Crown Princess Mary and the Twins Leave Hospital: January 14, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So good that they have tamed Isabella's hair. It has been brushed and smooth in all the recent photos ... I did think Isabella was looking a little Helena Bonham Carterish for a while there! :p

That pic is from the event where they keys to the newly renovated palace were handed over ;)

Last edited:
Tidbits compiled from countless articles in Billed Bladet #02, 2011.
Written by all the royal reporters.

Elvis and Shirley are called (officially that is) lille dreng = little boy and lille pige = little girl by their parents.

The ballons hanging under the ceilling in the foyer, in case you were wondering, were from the blood bank.

Mary's stylist and hairdresser popped by Rigshospitalet to shine her up a bit before the meeting with the press.

When they went out of the main entrance Frederik spotted someone among the onlookers who stood with a sign saying: "Real men have twins". That made him laugh: "If you (informal you) say so, it's probably right".

M&F had a little problem with the caps, when they were about to leave the hospital. Apparantly Mary had Shirley's cap and Frederik had Elvis' cap, so that had to be sorted out first. (*)

They left in an Audi A8. The Crown 68 car.

There is also a note about the star sign of the twins, but since the Zodiac system has been increased to thirteen signs, (about time they discovered that one) I can't figure it out anymore. So in what sign are the twins born? (**)

Mary drank mineral water at the hospital, supplied by the attentive Frederik, whenever she got the least bit thirsty.

Shirley didn't need treatment for jaundice, Elvis did.

Morten Hedegaard and Birgitte Hillerup, recieved a signed photo of M&F on a silver platter and the book about the restoration of Frederik VIII Palæ (palais).
The more assisting members of the maternity team, Agnete Nørrelund, Mette Simonsen and Peter Damm also recieved personal gifts.

Just before M&F went down with the elevator to meet the press, they were celebrated (cheered I guess) by the entire staff at the maternity ward and a considerable number of the other patients there. M&F then took their time chatteing with the other new parents at the ward.

A couple of days after giving birth, fatique finally set in. Mary was completely exhausted for about a day, reinforced by the emotional turmoil of the milk running to her breasts. (***)
Once Mary had passed this difficult period, she was soon back in fine form, albeit somewhat tired.

John Donaldson, Susan Moody and Jane Stephens are currently staying at Amalienborg and they have been observed having a stroll around Amalienborg, with and without Ziggy.
Jane had prudently borrowed one af Frederik's warm ski jackets, because Australia in the summer is nothing like Denmark in mid winter!
John Donaldson is, judging from the pictures in the article, in serious danger of cracking his head, as he is sporting the widest of smiles.
Jane told our reporter: "I'm so proud of my sister". And about the twins: "They are wonderful both of them - and beautiful. Mary is handling it so well".

Elvis and Shirley will have their first official flag day in 2029, when the turn eighteen and as such are of legal age. - By then public (i.e. government, state and municipal) buildings are required to fly Danneborg.

There is also a transcript, which I'll deal with later.

(*) And here we have a difference between men and women. 99.9 % of all men (including I bet, Frederik) would think: It's just caps - for infants, no less! What's the big deal? It's just like small pillows, we cannot understand it...

(**) Because it is the age of Aquariuos.. sorry, got carried away.

(***) You know how it is.

Last edited:
eh no muhler, frederik has shown a remarkable attention to colours... so you should not count him in the 99.9 male population who would don a baby daughter the wrong hat ;-)

Last edited:
eh no muhler, frederik has shown a remarkable attention to colours... so you should not count him in the 99.9 male population who would don a baby daughter the wrong hat ;-)

:lol: Then perhaps he also understands the purpose of small pillows all over the place? Or why it's absolutely impossible for you to wear a blue shirt, when your wife is carrying a beige clutch. - I don't, I just change shirt. ;)

Well, at least Fred knows the purpose of a stereo with enormous speakers :lol:

From articles in Billed Bladet #03, 2011 about Mary and Frederik meeting the press at Rigshospitalet.
Written by all the royal reporters.

Mary and Frederik have been talking about what names the twins will get: “But we haven’t quite determined it yet”, replied Mary.
Frederik: “That’s after all something you do (announcing the names) at the baptismal font”.

Q: How was it to give birth to the twins?
Mary: “That’s difficult to say in words, but I had support from both my husband and my little boy, in order to bring her into the world. It was enchanting”.

Q: Is there a difference between the twins?
Mary: “She’s actually a bit more calm than he is, but he loves his kid-sister. He’s very seeking (*) after her, when they lie together”.
Frederik: “Yes, they do lie together and sleep. They are good at that”.
Mary: “We work hard on getting them synchronized and they actually are. But we can already see differences, but also where they resemble each other. I think it’s something incredibly special, we are allowed to experience. A big privilege to experience the relationship there is between twins”.

Mary appears to have got that question twice, because she described her twins: “She’s taking thins a bit more laid back, that is, relaxed, while he shows his temper a bit more”. But that can change, she added.

Q: How have Prince Christian and Princess Isabella received their little siblings?
M&F: “Really well”.
Mary: “It was a big experience to see the two little… No, now these two are the little ones – but to se Christian and Isabelle receive the twins. They were so proud and so happy. Isabella soon began to tuck down their duvet around them. We have taken some fantastic pictures of all four of them. Christian and Isabella look very much forward for them (the twins) to come home”.

Q: Have you considered going on maternity leave, Crown Prince Frederik?
Frederik: “It has crossed my mind”.

Q: What’s the biggest challenge for you now?
Frederik: “To come home and make a family life for four children to stick together. We are looking extremely forward to showing our home to those two here. To enter a daily rhythm”.

Mary hasn’t had much sleep for any extended period since she gave birth: “No, there hasn’t been much of that. There is a lot of breastfeeding to attend to with those two”.

Q: What do you mostly look forward to, when you return to Amalienborg?
Frederik: “To have the whole family coordinated in the daily life. Now we are six. That’ll be a huge experience”.

Q: How are you right now, Crown Princess Mary?
Mary: “Oh, that’s difficult to put in words. I’m just so…. So happy. And proud”.

And this concludes the summaries from Billed Bladet this week. But never fear, there will be more about the twins next week.

(*) Prefer to have physical contact with her.

Last edited:
Such insight we would not have without you, Muhler, so thank you 10 times over.

Well done Muhler! Thank you for such a long translation :flowers:

There is also a note about the star sign of the twins, but since the Zodiac system has been increased to thirteen signs, (about time they discovered that one) I can't figure it out anymore. So in what sign are the twins born? (**)

There is some skepticism about whether there are actually thirteen star signs. Ophiuchus, aka Serpentarius or The Serpent Holder, is not included in current standard astrological zodiacs. If it was then it would fall in between Scorpio and Sagittarius.

This is the Zodiac as some astrologers believe it should be:

ARIES = APRIL 19 - MAY 13
TAURUS = MAY 14 - JUNE 19
GEMINI = JUNE 20 - JULY 20
CANCER = JULY 21 - AUG 9
LEO = AUGUST 10 - SEPTEMBER 15
VIRGO = SEPTEMBER 16 - OCTOBER 30
LIBRA = OCTOBER 31 - NOVEMBER 22
SCORPIO = NOVEMBER 23 - NOVEMBER 29
OPHIUCHUS = NOVEMBER 30 - DECEMBER 17
SAGITTARIUS = DECEMBER 18 - JANUARY 18
CAPRICORN = JANUARY 19 - FEBRUARY 15
AQUARIUS = FEBRUARY 16 - MARCH 11
PISCES = MARCH 12 - APRIL 18

Read more: Ophiuchus - The 13th Sign of the Zodiac 2011

I am a Sagittarian (December 8th) but if the zodiac calendar was changed I would become a "Serpentarian" which, curiously, matches the meaning of my name, Belinda, which in some baby name books means "serpent-like" or "beautiful serpent" - I know which one I would prefer! :ROFLMAO:

Forgot to mention that the twins would be Sagittarians under the 13 zodiac system but Capricorns under the present 12 zodiac system :flowers:

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the information Jewelinthecrown, i've been searching for someone to explain this new system to me.

Some noted astrologers discount this new zodiac as rubbish. They say the researchers who changed the order and added that new one is basing the new arrangements on the wrong thing. I don't know enough about Zodiac signs to argue one way or another.

Last edited:
Yes, there are many heated debates about whether Ophiuchus is an "actual" zodiac sign. It has alot to do with the Mayan calendar I think but I have absolutely no idea really :lol::whistling:

Yes, there are many heated debates about whether Ophiuchus is an "actual" zodiac sign. It has alot to do with the Mayan calendar I think but I have absolutely no idea really :lol::whistling:

Thanks for your explanation, JewelintheCrown :flowers:

The Mayans?!? Now I get completely confused.
Wasn't the Zodiac thing invented by the Babylonians?

And since that didn't happen yesterday, havn't the zodiac signs shifted a bit since then?
So are Elvis and Shirliey still Stenbuk = Sagittarius, even when you count twelve signs?

This "new" Zodiac has something to do with the Mayan calendar. I will try to find out more later.

Edited to say: sorry I answered so quickly without explaining properly, I was on my way out to the cinema to see The King's Speech - great movie!

Last edited:
The twins are Capricorns at the moment, under the 12 month calender aren't they?

Thank you, Muhler, for keep us updated so well! I have briefly entertained the idea of studying Danish just to follow M&F better. Does that make me obsessed?

Elvis and Shirley will have their first official flag day in 2029, when the turn eighteen and as such are of legal age. - By then public (i.e. government, state and municipal) buildings are required to fly Danneborg.

What's this about?

A little translation from me - Billedbladet

A happy foursome
It was a deeply affected couple who stood Friday afternoon in the National Hospital lobby, each with a tiny twin in the arms. Happy and tired after a short week with the kids.
Mary held the boy, Frederick the girl, and while the two small slept soundly, wrapped in the soft, knitted blanket, they got the loving glances from their parents. For although the questions rained down on the royal couple, their attention all the time was with "little girl" and "Little Boy"as they call the twins. Several times Crown Princess Mary's eyes was filled with tears when she was talking about the birth, and when she described how nice it was to have Fred at his side, it was he who struggled with the tears.
For the royal couple it has been an overwhelming experience to become parents to a couple of twins. Mary used the word "enchanting" while Frederick said that "it has been very big. " That there is no greater happiness they can agree on.

Thank you, Muhler, for keep us updated so well! I have briefly entertained the idea of studying Danish just to follow M&F better. Does that make me obsessed?

What's this about?

No, not at all. To me it just sounds like you wish to learn more, in this case about another culture and language. And that is always a good thing. :)

The flag days?

The birthdays of all adult members of the DRF are official flag days.
On flag days all public institutions, buildings and so must fly Dannebrog in the honor of the DRF member who has a birthday.
DRF members under the age of eighteen are not of legal age and as such they cannot act as regent (actually Rigsforstander as only the Crown Prince can be Regent), so no flags are flying in their honor.
There are of course other flag days through out the year.

Ordinary citizens and private businesses are not required to fly Dannebrog on a flag day. If they do, the legislation regarding flying the flag applies.
That legislation is pretty detailed and pretty strict!
Examples:
Dannebrog must not fly before sun up, or 06.00 in the morning. And it must be lowered no later than 18.00 or when the sun goes down, whatever comes first.
No flag, not even that of other nations is allowed to fly higher than Dannebrog. - With the exceptions of embassies, which tecnically speaking are located on foreign soil.
A discarded Dannebrog must be burned on a clean fire. Basically, you fold the flag and place it on a fire, in say the garden.
Failing to do any of the above is a breach of the law.

Last edited:
I have translated a bit from Billedbladet.

part 1 It was enchanting
It was a brilliant and confident CP Mary, together with CP Frederik that showed off their newborn twins. Wearing black pants, black loose fitting jacket and a beautiful pink silk blouse, she came out with her newborn son in her arms while Frederik in blue suit and mauve shirt walked beside with his daughter in his arms. From the ceiling of the National Hospital vestibule hung a sea of red and blue balloons, and although television cameras rolled, photographers snapped and reporters asked a lot of questions, "Little Girl" and "little boy" slept like babies from all the commotion.
CP has speculated what the little ones should be called "but we have not quite decided that yet, " said Mary.
That is not done before the baptismal font, said the proud father.
One of the first questions to CP Mary was how she experienced the birth of 8 January where her little son was born at 10.30 and his sister half an hour later.
It's hard to put into words but I had support from both my husband and my little boy to get her to the world. It was enchanting, said Mary while her eyes filled with tears. A few days before Fred had told how he stood with his little son in his arms so close to Mary that she could hold the boy's hand while she gave birth to twin number two.
It was a great moment said the Crown Prince moved.

CP was also asked if they are already experiencing the difference between the twins.
"She's actually a little more calm than he is but he is searching for her when they are together."
"Yes they are sleeping together. They are good at it" said Frederik.
We work hard to get them synchronized and they are actually now. But we can already see the differences but also how they are similar. I think it's something incredibly special we are allowed to experience. A great privilege to experience the relationship that exists between twins, "said Mary.

part 2 It was enchanting

How did Prince Christian and Princess Isabella received their younger siblings?

Very good it sounded consistent from CP.
It was a great experience to see the two little - no, now they're the two small-but to see Christian and Isabella welcome the twins. They were so proud and so happy. Isabella began very quickly to put the quilt down on them. We have taken some amazing pictures of the four of them. Christian and Isabella are looking forward to receive them at home said Mary.

Do they intend to take maternity leave CP Frederik?
It has since occurred to me said Fred with a big grin.

What is the biggest challenge for them now?
To come home and get a new family with four children to work. We look forward very much to show the twins their new home. To get into a daily rhythm replied Frederick.

Although CP Mary's hairdresser and stylist had her look adorable, the fatigue that is a natural result of a birth is not completely hidden and Mary confessed indeed that it was not very coherent sleep she had had since the twins arrived.
No it has lacked a little. There is much breast-feeding to do she said with a smile.

What do you most look forward to when you come back to Amalienborg?
To get the whole family together and working together. Now we are six. It will be a great experience, said the CP Frederik going out of the hospital.

How are you right now CP Mary?
Oh it's hard to put into words. I'm just so ... so happy. And proud.

Last edited:

No more than some of the rest of us! ;) I've learned a little Norwegian/Danish/Scandinavish (only a little) because I love the Norwegian and Danish royals. I could never read a whole article or offer a halfway decent translation, but I can read some simple sentences or headlines and I can often get a vague idea what an article is about. And of course it's always nice to know a little bit about another language and culture.

Muhler and Benedikte, thanks for the updates and translations. I love hearing about the little twins. And Muhler, I particularly appreciate all the extra information you always give, like the stuff here about the flag. I've learned a lot from you, not just about the royals but about Denmark as a whole. :flowers:

:lol: Then perhaps he also understands the purpose of small pillows all over the place? Or why it's absolutely impossible for you to wear a blue shirt, when your wife is carrying a beige clutch. - I don't, I just change shirt. ;)

You are a very wise man

part 2 It was enchanting

How did Prince Christian and Princess Isabella received their younger siblings?

Very good it sounded consistent from CP.
It was a great experience to see the two little - no, now they're the two small-but to see Christian and Isabella welcome the twins. They were so proud and so happy. Isabella began very quickly to put the quilt down on them. We have taken some amazing pictures of the four of them. Christian and Isabella are looking forward to receive them at home said Mary.

Do they intend to take maternity leave CP Frederik?
It has since occurred to me said Fred with a big grin.

What is the biggest challenge for them now?
To come home and get a new family with four children to work. We look forward very much to show the twins their new home. To get into a daily rhythm replied Frederick.

Although CP Mary's hairdresser and stylist had her look adorable, the fatigue that is a natural result of a birth is not completely hidden and Mary confessed indeed that it was not very coherent sleep she had had since the twins arrived.
No it has lacked a little. There is much breast-feeding to do she said with a smile.

What do you most look forward to when you come back to Amalienborg?
To get the whole family together and working together. Now we are six. It will be a great experience, said the CP Frederik going out of the hospital.

How are you right now CP Mary?
Oh it's hard to put into words. I'm just so ... so happy. And proud.

Thanks Benedikte :flowers:. I like your objective translations. No manipulation. Just translation.

Last edited:
The twins are Capricorns at the moment, under the 12 month calender aren't they?

Yes, that's correct :flowers:

The current zodiac calendar says that

22 November - 21 December = Sagittarius
22 December - 21 January = Capricorn

Sometimes you see the dates of the zodiac cusps vary by one day (depends on the astrologer maybe?) but as the prince and princess were born on January 8th they are safely in the middle of the Capricorn sign..... until further notice :lol:

No, not at all. To me it just sounds like you wish to learn more, in this case about another culture and language. And that is always a good thing. :)

The flag days?

The birthdays of all adult members of the DRF are official flag days.
On flag days all public institutions, buildings and so must fly Dannebrog in the honor of the DRF member who has a birthday.
DRF members under the age of eighteen are not of legal age and as such they cannot act as regent (actually Rigsforstander as only the Crown Prince can be Regent), so no flags are flying in their honor.
There are of course other flag days through out the year.

Ordinary citizens and private businesses are not required to fly Dannebrog on a flag day. If they do, the legislation regarding flying the flag applies.
That legislation is pretty detailed and pretty strict!
Examples:
Dannebrog must not fly before sun up, or 06.00 in the morning. And it must be lowered no later than 18.00 or when the sun goes down, whatever comes first.
No flag, not even that of other nations is allowed to fly higher than Dannebrog. - With the exceptions of embassies, which tecnically speaking are located on foreign soil.
A discarded Dannebrog must be burned on a clean fire. Basically, you fold the flag and place it on a fire, in say the garden.
Failing to do any of the above is a breach of the law.

Ah, I see. Very interesting. How many royals get this sort of treatment? Monarch + descendants + monarch's siblings, but not the siblings' kids? Just guessing here.

Yes, that's correct :flowers:

The current zodiac calendar says that

22 November - 21 December = Sagittarius
22 December - 21 January = Capricorn

Sometimes you see the dates of the zodiac cusps vary by one day (depends on the astrologer maybe?) but as the prince and princess were born on January 8th they are safely in the middle of the Capricorn sign..... until further notice :lol:
No, I'm not having any of this... I will forever be a TAURUS:whistling:. On another note, when will we get official pictures of the little ones?

I am a Taurus either way even if the signs change haha.

Hopefully we will see the official pictures tomorrow or sometime this weekend. Somehow I think that we may have to wait until Crown Princess Mary's birthday, since they may just release the pictures then.

Ah, I see. Very interesting. How many royals get this sort of treatment? Monarch + descendants + monarch's siblings, but not the siblings' kids? Just guessing here.

That's right.
The Monarch + Spouse.
Siblings of the monarch.
Children of the monarch, who are in the line of succession. (Prince/ss to Denmark). + Spouses.
Children of the crown Prince/ss.

- I'm far from certain Joachim's children will have their own flagdays when they grow up. Let alone their spouses.

That would mean eleven-twelve flagdays in twenty years time, just for the DRF. That's a lot! So I think they cut down on the numbers.
So in twenty years from now (assuming the Regent Couple is gone) we'll have.
Frederik.
Mary.
Joachim.
Marie.
Christian.
Isabella.
Elvis.
Shirley.
That would be more manageble in my opinion.

Thanks JewelintheCrown.
So the twins will remain Capricorns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom