Crown Princess Mary is Expecting Twins in January 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so looking forward to the twins being born.
I think a boy and a girl would be lovely however as long as they are healthy that is the most important thing. Mary has looked wonderful during the pregnancy.

You are welcome Zonk & Dazzling :)

Well, I guess it's Pink Room because the walls are painted pink?

Let's not pretend that Mary is just another woman giving birth. With necessary security for her, Fredrik and possible visiting Queen it would be very irresponsible of the hospital and her own security detail to not have the entire event of the birth and her stay there worked out. She will not just be wheeled in the next available room.

Exactly. It seems logic to me that a number of specific rooms have been preselected as alternatives for Mary to give birth, because they are the easiest to secure, while at the same time interfering as little as possible with the daily running of the wards.

You are welcome Zonk & Dazzling :)

Well, I guess it's Pink Room because the walls are painted pink?.

I believe you are right. I had my first child at Rigshospitalet 25 years ago and at that time there were two new 'homely' birth rooms as far as I recall, a pink and a blue. They were supposed to be used for uncomplicated births and have a more homely appearance - I suppose all the equipment were more hidden. They were rather coveted, and I didn't personally get to use the pink or the blue room.
Other hospitals followed suit, and had yellow, blue and pink rooms - to avoid the hospital look as far as possible (I made it to an abricot coloured room for a second birth.)

Don't know where I should ask, so I am asking here. Please move, if should be somewhere else.
How long is the ususal maternity leave for the Princess?

Don't know where I should ask, so I am asking here. Please move, if should be somewhere else.
How long is the ususal maternity leave for the Princess?
As far as I remember, she and Frederik had an official trip to Germany when Christian was quite small and they brought him with them. And when he was only about 2 months or perhaps younger, she attended a long conference connected to one of her patronages at a hotel in Copenhagen. Christian was at one of the hotel rooms and she slipped in and out to feed him.
They brought Isabella with them on a visit to NY when she was quite small as well. Now that it is twins, and with a total of 4 small children, I guess it all depends on how smoothly things run at home.

As far as I remember, she and Frederik had an official trip to Germany when Christian was quite small and they brought him with them. And when he was only about 2 months or perhaps younger, she attended a long conference connected to one of her patronages at a hotel in Copenhagen. Christian was at one of the hotel rooms and she slipped in and out to feed him.
They brought Isabella with them on a visit to NY when she was quite small as well. Now that it is twins, and with a total of 4 small children, I guess it all depends on how smoothly things run at home.

I would be surprised if Mary did many trips away for some time after the babies are born.

I dont think Mary did much traveling when Isabella & Christian were quite young, she might of has 2-3 trips. If she does need to travel I don't see a problem why she cant take the twins with her just like how she took Bella & Christian.

The rumours regarding Mary's pregnancy are increasing.

Mary tæt på fødsel - Royale - BT.dk
The tabloid BT refer to sources who state that Mary will give birth around 20th December. Repeat 20th December. The court will not comment.
- However, in the same article it is also stated very clearly that twin births are often started two weeks prior to schedule, and as Mary was scheduled to give birth some time in January....

Last edited:
I can't understand how could not like Mary:she is not arrogant,elegant,beautiful with grace and especially now when she is mother and expecting her twins!

I don't hate Mary, but what I can't understand is how some people gush over her. Yes, she is elegant and graceful (which I equate to her wardrobe, stylists, and training), but those things came after she became engaged.

She is not ugly, but I would hardly call her beautiful. She and her team put her together well most of the time, but her physical features (if one looks at her with an objective eye) include a rather pointy nose and chin and sometimes beady eyes giving her the appearance of a mouse or rat. I would call her pretty but nothing special.

As far as arrogance, none of us can know other than what we see...but IMHO, she is one of the least approachable of the princesses. Even Mabel (who I don't really care for at all) is more approachable than Mary.

Back to the topic at hand, scheduling of births is like any planned event. Not every little thing can go accordingly and everyone involved is used to improvising. Those who are "criticising" Mary for "blocking nine rooms" seem to think that 20-25 women are going to all go into labor at the same time, have the same about of time in labor, all have their water break at the same time, and all deliver at the same rate of speed, and will all be told to go elsewhere because the crown princess is delivering two more children beyond the heir and a spare....something HIGHLY unlikely to happen.

If there are emergency deliveries, more than likely that would be handled in an emergency facility. Most deliveries nowadays are SCHEDULED...meaning they can induce labor or prolong it with drugs. And on the outside chance that all the manipulations of scheduling and births results in nature taking its course at the same time as Mary, it is unlikely to interfere as a "Mary team" has already probably been designated who would not be the most prominent/important member of any other birthing team. So the critics need to lay off and recognize that most of the other couples giving birth are unlikely to even care about Mary being there, and when and if they do realize it will have a nice story to tell their own child someday.

I don't hate Mary, but what I can't understand is how some people gush over her. Yes, she is elegant and graceful (which I equate to her wardrobe, stylists, and training), but those things came after she became engaged.

She is not ugly, but I would hardly call her beautiful. She and her team put her together well most of the time, but her physical features (if one looks at her with an objective eye) include a rather pointy nose and chin and sometimes beady eyes giving her the appearance of a mouse or rat. I would call her pretty but nothing special.

As far as arrogance, none of us can know other than what we see...but IMHO, she is one of the least approachable of the princesses. Even Mabel (who I don't really care for at all) is more approachable than Mary.

98% of the CPS look much better after their engagement. That would include the beloved Diana. That shouldn't be a negative towards Mary. She's very attractive and almost always dresses like the CP she is.

I would be surprised if she took many trips after the twins arrive. Having two newborns is quite a bit different than one. Still, she seemed to bounce back quickly from C and I, so it's possible she will surprise us.

How can you say that? I am one of the many who love Mary and I think Mary is one of the most approachable princesses. She always smiles and shakes hand to everyone and Frederik have actually several times said "come on, Mary" because she slows their schedule... ;) I have personally met Mary two times and she takes the time to talk to as many people as possible. She is really approachable and down to earth. I don't think there is any princesses who take so much time to greet people like Mary :flowers:

but IMHO, she is one of the least approachable of the princesses

Should anyone look back over the years, be it through either GETTY images or any photo agency they have access too, and it's quite evident, imho, that Mary interacts vey warmly and willingly with those around her. Her captured body language does not suggest awkwardness or a manner that could otherwise be considered staged. I've seen staged, I see staged every other day of the week in my profession and Mary definitly does not reflect it :)

Furthermore, the way she interacts with children, often getting down on their level to talk with them and not too them is not something an unnaproachable or distant person would do. It's just not in them to do it if that is infact how they are by character. And of all the European Crown Princely consorts, she is the only one who actually cares to interract with young people in this way on such a regular basis I've noticed.

She also seems to take particular pleasure when meeting peoples who may have either a physical or mental dissability or who are well aged. She often appears utterly taken by them and holds their hands and has been known to place an arm around their shoulder whilst talking. Now, some might suggest that's for the camera, but it's very clear to me that her gestures are nothing short of genuine. It shows in her face which is very expressive.

Not that I'm telling you you're wrong to think what you do, good heavens no...lol. I don't care that much, I just respectfully disagree.

Her smile also appears very genuine. Very spontaneous. Much like that of Maxima I think. A contentment which is easily reflected in their faces.

Last edited:
...but IMHO, she is one of the least approachable of the princesses. .
I'm curious to know what gives you this impression. It's the exact opposite of my own impression. I have grown up seeing a very royal queen, but not exactly an approachable queen. I believe that a lot of people really like how approachable Mary is when is is out on jobs - and so do I, I must admit.

She knows how to play her role when it is required of her - and I sometimes think that this is held against her in people's impression of her. If she would only wear something hideous that really offences the eye, slip over her own feet and stumble down some stairs or laugh out loud with a bit of parsley between her front teeth, she would probably be declared the sweetest most natural soul in the world.

She knows how to play her role when it is required of her - and I sometimes think that this is held against her in people's impression of her. If she would only wear something hideous that really offences the eye, slip over her own feet and stumble down some stairs or laugh out loud with a bit of parsley between her front teeth, she would probably be declared the sweetest most natural soul in the world.

Totally agreed. Mary's biggest "problem," for those who don't like her, is that she is seen as too perfect. I think they think she's trying to put on a show. I personally just think she's naturally very good at her job, which is the last thing that should be held against a person. If she were more on the other end of the spectrum, she'd be criticized for being a slob who wasn't serious about representing Denmark. Being royal is a difficult balancing act.

The rumours regarding Mary's pregnancy are increasing.

Mary tæt på fødsel - Royale - BT.dk
The tabloid BT refer to sources who state that Mary will give birth around 20th December. Repeat 20th December. The court will not comment.
- However, in the same article it is also stated very clearly that twin births are often started two weeks prior to schedule, and as Mary was scheduled to give birth some time in January....

Isn't that a bit too early giving that she is due mid January? I would understand if they had mentioned the very end of December or beginning of January.

I guess they need to sell especially that they know she is due & many royal watchers are waiting IMO.

Rascal said:
but IMHO, she is one of the least approachable of the princesses.

I can disagree, I walked up to Mary at a department store & said hello, she was the most down to earth person, she was so sweet and said hello back. Its hard to judge from looks.

Last edited:

Back to the topic at hand, scheduling of births is like any planned event. Not every little thing can go accordingly and everyone involved is used to improvising. Those who are "criticising" Mary for "blocking nine rooms" seem to think that 20-25 women are going to all go into labor at the same time, have the same about of time in labor, all have their water break at the same time, and all deliver at the same rate of speed, and will all be told to go elsewhere because the crown princess is delivering two more children beyond the heir and a spare....something HIGHLY unlikely to happen.

If there are emergency deliveries, more than likely that would be handled in an emergency facility. Most deliveries nowadays are SCHEDULED...meaning they can induce labor or prolong it with drugs. And on the outside chance that all the manipulations of scheduling and births results in nature taking its course at the same time as Mary, it is unlikely to interfere as a "Mary team" has already probably been designated who would not be the most prominent/important member of any other birthing team. So the critics need to lay off and recognize that most of the other couples giving birth are unlikely to even care about Mary being there, and when and if they do realize it will have a nice story to tell their own child someday.

I wouldn't call Mary unapproachable myself. On the contrary.
If I were to point out members of the DRF who seem unapprochable I would without hestitation pount to QMII and Joachim. - And they are both people I respect a lot.
In fact I believe Mary, or rather her way to deal with the public, has been instrumental in improving how QMII but also Frederik are now interacting with the public.

At Rigshospitalet there is of course a maternity clinic, that clinic is divided into wards. The Maternity Ward, where uncomplicated, normal, scheduled births take place and also where the new parents stay for a few hours. Women who have had complicated births or who have given birth to twins may also be committed here for a few days.
Then there is the Delivery Ward. This is where women with complications, women who will give birth by C-section and where twins are born.
On average fifteen births takes place at Rigshospitalet every day. So Mary's presence is hardy a problem, as you correctly point out.

Totally agreed. Mary's biggest "problem," for those who don't like her, is that she is seen as too perfect. I think they think she's trying to put on a show. I personally just think she's naturally very good at her job, which is the last thing that should be held against a person. If she were more on the other end of the spectrum, she'd be criticized for being a slob who wasn't serious about representing Denmark. Being royal is a difficult balancing act.

I very much agree with you, Maura724!

You said it beautifully!

Can we now get back on topic please and discuss Mary expecting twins

Isn't that a bit too early giving that she is due mid January? I would understand if they had mentioned the very end of December or beginning of January.

I agree - a lot of people all along have been saying the babies will be here in December (and not Dec. 30 or 31) because twins are born early, and Mary is due in January. That doesn't really make sense to me, because surely the doctors themselves understood that twins don't usually make it the full 9 months, and it seems to me that they would have given Mary her due date accordingly. Thus, I think January is an early birth, and if it were a single baby we would be looking at perhaps February.

Of course, I could be proven totally wrong if Mary goes into labor tonight...;)

By the way dazzling, I think it's awesome that you met Mary! In Denmark, at home in the UAE, or elsewhere?

Hopefully the twins come soon...there are two babies in there and the longer there are in there (Mary's uterus) the bigger they get and the harder they are to get out ;)

I said I hoped for December 17th...before I leave for my vacation, nice and convenient for me, so I can spend my weeks away hypothesizing about what their names will be :)

As for official pregnancy announcements, are the dates extended to account for post dates births...for example, if Doctor calculated birth should occur 27th December, early twin birth puts the possible date maybe around the 13th December...the Court adds a month/3 weeks to this date and releases that babies are expected first week of January to account for all contigencies...Mary's recovery, complications with babies, early birth, need for privacy during this time, etc...As others have said, Christian's birth was announced as November, he came mid-October, Isabella's May birth, came late-April...So early January is code for mid to late December ;)

This weekend is good for me :) Oh, I just thought, if the babies are born in the next few days (10th/11th) would Frederik still go to Dubai on the 12th? I'd say NO, he would cancel and say see you guys next year :)

Hopefully the twins come soon...there are two babies in there and the longer there are in there (Mary's uterus) the bigger they get and the harder they are to get out ;)

I said I hoped for December 17th...before I leave for my vacation, nice and convenient for me, so I can spend my weeks away hypothesizing about what their names will be :)

As for official pregnancy announcements, are the dates extended to account for post dates births...for example, if Doctor calculated birth should occur 27th December, early twin birth puts the possible date maybe around the 13th December...the Court adds a month/3 weeks to this date and releases that babies are expected first week of January to account for all contigencies...Mary's recovery, complications with babies, early birth, need for privacy during this time, etc...As others have said, Christian's birth was announced as November, he came mid-October, Isabella's May birth, came late-April...So early January is code for mid to late December ;)

This weekend is good for me :) Oh, I just thought, if the babies are born in the next few days (10th/11th) would Frederik still go to Dubai on the 12th? I'd say NO, he would cancel and say see you guys next year :)
I think they will be born after Christmas,but who knows precisely

I have said I wanted a New Years birth a while back in these posts...Great possible birthdate: 1/1/11...very auspicious I think!?

As for official pregnancy announcements, are the dates extended to account for post dates births...for example, if Doctor calculated birth should occur 27th December, early twin birth puts the possible date maybe around the 13th December...the Court adds a month/3 weeks to this date and releases that babies are expected first week of January to account for all contigencies...Mary's recovery, complications with babies, early birth, need for privacy during this time, etc...As others have said, Christian's birth was announced as November, he came mid-October, Isabella's May birth, came late-April...So early January is code for mid to late December

Yes, you're right - when the court announces the due date, they generally add to it. That way, if the baby comes around the actual due date, it's "early," if it's late, it's "on time." That prevents the media from being in an absolute, stake-out-the-Palace frenzy at the due date if the baby isn't here yet (as many are not).

I totally forgot about that. If the court said January, that probably isn't Mary's real due date...in which case, people are correct to expect them this month, which is likely when her doctors really told her the babies would be born. :flowers:

It's been my experience with friends and family that twins or multiple births come sooner than anticipated. So if "early January" is code for mid-to-late December, I'd fully expect those babies to come the week before Christmas, honestly.

Sister Morphine said:
It's been my experience with friends and family that twins or multiple births come sooner than anticipated. So if "early January" is code for mid-to-late December, I'd fully expect those babies to come the week before Christmas, honestly.

Plus like all pregnancies due dates are always aproximations- I like 1/1/11, what a cool birthday :)

I think it would be great if she gave birth on Christmas Eve!

Plus like all pregnancies due dates are always aproximations- I like 1/1/11, what a cool birthday :)

I believe it was Princess Beatrice of York who was born on 8/8/88!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom