Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Aristocracy

Wonderful news, Congratulations!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS View Post
Congrats to Frederik and Mary

The news just said that besides the twins in the DRF already mentioned there were twins in the family (the king and queen?) in the 1500s, two boys but both died shortly after having been baptised. The media also shortly showed to two twin girls/women in the family who send their gratulations for Frederik and Mary.
Thank you MDS

I can add that the last time twins were born into the Danish line of succession was indeed in 1519. Denmark was still Catholic back then. They both died shortly after being baptised.

Children back then were christened as soon as possible. The baptism was considered much more important then the birth itself. Partly due to the high infant mortality but primarily to ensure they belonged to God. Lest the Devil should get hold of them. It would also ensure that they would go straight to Paradise should they die.
The doctrin at the time, if I remember correctly, was that infants, being innocent, would enter a stage of perpetual bliss should they die before being christened. - But the best thing was of course to get them attached to God, through baptism.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's great news!
I'm so glad they're having more children.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Nobility

Great news!!! I've always known the next royal pregnancy was Mary's. I'm so happy for them. I didn't expect twins though. Double congrats then ;-)
I hope for a baby girl at least, so Bella can have a sister to play with.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Courtier

Awesome news!!! I was thinking the next baby news will come from Sweden, but big congrats to the Danish royal family.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Aristocracy

Great news!

Did Mary have fertility treatment? (Because of twins and a few years without pregnancy, although they always said, they wanted a big family)
Old 08-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Some people think that they can't control Christian and Isabella.
I was so excited to hear this news. I disagree with Lumutqueen's statement about Frederik and Mary not controlling their children- even Queen Margarethe has commented on what a spirited child Isabella is and each time they are seen publicly, Frederik and Mary are clearly involved, hands-on parents. I think it is really wonderful that these children are encouraged to be themselves and that their spirits are not broken, as has been the more traditional royal parenting technique!

All of the crown princely families in Europe (Norway, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Denmark) have transitioned to a more contemporary style of parenting in this generation. I think it is wonderful that the little royals are being raised more by their parents than by nannies and governesses.

Congratulations to them! Twins can be a great challenge but it is wonderful to see that their dreams of a big family (shared during their engagement interview) are coming true. Best wishes to them during this very special time.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Nobility

Hitting the American media: Princess Mary Pregnant: Denmark's Royal Expecting Twins
Old 08-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Commoner

You're welcome Muhler

Ha, ha, now they are calling Frederik "Far til fire" (father of four) which is the name of a very popular old family book/movie series. Not sure how happy he would be about that though, the father in the series is quite fun to look at in old (and most known) version, chubby and with his eyebrows way too high up on his forehead, but I guess you'd have to have seen the movie to really appreciate it;-)

They are also saying that Mary so far will take care of all of her duties (as long as it's possible I guess).

They also said no fertility treatment, it's natural.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelo View Post
I disagree with Lumutqueen's statement about Frederik and Mary not controlling their children- even Queen Margarethe has commented on what a spirited child Isabella is and each time they are seen publicly, Frederik and Mary are clearly involved, hands-on parents. I think it is really wonderful that these children are encouraged to be themselves and that their spirits are not broken, as has been the more traditional royal parenting technique.
Excuse me, but you are assume I agree with what I wrote.
I don't, some people think that Christian and Isabella are allowed to run riot and their parents do not control them. Nowhere in my post did I say that I agreed with it.

Aussie News.
Princess Mary says she is expecting twins | News.com.au
Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania
Old 08-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Commoner

Reading the post topic, I thought: oh, again some silly speculation - what is up with everyone wanting people to have twins? When I saw the statement from the palace, I was shocked, but in a good way! I'm so happy for them; I thought Mary and Frederik were done having kids, even though I held a secret hope for more! This is going to be so exciting! I wonder whether Marie will add to the brood soon?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Aristocracy

Congratulations! Just surprise that she will have twins...do twins run the family???
Old 08-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Dear, how wonderful! Twins!!!

Congrats to the whole family!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownprincessrhey View Post
Congratulations! Just surprise that she will have twins...do twins run the family???
Muhler and MDS posted info about Frederik twins haven't been born since 1500 I think.
From what i've researched Mary doesn't have a history of twins either.
This makes me think IVF.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:10 PM

I'm wondering if its IVF too, given Mary's age and the fact she's having twins.

But who cares? I'm happy for the family.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Oh yeah doesn't matter how they came about, i'm so happy for them both. I now have something to look forward too after new year.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
And the first comment from uncle Joachim http://www.bt.dk/royale/joachim-til-b.t.-h...ien-flikflakker

A reporter from BT met him at Copenhagen townhall and this is what Joachim had to say: "Wonderful news. Absolutely wonderful".

He adds: "You become really happy for such good news and you become even happier for double-good news".

It was Frederik who told Joachim about it at Gråsten Slot.

"He was more than ordinarily happy (*) when he told it. It's great that he can give the good news to those closest to him. Now the whole family is somersaulting with joy. I see the same joy in his eyes, as I experienced myself, when I became a father".

He ends by telling that he looks forward to seeing how the twins will look like.

(*) Expression, meaning really overjoyed.
A video of Joachim's comments (for Danish speakers :)) Prins Joachim: Vi er dobbelt glade - TV 2 Nyhederne
Old 08-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Muhler and MDS posted info about Frederik twins haven't been born since 1500 I think.
From what i've researched Mary doesn't have a history of twins either.
This makes me think IVF.
I think it may have something to do with Mary's age. She's 38, she'll be a month from 39 when she gives birth next year. She's older, which means the chance of fraternal twins is more likely.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Nobility

Congratulations to the family! Mary always said she wanted to have many children so I kind of wondered why they stopped at two. I was hoping for twins for Victoria but nevertheless 2011 is going to be a baby year =)

Can you imagine a time when the truth ran free
The birth of a song
the death of a dream
Old 08-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Nobility

Earlier in the thread people were asking about other ruling families that have had twins. Several people responded about Princess Claire of Belgium and her twin sons.

In the previous generation, Princess Irene of the Netherlands gave birth to Prince Jaime & Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma, fraternal twins.