Crown Princess Mary, Current Events Part 13: August 2016 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a video of HRH Crown Princess Mary speech at Global Goals Awards 2017 (I keep forgetting HRH is Australian)

thanks for the video, i wondered if we were going to get videos of the royals in this conference (maxima and mabel also attended, i wonder if they presented awards too). i see mary decided to thank the awardee in french by saying in broken french with an english accent 'merci bernard pour tout votre travail' (thanks for all your work). i remember how it was said that mary lived in france and taught english at the start of her relationship with frederik, to be closer to denmark, so it was speculated that she spoke some french and we wondered for a while if this was the case, but the video confirms that this was not the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, French is not one of Mary's talents... She even struggles to pronounce his first name. But languages aren't her forte anyway

Your remark about her "teaching days" (I do wonder how much hours she worked at that private business school) reminded me of Mary saying Paris was not a place for her. That the crowded city where she knew nobody - and didn't understand the language - made her feel unhappy.

Your remark about her "teaching days" (I do wonder how much hours she worked at that private business school) reminded me of Mary saying Paris was not a place for her. That the crowded city where she knew nobody - and didn't understand the language - made her feel unhappy.

Mary herself in the Ninka interview about Paris:

"- But it was a difficult time for me. In Paris I didn't know that many and I don't function that well in a city that big. Yet another thing I have learned. Paris wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I was there for five months."

Oh thank you Nordic!

Nice to hear such a personal remark from Mary, it gives us a bit of insight in her life and personality.

It's a complicated process involving professional heraldics working according to strict guidelines, so that only leaves a certain freedom in regards to the design.
Once the experts are done making a draft, the colors needs to be approved and so does the design. In this case in Denmark as well as Scotland.

Then one of a very few artists here in DK paints the crest.

The crest depicts the marriage between two people. To the left is representing her match to Frederik.
The three blue lions represent Denmark. They are shown twice because Frederik is the son of the Monarch and (crown) Prince to Denmark.
The polar bear and ram represent Greenland and the Faeroe Islands.
The shield with the yellow and red stripes represent Oldenburg.
The two blue lions represent Slesvig. Northern Slesvig is now a part of Denmark, while Southern Schleswig is now a part of Germany.
The red and white cross in the center represents Dannebrog.
The three crowns on the blue background represents the Kalmar Union, from back when the three Nordic kingdoms were united Margrethe I.

To the right Mary and her family is represented.
The double-headed eagle with the Karac (ship) represents the Donaldson clan.
The two stars represents Australia. (I don't know why) And the rose between the stars may represent Tasmania?

The crest in encircled by a chain for the Order of the Elephant.
And on the outer rim of the rest is a text in Latin: Mary Principissa Daniae Regni Herendis Conjux - Mary Princess of Denmark, married to the Crown Prince/Heir to the Throne.

It took three years to finish the crest.

--------------------

ADDED: I found the article I translated:
Billed Bladet #20, 2007-05-18.

Her er Marys våbenskjold – Here is Mary’s crest.

- “It’s about the greatest achievement you can aspire to”, says the 27 years old Ronny Andersen proudly, while he looks up at the Knights Chapel (Ridderkapellet) at Frederiksborg Slot. Here Crown Princess Mary’s crest has just been hung up and Ronny is looking forward to see it. Because he designed it, just as he is master of the crest given to her father. The two crests are Ronny Andersen’s debut as royal painter of coats of arms and he has worked on them for a year and a half. During that time the sketches have been presented for both Crown Princess Mary and John Donaldson in Kancellihuset and at Århus University.
- “We thoroughly discussed how the crests should be designed. The Donaldson family has its roots in Scotland and as that is a country with particularly strong heraldic traditions and with strict rules in that field everything had to be in perfect order”, says Ronny Andersen who lives and work in Esbjerg.
Crown Princess Mary received the Order if the Elephant on the 9th of May 2004, fives days prior to her wedding to Crown Prince Frederik and on the same day her father became knight of the great cross of the order of Dannebrog (*). That means that in accordance with regulations royal orders of knights that they must have a crest with their coat of arms and proverb hanging on the wall in the chapel of the royal orders in Frederiksborgs Slotskirke. Crown Princess Mary’s crest is historical in the sense that no crest belonging to a Danish crown princess has been hung there previously, just as it hasn’t got a proverb either.

The writing on the edges of the crests in the Knights Chapel is traditionally in Latin, but as the title “crown princess” does not translate directly to Latin and as there is no precedence among the existing crests, the text ended up being: Mary, Princess of Denmark, the wife of the Crown Prince. Written in Latin naturally. (**)
During the work on the Mary and her father’s crests the wish has been that their coat of arms should be as close to what it would have been in Scotland, but also contain some very personal elements from the Donaldson-clan. That John Donaldson also associates himself with the MacDonaldson-clan was clear at the wedding of the CP couple where he wore the kilt of the MacDonaldson-clan and also in his speech to the bridal couple at the dinner in the evening also referred to the history of the clan.
The red double-eagle, on which a black galley with oars and silver-flag is present on both crests, but whereas Mary in the blue shield-head (top part of a shield with heraldics) has a gold-rose between two seven-pointed gold-stars, her father has the mathematical sign for infinity. A reference to his work as mathematician. The proverb “Ad Infinitium” means “Towards Infinity”.
Ronny Andersen has painted Mary’s crest as an alliance-crest with the crest of the Crown Prince, for which there is a tradition in regards to women who have married into the DRF. The coat of arms is crowned with the special crown-prince-crown specified by Christian V in 1693.
Crown Princess Mary’s crest is hanging between the crests of the Crown Prince and Prince Joachim. They got theirs on the 14th of Fabruary 1972 on the day their mother was proclaimed Oueen of Denmark. Above their hang the crest of Prince Henrik and on top the crest of Queen Margrethe.

Written by Anna Johannesen.

A little explanatory not for those who are unfamiliar with the fascinating but also pretty complicated subject of heraldic.
A crest: The entire thing hanging on the wall.
The shield: The painted shield inside every crest. The painting, also called a coat of arms, served as an identification and gave everyone an overview of your family relations. These paintings would also be on a coat worn above your armour in battle. Hence the word: coat of arms.

(*) Do feel free to correct me if the translation of the title is incorrect.

[FONT=&quot](**) Mary Principissa Daniae Regni Heredis Conjux Die IX Maji an MMIV.

Sorry my scans don't go that far back. But here is a partial view of the entire crest: https://www.kristeligt-dagblad.dk/s...es/main-wide-medium/public/2009/10/224794.jpg

Perhaps someone can dig up an HQ pic of the entire crest?

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Thanks you very much, one again, Muhler for your thorough explanation! I had no idea the bear and ram stood for Greenland and the Faroe Isles... Wonderful. It really is a fascinating subject (for history bufs like me anyways) once you start digging deeper.

So am I correct in assuming that Frederik & Mary's 4 children will each get their own coat of arms once their father becomes king?

To the right Mary and her family is represented.
The double-headed eagle with the Karac (ship) represents the Donaldson clan.
The two stars represents Australia. (I don't know why) And the rose between the stars may represent Tasmania? [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Or perhaps Clan MacDonald/Clan Donald?

https://www.kristeligt-dagblad.dk/kultur/2007-05-19/de-tre-skjolde

"The shield on the right is, on the other hand, the Crown Princess's own. At the bottom is the shield of the MacDonald clan, and in the head of the head, the crown princess as her father has the two seven-pointed stars, as a symbol of Australia. In the middle is a heraldic rose, which the Crown Princess herself has chosen as her symbol.

About the left shield
The royal coat of arms | The Danish Monarchy - Front Page

Last edited:
Thanks you very much, one again, Muhler for your thorough explanation! I had no idea the bear and ram stood for Greenland and the Faroe Isles... Wonderful. It really is a fascinating subject (for history bufs like me anyways) once you start digging deeper.

So am I correct in assuming that Frederik & Mary's 4 children will each get their own coat of arms once their father becomes king?

You are welcome. ?

Yes, M&F's children will each have their own coat of arms. But whether their spouses, apart from Christian's will have their own coat of arms is a much more interesting question.

Thanks for the clarification, Nordic. :flowers:

Yes, M&F's children will each have their own coat of arms. But whether their spouses, apart from Christian's will have their own coat of arms is a much more interesting question.

Stupid question, sorry....but will Frederik's coat of arms stay the same once he becomes King?

No, he will take over the official crest for the Danish realm: https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margrethe_2.#/media/File:Royal_coat_of_arms_of_Denmark.svg

I imagine Mary's crest will change too, once she become queen. At least the text in Latin may change. But she's a trailblazer, because Mary is the first Crown Princess ever in the DRF who got her own crest. And that was because Danish princesses after 1953 could receive the Order of the Elephant. Before then it was only princes and majesties and men (Churchill being one) who got the order.

Last edited:
"HRH The Crown Princess participated today in an orientation meeting with the Danish Refugee Council on the current refugee situation and on the organization's ongoing work and focus areas. Among other things, the Crown Princess was told about the project 'Mindspring' and on Danish Refugee Aid's forward-looking strategies. It was also the Crown Princess's last orientation meeting with Secretary General Andreas Kamm before he ends on November 1st."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZeO6e_geL1/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

This meeting, like many of Frederik and Mary, is not on the official calendar.

:previous: No, it's clear that a lot of meetings, briefings, fact findings, investigations and talks takes place on a daily basis within the DRF.
A lot of "office-work" which people tend not to regard as work.

- But you try walk into your boss' office and tell him/her that only business trips, marketing events and hosting other businessmen count as work. - And count how many seconds will pass before you are asked to exit through the "wooden thing in the wall behind you!"

Do any of the other royal houses publish their office working days? I'm not really sure this should be happening, how far do you want to go in giving photos of each day in your life, in accounting for each activity?

For me this is the fine balance 21st century royals need between being celebrities and being a dignified royal. It'll be interesting to see how this evolves with the next generation!

Here are a few more more photos of HRH Crown Princess Mary during the Danish industry summit at the Opera House in Copenhagen.

PPE Agency

Last edited by a moderator:
And now for something more serious: Udviklingsministeren og HKH Kronprinsessen må aflyse rejse til Senegal, men fortsætter i samarbejde med Red Barnet kampen mod børneægteskaber

The Foreign Ministry has today announced that a visit to the African country of Senegal next week, where Mary and the Minister for Development should have taken part in a meeting about child-marriages (i.e. early teens being married) has been cancelled for security reasons.
There is no elaboration as to the nature of the security reasons, but this comes days after a US warning about the security situation in the country. The warning was about an impending terror attack.

- So it seems like the local authorities haven't been able to fully neutralize that threat, hence the warning.

And now for something more serious: Udviklingsministeren og HKH Kronprinsessen må aflyse rejse til Senegal, men fortsætter i samarbejde med Red Barnet kampen mod børneægteskaber

The Foreign Ministry has today announced that a visit to the African country of Senegal next week, where Mary and the Minister for Development should have taken part in a meeting about child-marriages (i.e. early teens being married) has been cancelled for security reasons.
There is no elaboration as to the nature of the security reasons, but this comes days after a US warning about the security situation in the country. The warning was about an impending terror attack.

- So it seems like the local authorities haven't been able to fully neutralize that threat, hence the warning.

That's unfortunate and I'm sure Mary is disappointed along with everyone else who no doubt put in a lot of time and effort in advance of the planned visit. Hopefully it can be rescheduled in the future and, obviously much more importantly, I hope the situation in Senegal is managed effectively without anyone getting hurt.

That's unfortunate and I'm sure Mary is disappointed along with everyone else who no doubt put in a lot of time and effort in advance of the planned visit. Hopefully it can be rescheduled in the future and, obviously much more importantly, I hope the situation in Senegal is managed effectively without anyone getting hurt.
Agreed. CP Mary's work in this area is so important. I hope they can neutralise the situation and she can go to Senegal. Child marriages absolutely mortify me - and it needs people like CP Mary to help campaign against it

Mali, especially the northern half of Mali (it's a pretty big country, as in seriously big!) is a quite risky place.
I can't remember off hand if Danish special forces are still operating in Mali right now, but there is a military contingent there.

Was the Minister of Development Cooperation also scheduled to go to Senegal?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom