Crown Princess Mary's Ladies-in-Waiting

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She is younger and has vibrant red hair. How well does she get along with Mary?

They must get along very well... otherwise I doubt that the new lady in waiting (apart from her quite pretty and attention grabbing red-hair) has worn, at least on some of the pictures posted here, more colorful outfits than the Crown Princess....Ussually, a lady-in-waiting will wear something less elaborate or colorful than who she attends: in more lay-man's terms: the brides' maids shouldn't upstage the bride... or however that saying goes... :)Princess Mary is hard to upstage, because not only is she given the place and precedence in all events, but she does look quite beautiful in her own right - however, I would have to say that her new lady-in-waiting should perhaps tone it down a bit to the more discreet glamour of the CPss... I do imagine, however, that they must have a good relationship. From what I understand, Mrs. Herring is the wife of the CP's friend - I imagine they must have met and shared "off-duty" time together and become friends before the appointment... hopefully they have a good run :)PS What-ever did happen to the elegant previous hofdame though? Was her term of service up? Did she resign? Is she on a rota with the new hofdame and will come again into service every-other year? Hope someone has a bit of info on the matter...PSS Is this a paid job or merely honorary and having a stipendium for incurred expenses?

H.M. Margrethe said:
magnik the blue ribbon you se on the left side on Caroline Heering jacket is CP Marys personly monogram.

Thank you H.M. Margrethe. Have you or anyone closer picture of it?

according to the Danis Royal website, Victoria is still a lady in waiting. (The danish part of the website has this)

Empress said:
according to the Danis Royal website, Victoria is still a lady in waiting. (The danish part of the website has this)

Ther is somthing i don´t understand then....because according to CP Mary´s and CP Frederiks website it says that CP Marys lady in waiting is from the 1/3-06 Caroline Heering.

princess olga said:
It seems that the Danish princesses (Alex & Mary) both chose people from their age groups, from their own generation, to be their ladies-in-waiting. Good for them, I'd have done exactly the same. In contrast, if I remember correctly, Maxima of the Netherlands's lady in waiting is a woman 'of a certain age', closer seemingly in age to Maxima's mother in law than to Maxima herself.

Which makes me wonder, and I guess it's different for each royal house, how the various members of royal families, especially the 'newer' ones like Mary, pick their person-in-waiting? Wonder what the process is, etc.
Sorry if this has b een asked before, but I'm just curious.

i think it depends to each royal house how ladies in waiting are chosen. i think maxima, for example, always had this woman of certain age with her, just as mary had hofdame victoria before caroline. i guess some houses allow the princesses to choose their l-i-w after they have for a certain time the ones the king/queen chooses, or some other princesses just stay with the assigned one for a long time (or at least until they are queens consort, and they can choose their own ones by themselves). again, it all depends on which court we are talking about. i guess if they were all allowed to choose them, practically all of them would choose young l-i-w...

Do we know the reason why the previous lady in waiting left - Victoria?
Is it a common practice that each lady in waiting only serves for a few years and moves on?

Eliza said:
Do we know the reason why the previous lady in waiting left - Victoria?
Is it a common practice that each lady in waiting only serves for a few years and moves on?
It seems to differ; I think that QMII has (have) had ladies in waiting who have been with her for many years. In this link http://www.kongehuset.dk/artikel.php?id=75619&dogtag=k_dk_aktuelt_presse (sorry, only in Danish) you can read that QMII's younger sister Benedicte just had a new L-I-W announced this January. Her former L-I-W had been with her since 1990.
I cannot be sure, but I would guess that Mary's first L-I-W was a deliberate choice, perhaps by QMII, as being the one to sort of ease Mary into the type of engagements she will be doing and that Mary would then eventually choose one herself - just like QMII and her sister Benedikte do.
Victoria may also have wanted to only carry out this job for a limited period.

UserDane said:
Victoria may also have wanted to only carry out this job for a limited period.

Understandable really.

I have moved the posts discussing the Monograms of the Danish Royal Family to the (renamed) Danish Orders & Monograms thread.

Warren
Danish Forums moderator

Mary's new lady in waiting looks gorgeouse in this very short clips;) She also seems to know what/when she should wear. I think she has a "model looked", if I don't know who is the royal I will spot her with her red head and a good silhouete before spot on Mary. http://www.infocast.dk/eb/mediamaker.php?id=2020 (post by Larzen). I think Mary is happy to have a new LIW who is not very diffrent in age and has simmilar situation (mother of young infant) and perhaps they have same interest in fashion thing. BTW, does anybody know how tall she is?

Last edited:
I read elsewhere that Victoria's job was only going to be for 2 years.

Stellad

H.M. Margrethe said:
Ther is somthing i don´t understand then....because according to CP Mary´s and CP Frederiks website it says that CP Marys lady in waiting is from the 1/3-06 Caroline Heering.
Mrs. Heering was appointed lady-in-waiting on March 1. Mrs. Bernstorff-Gyldensteen resigns from her position on April 30, just as it has been planned since her appointment two years ago.

For more excellent indepth information on both ladies-in-waiting, go to the magnificent site of Danish Royal Watchers: http://danishroyalwatchers.blogspot.com/ (read post: "Changeover of Mary's lady-in-waiting")

/Lasse Pedersen

I really like Mary's new lady-in-waiting, Catherine. I think she's beautiful and it looks like she thoroughly enjoys what she's doing. It seems like she's a good friend to Mary too and gives her support. I hope we see more of Catherine, I'm sure we will. :)

Caroline is very beautiful, but don't you think she should be mucht more low profile than she is?I think sometimes we can get really confused and ask who is the princess??????

Ive read these comments before, but I dont see her (Caroline) taking a high profile in any of the pictures i've seen. Is there any picture or article that shows this behavior of her? i will appreciate to see them.

Caroline with her stunning looks will simply not fade into the background even if required. She may not seek the attention but she will get it anyway - a beautiful redhead will never go un-noticed.

grevinnan said:
Caroline with her stunning looks will simply not fade into the background even if required. She may not seek the attention but she will get it anyway - a beautiful redhead will never go un-noticed.

Yes that is true. I found a pic when they went to the zoo where Caroline looked stunning. She is very charming and i dont think that can be hided. What i dont see is an attitude on her to steel the focus on the princess, she has always remained in her place. The other dresses that she has used are quite normal and for sure not better than those used by the old lady in waiting. The difference is that Caroline is young and has a different type than Mary so she will probably will call the attention even when it is unwanted.

How often does Mary get a new lady in waiting? Who chooses Mary's lady in waiting? Who appoints Mary's lady in waiting?

To all newcomers,

Please read through this thread before asking similar questions because these questions have been asked and answered several times before and there is a good chance you will find an answer even before someone spots your post.

Thanks for your understanding.

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator

Wow! Caroline is really beutiful lady!
How many ladies in waiting has Mary? I heard about late princess Diana, she had 5 (!).

caroline is gorgeous.. between the two and looking at their pictures i'd say caroline has more charisma that princess mary.. but then again mary is mary because she is a princess.. but i still like her though

If I wouldn't know who is who? I would say that Caroline is a CPss:D
(on these photos posted by HRHAmy)

Last edited:
It is an interesting position - I think just as much as being an assistant to Mary, her lady-in-waiting is a public servant and represents, for her part, Denmark too. Also, it puts you in a place where no "creative input" is allowed - Mary could be standing on her head, dressed from head to toe in green and yellow dots (not that she ever would!), and the poor lady-in-waiting would have to behave herself. But they look stunning together, and probably work very well.

Well I think that now we've got two beautiful women to look to. Mary still got a wonderful "class" and Caroline really seems to enjoy what she's doing. The both are really in a complete harmony. Only hope that Caroline will still remember that she's a lady-in-waiting and not the princess. But she seems to be intelligent and I'm sure she knows what to do and not to do. Hope I'll be right. But I agree with you Gudeeya, Caroline is gorgeous, even if for me, Mary's the best.

gudeeya said:
caroline is gorgeous.. between the two and looking at their pictures i'd say caroline has more charisma that princess mary.. but then again mary is mary because she is a princess.. but i still like her though

Caroline is a nice surprise for me, I was not expecting a lady in waiting with such elegant presence. Imo Carline is very charismatic and she will be a great asset to Mary's work.
I will not be surprise if Caroline becomes a new Dannish fashion icon, not in the same scale as Mary but still.

Back
Top Bottom