Crown Princess Mary is Expecting Twins in January 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is certainly a tradition in the DRF, but not in general in Denmark. Some families do uphold this tradition, bit it's fewer than less ;)

Muhler, please help me here, but am I right to assume that this tradition "no name before christening" has something to do with the folktales/overtro? Meaning that as long as the baby has no name, then it can't be taken by the trolls and when the child got the name (and thereby the benediction from the church) then God was watching over it and no harm could be done.

It will take some time before we get to know the names of the twins, but I think it is a nice tradition to say the names out loud at the Christening! :)

By the way, does anyone know if this is a tradition in the Danish royal family only, or is this a tradition in Denmark generally?

It's a common tradition in Denmark, albeit on the return.

As it often takes several months before a christening, many if not most, reveal at least the first name, before the chirstening.

The tradition about keeping the name of a child secret goes back at least 500 years. - Back then christenings took place shortly after the birth, to save the soul of the infant, should the child die. The infant mortality rate was pretty high.
The name of the child is kept secret until the actual christiening, lest the Devil should call out the name and lure the child to him.

The name of the child is kept secret until the actual christiening, lest the Devil should call out the name and lure the child to him.

I do enjoy learning as to why traditions are traditions. Superstition certainly can and does play a part in many of them. It's really quite interesting.

Thank you guys for the answers! :)

They were very helpful, and it was interesting to read about the tradition and the folktales/overtro!

You are most welcome, Princess Martine & Madame Royale :flowers:

And we have a few words from Frederik: Frede: Mary er parat til at føde - Royale - BT.dk

He was in Herning watching the national female handball team playing in the European Championships (they ended up 4th).
And he was asked by a reporter: Is your wife (informal word) ready to give birth?

Frederik: "She is. She is fully ready to give birth. And she is well. And we look forward (to that)".

He went on to comment the match.

If I might add there is a increasing number of parents that are prefering a namegiving instead of a christening.

If I might add there is a increasing number of parents that are prefering a namegiving instead of a christening.

Indeed there is, not least in the cities.

We had our own children christened, because my parents-in-law and the older members of Mrs. Muhler family would like that.
It really didn't matter much to us, as I'm an atheist and my wife is hardly an active churchgoer to say the least, but as it meant something to the family we thought we would oblige them in this.
And a christening is a beautiful tradition, whether you are a believer or not.

It's a common tradition in Denmark, albeit on the return.

As it often takes several months before a christening, many if not most, reveal at least the first name, before the chirstening.

The tradition about keeping the name of a child secret goes back at least 500 years. - Back then christenings took place shortly after the birth, to save the soul of the infant, should the child die. The infant mortality rate was pretty high.

Very interesting! I figured that it had something to do with infant mortality, but I didn't know exactly how this tradition tied in.

Thank you Muhler for another enlightening explanation on the DRF and why they do things the way they do it.

Very interesting! I figured that it had something to do with infant mortality, but I didn't know exactly how this tradition tied in.

Thank you, Gatos & Dee4855 :flowers:

In the 1500 and 1600's (not sure about how things were percieved before that) the Christening was considered much more important than the actual birth.

It was the child's attachment to God, so to speak, that really mattered.

Last edited:
Muhler, do they do an actual baptism of the children at birth before the official Christening?

Muhler, do they do an actual baptism of the children at birth before the official Christening?

It takes place at the same time. At the cristening. - Og course if a child is so weak it may die, a priest can be called and perform an ad hoc baptism.
The priest call the parents, the "faddere" (*) and sometimes a godmother/father to the baptismal font.

There the priest ask, usually the mother for the name of the child.
She responds: XX.
The priest then baptise and christen the child with the words: "XX. I baptize you in the name of the Father (water on head), Son (more water) and the Holy Spirit (water)".

FasterB can tell much more about the details in connection with a christening.

(*) A "fadder" is usually translated as a godparent. That is not correct however. A "fadder" is an adult who will help ensuring that the child will be brought up in the Christian faith. At a normal christening there are normally tow or three "faddere" (plural).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read that Prince Henrik has a christening ceremony that is a tradition in his family. I read something about it when little Henrik was christened last year. Something about rubbing garlic on the baby's lips? Do you know more about this tradition?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read that Prince Henrik has a christening ceremony that is a tradition in his family. I read something about it when little Henrik was christened last year. Something about rubbing garlic on the baby's lips? Do you know more about this tradition?

Yes, that is a tradition in Prince Henrik's family. He anointed Bette Henrik with wine some time before the christening. I believe he performed the same ceremony with his own sons and other grandchildren.

That is however not recogniced by the Lutheran church as a valid christening.

I believe I have something about that story in my archive and if you wish I can have a look.

Thank you Muhler! I would like to learn more about it, if you have the time to share.

Thank you Muhler! I would like to learn more about it, if you have the time to share.

No problem. :)

Check this post sometime tomorrow. I'll add an explantion/summary or whatever.

------------------------

Summery based on a number of articles in Billed Bladet #31, 2009.

Around 150 guests were invited. Many of them top businessmen from DK and a handful of Swiss too. To witness Bette Jokke become Bette Henrik.
One of the guests in particular got special attention. Caroline Fleming. As the weather was fine all the mere mortal guests were offloaded some hundred meters from the church and required to walk to the church along the cobbled streets in Møgeltønder Main Street – on stilettos! With spectators flanking them on both sides. Joachim really knows how to entertain the locals, eh?
Anyway, one of them was Caroline Fleming, wearing a Cruella de Vil outfit. She was asked for autographs, which she happily agreed to. And posed for photographs, yes she was busy. All while at the same time discreetly concealing a tear in the dress, which had come by when she got out of the car. (*) But that didn’t ruin her mood: “It’s crazy. I think I’ve written 500 autographs. But my, people are sweet”.
Among the invited guests was the maternity team, which had taken care of our Marie at Rigshospitalet. They brought a red pedal driven racing car for Bette Henrik, presumably he will grow up to be a petrol head like daddy, I guess.

Mary and Frederik and their children were also among the guests. Mary carried Bella. Wanna walk yourself, Bella? - No! See, a red carpet. Wanna walk along it? - No!
Christian however darted ahead. The presence of two zillion photographers didn’t bother him. He greeted them with a: “Goddag = Good day”. (**) He spotted the red carpet and as a royal child, he knew at once that he was supposed to walk, well, run along it. – Only to be called back. Posing time. Yeah okay, so he jumped back to Mary and Frederik and Bella.

Even though our Marie’s grandmother (farmor) Odile de Sarigny couldn’t attend the christening, she was within eyesight of her granddaughter, sort of. – In the shape of a gold medallion worn around the neck of Bette Henrik. On it was stamped a cross and a lamb, which is a symbol of blessing.
The medallion was presented when they visited the venerable old lady in France earlier this summer.

It wasn’t the only new piece of personal ornament we saw in the church that day. The Marie wore an aquamarine ring, which was a present from her father-in-law, Henrik. He gave it to her right after the birth of Bette Henrik.

Motherhood becomes la Marie. Not that there wasn’t much trouble. (***) He was perfectly contend with being in the arms of mother, nap a little and whimper a little when he wanted to suckle a finger or to have a look around.

Daddy Frederik took care of the children, so he wasn’t bored! It also gave the photographers something to focus on. Queen Anne-Marie, who sat next to Frederik was at some point shanghaied as a play-aunt. She was equipped with a Lego-animal. Now, play tante (aunt) Anne-Marie!

All children present were invited to gather around the baptismal font for a better view. A thing that has become very widespread in recent years. They are after all the future target group, right?
That included Bella and Christian. Okay, Christian has tried this before, so he has some routine and kept quiet. Bella however, doesn’t seem like someone in loss of words and she had a few things to comment on. – As long as she could stand right next to mother, that is.
Okay, the christening is over. The baby has been bathed, or whatever happened. Big brother Christian has darted away. And there is an awful long way back to daddy and the church is big and there are loads of strange adults. Better stay with mother. Yes!
However something displeased her and she soon out wailed Bette Henrik. – And the bishop. – And the choir. – And the organ. – Had Mary not got up and handed her daughter over to the nanny, she would probably have out wailed the church bells too!
The nanny took Bella out in the porch (****), where she with efficient means not disclosed here, managed to quieten her down. Bella was however soon after reunited with her mother.

On the way out of the church Princess Marie and Joachim stopped in front of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik. And the überdelighted Prince Henrik caressed his latest grandson. He said afterwards: “It’s a good name. Very fine. And Yes, I’m very, very happy”.
Frederik, or more likely the nanny, had brought books, sweets, biscuits, Lego-animals and what looks to me like Play Mobil figures to the church to keep Christian and Bella occupied, but Nikolai and Felix are too old for toys, at least in church. That didn’t prevent Nikolai from showing some initiative. He folded a couple of paper fliers for himself and Felix. And when Marie and Joachim passed, he graciously presented his flyer to Bette Henrik, that was however declined. Okay, then Christian can have it. And he was delighted indeed!

Upon returning to Schackenborg it was time for the official photos. No big deal for Bette Henrik. He stayed awake and acted cool.
And why not? He was hardly the only baby around. A number of the guest also brought their children and no less than seven nannies in total were busy looking after them! So a makeshift nursery had been set up at the manor.

Most of the guests strolled the few hundred meters to Schackenborg, where a tent had been erected. Here they could leave their coats, freshen up, have a glass of champagne, hand over their presents and sign themselves in the guestbook before greeting Joachim and Marie.

As Joachim and Marie personally greeted and thanked all the guests after the official photo session he did not give a speech later on. (*****)

I’m certain one or two among you had a closer look at what Mary wore and I can inform you that she carried a Chanel bag and wore Pradas on her feet.

Mary’s stylist is as all on this board probably know by now, Søren Hedegaard. Our Marie’s stylist was Dennis Knudsen, whom she has used before. He was observed arriving at Schackenborg with his tool kit. It was also he, who styled Marie at her wedding.
What followed was an informal reception with a buffet but things developed and once the Queen and some older guests had left a few hours later, including Mary and Frederik it was party time! The stereo was turned way up and people were having fun to well into the night. The Royal Guitars who had played in the church and at the reception had left. (Perhaps dumped into the moat. They were boring).
The party didn’t seem to disturb Bette Henrik. He slept soundly. The party was with personal friends of Marie and Joachim and Marie’s family.

(*) And what can we learn from that, ladies? Screw the salad and enjoy life. The dress is going to tear at the seams anyway. Especially if you pour yourself into the outfit.

(**) DK lesson:
Goddag = Good day = polite/formal greeting.
‘Dag = G’day = informal greeting.
Hej = Hi = informal greeting.
Davs = Howdy = informal greeting.

(***) The first one is always quiet. But the second one! Within a day or two they have scanned the layout. – I need a breast, a place to crash, attention and protection. In short: Mother. Check. – Aha, I’ve got competition! (Older sibling and dad). Only one thing to do: Wail. Loud. For as long as needed. And a little more, just to be on the safe side! And they do it for several years.
They are cunning little monsters, you know!

(****) Actually våbenhus = house for arms. In all Danish churches the first room you enter is called våbenhuset. From medieval times, this was where you stored your weapons before attending a service. All free men were often armed back then. The name has stuck ever since.

(*****) Joachim is apparently an excellent speaker. According to the comments on DR1 the locals were still talking about a speech he had delivered at an anniversary I believe.

---------------------

Alas, I don't appear to have anything written down on the tradition used by Prince Henrik.
I remember that it took place at the hospital and that he blessed his grandson, in this case Henrik, with wine on his forehead and lips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Muhler another wonderful "picture" for us all to imagine. It must have been a really lovely day for everyone there.

I was just checking in for baby watch to see if anything was happening. All seems to be quiet.

I was just checking in for baby watch to see if anything was happening. All seems to be quiet.
Last night, DR1's 'TV doctor' and another doctor was on the screen with a couple who had twins 10 weeks ago - and it was all talk about twin pregnancy and when twins usually are born. The TV doctor said that if he was the media he would be watching very closely from now on, it can be any day now practically.

We have been promised a snowstorm on the 23rd, the day before Christmas, so maybe the twins will decide to arrive in the middle of it:D Good thing the couple decided to stay close to Rigshospitalet.

Last night, DR1's 'TV doctor' and another doctor was on the screen with a couple who had twins 10 weeks ago - and it was all talk about twin pregnancy and when twins usually are born. The TV doctor said that if he was the media he would be watching very closely from now on, it can be any day now practically.

We have been promised a snowstorm on the 23rd, the day before Christmas, so maybe the twins will decide to arrive in the middle of it:D Good thing the couple decided to stay close to Rigshospitalet.

:lol:Babies seem to be known for their bad timing. That would be just about right. A raging blizzard and hurry to the hospital. I was thinking about the CP wondering if every time his cell phone goes off he jumps through the roof. :ROFLMAO:

:lol:Babies seem to be known for their bad timing. That would be just about right. A raging blizzard and hurry to the hospital. I was thinking about the CP wondering if every time his cell phone goes off he jumps through the roof. :ROFLMAO:

Full moons, low pressure systems, storms - all seem to bring the babies.

Never having been a mother I will believe you for sure. I really hope they are not Christmas babies. My nephew was born on Christmas morning and he has missed out on a birthday his whole life. He always seems to get lost in the shuffle of the Christmas holidays.

A note in Billed Bladet #51, 2010.

Tells about a reporter from BB who was standing outside Rigshospitalet when Mary, Frederik and PET arrived Friday evening.
Here Mary was recieved by two of the main figures from her maternity team, Morten Hedegaard and Birgitte Hillerup.

Here Mary went through a scanning and a check-up.

BB claims that their sources informs that Mary was having minor contractions and was suffering from ligament pains. Everything should be fine.

In another note the magazine is openly speculating about Mary giving birth during Christmas.

Last edited:
BB claims that their soruces informs that Mary was having minor contractions and was suffering from ligament pains.
No surprise that she's having minor contractions, otherwise known as Braxton Hicks contractions. So this was a week ago...so she's definately near to having the twins soon!

The babies are coming... the babies are coming!!!!!

I hope they don't come on christmas day, i'll be tied up with family stuff and won't be able to check the TRF.

It takes place at the same time. At the cristening. - Og course if a child is so weak it may die, a priest can be called and perform an ad hoc baptism.
The priest call the parents, the "faddere" (*) and sometimes a godmother/father to the baptismal font.

There the priest ask, usually the mother for the name of the child.
She responds: XX.
The priest then baptise and christen the child with the words: "XX. I baptize you in the name of the Father (water on head), Son (more water) and the Holy Spirit (water)".

FasterB can tell much more about the details in connection with a christening.

(*) A "fadder" is usually translated as a godparent. That is not correct however. A "fadder" is an adult who will help ensuring that the child will be brought up in the Christian faith. At a normal christening there are normally tow or three "faddere" (plural).

you have to have at least 3 "faddere" and 1 godmother/father and maximum 5 (unless you are royal).

we just had our daughter babtized and thats the rules now.

you have to have at least 3 "faddere" and 1 godmother/father and maximum 5 (unless you are royal).

we just had our daughter babtized and thats the rules now.

Thanks, Betina :flowers:

We had a godmother and two faddere for each of ours back then.

Please note that several posts with unverified information have been deleted.
Let us please wait and see untill we get verified and/or official news and confirmations!

Actually any person, who is baptised, can perform this "nøddåb"/ad hoc baptism. And if the baptism should be rather soon than later, then the person who will perform the baptism can just say: "XX, I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit".

Muhler, what do you think a godparent does then? :D

you have to have at least 3 "faddere" and 1 godmother/father and maximum 5 (unless you are royal)
As you can see here: Huske ved fødsel, navngivning og dåb. Link til blanketter og regeler - Folkekirken then there has to be minimum 2 and maximum 5 faddere :flowers: The "Gudfar/Gudmor" is also "fadder".

Last edited:
I hope the last days are going well and that Mary keeps the extra pounds. Looks good! :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom