The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 AM
Courtier

Thanks Muhler.

Lovely pictures, Mary has looked wonderful, so healthy and happy during this whole pregnancy.

I think the babies will be born the last week of December, and they wiil have a boy and girl.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Majesty

Right, we are getting closer, so I thought I would briefly go through the procedure when the twins are born.

Let's say Mary gives birth tonight.

Frederik will shortly thereafter write a personal letter to QMII, where he informs her Majesty that two whatever-they-are has been born.

That letter will be presented to QMII as soon as possible. (Tomorrow morning in this example). The letter will then end up in the national archive.

The following noon after a birth within the DRF, salutes will be fired.
Both at Holmen, where battery Sixtus will fire a 21 gun salute. The battery is located at the navy yard in Copenhagen and next to a flagpole flying the official Flag of the Realm.

At the same time a 21 gun salute will be fired from the Battery at Kronborg Castle. - That's a favourite among camera crews and photographers, because it's so spectacular.
The cannons at Kronborg are several hundred years old and they are, I understand, the oldest functioning cannons in the world.

It will be a 21 gun salute and not a 42 gun salute, because eventhough it's twins there is no reason to overdo it! It would sound like an artillery barrage!

At some point after the twins have been born and christened, they will be officially entered into the protocol listing those who are in line for the Danish throne. Then a message will be send out to all Danish embassies announcing the fact to the local governments that two new heirs to the Danish throne have been born. (Christened and survived the infancy).

Old 12-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Nobility

I know it's unlikely to happen this way but one born just before midnight on Decemeber 31st and one born just after midnight Januarty 1st would be something!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Commoner

Names

How long after the birth will the names be released? I remember in Christian's case it was weeks later.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Serene Highness

They will be said out loud at the Christening and not before, if the CPC follows tradition :)
Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellainoz View Post
How long after the birth will the names be released? I remember in Christian's case it was weeks later.
Christians and Isabellas names were announced at the Christening which is usually 3 months after the birth.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
They will be said out loud at the Christening and not before, if the CPC follows tradition :)
I think it is safe to assume that they do indeed follow the tradition, as they did it with the names of Christian and Isabella, too
Old 12-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
I think it is safe to assume that they do indeed follow the tradition, as they did it with the names of Christian and Isabella, too
Oh yes, I think so too, it was just to be safe
Old 12-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
It will take some time before we get to know the names of the twins, but I think it is a nice tradition to say the names out loud at the Christening! :)

By the way, does anyone know if this is a tradition in the Danish royal family only, or is this a tradition in Denmark generally?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it was said before Christian's christening that it was a family tradition, although it's possible other families might stick with that too. :)
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 12-19-2010, 04:00 AM
Serene Highness

It is certainly a tradition in the DRF, but not in general in Denmark. Some families do uphold this tradition, bit it's fewer than less

Muhler, please help me here, but am I right to assume that this tradition "no name before christening" has something to do with the folktales/overtro? Meaning that as long as the baby has no name, then it can't be taken by the trolls and when the child got the name (and thereby the benediction from the church) then God was watching over it and no harm could be done.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Martine View Post
It will take some time before we get to know the names of the twins, but I think it is a nice tradition to say the names out loud at the Christening! :)

By the way, does anyone know if this is a tradition in the Danish royal family only, or is this a tradition in Denmark generally?
It's a common tradition in Denmark, albeit on the return.

As it often takes several months before a christening, many if not most, reveal at least the first name, before the chirstening.

The tradition about keeping the name of a child secret goes back at least 500 years. - Back then christenings took place shortly after the birth, to save the soul of the infant, should the child die. The infant mortality rate was pretty high.
The name of the child is kept secret until the actual christiening, lest the Devil should call out the name and lure the child to him.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The name of the child is kept secret until the actual christiening, lest the Devil should call out the name and lure the child to him.
I do enjoy learning as to why traditions are traditions. Superstition certainly can and does play a part in many of them. It's really quite interesting.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Gentry

Thank you guys for the answers! :)

They were very helpful, and it was interesting to read about the tradition and the folktales/overtro!
Old 12-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Majesty

You are most welcome, Princess Martine & Madame Royale

And we have a few words from Frederik: Frede: Mary er parat til at føde - Royale - BT.dk

He was in Herning watching the national female handball team playing in the European Championships (they ended up 4th).
And he was asked by a reporter: Is your wife (informal word) ready to give birth?

Frederik: "She is. She is fully ready to give birth. And she is well. And we look forward (to that)".

He went on to comment the match.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Aristocracy

If I might add there is a increasing number of parents that are prefering a namegiving instead of a christening.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
If I might add there is a increasing number of parents that are prefering a namegiving instead of a christening.
Indeed there is, not least in the cities.

We had our own children christened, because my parents-in-law and the older members of Mrs. Muhler family would like that.
It really didn't matter much to us, as I'm an atheist and my wife is hardly an active churchgoer to say the least, but as it meant something to the family we thought we would oblige them in this.
And a christening is a beautiful tradition, whether you are a believer or not.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It's a common tradition in Denmark, albeit on the return.

As it often takes several months before a christening, many if not most, reveal at least the first name, before the chirstening.

The tradition about keeping the name of a child secret goes back at least 500 years. - Back then christenings took place shortly after the birth, to save the soul of the infant, should the child die. The infant mortality rate was pretty high.
Very interesting! I figured that it had something to do with infant mortality, but I didn't know exactly how this tradition tied in.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Courtier

Thank you Muhler for another enlightening explanation on the DRF and why they do things the way they do it.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatos View Post
Very interesting! I figured that it had something to do with infant mortality, but I didn't know exactly how this tradition tied in.
Thank you, Gatos & Dee4855

In the 1500 and 1600's (not sure about how things were percieved before that) the Christening was considered much more important than the actual birth.

It was the child's attachment to God, so to speak, that really mattered.

Closed Thread