Crown Princess Mary's 40th Birthday: February 5, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love those photos...It always seemed that Mary was a bit 'small' when pregnant with TWINS, but that private photo with Isabella patting her tummy shows that she obviously 'popped out' during the last weeks of her pregnancy, because that belly is HUGE, I can definitely see two babies in there ;)

The "private" photos are fantastic, its a shame they usually prefer the celebrity style when publishing "official" pictures.

Its good to see they can do "natural" and "normal" too, hopefully more often in the future.

Great photos, I lovetheon with Isabella putingthehand in thebig belly and theone with thetwins on her backpack! and to seethere "living room"? great photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you so much for posting them

Considering that Mary is the CP of Denmark, I dont like the style of these photos. They look like a fashion shoot / vogue homestory of a celebrity.

Mary looks ok, not more, but I dont get a royal or regal vibe at all, its rather Hollywood. I understand most of these photos are magazine shots, not official portraits released by the court - even less understandable that there is no trace of her husband or children but only the family dog.

Some poses are really strange, like the one sitting on her desk. The model-wanna-be photos are awful. Mary should leave the posing to the professionals.

Less would have been more, and a focus on the position (the CP consort), see Maxima's birthday shots.
I felt exactly the same way when I saw the 12 or 13 shots that bt published. Many were poses for models, with no connection to the position.
However, when you see the 4 images chosen on the official website, they are 4 "informal" shots to mark a 40 year old birthday and seem quite appropriate (no dogs, no soccer)

The "private" photos are fantastic, its a shame they usually prefer the celebrity style when publishing "official" pictures.

Its good to see they can do "natural" and "normal" too, hopefully more often in the future.

You liked the photos of Maxima and there was nothing normal or natural with those photos. They were all very much posed with wonderful jewels and clothing. Normal is not standing with a beautiful gown and a tiara on. Normal is kicking a ball for her dog and sitting on the couch.

Maxima
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f48/princess-m-ximas-40th-birthday-may-17th-2011-a-29999.html
Post 19, 22 (scroll down):flowers:

There are no pictures of Haakon & MM arriving at the palace but we know they were in town. Could it be the couple are staying with Frederik & Mary at the palace?

Oh how I would love to know what some of the guests brought CP Mary in those packages for her birthday celebration.

Last edited:
There are no pictures of Haakon & MM arriving at the palace but we know they were in town. Could it be the couple are staying with Frederik & Mary at the palace?

So far there is at least a pic of Crown Prince Haakon arriving by car, we may get more soon.

** Pic **

** svenskdam.se: Kronprinsessan Mary firades i Danmark ** translation **

** hellomagazine: Princess Mary greets her 40th with glamour and grace **

** hola: Nuevos retratos oficiales de Mary de Dinamarca con motivo de su 40º cumpleaños ** translation **

Last edited:
Well, Ziggy is absolutely beautiful and Mary would certainly make a good soccer player with that high kick of the ball. The light is wonderful in the outdoor photos.

its actually an Aussie Rules style kick which is hilarious doing it with a soccer ball! I think Mary may have a sense of humour. :lol:

Thank you Roskilde for the pics and Muhler for the translation.

Roskilde, thank you for those wonderful photos :) I esp. love the photo of "Riddersalen", so nice to see how they have furnished their home.

Oh, and of course I simply adore the photos of the family - and the text under the one of CP Frederik "My Beloved Husband" :wub::wub::wub:

You liked the photos of Maxima and there was nothing normal or natural with those photos. They were all very much posed with wonderful jewels and clothing. Normal is not standing with a beautiful gown and a tiara on. Normal is kicking a ball for her dog and sitting on the couch.

Maxima
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f48/princess-m-ximas-40th-birthday-may-17th-2011-a-29999.html
Post 19, 22 (scroll down):flowers:

Maxima's photos are normal or natural for a CP representing a country. I dont see anything normal or natural for a CP to pose like a catalogue model or celebrity (most of the pictures, not all of them) but Mary has a history of doing that, why am I surprised.

And the same old regurgitated criticisms, why am I not surprised :D:p

On a more serious note, what type of photography do feel would better serve Mary's position/image when having official photos taken?

I actually found Maxima's photo's rather unimpressionable myself. There was nothing particularly special about them and although she dressed for the occasion, I still think a better choice of scenery could have been chosen.

As for Mary I think a potrait or two in her ceremonial finery wouldn't hurt. Perhaps at Frederiksborg Castle in the portrait hall or something similar. A setting that speaks history, position and significance.

Last edited:
Roskilde, may I ask in which newspaper the photos appeared? Thank you.

On a more serious note, what type of photography do feel would better serve Mary's position/image when having official photos taken?
As for Mary I think a potrait or two in her ceremonial finery wouldn't hurt. Perhaps at Frederiksborg Castle in the portrait hall or something similar. A setting that speaks history, position and significance.

Exactly. I am missing photos that bring across who Mary is, CP of Denmark and representing an institution.

This is not about Mary Donaldson or CP Mary, the "fashion icon". Most photos, and I am repeating myself, are type "celebrity home story" or "celebrity modelling session".

You mentioned above what I am missing, I wouldnt mind one or two "celebrity" style photos since this is what royals are partly becoming, but the position has to take preference, chosing photos that support everything that goes with it.

Mary's photos are majority celebrity and little position, it should be the other way around.

By all means have an assortment of informal photo's taken and made public (as we have here seen), but I too think that there should be at least one in every series that should signify the grandeur of monarchy and the societal, cultural and historical significance of it's position.

Really, it's just me looking for a reason to see Mary dripping in diamonds and wearing fine couture.

Last edited:
Another member has very kindly :flowers: given me access to the interview with Mary in Berlingske Tidende, shortly before her 40th birthday.

It's a very interesting and very frank interview.

Excerpts from an interview in the newspaper Berlingske Tidende.
Interviewer: Karen Margrethe Schelin.

It’s a pretty long interview and this time I will concentrate on Mary’s thoughts in regards to her role as Crown Princess. It’s pretty interesting I think.
The interview took place around noon on the day our Marie gave birth.

Q: What thoughts do you have on the long journey, now that you turn 40?
M: “40 years is a turning point/significant day but I don’t really think the day itself has taken up that much room in my thoughts. I rather think that I during the time up to my birthday, - perhaps for the whole of last year – has found myself in a reflecting/pensive period of my life.
Previously I didn’t reflect so much about it, perhaps because it all went so fast: Coming to a new country, getting a new life, a new role. Getting married, learn about a new culture and a new society. To come from the other side of the globe, with a completely different upbringing and then having to fill this role in an institution like the DRF, which is so strongly anchored in all Danes.
I felt very strongly that I had to live up to the expectations. That’s why I tried to control as much as I was able to control and perhaps I closed off doors to sides of my personality”.

Mary still think she has remained herself: “But perhaps in a little more limited/restrained way. I think it was my way of protecting myself. And probably also an expression for a natural uncertainty, when you consider that a person from Tasmania lands in the DRF. I think I throughout the years have learned to let go a little more, but I could be better at it”.

Q: How did you deal with the role as Crown Princess?
M: “I have all the time felt that I had grabbed the sides that are important to me, which I was interested in; How do I use my skills and abilities for the benefit of Denmark? How do I best represent Denmark as the person I am?
Of course I have naturally sought advice and observed and learned from the other members of the DRF.
How do they go about it? How can I contribute to the big picture and at the same time be myself within my field? And that's the personal touch, which all members of the DRF have".

Q: Your father-in-law, the Prince Consort, once said there is no manual for prince consorts, in the same way there is presumably no manual for crown princesses?
M: “No, not formally, even though I read that I went to princess school. Sometime you might have wished for that, but first and foremost it’s about getting to know your country. Because if I have to stand and represent my country outwards and also inwards, then I have to know the country well. I think you have to go by feel (fingerspitzengefühl) and then you have to follow your heart because you have to work with it for the rest of your life”.

Q: What does the response you get from the population mean to you personally?
Mary: “It can still be experienced as very overwhelming, when you come out and meet the warmth that stream towards you. It's nice to feel that you have the backing in the population for what you do. That people think it has significance. That you sometimes can make a difference for a single person, other times for many people.
It’s also toughing with the persons who show up to meet you. It can bring tears to the eyes. An old lady who has been sitting waiting all morning and then she grabs your hand and says: - Thank you so much/a thousand thanks.
You don’t feel you have done anything that can deserve so much love from strange people. It’s a part of convincing me how important a part the DRF is of the Danish identity. That I’m certain my mother-in-law, the Queen, also felt during the celebrations of the 40th jubilee as Regent”.

Q: How did you (formal you) experience the meeting with the Danes? Is there something you have problems getting used to?
M: “It wasn’t the big cultural shock when I came to Denmark. I was so warmly received by my husband’s friends and the family, so my first meeting with the Danes was very positive. I quickly settled in and if you (informal you) ask whether there were things that puzzled me, it was mostly little things. As when I was at a party and wasn’t allowed to eat, because I have to toast all the time (*) and that there were an endless lot of speeches. In the beginning I couldn’t understand what was said, unless I sat next to a gentleman who was good at translating. Then you sat at the table forever. It was cosy but different to what I was used to”.

The Danish humour is no problem: “It’s that same, bit dark, humour that has always been close to me….”. (Mary refers to a comedian, which would need a long explanation).

Q: Do you today feel Danish?
M: “Yes, I’m Danish. I have a background I’m proud of and fond of and which I draw on, where it’s relevant. That is a part of the person I am, and that it always will be. It has been a part of shaping me before I came to Denmark and also after I came to Denmark”.

Q: So you don’t miss Australia?
M: “Australia is a fantastic country. That it is. And I’m glad I was born there and grew up there and that my family moved out there. If you think about it, kind of high flying, then it’s only a generation ago, my family came from this part of the world. Perhaps that’s one of the reasons why I thrive so well in Denmark.

Even though she thrives when in Australia, she always looks forward to going home to Denmark again: “Today the wanting for me is mostly about family and dear friends”.

Q: When you look back today, what challenge do you think has been the biggest?
M: “Perhaps you should say the two biggest challenges. The one being a public figure. To be spoken about and that many have an opinion on how you do things, how you move, what you say, how your hair is. When you are not used to it, you feel incredibly exposed. You get a bit used to it, but I’ve never been a person who sought to be the centre of attention. It was always my friends who were in the centre of attention and I enjoyed watching them.
The other challenge was to learn to believe in myself. Do I do things in the right way? Have I proven well enough that I’m capable of my task? I have no background for doing that, so I have put in a lot of effort. I felt I had to convince everyone; I promise you: I’ll lift that task.
So there have been doubt and insecurity and that I have covered well, because not many believe I can be insecure.
My way of covering the insecurity was to control everything what could be controlled. But in reality you can’t control very much”.

Mary admits that she in the beginning had a tendency to even over-prepare herself: “If I were to go out to something about heart diseases, I build up an entire new vocabulary in order to speak with those people. The day after it might be a visit to Vollsmose (a notorious ghetto), where I had to talk to foreigners about being immigrants in Denmark. Each time I went out I learned a new vocabulary and familiarised myself with the background for the different subjects. So you work insanely hard to keep up. People were even astonished but that was my way of covering up the insecurity. I didn’t feel there was room for wrong-footing”.

Separating work from private life can be difficult: “It can be a challenge, because in a sense you are always your role, because you are yourself in that role. Our job is physically in our home. Next to our home is our secretariat/administration and we have staff that can ask questions all hours of the day.
So there can easily be a grey area between work and private life. At the same time you have to have periods where you are a hundred percent private. You do. But I’d think that both the Crown Prince and I would wish we could separate it better”.

Q: Work and private life?
M: “Yes, but work takes up so much space in our every day lives and you can’t just say: Now it’s private and now she’s Crown Princess. – It doesn’t work that way”.

Q: How are you about criticism and more or less fantastic stories about you and your family in the press? Don’t you ever feel like speaking out?
M: “That’s a term that will probably always be there but you can get frustrated when someone writes that I have no social commitment (**). When I know that we through the Mary Foundation reach out to hundreds of thousands of children by promoting a culture that makes bullying unacceptable and in the same way have reached out to tens of thousands of women suffering from domestic violence.
On the other hand you of course have to listen to criticism, if it’s something you can move on from. But if I am to speak from the heart, I don’t think it’s particularly nice, especially when you feel that the criticism has no foundation”.

- There is of course much more in the interview. About her children and the Danish mentality, in regards to not liking to stand out. Also about the loss of her mother strengthened her faith. And so on.

(*) I know the feeling, Mary. Countless toasts is a part of a good Danish dinner. And we sit for hours at the dinner table!

(**) Koplev and his article. (See among other places the thread about Frederik’s workload). He lashed out at Mary as well. He was taken apart, by the way, in a talk show on TV2.

- Those in the know, know how to find the complete interview.

Last edited:
Maxima's photos are normal or natural for a CP representing a country. I dont see anything normal or natural for a CP to pose like a catalogue model or celebrity (most of the pictures, not all of them) but Mary has a history of doing that, why am I surprised.

I love looking at fotos of both of these women and they are not too dissimilar there have been informal photoshoots of Maxima as well as formal photoshoots of Mary in her role as CP.

We see a lot of Mary in her formal role its really lovely to get a glimpse of the more personal and I know noone royalty or otherwise that would be willing to be photographed in trackies uggboots baby vomit on shoulder and bed hair and then have it publicised across the globe which Im wagering is probably closer to the reality of her life.

I dont get your criticism she had a photoshoot for her birthday they did her hair and makeup whats the big deal. She looks like a Princess to me perhaps its the palace setting that does it who knows.

Whether you like it or not all royal women QMII, QEII, Princess Anne, Duchess of Cambridge are celebrity its part of their role to be popular with their loyal subjects thats why they are in the media so much. All of them are fashion conscious (even Anne!) its part and parcel to look your best.

I think you are being really hard on Mary in my opinion and she really doesnt deserve it. :ermm:

IMO Maxima's photos were highly unnatural, she posed like a catalogue model/celebrity version of a princess.

I think the two princesses had different aims: IMO Mary who is often described as "more regal than the royals" wanted to show her "private" side/feelings (going by the interview which the pics accompanied). Maxima used the opportunity to show that she can look like a princess if she combs her hair. :)

I assume that people of both countries know which position Maxima and Mary have.

Another member has very kindly :flowers: given me access to the interview with Mary in Berlingske Tidende, shortly before her 40th birthday.

It's a very interesting and very frank interview.

- Those in the know, know how to find the complete interview.

Thanks so much, Muhler, for posting this! I liked her talking about her insecurities when she was starting out and "overpreparing." She sometimes did come across as a tad aloof, and it makes sense that she was feeling out of control of whatever situation she was in. She's doing a fantastic job, IMHO, of representing the DRF and Denmark. I also liked how she talked about going back to Australia to visit, but when it's time to leave she's ready to return to her new home.

Muhler, as always, thank you so much for posting the translation of the interview with Crown Princess Mary. It's hard to find things about her in English, and getting these glimpses into who she is, is a real treat.

its actually an Aussie Rules style kick which is hilarious doing it with a soccer ball! I think Mary may have a sense of humour. :lol:

OK, I know this is a bit OT, but can you explain to a Yank what an Aussie Rules kick is and why it's funny using a soccer ball? I'm way out in left field (no pun intended) with this one! :D

OK, I know this is a bit OT, but can you explain to a Yank what an Aussie Rules kick is and why it's funny using a soccer ball? I'm way out in left field (no pun intended) with this one! :D

Aussie rules, or AFL, uses an oblique-shaped ball, is kicked from the hands, and is kicked from the front of the foot. An AFL ball looks like this: http://www.lmsc.com.au/upload/gallery/AFL-1612AFL211212Ball-1251120764.jpg

A soccer ball is kicked using the side of the foot. The action Mary was using was an Aussie Rules kick (high kick from the front), hence why us Aussie found it funny and refreshing. In soccer, long kicks don't use that action at all.

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation. Maybe Mary is sending a shout-out to her fellow Aussie compatriots out there!:lol:

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation. Maybe Mary is sending a shout-out to her fellow Aussie compatriots out there!:lol:
That's okay.
It makes me wonder if Mary has a genuine Sherrin football and is teaching Christian Aussie Rules. He is at that age that boys start playing the game...

I somehow think Isabella would much enjoy learning Aussie Rules from her mom as well!

That's a very candid interview! Thank you!!!

Mary's birthday is covered in unusual details this time.
I will divide the coverage in two. The birthday celebrations at Amalienborg Saturday here and the continuing celebrations in the Verbier thread.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #06, 2012.
Et brag af en fest - A bang of af a party.
Written by Anna Johannesen & Ulrik Ulriksen.

- Who pulled sentry duty outside Amalienborg in minus ten degrees C that night.
The guests were invited for dinner Saturday. With the exception of Joachim who was assumed to turn up around evening-coffee-time (*). Our Marie stayed at home.

The guests were received at the door inside the portal by Mary, with her hair hanging lose. And Isabella, wearing a long dress and pink nailpolish, - yes, she was looking neat.
She and Christian were present throughout the celebration but behaved very well.
Around 140 guest were invited and they dined at round tables in the Knights Hall and the Garden Room, facing towards the garden.
When the guest had been seated it was time for entertainment, in the shape of the magician Micheal Deutsch.
There were a number of speeches during the dinner. Frederik held a speech in a mix of Danish and English, where he talked about his great love for his wife and what Mary means to him and also about the love for their children. Visibly moving among others Mary's sister, Jane, who sat at Mary's table.
Mary also gave a speech, where she thanked her guests, talked about her life these past 40 years and ending up by declaring her love for her husband.
Later in the evening the rapper, L.O.C., entertained.
At midnight the champagne corks popped and Mary was congratulated and everyone sang the birthday song.
Some guests apparantly expected a fireworks at midnight, but there was none. (**)

Now let's look at the guest. A loooong list of guests!
The Belgian CP Couple was slightly late, they had had problems with their luggage at the airport.
QMII was one of the very few who showed up in a long dress. Her face lit up, when she saw that Christian and Bella was there. (Grandma-mode).
Prince Henrik wore a lilac dinner jacket.
Carina Axelsson was there, minus her Gustav.
So was Alexandra of Berleburg, minus husband.
Prince Nikolaos was there without his wife.
But CP Pavlos and Marie-Chantal were there.

Among the friends were:
Peter Warnøe, wiithout wife.
Gitte and Christian Dalum.
Otte and Helle Reedtz-Thott. - Their present was a painting.
Malene Birger with her Irish sweetheart John, who wore a kilt. (***)
Jarl Friis-Mikkelsen, who was seated next to Mary, and his wife, Susanne Pehrsson.
Birgitte and Jeppe Handwerk.
A lot of Ahlefeldts: Jean, Ditlev, Caroline and Micheal.
Ellen Hillingsøe, as usual alone. She wore a dress by Malene Birger.
Caroline Fleming.
Marie-Louise Høm, kid sister of Caroline Heering, and her husband Marc Høm.
Lars Thomassen and his wife Christine Obel.
Malou and Jørgen Skeel.
Nina Wedell-Wedellsborg with her husband, Peter Aandahl.
Frederik and Christel Lüttichau, wearing a coat from Amani and a dress from Prada.
Pernille and Bent Wedell.
Helle Joof with her sweetheart Henrik Jepsen.
Peter and Caroline Heering. Caroline Heering is sporting a new curly (and blonder?) hairstyle. (****)
Elisabeth and Christian Buchwald.
Holger Foss and his wife Rose Gad.
Anja Alajdi and her husband Steen Christensen. Anja wore a dress by Diana von Furstenberg and shoes from Malene Birger.
Mary's hair had been done by her hairdresser, Søren Hedegaard and he was joined at the dinner by his spouse, Preben Christensen.

Apparantly our reporter succumbed to the cold, because there is no mentioning about when the party ended.

(*) Around 19.30-20.00 for ordinary Danes.

(**) Fireworks are incidentally outlawed outside the New Year season, except by permission. - The state is fed up with taxpayers in perfect working order blowing their fingers off at all times of the year.

(***) Didn't know kilts were supposed to cover the knees. Or is that an Irish phenomenon?

(****) It has been decided here in the Muhler household that we do not like it... So I'm under orders to dislike it as well. :p

You are welcome 4Pam, Daria S & Emmily :)

Last edited:
Thanks for translating all this, Muhler, especially the interview. I was hoping she'd do one for her birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom