Crown Princess Mary and the Twins Leave Hospital: January 14, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but joking apart, a comparison between older photos (i.e. last winter) and today photos shows that frederik is really getting fitter and fitter. not only has he lost weight, but he seems to have been working out in the gym bc for example his shoulders appear broader (i first got this impression from the pics of him riding this summer, with a light blue t-shirt). is it just an impression of mine?

These babies are really cute!! They look so much like Isabella!

What a beautiful family!!

Mary looked great! A bit tired but so happy!!

Can't wait till the christening to know the babies' names and for the official photoshoot with Christian and Isabella!

Thanks for all the links
The twins are so very sweet, and although I thnk it is hard to say who small babies look like I do think they both look a little like the super cute Isabella.
Mary and Frederik are a couple of very happy and very proud parents.

I did, I did!!!! :D Only, I wasn't online much yesterday (bummer, the only day I couldn't follow the event!) and couldn't voice my deep felt appreciation of the addition of yet another gorgeous colour to male attire!! ;)
I agree with UserDane :D:D:D

I just swooned so much over the babies yesterday that I completely forgot CP Frederik :whistling::lol::whistling:

I have a question regarding the bracelet that Prince Frederik was wearing on his right arm I think. Does anybody know what it is wirtten on it? Maybe something related to his children? I couldn't check it out.

Also the Princess is in fabulous shape. It is really very much admiring how she was able to heep her figure in such great form with two babies to carry over months. I for my part hope she doesn't lose this wait as it suits her very very well. She looked tired but who wouldn't with two little ones to take care for?

Last edited:
I have a question regarding the bracelet that Prince Frederik was wearing on his right arm I think. Does anybody know what it is wirtten on it? Maybe something related to his children? I couldn't check it out.
It´s a supportbracelet for our troops in Afghanistan :flowers:

I'm interested to know how the Danish posters feel about Mary's command of their language. I remember when she was first engaged & married there she was made fun of because her Danish speaking was not so good. WHat do you think now?
I think she is doing very well :) You can still hear that danish isn´t her mothertongue, but she has very very very big vocabularium. She knows the little differences in the language (the nuances), which to me shows that the CPC talks danish at home. Yeah, I know that they also speak english, but the main language is danish :)

I'm interested to know how the Danish posters feel about Mary's command of their language. I remember when she was first engaged & married there she was made fun of because her Danish speaking was not so good. WHat do you think now?

Thanks for the clips. :flowers:

I find Mary's mastery of Danish in regards to her vocalabury and grammar to be near perfect.
She is also more articulate than Frederik. On par with QMII and Joachim in fact.
She has a very distinct accent, which I don't think she will ever lose. It's no problem for me as I can easily understand her most of the time. It happens I have to pay a little attention, when she is talking. Mostly, I guess when she is mentally going through what she want's to say or convey. When she's just chatting away, no problem.
I think many finds her accent charming.

I don't recall anyone making fun of her because of her accent. Making parodies, yes, of course, but that's another matter.

Also, I understand that Danish sounds are pretty difficult for English speakers in particular.

ADDED: I agree with FasterB, Mary is clearly thinking in Danish most of the time.

She isn't anywhere near getting the same treatment as Prince Henrik.

Our Marie in comparison is close in the heels of Mary and I believe she will eventually speak Danish with less accent than Mary. Perhaps she has a talent for languages or because it's an advantage for her to already have learned several languages.

Last edited:
I think Mary has a great vocabulary, and you could even tell yesterday, at one point she had difficulties expressing herself in english! :D

I agree with FasterB, Mary is clearly thinking in Danish most of the time.

I do recall hearing (an interview or something of that nature) where Mary stated that she does think in Danish most of the time, and infact, even dreams in Danish.

As you notice her accent when she speaks Danish, I notice a slight Danish lilt when she speaks English. Sometimes she hesitates when delivering a sentence (considering how to construct it I'd imagine) and occasionally uses a word that although it makes sense, does not necessarily 'fit' like it should.

When she speaks, It's clear she was born and raised an Australian, certainly to my ear. But quite naturally, and as time progresses, she sounds like someone who has been away from 'home' for some time, and well, she has so it's no real surprise.

And I find it quite normal that the sounds she must make when speaking Danish intergrate into her english pronounciation. Especially her 'o' sounds.

Last edited:
As you notice her accent when she speaks Danish, I notice a slight Danish lilt when she speaks English. Sometimes she hesitates when delivering a senetnce (considering how to construct it I'd imagine) and occasionally uses a word that although it makes sense, does not necessarily 'fit' like it should.

When she speaks, It's clear she wasn born and raised an Australian, certainly to my ear. But quite naturally, and as time progresses, she sounds like someone who has been away from 'home' for some time, and well, she has so it's no real surprise.

And I find it quite normal that the sounds she must make when speaking Danish intergrate into her english pronounciation. Espeically her 'o' sounds.

Thank you. :flowers:
I often wonder how her English sounds now.

I remember some articles in Australian papers some years ago, which pointed out that she used "one" instead of "you" or "I". That is however extremely common in Danish ("man" actually) and while it is considered somewhat posh by Australians it was clearly something she had picked up.

Thank you. :flowers:
I often wonder how her English sounds now.

I remember some articles in Australian papers some years ago, which pointed out that she used "one" instead of "you" or "I". That is however extremely common in Danish ("man" actually) and while it is considered somewhat posh by Australians it was clearly something she had picked up.

I expect her to say 'one'. Surely it's the right royal pregrogative to do so?!

And something I hope never changes ;):D

This morning, I have seen the video clip from their departure from the hospital. I noticed that an Australian reporter asked for Mary's opinion about the terrible flooding of Queensland. She answered and her answered ended with something like 'we saw it her til morgen' ... and then a quick correction 'this morning'. Both my daughters had noticed it too; to me it shows that she really must be thinking in Danish, if she lapses into the Danish words for 'this morning'. As Muhler and others have said she has a really extensive vocabulary. I noticed especially her wide variety of adjectives which she uses correctly.

And as to accent, well even the late Queen Ingrid who was born and bred in a neighbouring country and lived in Denmark for many decades never lost her own accent completely.

And why should they - it is just another charming trait :flowers:

:previous: I've always found her accent charming. Very pretty and delicate. Clear too.

Don't you think they will already have names to be called but they will like officially announced at the christening? I can't imagine they wouldn't have any names that long?

CP Mary was asked what they called the twins.

She said they at this point was calling the twins "lille pige" and "lille dreng" that would in english be little girl and little boy.:flowers:

Can anyone translate what they were saying when Frederik tears up?

CP Mary said that CP Frederik had been so supportive with a lot of love and doing all the right things. :flowers:

And CP Frederik shed almost a tear.:lol::lol:

Also the Princess is in fabulous shape. It is really very much admiring how she was able to heep her figure in such great form with two babies to carry over months. I for my part hope she doesn't lose this wait as it suits her very very well. She looked tired but who wouldn't with two little ones to take care for?

The bracelet is a support to the soldiers in Afghanistan.

CP Frederik went to visit the soldiers just before christmas. It was a secret visit.

Actually I read that CP Mary also had been to Afghanistan but some months ago.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the clips. :flowers:

I find Mary's mastery of Danish in regards to her vocalabury and grammar to be near perfect.
She is also more articulate than Frederik. On par with QMII and Joachim in fact.
She has a very distinct accent, which I don't think she will ever lose. It's no problem for me as I can easily understand her most of the time. It happens I have to pay a little attention, when she is talking. Mostly, I guess when she is mentally going through what she want's to say or convey. When she's just chatting away, no problem.
I think many finds her accent charming.

I don't recall anyone making fun of her because of her accent. Making parodies, yes, of course, but that's another matter.

Also, I understand that Danish sounds are pretty difficult for English speakers in particular.

ADDED: I agree with FasterB, Mary is clearly thinking in Danish most of the time.

She isn't anywhere near getting the same treatment as Prince Henrik.

Our Marie in comparison is close in the heels of Mary and I believe she will eventually speak Danish with less accent than Mary. Perhaps she has a talent for languages or because it's an advantage for her to already have learned several languages.

Well I haven't heard Marie speak any danish besides two sentences in the 11 hour documentary about the royal family.

In the first scene she cant remember the name of her son. In the second scene she says she likes to eat lunch with her husbond.:flowers:

CP Mary speaks danish fluently.:lol:

I don't understand your criticism of CP Frederik. He speaks a perfect danish.

You might think he speaks different from you perhaps? He is after all an academic and has been studying at a University.

:previous: I've always found her accent charming. Very pretty and delicate. Clear too.

I think that all danes love danish with an english accent, because it sounds very charming.:flowers:

I'm a bit ashamed to say that a lot of danes are some what intolerant towards danish spoken with other accents par example french.:sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
What lovely babies !!!! I really adore this couple and family !!!!
God bless them !!!!

I also noticed Mary was thinking in Danish when she was answering her questions in English. She had to think for a second about how to say it in English and she even put two words together incorrectly. I love the way Mary speaks, I agree, its very charming.

Even though I didn't understand anything Mary said, I am in awe of her for being able to learn the Danish language. She looked very at ease when speaking to the media so I had guessed that she could speak Danish very fluently.

As an Australian, I have noticed how her sentence structure when speaking English has become very formal and she does swap her words around a little. This is a common trait also with many people whose second language is English.

When using Google Translate to look at Danish websites I see that there are alot of words in sentences that, if being spoken in perfect English, would have been superfluous and so it all looks a bit odd and jumbled. But still, I can make sense of it enough to understand what is being conveyed :)

Gosh, I am so in love with the new little Prince and Princess, I am clucky for twins of my own now! :wub:

Edited to add: I was really happy that the photographers observed the request to not use flash photography. I noticed when Prince William and Kate Middleton faced the press after announcing their engagement that everyone used flash photography, it must have been horrible to have all those lightbulbs going off at once.

For once I can actually praise the media for showing some respect. But was annoying to hear all the camera shutters constantly clicking away every time Mary or Fred made a gesture or touched the babies' faces.

Last edited:
The twins are adorable.The little princess looks like princess Isabella.
I am so happy to see another little princess in the Danish royal family
Congratulations to this charming couple and theirs respective families.
I hope CP Victoria of Sweden is the next to become a mother.
I was really suprised to see how F&M go close to the public.That's very kind of them.They even allowed someone from the public to put the bonnets on the babies head.
I hope we will soon see pictures with their four child.

I don't understand your criticism of CP Frederik. He speaks a perfect danish.

You might think he speaks different from you perhaps? He is after all an academic and has been studying at a University.

Sorry, disagree. Mary speaks a more coherent and articulate Danish than Frederik.

He mumbles, use odd expressions, incoherent and I often have to think about what he actually means. It's not crystal clear right away.
Mary is easy to translate, Frederik is often a challenge!
Especially when he is conscious of the audience. When he is relaxed, his manner of speech is much more fluent.

Verbal communication is Frederik's main weak point.

But what on earth has that got to do with Frederik attending university?
Try explain that to me, Benedikte. Me, the ignorant brute, who has never attended university and who is now resting on my hairy knuckles in a vain attempt to comprehend your meaning.
Write slowly please. :p

Last edited:
Sorry, disagree. Mary speaks a more coherent and articulate Danish than Frederik.

He mumbles, use odd expressions, incoherent and I often have to think about what he actually means. It's not crystal clear right away.
Mary is easy to translate, Frederik is often a challenge!
Especially when he is conscious of the audience. When he is relaxed, his manner of speech is much more fluent.

Verbal communication is Frederik's main weak point.

But what on earth has that got to do with Frederik attending university?
Try explain that to me, Benedikte. Me, the ignorant brute, who has never attended university and who is now resting on my hairy knuckles in a vain attempt to comprehend your meaning.
Write slowly please. :p

I can easily understand CP Frederik. I acknowledge and recognise he is expressing himself as the academic man he is:flowers:

I suppose there is this difference between academics and non academics in some countries.:lol:

:flowers: Thank you for posting that video. I finally get to see it in it's entirety! Frederik is such an emotional person which makes him all the more endearing. Mary looks amazingl for a woman who has just given birth to twins but the twins are the ones I can't stop looking at! They are so adorable and sooo cute!

It almost makes me want to have more babies. Almost.

That Prince Frederik, who would've thought he was so potent at making such beautiful babies?:lol: He needs to practice something called contraception now and give that poor woman a break!!!:lol:
Oh I wouldn't worry!:lol::lol:I think that they are DONE with having any more children!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

She looks gorgeous the babies are like all little ones very cute and thanks to you all for posting the videos good luck to them.

All the best to them. I've hope that all have good first night together in home or in new home for some of them:flowers:

I can easily understand CP Frederik. I acknowledge and recognise he is expressing himself as the academic man he is:flowers:

I suppose there is this difference between academics and non academics in some countries.:lol:

Indeed. there is this thing called: åndshovmod, an expression which my old Danish teacher once used and which I've never forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom