Crown Princess Mary's Ladies-in-Waiting

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Adore her look I love black and white cannot stand the new lady in waiting she just doesnot seem to cut the mustard and just hope for an inprovement. I love Mary's hair now it has achieved a better length.

Very strong words based on a few photos of someone walking and sitting...Doesn't add up. What is is offensive to you about her? How she sits? How she walks? Because based on these photos, I can't tell that she doesn't "cut the mustard." Mary is smiling and laughing with her so I guess to Mary, she is doing okay? :ermm:

cannot stand the new lady in waiting she just doesnot seem to cut the mustard and just hope for an inprovement.

Totally agree with you on this point bertie. I don't know what it is about her that bothers me? She doesn't seem to have the same style and confidence that Caroline had. I miss Caroline. :flowers:

Last edited:
The Hofdam is meant to blend into the background. She is there to assist, not to front.

How the incumbent doesn't 'cut the mustard', I'm not sure. And I don't understand how anyone here can make that judgement.

Last edited:
I noticed the lady-in-waiting has a pin in these pictures. It seems more elaborate (maybe it's just the ribbon) than the usual pin, sort of like the orders the female family members wear in some countries, Demark included.

It's not an order. It is the same pin Caroline wears. It is a simple gold M on a pale blue ribbon. It just signifies that she is Mary's liw. Alex's liw had them too. But hers was an A. The light is reflecting off it funny in some shots. But in others you can make out the M.

The other lady-in-waiting used to out-dress Mary, what happened to her?

The new one is very pretty and (judging by her clothing) not interested in out-shining Mary. Who is she?

That was Caroline Heering. She is still Mary's lady in waiting. She did the military training with Mary. Now she has taken the more prominent role of her personal secretary. She is also on the board of the Mary foundation. She shares liw duties with the new one.

Hi Burberry Brit I am just giving my opinion and find it easier in this forum situation not to get too involved in backward/forward disagreements that often get out of hand and I am certain that wasn't your intention either am happy to be hear all sides am thrilled you like her and I hope I get to see her in a better light with the help of good folks like you.

Bertie,

May I ask as to how you feel Mary's new Hofdam can improve?

It's my observation that you're prepared to state most insistantly that Tanja isn't up to scratch, though you fall short of supporting you're own view. So you would surely better serve you're opinion if you share with us what it is you don't like about Tanja K. Doky, or, why it is you feel she isn't appropriate for the role...:)

Last edited:
Bertie,

May I ask as to how you feel Mary's new Hofdam can improve?

It's my observation that you're prepared to state most insistantly that Tanja isn't up to scratch, though you fall short of supporting you're own view. So you would surely better serve you're opinion if you share with us what it is you don't like about Tanja K. Doky, or, why it is you feel she isn't appropriate for the role...:)

Mary's new HOFDAM (LIW) could perhaps improve by not appearing to be such a frump.
Tanja doesn't appear to have the same class and style as Caroline which is apparent in the most recent photo's. She seems to be old fashioned and frumpy which, as a LIW is, in my own personal opinion, a downfall.
We are all entitled to our own opinion, as we are often told on the forum.
Just as you think she is doing a good job, others may think she is not. :ohmy:

Thanks crisscross yws I think you expressed it clearly infact took the words right out of my mouth. She is very much less dignified in her appearance and carriage during the engagements. She is NOT Mary's friend she's the the Hofdame huge difference in public their relationship in private is onlt speculation.

Well, I hold judgement on her dress. (The new Hofdame) Maybe she's not a fashion person. She's not upstaging Mary. Caroline is very wealthy who knows if Tanya is. I know her husband is a famous jazz musician in Denmark, but who really knows.

anyone would please post any photo of Caroline, thank you

ashelen, here are two pics of Caroline:

but you can see much more pics of her here

Does anyone know if Caroline lived with Mary while she was Lady in Waiting?

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/mary-s-lady-waiting-2311.html

this thread has links and stories about all 3 of her l-i-w's. she had one,victoria, right after her marriage. she retired and caroline took over, now she has moved "up" a position and shares duties with tanja. i haven't seen tanja except for a few events but imo she's seems to be doing a good job, she's supposed to be "unassuming" and unnoticed but attentive and professional. i like caroline, she is such a gorgeous woman if you didn't know the parties involved, it would be easy to confuse which was the princess, i don't think you have that situation with tanja- you have to look for her in photos. the most recent photos of caroline are with mary in photos at the Danish Home Guard training day, she's the lady next to mary at the table and with rifles and emergency training.

Does anyone know if Caroline lived with Mary while she was Lady in Waiting?

no, she has a husband and children. they seem to be friends away from "work" also.

Last edited by a moderator:
ashelen, here are two pics of Caroline:

but you can see much more pics of her here
Thank you so much!!!!!!she looks with a lot of class! i like her!
is she still working forMary?

Last edited:
Caroline is now working as a private secretary for Mary, and sometimes acts as her Lady in Waiting aka the Hofdam.

Mary's new HOFDAM (LIW) could perhaps improve by not appearing to be such a frump.
Tanja doesn't appear to have the same class and style as Caroline which is apparent in the most recent photo's. She seems to be old fashioned and frumpy which, as a LIW is, in my own personal opinion, a downfall.

I thank you for you're response, crisscross, though you are not Bertie and Bertie can speak for herself.

I don't see why you found the need to remind me that we are all entitled to our own opnion, as if to insinuate I'm unaware of such rights.

Bertie had made a statement which lacks clear reason to support her observation. To be unambiguous during such exchanges, allows us to better understand an objecting point of view, so my asking Bertie to elaborate is a perfectly cordial and appropriate response. Allowing her to better express her view, is all I respectively sought.

Tanja isn't Caroline, though I'm sure is fulfilling her duties the best way she knows how. I'm not really phased if you think otherwise, or even Bertie for that matter. They are you're opinions, you're more than welcome to them and I have not an ounce of interest in trying to change that.

What I would like to know though, given this is a discussion forum, is why Bertie feels this way and how she feels the Hofdam can improve, to better her image.

I'm not singling Bertie out, rather, am interested to hear her reason...:flowers:

Last edited:
She, Bertie, pretty much answered your previous question (though not directly), though you seemed to have missed it:

She is very much less dignified in her appearance and carriage during the engagements.

If Bertie decides to elaborate, that is her choice, but we shouldn't push her into doing so just to satisfy a few. Some members are not as thick-skinned as others, MR.

Nonetheless, I do understand where you are coming from. In the meantime, just ease back a bit, especially when it comes to new members who are not as knowledgeable as you when it comes to Mary and so forth. M'kay? Thanks.

:)

Cheers for providing the extract.

No one is forcing Bertie to respond, GT. And I've certainly not been pushy. I asked once.

It is her decision as to whether or not she wishes to respond. Ease up? I've neither been rude or agumentative and made clear the tone of my posts.

I will await a response to my question and if I'm obliged, great, if not then no big deal. Whatever she feels comfortable with...:flowers:

Last edited:

Tanja hardly looks frumpy. She's different than Caroline obviously, so they aren't going to look the same. From what I've seen, Tanja is stylish, poised and looks reserved. She's not there to steal the show. She's in the service of the Crown Princess. I also fail to see her lack of class. Has she flashed her breasts to the camera or worn an inappropriate length of skirt? I think it's a bit harsh to say the lady has no class. I don't think there needs to be a battle between the two. I like Caroline and I like Tanja too. :flowers:

I agree with BurberryBrit. Tanja is attractive and seems like she is very attentive to Mary. She has a very different look from Caroline, but is lovely also. She is dressed elegantly, and seems like she is doing a good job.

Caroline is now working as a private secretary for Mary, and sometimes acts as her Lady in Waiting aka the Hofdam.
thank you! i thought that liw and private secretary was almost the same! so how many people is working for mary?

Now that I'm not sure of, but on Fred and Mary's website, they have a list of staff, but it's for both of them, I think. Here's the list.

• Hofchef, kammerherre, cand.jur. Per Thornit
  • Privatsekretær, Hofdame, cand.merc. Caroline E. Heering
  • Hofdame Tanja Elise Kjærsgaard Doky
  • Chefsekretær Anne Grethe Høffner
  • Kontorfuldmægtig Bodil Jensen
  • Sekretær Charlotte Hoff-Clausen
  • Hoffourer Knud Momme
  • Hoffourerassistent Vagn Andersen
  • Hoffourerassistent Daniel Brandt Jørgensen
  • Kammertjener Allan Christensen
  • Kammerjomfru Tina Jørgensen
P.S I've noticed that Jørgensen is a very common name in Denmark...lol.

I think Caroline has done a very good job as LIW, she is very beautiful and even if she tried to be out of focus she couldn't because people would always look at her, even if she didn't want to! I think that she tried to be always behind Mary and she did it but she is such a gorgeous woman and sometimes she could really take Mary's focus. I think Caroline has Julianne Moore's face.
Maybe because of that they change to a new LIW, a more normal and out of focus women was the ideal. Tanja is lovely and elegant but too mucht, she is a normal person and maybe that was a important thing!

Last edited:
I think they are both Tanja and caroline are fine in thier own way , the world would be so boring if everyone was the same. carry on the good work ladies

Royalportraits have a picture of Caroline Heering at New Year, but id ont have a membership, I was wondering if someone who does would be able to place the picture on a hosting site???

Many thanks

Now that I'm not sure of, but on Fred and Mary's website, they have a list of staff, but it's for both of them, I think. Here's the list.
  • Hofchef, kammerherre, cand.jur. Per Thornit
  • Privatsekretær, Hofdame, cand.merc. Caroline E. Heering
  • Hofdame Tanja Elise Kjærsgaard Doky
  • Chefsekretær Anne Grethe Høffner
  • Kontorfuldmægtig Bodil Jensen
  • Sekretær Charlotte Hoff-Clausen
  • Hoffourer Knud Momme
  • Hoffourerassistent Vagn Andersen
  • Hoffourerassistent Daniel Brandt Jørgensen
  • Kammertjener Allan Christensen
  • Kammerjomfru Tina Jørgensen
P.S I've noticed that Jørgensen is a very common name in Denmark...lol.
:flowers:i was reading all this list of people but it is not the names for the nanies and i am sure they have more than one maid, they show here only one.

i'm assuming this is the personal listing of employees (i'm sure there are many more, that are on the palace employee list) to the CP couple paid with their state allowance, while the nannies would be paid privately with their own money. just a guess.

There was a newspaper article some time ago reporting that they have over 27 servants in total...

Back
Top Bottom