The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiblue
I think her command of the Danish language is pretty near perfect. How she ever learnt it so quickly in the first place is beyond me. I just wonder if Christian and Isabella know both Danish and English. Thanks for the video clips - they were lovely
It would be nice if Mary speaks to the kids in English and Fred speaks to them in Danish...that's how most parents who know different languages do it and I hope that's what they're doing cause it makes more sense and makes it much easier IMO.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiblue View Post
I remember when Prince William was born, the pattern for the shawl was put in a magazine - if my memory serves me right ! Maybe we could suggest it for the twins' shawls
The Danish magazine Ude & Hjemme has a pattern for the shawl Strik selv Marys royale svøb - Artikler - Artikler - Ude og Hjemme - don't know if it really is the identical pattern or just something that resembles it. In the article they say that the pattern is from Scotland originally.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
CP Mary is a very kind person.

She is very much involved in the fight against bullying between children. A lot of schools in Denmark has been benefitting from these initiatives.

CP Mary has also initiated help to women suffering from domestic violence.
I'm a huge fan of Mary but I must agree both with you Benedikte and the posters who wrote that Mary does "not age well". In my opinion the one has to do with the other. You could read in the interviews Mary gave to Ninka (?) before the wedding that she reflects a lot about her duties and about what she wants to give back for all the Danes have given her. She is very determined, an active person who wants to achieve her aims. But in a position like hers it is impossible to achieve all that seems possble. So I think she is not relaxing enough - especially as her husband (whom I adore) is very good at relaxing - which gives Mary a lot of inner pressure to work for him as well as part of the team. Just my view on things.

I believe that Mary did not relax and recover enough after the birth of the twins, that she tried too much to cope as mother on the one hand and as a Crown Princess receiving guests on the other. I so hope she takes her time now at home to recover and to accept the help of others.

For I wish her all the best which includes that she accepts and understands that the honest wish to do all you can is enough, not the results. For I don't want to see her one day with a burn-out syndrome.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I just wonder if Christian and Isabella know both Danish and English.
IIRC then the CPC has stated that their children are learning both danish and english
Old 01-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
So I think she is not relaxing enough - especially as her husband (whom I adore) is very good at relaxing - which gives Mary a lot of inner pressure to work for him as well as part of the team. Just my view on things.

I believe that Mary did not relax and recover enough after the birth of the twins, that she tried too much to cope as mother on the one hand and as a Crown Princess receiving guests on the other. I so hope she takes her time now at home to recover and to accept the help of others.

For I wish her all the best which includes that she accepts and understands that the honest wish to do all you can is enough, not the results. For I don't want to see her one day with a burn-out syndrome.
My thoughts exactly, well said.
Her exhaustion showed when she forgo her english, her patience with the reporters was extraordinary,
Old 01-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilla View Post
Timidly,I would like to say, that IMHO CP Frederik is looking now even more handsome and characteristically beautiful than before.
Maybe it's the 'new parent glow'? lol Mothers are said to be 'all glowy' during pregnancy. Mary is certainly doing her fair share of glowing in those press photos! She looks great!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Mary dresses nice and she carries herself well, but she is beginning to look like she's hitting her 40s.

I agree with you regarding her clothing and posture. I also agree that CP Mary who will turn 40 this year, is showing her age.
Hopefully she'll enjoy her forties as much as I have enjoyed mine.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree with you regarding her clothing and posture. I also agree that CP Mary who will turn 40 this year, is showing her age.
Hopefully she'll enjoy her forties as much as I have enjoyed mine.
She turns 40 next year, i.e. 2012. She was born in 1972.

With newborn twins and 2 older children to look after, no wonder she looks exhausted. And for those who believe she looks like a woman in her late 20's/early 30's need their eyes checked!
Old 01-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Courtier

I agree, Mary does look her age. But I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Nothing wrong with being 40 and looking 40 - much better than people who look their age but are desperate to appear younger.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post
I agree, Mary does look her age. But I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Nothing wrong with being 40 and looking 40 - much better than people who look their age but are desperate to appear younger.
+1. She is aging gracefully and is confident is showing so. I wished more woman at her age would do the same.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
The Danish magazine Ude & Hjemme has a pattern for the shawl Strik selv Marys royale svøb - Artikler - Artikler - Ude og Hjemme - don't know if it really is the identical pattern or just something that resembles it. In the article they say that the pattern is from Scotland originally.
How can I translate all that into English ?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
She turns 40 next year, i.e. 2012. She was born in 1972.

With newborn twins and 2 older children to look after, no wonder she looks exhausted. And for those who believe she looks like a woman in her late 20's/early 30's need their eyes checked!

OOPs my mistake. Thank you for the correct year.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well yes, I don't know. Are you up for a crash course in Danish ?

Perhaps the pattern will be published in one of the Australian magazines? Or, since it's apparently a Scottish pattern, it could be found on a Scottish website for handicraft.
If only we knew the name of the pattern.
Must make an inquiry to the Danish court and ask!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:39 AM
Commoner

Quote:
I am using Google Chrome as my browser, and it automatically translated the instructions into English - how accurately it translated it I don't know as I'm not up on knitting "lingo"

Quote:
Shawl dimensions: 125 x 125 cm Materials: 400 grams thin wool yarn with a yardage of approx. 200 m/50 g Needles No. 4

The central part:
Cast on 3 sts on needle # 4 1. stick - YO and knit right off the stick. Repeat this stick until there are 60 loops on each side of the work. Next post - yo, knit 3 knit together, knit right stick out. Repeat this stick until there again is 3 meters back. Cast off.

Inderborten:
Collect all 60 loops from one side (there are 4 pages in total) up on the stick. Knit each side independently in this way: first stick - yo, 3 r, * (YO, K1) 6 times, 6 r *. Repeat from * to * until 9 sts remain on needle. (YO, K1) 6 times, 3 s second stick - yo, knit right stick out third and fourth stick - as second 5th peg stick - yo, 2 r (2 r tog) 3 times, * (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until 14 sts remain on needle, (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 3 times, 2 s 6th - 8 stick - as second stick 9th stick - yo, 3 r, 2 r sm, YO, K1, (k2tog) 2 times, * (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until 16 sts, (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 2 times, 1 r, yo, k2tog, 3 r 10th - 12 stick - as second 13th post stick - yo, 3 r, (YO, K1) 2 times, (k2tog) 4 times, * (YO, K1) 6 times, (2r tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until 19 sts, (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 4 times, (YO, K1) 2 times, 3 s 14th - 16 stick - as second 17th post stick - yo, 3 r, (YO, K1) 3 times, (k2tog) 5 times, * (YO 1 s) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until 22 sts, (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 5 times, (YO, K1) 3 times, 3 s 18th - 20 stick - as second peg 21st stick - yo, 3 r, (YO, K1) 4 times, (k2tog) 6 times, * (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until they are 7 sts, (YO, K1) 4 times, 3 s 22nd - 24 stick - as second 25th post stick - yo, 3 r, 2 r sm, (YO, K1) 5 times, (k2tog) 6 times, * (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until 10 sts, (YO, K1) 5 times, k2tog, 3 r 26 - 28 stick - as second 29th post stick - yo, 3 r, (2 r M) 2 times, * (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until 13 sts, (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 2 times, 3 s 30th - 32 stick - as second stick 33rd stick - yo, 3 r, yo, K1, (k2tog) 3 times, * (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until 16 sts, (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 3 times, K1, yo, 3 r 34th - 36th stick - as second 37th post stick - yo, 3 r, (YO, K1) 2 times, (k2tog) 4 times, * (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until er19 sts, (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 4 times, (YO, K1) 2 times, 3 s 38th - 40th stick - as second peg 41st stick - yo, 3 r, (YO, K1) 3 times, (k2tog) 5 times, * (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until 22 sts, (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 5 times, (YO, K1) 3 times, 3 s 42nd - 44 stick - as second 45th post stick - yo, 3 r, (YO, K1) 4 times, (k2tog) 6 times, * (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until 7 sts, (YO, K1) 4 times, 3 s 46th - 48th stick - as second 49th post stick - yo, 3 r, 2 r sm, (YO, K1) 5 times, (k2tog) 6 times, * (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until 10 sts, (YO, K1) 5 times, k2tog, 3 r 50th - 52 stick - as second stick 53rd stick - yo, 3 r, (2 r M) 2 times, * (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until 13 sts, (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 2 times, 3 s 54th - 56th stick - as second 57th post stick - yo, 3 r, yo, K1, (k2tog) 3 times, * (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 6 times *. Repeat from * to * until 16 sts, (YO, K1) 6 times, (k2tog) 3 times, K1, yo, 3 r 58th peg - 59 stick - as second 60th post stick - Worked as a second stick on the first 3 pages of the shawl.

Close NOT - but let m rest to all the inside away sections are knitted. On the fourth and last page K 60th stick in the following way - yo, knit right stick out, yo 17 new stitches in continuation of the stick, turn, 16 r, r 2 tog, turn.

Note: These 17 stitches yderborten knit over! Put the stitches from all 4 sides on one long circular needle. So are you ready to become the outermost away.

Yderborten:
The farthest away tips knit perpendicular inderborten in one continued lace around the entire shawl. Inderbortens free mesh knit with one at a time. After each inner section away you go on to the first free mesh at the next section of inderborten - and starts again. Each peak knit over the following 10 pegs: 1 stick - take 1 st right loosely, 1 r, yo, k2tog, 3 r, 2 r sm, YO, (1 r, yo, K2 tog) 2 times, yo 2 2nd r. peg - 15 r, yo, (k2tog) 2 times, turn

NOTE: In all even rows knit the last two right together one stitch from yderborten + one mask from inderborten! In this way the outer knit lace onto the carpet.

3. stick - take 1 st right loosely, 1 r, yo, k2tog, K2, k2tog, yo, 3 r, yo, k2tog, K1, yo, k2tog, turn about 2 r. 4th peg - 16 r, yo, (k2tog) 2 times, turn. 5. stick - take 1 st right loosely, 1 r, yo, k2tog, k1, k2tog, yo, 5 r, yo, k2tog, K1, yo, k2tog, turn about 2 r. 6th peg - 17 r, yo, (k2tog) 2 times, turn. 7. stick - take 1 st right loosely, 1 r, yo, k2tog, 3 r, yo, k2tog, K1, K2 tog, YO, K4, yo, k2tog, turn about 2 s 8th peg - 18 r, yo, (k2tog) 2 times, turn ninth stick - take 1 st right loosely, 1 r, yo, k2tog, K4, YO, slip 1 st loosely, k2tog, pass slipped sts over, yo, 6 r, yo, k2tog, yo, 2 r 10th stick - shut 5 sts loosely, knit 13 r, yo, (k2tog) twice, there are again 17 stitches on the needle - and the first peak is now complete. Moving on to the next. After 35 points (the last on every away section) ends 10th stick this way: Close 5 sts loosely, knit 13 r, yo, k2tog, 3 r sm. After the last section closed off all sts loosely and then sewn together with the advertised m at yderbortens beginning. The 4 corner cracks in inderborten sewn together with loose stitches witch.

Rinse the final wrap up in warm water and roll it tightly in a dry towel. Tighten it up on a mattress or the like with pins, so the shape is square. Let it dry. Ops

The recipe has been translated and adapted by Marianne Knorborg.
If anyone who understand Danish is able to tidy it up a little there are quite a few words that Google wouldn't translate.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks for that. Had a giggle at the bottom thou - it's a pattern not a recipe lol
Just found the link for the shawl - I'm +ve it is the same shawl.
http://www.markno.dk/group.asp?group=5166
Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 AM
Royal Highness

Good thinking JewelintheCrown
Mystiblue, if you try out this pattern, you have to show a picture of the result in this thread!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Aristocracy

I'm a knitter of many years UserDane - it looks to me like Princess Mary may have had another shawl knitted in the same pattern for baby no. 2.

I do note the pattern refers to knitting needles as "sticks" - haha
Old 01-18-2011, 05:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I do note the pattern refers to knitting needles as "sticks" - haha
That´s because the translation is making a literally translation. In danish they are called "strikkepinde" = "knittingsticks"
Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 AM
Commoner

Anyone to give me a quick course of knitting by the end of the week?
I am kinda outdated and this topic is so huge (so is the other one), have the names of twins been already published or not? If not, when it is expected to be told?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresita View Post
Anyone to give me a quick course of knitting by the end of the week?
I am kinda outdated and this topic is so huge (so is the other one), have the names of twins been already published or not? If not, when it is expected to be told?
No, the names haven´t been released. We will hear them at the christening in about 2-3 months