Crown Princess Mary's 40th Birthday: February 5, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muhler

Imperial Majesty
City
Eastern Jutland
Country
Denmark
According to Billed Bladet Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsesse Mary overlader rampelyset til svigermor
(There is a little gallery as well).

Mary has declined all publicity in connection with her 40th birthday. According to the article not to detract from the attention around QMII and her jubilee. (And perhaps our Marie giving birth as well?)
Mary has (and apparantly intends) to remain in the background during the celebrations of QMII.

- Not sure how correct all that is, so let's cut to the facts: There will be no public events in connection with Mary turning 40.

You know I think that won't happen...There would have to be something because it is just coincidence that Mary's year of birth is 1972 and Margrethe became Queen in 1972...IS this going to happen in 10 years too?...Mary sacrificing 50th birthday celebrations in favour of Margrethe's 50th jubilee, I think not!...Why not make it one long party in 2022? Starting with the twins on the 8th Jan, Jubilee on the 14th Jan, a weeks break before starting the Feb celebrations of Mary and Marie...And don't forget Marie and Joachim's youngest bub in there somewhere, who will be turning 10 years old...2022 is looking like the year of milestones... ;)

Last edited:
It's a real shame if she's having to sacrifice celebrating her 40th birthday for her mother-in-law and her sister-in-laws baby arrival. I would love to see an event like Frederik's 40th.

I don't think Mary would mind if there is no big party for her birthdays.It's not a big deal.I think she would much prefer to celebrate in private.

who know may be mary is like she doesnt like to celebrate her birhtdy for women is diferent to hit the 40s!

I think Frederik will throw a party for Mary like Mary threw a party for Frederik on this 40th birthday (maybe he'll even sing for her like she sang for him ;)). Inviting a couple of European royals but not making a too big thing out of it.

It's a real shame if she's having to sacrifice celebrating her 40th birthday for her mother-in-law and her sister-in-laws baby arrival. I would love to see an event like Frederik's 40th.

I don't think she is sacrificing anything. Simply she doesn't want to celebrate big with all the attention. She might have a party with just close friends (may include European royals) and family. Some people don't like the birthday attention and personally myself, I never understood the big 30/40/50 etc celebrations.

You know I think that won't happen...There would have to be something because it is just coincidence that Mary's year of birth is 1972 and Margrethe became Queen in 1972...IS this going to happen in 10 years too?...Mary sacrificing 50th birthday celebrations in favour of Margrethe's 50th jubilee, I think not!...Why not make it one long party in 2022? Starting with the twins on the 8th Jan, Jubilee on the 14th Jan, a weeks break before starting the Feb celebrations of Mary and Marie...And don't forget Marie and Joachim's youngest bub in there somewhere, who will be turning 10 years old...2022 is looking like the year of milestones... ;)
Quite the coincidence. But the Swedish royal family nailed it totally. Prince Daniel is born on exactly the same day King Carl Gustaf became King.

:bang::angry::bangin:and i hate all the time when everybody remind you how old you turn!!!!!

HRH crown princess mary of Denmark is to turn 40. Well firstly happy birthday your highness and secondly I believe Mary will always be a beautiful royal as a mother and Queen no matter what age she is;)

Grandduchess24 said:
HRH crown princess mary of Denmark is to turn 40. Well firstly happy birthday your highness and secondly I believe Mary will always be a beautiful royal as a mother and Queen no matter what age she is;)

Mary doesn't turn 40 until February 5th. She's still 39 for a few more weeks.

As you know Mary will turn 40 in a couple of days.

Amber Petty has arrived in DK, to celebrate Mary's birthday.

Billed Bladet-s Anna Johannesen has written a pretty extensive background article about Mary on that occassion, however there is little that can be news to readers of this forum.

A couple of things however. She dated a guy for three years, when she was in her teens and he is now 40, married and a father. He said about Mary: "Then the Danes will get a great queen. That I guarantee, because Mary is not only pretty and bright. Her heart is also in the right place".
The name of the former sweetheart is not mentioned in the article.

If you wanna go Mary-spotting:
When they lived in Kancellihuset at Fredensborg, she usually went for a jog in the park there. Nowadays she can be seen jogging to Kastellet (a military installation, that is part of the fortifications around Copenhagen) and along Langelinie (a quay), often accompanied by Ziggy.
Here is a Google view: Amalienborg and surroundings - Kopi.JPG - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

While in Belgium Mary was asked whether she's looking forward to her birthday: "Yes, I sure am. I'd say very much".

Q: How are you about turning 40?
Mary: "But I am almost 40 already".

Last edited:
Yes,I am sure she will make a great queen and will work hard for Denmark.

Royal Forums has reported, incorrectly, that Princess Mary turns forty today.
Her 40th birthday is on the fifth of February.

A number of articles have already been written on the occasion of Mary turning 40.
They are basically summing up her accomplishments since she became known to the general public.
And let me say that Mary can be pretty pleased with the reviews so far!

Here is one such article from the conservative newspaper Berlingske Tidende: Professionel prinsesse med modertække - Nationalt | www.b.dk

Here Lars Hovbakke Sørensen, an expert on the DRF and a name we have seen often here in this forum, and Klaus Kjøller, lecturer in communication assess Mary.

Lars Hovbakke says: "The biggest surprise about Mary has been that she from the beginning has performed so professionally as Crown Princess, without any royal experience. (*) Just like Margrethe she has taken her royal role very seriously".

Klaus Kjøller adds: "And that fact, that Mary has an ordinary, commoner background, should have made the role as Crown Princess difficult for her. - She has build up a strong brand, due to not making any mistakes. Nothing has popped up from her past at all, which has ruined the image of her. And that can otherwise be a big problem, when a commoner is elavated to royalty, that they can have a past, which pops up, as we have for example seen with the Norwegian Crown Princess". (**)

She also performs well at events.

Lars Hovbakke: "She always show up well prepared to the events, she is taking part in. Her field of tasks is also wide, as she is interested in health, illness, the conditions of children and fashion, which are all particular subjects she has cultivated".

Klaus Kjøller: "She has a particular form of presence at public events and she seems to be in her right element, when she recieves bouquets and listens to people. She is, apart from that, good at improvising and (she) can for example leave the tightly coreographed route/shedule in order to greet a perticular dedicated child".

- That is in line with other articles I've glansed in the last couple of days, and indeed in general. Mary is considered very professional indeed and dedicated.

(*) Mrs. Muhler, who firmly believes in reincarnation and soulfamilies says it's no coincidence. Mary was born to become a royal. She has probably been a royal before in past lives.
And she and frederik were destined to meet.
Personally I don't believe in reincarnation, I believe that if you have the basic talent you will grow with your role and fill it out. Many fail, but Mary and our Marie as well are among those who grow in their roles.
A Mary in an alternative universe, where she never met Frederik, would probably not even imagine herself being able to fulfill the role as Crown Princess.
It only shows that there are hidden resources within most of us, just waiting to come out.

(**) For whatever reason Mette-Marit is often singled out when assessing the DRF in such articles. - We can be snobs here in DK as well, I guess....

Thanks for that Muhler. I am proud that Mary has done such a wonderful job of representing Denmark. I wonder if they will go to Verbier as usual?

Thanks Muhler.I am glad Mary takes her role very seriously and is dedicated;the way a future queen should be.

Hope we'll have a beautiful photoshoot tomorrow for her 40th birthday!

Personally I don't believe in reincarnation, I believe that if you have the basic talent you will grow with your role and fill it out. Many fail, but Mary and our Marie as well are among those who grow in their roles.

It only shows that there are hidden resources within most of us, just waiting to come out.

Thanks for posting these articles, Muhler. I especially enjoyed your last paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous! Love these photos, she looks beautiful. How do I choose a favourite?

I love the portriats! Mary looks amazing!

Considering that Mary is the CP of Denmark, I dont like the style of these photos. They look like a fashion shoot / vogue homestory of a celebrity.

Mary looks ok, not more, but I dont get a royal or regal vibe at all, its rather Hollywood. I understand most of these photos are magazine shots, not official portraits released by the court - even less understandable that there is no trace of her husband or children but only the family dog.

Some poses are really strange, like the one sitting on her desk. The model-wanna-be photos are awful. Mary should leave the posing to the professionals.

Less would have been more, and a focus on the position (the CP consort), see Maxima's birthday shots.

:previous:
I agree, I would have love to have seen a more regal Mary, ruby tiara an all. Perhaps more pictures will be released during the week. It's a shame there's not a family shot, considering we haven't seen one since this time last year. Mary does look beautiful though.

Beautiful pictures of the birthday child. Can't see how these are particularly model wanna-be. I love how they have used the cold winter light.

Mary apparently had a birthday party Saturday night at Amalienborg. Ekstrabladet.dk, BT.dk and VG.no all have stories of a SAS flight early from Copenhagen which had to be evacuated because smoke developed in the cabin during the start procedure.
The Norwegian CP couple was on board - after having been at Mary's birthday party.

Excerpt from a larger interview in Berlingske Tidende: »Jeg synes, det er dejligt at blive ældre« - Nationalt | www.b.dk

Where Mary talks about turning 40.

Berlingske Tidende, being a Copenhagener paper, is hardly sold at all here in Jutland, so I don't have access to the entire interview. Perhaps someone has? And can give us a review?

Mary: "I think it's lovely/nice to be older. I don't think about my physical age. I am in a wonderful period of my life. As a forty year old you just know so much more about what life is about. It's about being present here and now - but I'm also looking forward to continuing journey".
være til stede her og nu – men jeg glæder mig også til min fortsatte rejse.«

Q: What are your thoughts on the journey you have embarked on?
Mary: "40 years is a special day/turning point, but I really don't that the day itself has taken up much room in my thoughts. I feel more like I, in the time up to my birthday - perhaps for the entire past year - have been in a period of reflection in my life".
Mary acknowledge that even though it has been "a wonderful journey", it has also at times been more challenging than she might have admitted to herself: "I flt very strongly that I had to prove that I could live up to the expecations".

Q: How did you tackle the role as Crown Princess?
Mary: "I have all the time felt that I had grabbed the sides that are important to me, which I was interested in; How do I use my skills and abillities for the benefit of Denmark? How do I best represent Denmark as the person I am"?
She ads that she has naturally sought advise and observed and learned from the other members of the DRF.
"How do the go about it? How can I contribute to the big picture and at the same time be myself within my field? And that's the personal touch, which all members of the DRF have".

Q: What does the respons you get from the population mean to you personally?
Mary: "It can still be experienced as very overwhelming, when you come out and meet the warmth that radiates towards you. It's nice to feel that you have the backing in the population for what you do". (*)

(*) Mary, as with the rest of the DRF and the media too for that matter, use the word population, instead of people. As the word people in Danish in this context has an hint of subjects in it. Population in this context is more neutral, more like fellow citizens.

The DRF english page says the CP has 5 kids but lists 4. :) I emailed them they had their number incorrect (unless they are counting Tiggy too).

I was also surprised that there were no photos taken with the family, but perhaps the objective was to concentrate on the birthday girl herself in this series of shots.

BTW, what is the breed of that beautiful dog?

Last edited:
:previous:
I agree, I would have love to have seen a more regal Mary, ruby tiara an all. Perhaps more pictures will be released during the week. It's a shame there's not a family shot, considering we haven't seen one since this time last year. Mary does look beautiful though.
But that is not true. They released a family shot in november 2011.

The DRF english page says the CP has 5 kids but lists 4. :) I emailed them they had their number incorrect (unless they are counting Tiggy too).
Where does it says they have 5 children and not 4?

Berlingske Tidende, being a Copenhagener paper, is hardly sold at all here in Jutland, so I don't have access to the entire interview. Perhaps someone has? And can give us a review?
I´ll buy the newspaper on my way home, ´cause it says on the webpage for Berlingske that there are private photos taken by CPss Mary of the children :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom