Crown Princess Mary as Patron of The Danish Brain Injury Association: 2005 - 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The daily Daily Mail article: Princess Mary visits the*Strødammen Day Centre on Copenhagen | Daily Mail Online

I must admit I'm genuinely surprised she's getting that much coverage in Daily Mail, considering she's a non BRF royal.
I know this is aimed mainly for Australian readers, but the amount of coverage nevertheless surprise me.

Any thougths?

Although I am not a Brit by any means, I do know that British papers will print anything that sells more editions of their product. It is well known that Royalty sells, ergo coverage of an Australian princess makes perfect sense in the British view of things. The fact that the Crown Princess is Danish makes her even more interesting, as Denmark is very much en vogue; I attach a link to an article in today's Daily Telegraph that, I am sure, you will find quite entertaining:lol:
Forget hygge - Brits should be embracing 'brygge'

:previous: Thanks, Gerry. That was a funny article. :lol:

Yeah, I've seen several non-Danish articles on the concept of "hygge", most of them miss the mark.

Hygge is not something you can automatically create from reading a lifestyle magazine. You can create a setting to help you create an intimate atmosphere of hygge together with your guests or family.
Because hygge is not a design, it's a feeling.

A feeling of being totally at easy, comfortable and secure in the company of your guests, family, friends or even on your own.

Dimmed lights, preferably with candles and discreet lamps in the corners helps creating the atmosphere that is the basis of hygge.

I guess it's a back to the cave feeling.
The snowstorm and predators are out there in the darkness, but in here you feel warm, safe and at ease. You've eaten your fill and now you picking lice out of the hair of Gork, while you are chuckling at the stories Brumm tell. The drawings Hark made on the cavewall last moon really look good in the flickering light, you observe. And now Uumba is putting more wood on the fire. - Aaah, nice!
You get what I mean? If you transfer that to a more modern setting, you begin to understand what hygge is.

You'll also understand that it's not a Danish thing. We are just good at creating the setting.

And no matter how many lights you put in the windows, one wrong person can ruin the whole atmosphere.

- Perhaps I should write a little bit about hygge in the Christmas thread? Because that thread very much overlap the concept of hygge. In fact that's what the whole thing is all about!

ADDED: here are two photos showing how the basis for an atmosphere of hygge can be created. It's very much about light: https://app.box.com/s/pmtlohm63ogh0rjov9he7aoy7b8qjtmu
https://app.box.com/s/33xsll5ydvv9nme6mn4qftd4d1lgh0bl

---------

After so many years in DK Mary now no doubt understands the concept and judging from photos I have seen from inside Kancellihuset, M&F has created the basis for such an atmosphere in their private home.

Last edited:
Although I am not a Brit by any means, I do know that British papers will print anything that sells more editions of their product. It is well known that Royalty sells, ergo coverage of an Australian princess makes perfect sense in the British view of things. The fact that the Crown Princess is Danish makes her even more interesting, as Denmark is very much en vogue; I attach a link to an article in today's Daily Telegraph that, I am sure, you will find quite entertaining:lol:
Forget hygge - Brits should be embracing 'brygge'

thank you for sharing the article :flowers:. through it I found this one on Hygge. Its a nice read
Why we should all embrace the Danish art of 'hygge' - living cosily

thank you Muhler, again for the Danish insights
It does seem Frederik and Mary have built their home and family life embracing this concept. Reminds me of Trend for them too.

a few more photos from Mary at the 50th anniversary of the Day center.
She gives out such a warm feeling
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...nniversary-at-the-day-for-picture-id605835502
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...nniversary-at-the-day-for-picture-id605831254

another video
VIDEO: Kronprinsesse Mary mødte stor beundrer | BILLED-BLADET

Last edited:
Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:

The center for people who have been brain-damaged, often from a stroke, do a tremendous work. And it's remarkable how much people are able to recover nowadays!
Just 25 years ago many would have been sentenced to spending the rest of their lives at a nursing home - among elderly.

Unfortunately I have to subscribe in order to see your article. :ermm:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #38, 2016.
Written by the omnipresent Ulrik Ulriksen.

https://app.box.com/s/hetbd7be0r1ooo5z2pqfwnhwyjgr3vdn

It must sometimes be weird to meet people who follow you and your family closely and often know all sorts of details about you.
That's how it was to some extent for Mary when she recently visited the day-center, Strødammen in Copenhagen, for people who have suffered a brain damage for all sorts of reasons.

Mary was shown around and told about the activities and the methods and tools used to provide additional training and stimulation for those afflicted.
She also met some of the regular users there, one being 66 years old Max R. Evensen who had a chat with Mary. (Se large photo in the article).
He said: "Those are some fine shoes you (informal) have". He also praised her dress. Afterwards he told our reporter: "I talked a little with the Crown Princess about what I do here in the day-center and then I told that I think she's neat looking and that she was wearing nice shoes".

- It is a sad fact, that is still very much taboo and indeed frowned upon that many if not most marriages where one partner suffer a brain damage end up in a divorce. There has been a good deal of focus on that subject here in DK recently, from the perspective of the partner who leave their brain-damaged spouse and why.
It is difficult to sit next to your healthy wife and imagine you would ever leave her should she suffer a stroke!
But in many cases the person who return home from the hospital is not the person you married and knew - that person is gone.
Some fortunate few come out stronger and perhaps much closer and even with a new found love.
For most it's a hard struggle.
And many simply can't cope and it ends up in a divorce. That's an extra blow for the one with the brain damage and an almost traumatic feeling of guilt and betrayal for the one who leave.
Some eventually end up reconciled and as friends but the scars are there.
It's indeed a very unpleasant topic.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

Here are some more pics of the opening at the University of Copenhagen today, March 13:

** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
Mary looked lovely and looks great being back at work, seems her events are slowly increasing.

Not sure if my translation was correct, but the BB article said that the girl shaking Mary' hand was the professors daughter?

:previous: She was indeed. Her dad is a brain-researcher and the author of several books about the brain. Such a book was presented to Mary by the girl.

Mary was very well featured on the main news today, or rather Mary and the topic, which was stroke, was well covered.

One in seven Danes will statistically suffer at least one stroke.

Even those who recover, will often face a number of after effects, and these were discussed in detail with Mary who met people who have had a stroke and recovered - almost...
That can be depression, fatigue, difficulty in concentrating, especially on long term issues, impotence and a markedly changed outlook on life.

Mary has had stroke close up as we all know, with her brother-in-law - and we still don't know to what extent this may have changed the life of Joachim if at all. But she no doubt also has her husband in mind, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom