Crown Princess Mary as Patron of Copenhagen International Fashion Fair (2005-2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, anja camilla alajdi neitzel is her name i think.

Do you know which one she was? Also, did she attened the 1st day & 2nd day or just the 2nd day of the show/fair?

Fashion fair people are told to avoid informal language when speaking to their CP ?!

I am not really sure if this belongs here or if there is a better thread where it has probably already been mentioned. I read in BUNTE online an article about Mary visiting the fashion fair. It is stated that the people Mary would meet were instructed how to approach her / do's and don'ts - which is perfectly fine - but they also mentioned that people were also instructed to avoid any slangy or informal remarks including double meanings as the CP still struggles with this part of the danish language. Excuse me?! If this is true I could not think of something more embarrassing - the CP of Denmark is not able to use the Danish language properly after almost 4 years of marriage and people are even made aware of this fact? If I was Mary I'd rather work day and night to get this sorted out instead of demontrating such an incapacity.

Apologies but I can't provide a link since I have only restricted access to the net at the moment. It should be found on bunte online, section "Adel" (royalty).

I am not really sure if this belongs here or if there is a better thread where it has probably already been mentioned. I read in BUNTE online an article about Mary visiting the fashion fair. It is stated that the people Mary would meet were instructed how to approach her / do's and don'ts - which is perfectly fine - but they also mentioned that people were also instructed to avoid any slangy or informal remarks including double meanings as the CP still struggles with this part of the danish language. Excuse me?! If this is true I could not think of something more embarrassing - the CP of Denmark is not able to use the Danish language properly after almost 4 years of marriage and people are even made aware of this fact? If I was Mary I'd rather work day and night to get this sorted out instead of demontrating such an incapacity.

Apologies but I can't provide a link since I have only restricted access to the net at the moment. It should be found on bunte online, section "Adel" (royalty).

How reliable is the source Duke of M? I can buy half of the article which is how to approach Mary & what do/don't say but the other half on the language, im not too sure. I mean, why would they tell the people that? couldnt they have said it in another way. To this point of time, I think Mary does practice the language well (as heard from a few) but the language isnt easy, so I wont blame her if she 100% doesnt talk it.
Thanks for sharing the info:)

How reliable is the source Duke of M? I can buy half of the article which is how to approach Mary & what do/don't say but the other half on the language, im not too sure. I mean, why would they tell the people that? couldnt they have said it in another way. To this point of time, I think Mary does practice the language well (as heard from a few) but the language isnt easy, so I wont blame her if she 100% doesnt talk it.
Thanks for sharing the info:)

Mmmh, it's Bunte. They write a lot of rubbish but at the same time they are right quite often. It really depends I guess, there is definitely worse yellow press than them. In this case however I understand that the reporter had either access himself or spoke to someone who did and therefore there is a chance that it is true. I understand Danish is difficult, I reckon that an Mary or anybody else might never reach the level of a native speaker, but it's about trying hard to learn even the slangy wording. I mean, enough time has passed now from getting engaged and being married to Fred to this day. Furthermore, Mary should have access to teachers any time she needs them (if her husband can't assist here :rolleyes:). IF IT IS TRUE, after spending years in Denmark it's embarrassing 1. that Mary has not learned Danish as well as somehow possible and 2. that people have to be made aware by employees of the DRF that they have to stay away from too informal chatting with their CP in order not reveal her weaknesses within the Danish language - that part is simply beyond belief.

Mmmh, it's Bunte. They write a lot of rubbish but at the same time they are right quite often. It really depends I guess, there is definitely worse yellow press than them. In this case however I understand that the reporter had either access himself or spoke to someone who did and therefore there is a chance that it is true. I understand Danish is difficult, I reckon that an Mary or anybody else might never reach the level of a native speaker, but it's about trying hard to learn even the slangy wording. I mean, enough time has passed now from getting engaged and being married to Fred to this day. Furthermore, Mary should have access to teachers any time she needs them (if her husband can't assist here :rolleyes:). IF IT IS TRUE, after spending years in Denmark it's embarrassing 1. that Mary has not learned Danish as well as somehow possible and 2. that people have to be made aware by employees of the DRF that they have to stay away from too informal chatting with their CP in order not reveal her weaknesses within the Danish language - that part is simply beyond belief.

I can't say anything about Marys language abilities, afterall I'm not danish and I also have never spoken with her - so.....

Still if and only if this would be true then this incredible idiot from the danish court has to be fired IMMEDIATELY!!!!

I cant believe that someone of the danish court could be so unprofessional and on top of this so unbelievable stupid!

Probably the court only talked to the organisers and laid out some general guidelines.

The idea about not cracking jokes or come up with witty remarks is always a good idea anyway. You can quickly find yourself in an akward situation. Always leave the witty remarks to those with experience. It also is part of being polite and showing some good manners, at least in my opinion.

I speak my native language much much longer then Mary lives in Denmark, though I'm still not able to discover allways when a person is serious or when it's a joke or worse of all something ambiguous. So it's quite sensible to ask people to stay away from witty or much worse ambiguous remarks. Not everybody shares the same kind of humor. Some people think they are funny though there speaking partner takes it serious and is quite offended. I've wittnessed this countless times and also was guilty of some mishaps myself.

In general please don't tell me anything about german tabloids, even Bunte is just this a german tabloid. As a german myself I take everything written about foreign celebrities or royals even in the Bunte with a ton of salt.

Last edited:
DoM, here is the article from Bunte. I read it, and I don't know what to think, honestly. As Binz noted, Bunte is a tabloid so I guess it all depends if you want to believe it or not.

However, for those of us who are not vapidly insecure and are objective when it comes to Mary, will read the article with a grain of salt. Mary's Danish may not be extremely perfect, but she does speak the language. Of course, those who drink their daily Hateraide will think otherwise, but then again no one takes circus monkeys seriously...;):D

Last edited:
Even if the story is 100% accurate it isn't the least bit embarrassing.

Mary was no doubt taught the formal straight-from-the-textbook Danish. As if that isn't a challenge in itself there is the slang, informal language, double entendres, jokes..etc to contend with. That will no doubt take years to fully comprehend. It's one of the disadvantages of not being a native speaker.

When the young kids here talk in slang I do not understand what they are saying. How is Mary to know all the slang sayings. Another way to knock her down as far as I can see. Some seem to enjoy that much more than others.

DoM, here is the article from Bunte. I read it, and I don't know what to think, honestly. As Binz noted, Bunte is a tabloid so I guess it all depends if you want to believe it or not.

However, for those of us who are not vapidly insecure and are objective when it comes to Mary, will read the article with a grain of salt. Mary's Danish may not be extremely perfect, but she does speak the language. Of course, those who drink their daily Hateraide will think otherwise, but then again no one takes circus monkeys seriously...;):D
(My Bolding)

I love your new slang GT and have filed it away for future plagerization (hope you don't mind).:D I agree that those who are objective will take the article for what its worth (not a whole lot IMO), those who drink the aforementioned beverage will have the opposite view. I think on the whole most people have a fairly positive view of Mary, but her detractors will always be able to find new ways to vilify her. As I am unfamiliar with the publication the article appeared in, I have no idea if it is like most tabloids, which seem to perpetuate a love/hate relationship with most celebs and royals.

I admire Mary and think she is a courageous lady, in her shoes I don't think I could have made the same choice four/five years ago. One day she will make a wonderful consort. Just not any time soon though as I am also a great admirer of Queen Margrethe. :flowers:

If you're not objective towards Mary you're "vapidly insecure"??
I haven't been here in weeks...I must have missed some sort of Mary-bashing throw-down.

However, "drinking your daily hateraide" is too funny! :lol:

If the article is true why should people have to refrain from using slang? How else is she going to grasp the entire language?

Well DoM, when I lived in Germany, I took a test where I passed with a grade of 'fluent' in German but there still were a lot of slang/informal expressions I didn't know. I think it takes a lifetime to learn the slang of a country and the slang keeps changing.

There was no shame in admitting to people that I didn't understand slang. Why should it be for Mary?

If you're not objective towards Mary you're "vapidly insecure"??
I haven't been here in weeks...I must have missed some sort of Mary-bashing throw-down.

However, "drinking your daily hateraide" is too funny! :lol:

The first line was an over-exaggeration, but I think most understand the point. I'm not saying those who are not objective are "vapidly insecure" including those who view Mary as a saint; in fact, far from it.

On the other hand, those who vilify her (thanks LadyCat;)) are seen, by some, as being insecure about themselves and most likely led extremely boring lives. Thus the only thing that makes those people feel better about themselves is to bash another to the point that the majority of sane people (royal watchers and non), on planet earth, will believe that there is something incredibly wrong with them.

The Bunte article is a strange one. I'm not saying that it is full of lies, perhaps there is some truth to it (i.e. her PR people asking others to address her in a specific manner.) Nonetheless, the other statement that "...one must not talk to her in slang because she doesn't understand..." Hmmm, I don't about that.

Some have suggested, without valid proof, that Mary learned the Danish language right after her engagement. :rolleyes:Um, yeah... nice thought, but far from the truth. There are various documented evidence that counter those claims. Mary began learning Danish prior to the engagement. Sure she wasn't perfect, but she did and continues to learn the language. Furthermore, it makes absolute sense that when she was taking Danish lessons, prior and present, I'm sure some of her friends taught her some slang words including her husband. As a result, one could conclude that she may understand some words and phrases.

Last edited:
Well DoM, when I lived in Germany, I took a test where I passed with a grade of 'fluent' in German but there still were a lot of slang/informal expressions I didn't know. I think it takes a lifetime to learn the slang of a country and the slang keeps changing.

There was no shame in admitting to people that I didn't understand slang. Why should it be for Mary?

Hey Ysbel :flowers:

As I said, you'll never learn a language as good as if it was your mother tongue - and even in your mother tongue you might not understand some of the slangy stuff, especially if people are from different generations and there is nothing embarrassing about that. What I do find embarrassing is that - according to the article - people from the Danish Royal House ask people beforehand not to talk too informal or make witty remarks because Mary MIGHT not understand. Well, apart from the fact that people should save their witty remarks for Prince Philip's next visit it gives the impression that Mary does not understand too informal talk very well and this, on the other hand, would be embarrassing. Furthermore, in case somebody does a witty remark and she doesn't get it she should be confident enough to deal with the situation on her own, therefore no need to send out such a message before the actual event.

Well saying 'witty remark' can also mean many things. I know many people I know where I live, including myself can say things very sarcastically. It can cause misunderstandings to those who may be fluent in the language but not this style of speech. I think maybe this is what the court means. Not that she doesn't understand it. But more she may misunderstand the meaning of what they are saying because she may interpret in her mind literally and not understand a cultural item.

And I agree with what is said here about slang. Not only is it a cultral thing they don't teach in language classes, but it varies by region, dialect, and generation. So someone who grew up in the 50's may have a slang term that someone like Mary who came of age in the 80/90's may not understand because it fell out of use decades ago.

I think she does very well with Danish and should be proud of her acheivements. Like it was said a few posts back, she is not a saint, but she is not a sinner either. I think she has done extremely well for herself.

As a native American English speaker I hear foreigners who are very educated and have spoken English for decades still make mistakes in pronuciation, word usage, etc. But you accept it as really nothing. It doesn't bother anyone. So I think that some of the complaints about Mary are incorrect. Yes, people are entitled to them but I don't give them merit as they are not realistic. I mean there are world leaders who have real political power who make linguistic mistakes all the time. The should be held to a higher standard as they control what goes on in the world. But everyone understands that people make mistakes. I accept that with them. And I accept that with a Crown Princess who has no political power and is trying to represent her nation with dignity and grace, and wants to help make the world a better place.

As far as not saying things "nice" about Mary; there is a difference between being a hate monger with nothing else better to do, and offering a disagreement or crit of Mary. It has to do with intelligence and being a decent person and acting like an adult. But some people want to turn things into a childish playground spat. Disagreements are good, but hopefully all sides can do it in a civilized manner. The internet is very difficult to judge tone and intent. So sometimes people read too much into things. But other times it is different. We just all have to try and understand. Misunderstandings may occur. In this global community it is impossible for it not to occur. But hopefully everything can be resolved with clarification and maybe apologies. Then everyone can enjoy and the discomfort and anger is short lived.

Bunte is considered a tabloid. With all tabloids there is a 50/50 chance of getting it correct or not. It could also be like a game of telephone. Perhaps some of you played it as a child. One person whispers something in someones ear, the they whisper it in the next person's and so on till you get to the end. It never ends up like the original statement. It could be the case with this reporter. Maybe the court person said, like I have heard them do in the UK, that Mary should be addressed and spoken to in such and such a way. As per her royal "station." Or maybe the court asked they not use "industry terms" that Mary herself or the average person for that matter may or may not understand. When I studied fashion there were a lot of terms I didn't know or slang terms for somethings that if I told my mother she would not get. That's part of every industry.

Last edited:
Mary looks gorgeous and extremely elegant.

She is so pretty!!!!!

"As a native American English speaker I hear foreigners who are very educated and have spoken English for decades still make mistakes in pronuciation, word usage, etc. But you accept it as really nothing. It doesn't bother anyone"
oh fashionista100, thanks for my laugh this morning, your post reminded me of relatives from louisiana, maine and mississippi, they come visit and they talk fast or slow using different dialects,pronuciation and word usuage, the rest of us look at each other and go "huh", we can't understand a word they're saying, and they hear us and say the same thing "what's that mean" i think it's charming and personal and what makes us all different, but we're all native english speakers, that's what makes it so hilarious. if a wrong word here or there, is all they have to throw rocks with, it just proves what an excellent job mary is doing JMO lovely post thanks again

great skirt, elegant and professional (don't really like the black tops,kinda severe, i think a silk red turleneck would have popped)

i might be biased but IMO madeleine is the best, she runs circles around all the others including, respectfully mr. steffen. in my favorite shot, mary seems to be looking directly at madeleine with a friendly, familar (as in "i know her") smile. madeleine always gets that extra detail in a shot, or a closeup of something others missed, she is such an artist. i'm so proud of her, she got to follow her dream and is excelling beyond the clouds.

extra thanks to all for the links and videos

I love the skirt and am seriously liking the dark hosiery she is wearing lately. Unlike MM who wears this look too appalingly Mary is fine enough to carry it off. This outfit reminds me of the christening outfit the gold skirt etc when Isabella was only a few months old will find a photo .... IMO.

Princess Mary visited the Designers Nest and CPH Vision Fashion in the Oksanehallen in Copenhagen PPE Agency

I quite enjoy seeing Mary wondering through the different designers who are showing their collection. She always seems interested and I like how she picks up things, looks at them close etc.

Mary looked wonderful at both events. Did she sit with Countess Alexandra at the Malene Birger event?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom