Crown Princess Mary's Ladies-in-Waiting

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so, to make sure I understand, ladys-in-waiting serve the princess, making sure she remembers peoples' names, that she looks good, gives Mary advice, and more. And she is not paid, but gets to attend royal events, and even travels with Mary, right?

Are there as strict rules for Mary's ladys-in-waiting as there are for the British RF's?

Ladies-in-waiting don't get paid? Wow, I didn't know that...then their "pay" would be the privilage to attend all of the royal functions...

RachelD said:
Ladies-in-waiting don't get paid? Wow, I didn't know that...then their "pay" would be the privilage to attend all of the royal functions...

I didn't think they did...but I'm not sure

Xeara said:
When you really really think about it...a lady-in-waiting is a difficult job...especially to a *commoner* Princess...Firstly, people have been saying that she has to be an assistant and companion, advisor and confidante...They have their public and private lives (Caroline and Mary) but if I were Caroline I would find it difficult to be both a "friend of " and a "subject to" the Princess...considering Princess Mary is Australian-born and a commoner...Would that be a bitter pill to swallow, that the Princess she is serving is not Danish (born) and not from an aristocratic background? Those things may even make Caroline's job EASIER in a way...

I think it is a huge juggling act to be a lady-in-waiting to balance a genuine friendship with a serious public professional relationship...

I agree! I think it would be extremely difficult to be friends with your boss. There would also be a little voice in the back of you head reminding you not to get too friendly, to maintain some professionalism, because she's also your boss. I doubt I could switch back and forth from friend to assistant so easily. I once worked with a woman who was mean to me at work but wanted to be friends and hang out outside of work. That wasn't going to happen! I think it's gotta be either/or - friend & companion or assistant & advisors.

when I saw this photo I was asking myself who was she? I didn't recognize her immediately!! Yes she looks great and she is indeed really elegant!
I think she should get a salary... she is doing a job, she is working, although a different and peculiar job but she is working, so she must get a salary for that. I think is not fair not to pay her! She must work many hours overtime!

I think the benefits of being in the royal inner circle and attending fabulous events (basically being a "hanger-on" or "on the fringe"), getting a peek behind the royal curtain would be reward enough.

biboquinhas said:
when I saw this photo I was asking myself who was she? I didn't recognize her immediately!! Yes she looks great and she is indeed really elegant!
I think she should get a salary... she is doing a job, she is working, although a different and peculiar job but she is working, so she must get a salary for that. I think is not fair not to pay her! She must work many hours overtime!
Just because the dutch ladies in waiting dont get paid does not mean that the danish dont. This is different from court to court. Anyway the danish court is not famous for paying well:cool: . Further Mrs Caroline Heering is from a rich family and hardly needs the sallary, but my guess is that both Alexandras lady in waiting turned private secreatary and Marys do get some sort of pay in one way or another.

Last edited:
even if she is from a rich family I think everyone deserves to be paid for their work.

Larzen said:
Mrs Caroline Heering is from a rich family and hardly needs the sallary, but my guess is that both Alexandras lady in waiting turned private secreatary and Marys do get some sort of pay in one way or another.
Even if she is rich and doesn't necessarily need, there must be some kind of "budget", at least to cover the expenses with clothing and everything else...

As I said I belive she gets payed, Alexandras sercretary who does the same under a different title as well. They are both young women and I dont think many young women would work for free. And it is a fulltime job obiously, as she dont only accompany Mary but also has offiice duties in relation to her job. I belive Queen Margrethe has atleast 4 ladies in waiting, several from the nobility, and then it might not be a full time thing and therefor they might do with the "honour" or whatever you want to call it, or maybe the get payed as well, there are no anoucements on theese things.

Well, even in lay jobs where you live with your employer, the pay is usually slim. Its like an internship kind of.... pay isn't on their minds, I'm sure. Its the honour of serving the Royal Family. Like congressional pages, etc here in the uSA. Its not really a career....

Yes this lady in wating is more Beautiful than Mary, there is no doubt

catango said:

I disagree 100%!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
catango said:

I think there is quite a bit of doubt in that statement, actually.

I don't think that she doesn't get paid, she's part of the staff that assures the well being of royal members (in this case P.Mary), and that's where part of the royal budget $ goes to, 'their sttaf' ! & she dresses fancy, not as Mary obviously but really classy and chic!!!

catango said:
you might have a point just when you consider that this lady in waiting certainly didn't have the army of stylists to her disposal that Mary does. So one could conclude that, if compared to Mary-before-her-princess days, this lady in waiting certainly has an advantage in the natural beauty department.

But all the same, this isn't a contest and the cliche certainly applies here that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Linda Hsu said:
I disagree 100%!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
of course, when the 'beholder' hails from Mary's native Australia, the way they see things might become, well, a bit predictable sometimes in my opinion. ;)

Linda would you be as generous with elaborating on why you are of this opinion as you are with exclamation marks? :flowers: I agree that Mary certainly is arguably the best dressed crown princess Europe has seen lately. Is that what you mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
princess olga said:
of course, when the 'beholder' hails from Mary's native Australia, the way they see things might become, well, a bit predictable sometimes in my opinion. ;)
quote]
I wouldn't say predictable, I would say protective, looking out for her, mateship.

Australian said:
I wouldn't say predictable, I would say protective, looking out for her, mateship.
Understood, although of course this 'looking out for her' sometimes translates into a blind spot as large as the Australian continent if you ask moi;), for some members here, that is.
I mean, I am Dutch and a fan of my Quee beatrix, but golly if someone here is of the opinion her ladies in waiting are a bit better looking/better dressed/fillindablank I won't go out of my way contending she's the most beautiful queen that is walking the face of the earth, even though that is actually my opinion!
To go back on topic, my personal impression of Mary is that she is currently the crown princess with:
*the best hair
*best dressed CP by far, very current dresser, very classy dresser, even on paparazzi shot days when there isn't a stylist in sight so to speak.
*best skin! It just glows.

But more beautiful than her radiant and gorgeous lady in waiting? Not sure, as her lady in waiting has a beauty all of its own. Why oh why Aussies, not admit that.

I do agree with you princess olga, I mean, Mary does have her flaws, like everyone. And yes, some posters do have a blind spot to that and i completely know where you are coming from with that, because I see it too. Mary is good, not excellent, but good in my opinion.

As for beauty, there are millions and millions of women out there more beautiful than Mary. To some, she may be the most beautiful, to others she might not be. To me, she is just attractive, not an eye-popping beauty (but then again, i like simple beauty) Out of the Crown Princesses of Europe, to me, mary is the most attractive.

As for your last statement regarding us Aussies to admit the other lady is more beautiful, That is your opinion, im sure people can make up their own mind lol.

By the way, i think a persons most attractive features are their heart and soul, not necessarily outer beauty.

Last edited:
princess olga said:

Oh dear, sorry to disappoint you princess olga but I am an Australian who happens to think that both Mary and Caroline are beautiful in their own way. They are both very similar in many respects. Marriage, age, figures, sense of dress and I've no doubt personality. The only thing different as far as I can tell is that Mary is a Crown Princess and Caroline isn't. Caroline has beautiful hair and a genuine smile, I think she is very pretty. :flowers:

I don't think it's fair to say that any one of them is more attractive than the other, if it's a means of putting someone down. You can say that Caroline is more attractive than Mary in XYZ ways, and Mary is more attractive than Caroline in ABC ways. To me, that's saying they are both attractive women without saying that either one of them is ugly.

Sister Morphine said:
I don't think it's fair to say that any one of them is more attractive than the other, if it's a means of putting someone down. You can say that Caroline is more attractive than Mary in XYZ ways, and Mary is more attractive than Caroline in ABC ways. To me, that's saying they are both attractive women without saying that either one of them is ugly.

yes, very true Sister Morphine.

princess olga said:
But all the same, this isn't a contest and the cliche certainly applies here that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I agree with that.
Therefore I disagree with your attack against LindaHsu.
It was actually catanga who started all this by saying that Caroline is more beautiful, "there is no doubt".
I don't think Mary is a great flawless beauty
but - like Linda Hsu - I am tempted to disagree 100% when I read comments like that.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and therefore there is always room for doubts.

princess olga said:
you might have a point just when you consider that this lady in waiting certainly didn't have the army of stylists to her disposal that Mary does. So one could conclude that, if compared to Mary-before-her-princess days, this lady in waiting certainly has an advantage in the natural beauty department.

I agree Caroline is an attractive and elegant woman.
But have you ever seen her in her younger, before-lady-in-waiting-days,
with her natural haircolour?
I would definitely say she too has a stylist at her disposal.
(And Mary has only one personal stylist AFAIK, not an army.)

But more beautiful than her radiant and gorgeous lady in waiting? Not sure, as her lady in waiting has a beauty all of its own.

IMO both women have a natural but not flawless beauty
and know how to make the best of themselves.
But I really find Mary more radiant and gorgeous than Caroline.
Mary sparkles, Caroline doesn't IMO.

Last edited:
Caroline is an attractive lady, though I prefer Mary very much.

This is OT, though to me Mary was always a very pretty even somewhat beautiful woman. I remember a picture of her and Chris Mehan together. This was late in 2001 definitely long before she had an army of stylists. I thought allready in 2001 that the danish CP has finally found himself a very pretty and suitable woman for a serious relationship. Mary isn't the most perfect beauty I have seen in my life. Somehow for me there is something special around her. Probably I have simple the same bad taste as her husband. Frederik didn't need a perfect looking and groomed woman to fall in love with. One more reason to like him.

I think I have the rigth to say what I think about something, because this is a forum, and for that reaosn I put my statement, I'm not ofending Mary, I believe that Caroline is more beautiful than Mary. That's all.

catango said:
I think I have the rigth to say what I think about something, because this is a forum, and for that reaosn I put my statement, I'm not ofending Mary, I believe that Caroline is more beautiful than Mary. That's all.
I agree with you carengo about more of this post.:flowers:

My opinion:
Both ladies are beautiful one their own way.
But I think that Caroline sometimes looks much elegant than Mary. Another time Mary looks much elegant than her l-i-w.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
catango said:
I think I have the right to say what I think about something, because this is a forum, and for that reason I put my statement, I'm not offending Mary, I believe that Caroline is more beautiful than Mary. That's all.

You Do have the right to say what you think. So does everyone else. It's nice to hear differing opinions-that's what makes this forum interesting.:flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Australian said:
I do agree with you princess olga, I mean, Mary does have her flaws, like everyone. And yes, some posters do have a blind spot to that and i completely know where you are coming from with that, because I see it too. Mary is good, not excellent, but good in my opinion.

As for beauty, there are millions and millions of women out there more beautiful than Mary. To some, she may be the most beautiful, to others she might not be. To me, she is just attractive, not an eye-popping beauty (but then again, i like simple beauty) Out of the Crown Princesses of Europe, to me, mary is the most attractive.

As for your last statement regarding us Aussies to admit the other lady is more beautiful, That is your opinion, im sure people can make up their own mind lol.

By the way, i think a persons most attractive features are their heart and soul, not necessarily outer beauty.
Good points, Australian. Keep in mind I said <some> Aussies, not the majority.:flowers:

ricarda said:
I agree with that.
Therefore I disagree with your attack against LindaHsu.
I didn't attack anyone. But if someone makes an ultra brief statement (i e 'I disagree') and accompanies it with a myriad of exclamation points, is it too much asked to ask if they care to elaborate on their points a little bit? Without some sort of discussion as to <why> they think a certain way, this forum would be less what it is today, I think.

By the way, I didn't know Caroline's not really a redhead? Anyway, both ladies have their own qualities and moreover, I say, good for Mary for having a lady in waiting who's her own generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom