Crown Princess Mary's Ladies-in-Waiting

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I look forward to seeing more of the new LIW. I wonder how one is chosen for the position. Is there an inside application process ie women of a certain rank or friends of Mary and Fred and quietly informed that they are being considered? It's very interesting. I'm sure with Tanja's background in PR, she is more than qualified. I wonder if they will be as close as Mary and Caroline.

Has Crownprincess Mary already had a private secretary before Caroline Heering? And if the answer is "yes" - what happend to the former private secretary? And if the answer is "no" - is it possible in the Danish Royal Family to create a new "job-position" without the agreement of the parliament?

In the official Crown Prince Couple site,D.K.H. Kronprinsparret - Deres Kongelige Højheder Kronprinsen og Kronprinsessens Hofstat,
there are two secretary positions:
Chefsekretær Anne Grethe Høffner
Sekretær Charlotte Hoff-Clausen
but these two work for the couple.
So Caroline will be Princess Mary's first private secretary.

I think the DRF is given money/budget from parliament but it is the DRF's decision on how they use the money to hire their own staff.

-Ayvee

We also don't know how they are going to divide work between the private secretaries. Caroline could be handeling more personal correspondance and gifts and best wishes sent by the general public. The other two could do official, patraonages and royal personal duties. By that I mean visiting Sweden or Grasten etc. They prob also communitcate with eveyone elses private secretaries too.

Do you mean Caroline Heering? Because Caroline will now be Mary's private secretary, and will occasionally be a L-I-W for Mary.
No!!! I mean the Lady in waiting before Caroline Heering...
Her name is: Countess Victoria Bernstorff-Gyldensteen

Is this right that Mary's new LIW is only black LIW or there any others too? For me it's shows absolute respect and I think it's very nice. Also I would like to know about first LIW (older lady) - what she's doing now?

I suppose it would be very difficult to refuse/decline the position of LIW. You would probably be ousted from the inner circle.

The first lady in waiting Victoria is home with her family. She does charity work and I believe is a friend of the Queen. I also thought I read at some point her husband had taken ill. But I cannot be sure it was her. I know she wanted to spend time with her family and at her home, which I believe is not near Copenhagen.

Will there be a special ceremony for Caroline Heering or the new lady-in-waiting?

First day on the job for Crown Princess Mary's new L-I-W, Tanja. The photo from was today's event, The Christmas Seal Foundation 2007 held at Tivoli.

Yes a little shy, she should smile more and be more natural! It's a job not a title!

To be l-i-w is foremost a privilege and an honor. It is not a job you apply for. These positions are reserved for a small group of people that are close to the royal family. Not something you would risk being fired from.

i'm sure its something you have to grow into, it's not normal to have photogs flashing, people yelling, crowding and the focus so close. i'm sure she doesn't want to do anything to embarrass the princess or call attention to herself- part of the job description is to be discreet. it's probably too new to be fun yet, later on i bet she loosens up and we'll see more smiles. she looked lovely and professional and represented Denmark very well imo. it's a very fine honor i wish her all the best.

Yes a little shy, she should smile more and be more natural! It's a job not a title!

I think the contrary :flowers: I think she was very well, imo. The one who has to smile and be natural is Princess Mary, the Crown Princess. Her Lady-in-waiting should be discrete and responsable all the time.

Yes she did seema bit shy but isnt that normal on the first day in the public eye with the Cp? She will get used to her role & she should attract any sort of attention away from the Cp, so i think, for her first outing, she did do really well.

Is it a ´real´ job in Denmark? Does she get paid for it?

Why ´of course`? In the UK, Luxembourg, Belgium and The Netherlands the ladies in waiting do not get paid. So it isn´t that logical that in Denmark they would. I am not sure about Norway but I believe that they don´t get paid in Sweden either.

Last edited:
I think they are probably paid considerable expenses, including a wardrobe allowance, but not a wage as such. Mary's first two LIWs have been wealthy women - perhaps the new LIW is paid a wage, because she clearly isn't independently wealthy ...

I said of course because to me that's a job like many others and even if she is wealthy she is working and she must get a salary for that!:flowers:

Last edited:
I think lady-in waiting in denmark are paid from the family's money.

Lovely photo, Royal Darkness. Seems they are getting along fine.

Adore her look I love black and white cannot stand the new lady in waiting she just doesnot seem to cut the mustard and just hope for an inprovement. I love Mary's hair now it has achieved a better length.

cannot stand the new lady in waiting she just doesnot seem to cut the mustard and just hope for an inprovement.
Not sure why you "can't stand" the new L-I-W? Is is because of how she looks? To me, I don't think there is anything remarkable about her. She just blends into the background. To be truthful with you, once I read your post, I actually had to go back and look for her, as I did not see her first time around. She is just a very understated lady. Very boring looking. Quite the contrast from her last L-I-W who sometimes out shone Pr.Mary. But then again, that is just my opinion. Each person is different in regards to how they dress. And maybe she likes being understated but does a great job otherwise?!

Last edited:
Not sure why you "can't stand" the new L-I-W? Is is because of how she looks? To me, I don't think there is anything remarkable about her. She just blends into the background. To be truthful with you, once I read your post, I actually had to go back and look for her, as I did not see her first time around. She is just a very understated lady. Very boring looking. Quite the contrast from her last L-I-W who sometimes out shone Pr.Mary. But then again, that is just my opinion. Each person is different in regards to how they dress. And maybe she likes being understated but does a great job otherwise?!

I like this new lady-in-waiting. She is pretty, and a little exotic like Princess Alexandra, and she and Mary look good together, since they are similar in size, body type and style, but different too. It seems that they get along well. I always wonder how they coordinate their clothes, since it always seems the lady-in-waiting (this and the previous one) match on style and color.

I noticed the lady-in-waiting has a pin in these pictures. It seems more elaborate (maybe it's just the ribbon) than the usual pin, sort of like the orders the female family members wear in some countries, Demark included.

I like this new lady-in-waiting. She is pretty, and a little exotic like Princess Alexandra, and she and Mary look good together, since they are similar in size, body type and style, but different too. It seems that they get along well. I always wonder how they coordinate their clothes, since it always seems the lady-in-waiting (this and the previous one) match on style and color.

I noticed the lady-in-waiting has a pin in these pictures. It seems more elaborate (maybe it's just the ribbon) than the usual pin, sort of like the orders the female family members wear in some countries, Demark included.
i notice the pin too, it looks with a photo, but i wonder what it is?anyones knows?

The LIW wears a gold monogram (M with crown) of Princess Mary with a blue ribbon background to indicate that she is Princess Mary's LIW. Caroline Heering also wears the ribbon with gold monogram when she acts as LIW to Princess Mary.

All other LIWs in Denmark for QMII and Princess Benedikte wear the respective monograms with a blue ribbon.

-Ayvee

Back
Top Bottom