Crown Princess Mary is Expecting Twins in January 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sjetajiem said:
According to the pregnancy announcement on August 6th 2010 CP was then 14 weeks pregnant.
The announcememt didn't say anything about how long CPss were in her pregnancy.

Yes and no. Shopping = walking. Gala - I am sure they would allow her mostly sit. She would not have to stay all time long. I was just surprised that she feels good enough to go out shopping and couldn't attend a New Year's event, even if for an hour only.

There are laws that define, from which date on you are on maternity leave and each and every employer in Europe would be sued for even trying to break it.
Even suggesting that an employee should come in to work (even in an office) for an hour during maternity leave, as she is still able to shop, can be a reason for a lawsuit.
As also the laws regarding mandatory visits from a midwife to check on the baby after the birth have been adhered with Christian and Isabella, the laws concerning maternity leave will be adhered, too.

Maternity leave - Copenhagen Capacity

When it comes to walking and shopping, I think the CP and her doctors are the best judge. I don't think that CP Mary or any expectant mother would be doing something to put her children in danger.

She could for that matter be tap-dancing through the streets of Copenhagen.

:lol: Brilliant!!

I think the main thing everyone should wish for is that she stays happy and healthy and safely delivers her babies. It's a shame she hasn't participated in the New Year events, but she knows what she can and can't do, and I think everyone would prefer that she got some rest at the expense of seeing her in a nice dress.

Now twins, hurry up and arrive! :whistling:

TODAY: Princess Mary’s twins on MSN Video
Australia Video on the false story that CP Mary was supposed to be in hospital giving birth. According to the Aussie reporter in Copenhagen, CP Mary went out shopping and CP Frederik was seen walking the dog.:p:)
So its only the media and royal watchers who are stressing about an impending birth..not the royal couple!:lol::ROFLMAO:

This is very interesting! The reporter is the Channel NINE reporter - and Amber Petty's new partner is Jeff Browne, the multimillionaire managing director of Channel Nine, the flagship of Australia's biggest media empire! I'd be keeping a very close eye on Peter Stefanovic's coverage - he has insider info. And don't doubt it - Amber confessed on Adelaide radio only recently that she cannot keep a secret and had "broken the silence" and told her father Ian Petty about some DRF arrangements - early on, around the wedding - and he of course told the press! So happily for us, Amber has a bit of form when it comes to spilling the beans! ;)

There are laws that define, from which date on you are on maternity leave and each and every employer in Europe would be sued for even trying to break it.
Even suggesting that an employee should come in to work (even in an office) for an hour during maternity leave, as she is still able to shop, can be a reason for a lawsuit.
As also the laws regarding mandatory visits from a midwife to check on the baby after the birth have been adhered with Christian and Isabella, the laws concerning maternity leave will be adhered, too.

Maternity leave - Copenhagen Capacity

These laws don't apply to the royal family. They are in no ones employment and can, as such decide whatever regarding maternity. When it's called "maternity leave" by the court, it has nothing to do with what it says in some law or what the unions have negotiated. Usually, Mary (or any other of the royals) will be back to work within a few months of the birth, not the usual 9+ months of most other new mothers.

And as such, you can reason that Mary can attend certain functions more freely than the average mom-to-be. The reason she doesn't is most likely that royal functions require a lot of protocol, meaning that Mary can't attend fully anyways, and as such decides to stay away entirely. That she can go shopping is because shopping can be interrupted at will. If she has to go pee she goes peeing. This is less possible in an official function.

What would have been even worse, can you imagine if water would have broken during the kur?

Maternity leave means that woman don't have to go to work and for CP that means that she don't have to go to official duties. But there are no reason why she can't go outside for a walk or shopping or church or something like that. And in shop she can be just as she feels but in official duty there are lot of protocol and must-be things and there she can't let her face down when she feels bad or something like that.

This became long and probably already told message but just wanted to say that I don't think that Mary is doing something wrong when she don't take part of new year courts and goes just for outside for a little time...

The announcememt didn't say anything about how long CPss were in her pregnancy.

Ok not the announcement directly, but at the time of the announcement the journalists got that information from the CP office when they asked how long the princess was pregnant

i guess that, reading january, many of us, excited about the twins' arrival, have assumed it would have been early january. but really, it could be the end of the month also.
anyway, if mary was outside shopping and walking it means all is well, which is the most important thing. a double birth is always riskier, so i really wish herm frederik and the babies the best of luck! should be stressing though, with all the media-hype surrounding them...

Mary is officially on maternity leave.

She could for that matter be tap-dancing through the streets of Copenhagen. That's no longer relevant in relation to her official functions.

I did not know she was on the leave. Thank you for explaining.

please gave her a break she need to take her time and enjoying i think her last pregnancy

You don't attend the New Year Levee for just an hour,you attend Royal functions all the way.That would have been hours of standing shaking hands with official Denmark followed by a formal dinner Cinderella...you wouldn't want the shoe to fit...Really,
thought the ins- and outs at a Royal Court would have become clearer over the years..

Officailly, no, you don't. But you cannot tell me you know for sure it would not be an option for Mary. I am not saying I know it would be, I was just curious as to the reason.

Last edited:
I don't know why but this thread has became a bit nasty for me, relevant news and views tend to be shadowed by people who don't really care about the Danish Royal family, yet come here just to criticise EVERYTHING about Crownprincess Mary. Being French, I really love Monaco, but unfortunately I don't even dare to go to their thread simply because 4 or 5 people (always the same) poison interesting news by their hatred for Charlene Wittstock. The same thing seem to happen here, little by little. How can you criticise a pregnant woman, at her last term, and on maternity leave for not attending a New Year GALA??? You didn't know, then check before accusing her to favor a maybe 5 minute shopping to her duty as a Princess.

I don't know why but this thread has became a bit nasty for me, relevant news and views tend to be shadowed by people who don't really care about the Danish Royal family, yet come here just to criticise EVERYTHING about Crownprincess Mary. Being French, I really love Monaco, but unfortunately I don't even dare to go to their thread simply because 4 or 5 people (always the same) poison interesting news by their hatred for Charlene Wittstock. The same thing seem to happen here, little by little. How can you criticise a pregnant woman, at her last term, and on maternity leave for not attending a New Year GALA??? You didn't know, then check before accusing her to favor a maybe 5 minute shopping to her duty as a Princess.

WOW! A bit harsh, don't you think? I was NOT accusing her of anything, I asked a simple question, to which people responded nicely. Isn't that the point? Questions, suggestions, ideas - where is the accusation in my posts? I did not criticize her, I was simply curious.
You have no idea who I care for and who I don't.
And, as you can see from my previous post, I admitted I did not know she was on maternity leave. But the fact I didn't know doesn't forbid me from asking a question.

WOW! A bit harsh, don't you think? I was NOT accusing her of anything, I asked a simple question, to which people responded nicely. Isn't that the point? Questions, suggestions, ideas - where is the accusation in my posts? I did not criticize her, I was simply curious.
You have no idea who I care for and who I don't.
And, as you can see from my previous post, I admitted I did not know she was on maternity leave. But the fact I didn't know doesn't forbid me from asking a question.

I am sorry,but I understood your posts as well as accusations to CP Mary about not attending the Gala but enjoying shopping. Maybe the wording you use or numbers of post and the way you were pointing it, it was read that way. I just am wondering,how any one can be surprised that a pregnant woman at the very end of her pregnancy won't attend formal engagements - I thought that it's just normal and was actually surprised reading your posts. After all she is about to giving birth and not to just one but two Little Ones :)

I am sorry,but I understood your posts as well as accusations to CP Mary about not attending the Gala but enjoying shopping. Maybe the wording you use or numbers of post and the way you were pointing it, it was read that way. I just am wondering,how any one can be surprised that a pregnant woman at the very end of her pregnancy won't attend formal engagements - I thought that it's just normal and was actually surprised reading your posts. After all she is about to giving birth and not to just one but two Little Ones :)

Because I don't really know when is she due (end of January, beggining?).
Amazing, how a simple question is being read as an accusation.

Last edited:
Because I don't really know when is she due (end of January, beggining?).
Amazing, how a simple question is being read as an accusation.

I think, in general, there is a lot of sensitivity when it comes to the CP couple forums. People are so used to the nastiness that even when a simple question is asked, people's defenses are already up, and things are read far more accusatory than they are actually meant. I have to pause and take deep breaths in the Phillips Baby forums because people seem so incredibly cruel about a n baby's name. I have to remind myself that not only do I not know these people, but I could be completely reading into a post, something that's not there.

That being said, I got caught up in the hype of the babies being born earlier, after reading the headlines when googling CP Mary's name...but I think I am now of the opinion, that they will come when they are going to come, and it's best to just not get all excited by the wait. I wish Mary a healthy labor and delivery, whenever that time may come.

When my sister was close to her due date and desperately wanting to hurry up and have the baby we took her "Black Friday" shopping. That's the day after Thanksgiving here in the US where all the retailers have sales and there are crowds of people all day. The goal was to 'walk her into labor' but she still didn't give birth until Dec 3rd, a week later.

I am excited to see if it will be girls, boys or one of each. All of those options are nice. I loved seeing a photo of Mary and her 'bump' on the crown princess watchers blog page--I peeked!
Another good example of why I love the Royal Forums--good news for a change instead of the bad headlines in regular news.

I did not know she was on the leave. Thank you for explaining.

Oh yes.

However, Mary is not in the same situation as ordinary people. In the sense that her job is flexible enough for her to decide when and to what extent she wish to return to official duties.
The court announced that by mid December, I believe (the Guards Hussars event), she would no longer have official duties. That's when the official maternity leave started.
From then on it was certain that Mary would not attend the New Year Courts.

My guess is that we won't see much of Mary this side of Easter. And that she by then will have gradually ended her maternity leave.
Maternity leave after all is a right, not a must, even for ordinary people.

The same thing applies to paternity leave, which you can have before your child turns nine. Somehow I don't think Mary or for that matter Frederik will go on paternity leave.
They may at some point decide to cut down on the amount of engagements for a period. Or do like the Norwegian CP-couple, go on, what is basically six months paternity leave.

For ordinary Danes the rules are that the mother (she's after all the pregnant one) has the right to go on leave 4 weeks prior to giving birth. (Mary is scheduled to give birth in mid January, so that fits the timetable).
The father has a right to 2 weeks of leave within 14 weeks after the birth has taken place.
The mother has the right to 14 weeks of leave after giving birth.
This leave can be extended with additional 32 weeks, to be shared by the parents as they wish.
(There are a number of additional rules, regarding extension of the leave and so on).

Now, you don't have to use all the weeks right after giving birth. You can save a number of weeks for later. Before the child turns nine, one of the parents can use the remaining weeks on paternity leave. If you have more than one child, you have more weeks you can save to be used later on.
Some use that opportunity, for example when the child start at school, in case there are problems or if you simply need a breather.
During all these weeks you get paid the amount you would get if you were unemployed.

I know this is pretty complicated stuff and I've tried to keep it as simple as possible.
So to sum up: Most women (I know of) go on leave for 6 to 9 months and most fathers go on leave for 2 to 4 weeks.

Oh yes.

However, Mary is not in the same situation as ordinary people. In the sense that her job is flexible enough for her to decide when and to what extent she wish to return to official duties.
The court announced that by mid December, I believe (the Guards Hussars event), she would no longer have official duties. That's when the official maternity leave started.

My guess is that we won't see much of Mary this side of Easter. And that she by then will have gradually ended her maternity leave.

The same thing applies to paternity leave, which you can have before your child turns nine. Somehow I don't think Mary or for that matter Frederik will go on paternity leave.
They may at some point decide to cut down on the amount of engagements for a period. Or do like the Norwegian CP-couple, go on, what is basically six months paternity leave.

For ordinary Danes the rules are that the mother (she's after all the pregnant one) has the right to go on leave 4 weeks prior to giving birth. (Mary is scheduled to give birth in mid January, so that fits the timetable).
The father has a right to 2 weeks of leave within 14 weeks after the birth has taken place.
This leave can be extended with additional 32 weeks, to be shared by the parents as they wish.
(There are a number of additional rules, regarding extension of the leave and so on).

Now, you don't have to use all the weeks right after giving birth. You can save a number of weeks for later. Before the child turns nine, one of the parents can use the remaining weeks on paternity leave. If you have more than one child, you have more weeks you can save to be used later on.
Some use that opportunity, for example when the child start at school, in case there are problems or if you simply need a breather.
During all these weeks you get paid the amount you would get if you were unemployed.

I know this is pretty complicated stuff and I've tried to keep it as simple as possible.
So to sum up: Most women (I know of) go on leave for 6 to 9 months and most fathers go on leave for 2 to 4 weeks.

That is very interesting, how it differs in different countries. Thank you for the explanation, makes it all easier to understand.
It is great women can take up to 9 months! Could Mary do the same? I would assume, with twins, and two little kids, she would need as much time as possible to adjust everybody and everything slowly. I wonder what Christian and Isabella are thinking of the new siblings comming :)

Oh yes.

Thank you very much for the explaination and making a complicated matter much easier for us to understand, Muhler. :flowers:

:previous: This is true. But only Mary and her doctor know what she is capable of doing day to day. And I am sure it changes. Perhaps on Saturday she wasn't up to go to the New Year festivities or shop. And today (or the day of the event) could have been a better day. And she felt up to it.

Very true!! :)
And this comes from a woman who is due any day now too.
One day you have difficulty walking and can only spend your day on the couch and the next day you can walk and climb stairs etc.

I don't believe at all that the Princess went shopping (at least not an extended shopping) unless she was accompanied by her personal doctor and/or a nurse. It must be freezing in Denmark right now and with all the after Christmas shoppers the streets must be full of people (though I don't know it of course). It makes no sense that she walks the strees on a shopping tour. But I can easily believe that she went out for a walk as this is good for pregnant women. I think the story in the Australian press is a complete nonsense.

That is very interesting, how it differs in different countries. Thank you for the explanation, makes it all easier to understand.
It is great women can take up to 9 months! Could Mary do the same? I would assume, with twins, and two little kids, she would need as much time as possible to adjust everybody and everything slowly. I wonder what Christian and Isabella are thinking of the new siblings comming :)

If Mary were to use her right to the fullest, she could go on leave for 52 weeks, per pregnancy, and still be eligable for what is the equivalent of unemployment benefit.
There are however a number of conditions and I'm not 100 % sure of these rules.

I can use myself as a basis:
When we had our first child, Mrs. Muhler had on been on leave for two weeks, (he was eager to get out). I was on leave for two weeks after the birth, and Mrs Muhler for nine months.
When we had our second, we were on leave for four weeks and nine months respectively.
We opted not to use the remaining weeks before our children turned nine. Instead Mrs. Muhler cut her working hours down for two years in agreement with her employer, because I was the one with highest income.

If Mary were to use her right to the fullest, she could go on leave for 52 weeks, per pregnancy, and still be eligable for what is the equivalent of unemployment benefit.
There are however a number of conditions and I'm not 100 % sure of these rules.

I can use myself as a basis:
When we had our first child, Mrs. Muhler had on been on leave for two weeks, (he was eager to get out). I was on leave for two weeks after the birth, and Mrs Muhler for nine months.
When we had our second, we were on leave for four weeks and nine months respectively.
We opted not to use the remaining weeks before our children turned nine. Instead Mrs. Muhler cut her working hours down for two years in agreement with her employer, because I was the one with highest income.

So, if you don't use full leave at one child, can you use it with the second? Like a "roll - over"? (I know, weird comparison, but works, I hope :)?)

But only if it is born not further than 9 years apart, is that correct, Muhler?

So, if you don't use full leave at one child, can you use it with the second? Like a "roll - over"? (I know, weird comparison, but works, I hope :)?)

That's right. It's weeks per pregnancy that matters. - As long as the child/children are under the age of nine. - So if child A is eight years old and child B is twelve years old, you get no weeks for child B. They are lost.
If both children are under the age of nine, you can use up all the remaining weeks for both children.

Last edited:
Let say that I have a source in royal court (or I know somenone, who know someone who works at palace), so I know she spend most of her time now in bed. Yesterday she was in hospital on normal pregnancy control and then went to the shop to buy something, but that doesnt mean that she is walking all the day as many people write there or I donť know what... It is really funny what one small appearence of Mary in hospital/shop can do with people imagination.

Well, according to the video she was out shopping & onlookers said she was looking fine. Walking is a good many thing regardless with how many you are carrying & are not on bed rest, you are advised to walk and move but take it easy at the same time by many doctors.

I guess many think she is in bed as she is around her due date or passed it since many speculated she would be due in december a bit earlier than mentioned because of twins and her previous pregnancies, but at the end of it, we were told January and it could be mid or the end of January who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom