Crown Princess Mary and The Mary Foundation : 2007 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a wonderful project that gives a voice to women who need it. Kudos to Mary!

Princess Mary looks great as usual. I have a question though do Mary and Marie get along well or is their conflict, I think Mary is having a boy and a girl

Do we know why Frederik attended this event with Mary? Its great seeing him with her & supporting her at her foundation. Mary looked lovely IMO, loved that lace top.

:previous:

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I wonder if attendance at events simply boils down to who was invited in the first place. This particular event was in Arhus, I believe, so maybe Frederik went because they were out of town anyway and what else was there for him to do? In the Swedish threads, folks wonder why Daniel doesn't attend more events with Victoria. We all know that these things are booked months in advance, so again perhaps he simply wasn't invited at the time. :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #52, 2010.
Godt Nytår fra Mary - Happy New Year from Mary.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

In previous years Mary has given a speech around New Year in connection with the Mary Foundation. This year a six page new letter has been published on the homepage www.maryfonden.dk

A part of that is a Christmas and New Year greeting, which reads:
As chairman of the Mary Foundation I will do everything I can - along with our co-founders, board, secretariat and our experts and associated partners - in order to create a greater understanding and tolerance for being different. In order to create and ensure for the future possibilities for those who would like to help and to reach those who need help. Without our co-founders, experts and associates we wouldn't have gotten to where we are now. I would like to thank everyone, who in each their way contribute to the work of the Mary Foundation. And I will not least thank those who are exposed, but step forward and thell there story. So that we can better understand the difficult situations in which they are in.
Right now I'm very occupied with new and happy circumstances (*) within my family, and therefore the priority of my focus will naturally be different in the time to come. Lately I and the secreatriat of the Mary Foundation have as such concentrated our energy on planning the continued positive development of the Mary Foundation.
It's a time for wishing. A time for giving. And a time for hoping. I hope that we can all find a moment - either in thought, word or deed - to send and show warmth to those, who do not have a community. And who feel very alone. Those who stand outside and look in. No man should feel invisible. Because everyone has a right to belong.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Mary

- I read an analazys in BT the other day. And the expert there concluded that the news letter bore very much the hallmarks of a civil servant, rather than Mary. While that could be lamentable it was also a sign that Mary is becomming more and more the Crown Princess (and of the ongoing transition) where things go through the hands of civil servants. As indeed is the case with the Regent Couple.

(*) A formal expression for pregnancy is to be "I lykkelige omstændigheder = in happy circumstances".

An illuminating interview from my archive:

Translation of interview in BT, 2009-09-13.

Her er mit livs project – Here is the project of my life.
Interviewed by Marianne Singer.

He has sat face to face with women afflicted by violence, visited children in Greenlandic orphanages and held speeches for experts and professionals.

The Crown Princess has for the past two years with a lot of energy thrown herself into the struggle against bullying and she has tried to help families and youths affected by violence with among other things economic aid-programmes, information campaigns and conferences via the Mary Foundation.
Already while studying in Australia she started to get interested in the subjects and today she has a burning wish that her work will become a life-long project, which will also continue after her death.
BT has had the opportunity to ask the Crown Princess a number of questions regarding her subject that is close to her heart.

Q: What does it mean to you that the Mary Foundation is your very own project?
- “The Mary Foundation has provided me with a platform to work from – an opportunity to follow me heart in the work for and with the socially exposed groups and people in the Danish society.
It’s an exciting work. And it gives me a great satisfaction to be so involved in the areas of focus and projects, we have chosen to work with”.

Q: How much of your time are you using on your work in the Foundation?
- “As working chairman of the board I am very involved in what is going on in the Mary Foundation. It has from day one, been an exciting process, which it is still easy to spend a lot of time on. When that is said, there are many really good and competent resources present in the Mary Foundation, who all do a unique work”.

Q: How much does it affect you to have met socially exposed people so close up?
- “You can learn a lot by reading and listening. But the word that has been read or heard only becomes reality the moment you yourself face a person who has been through the situation and who can put words and images on that. That’s why it’s important for both me and the Mary Foundation, that we are in direct contact with the people we wish to help, because their experience and history is a part in increasing my knowledge of their situation – and thus the Mary Foundations ability to go in, where we believe, we can make a difference. Also from a purely human perspective I benefit from these meetings.
I still learn a lot about courage and willpower. And I learn about how important a community/togetherness is. And how much a good start and a new chance mean to us people. There are meetings that a remains with me for a long time and which suddenly pops up later in a completely different context, which I remember and draw on as a part of my experience and knowledge. (*)
The meeting with socially exposed people confirms for me that what we want to do is so important: Can we help just one child to understand that there is another way that bullying, we will have made a difference. And can we help just one fellow human being to take the bold step out of domestic violence, we will have come far”.

Q: Is it true that you have previously written a treatise about domestic violence while you were studying?
- “It’s true that I while studying wrote an analasys about a defence used in USA, which is known as “The Battered Wives Syndrome”, (**) and which was about how legitimate that defence was and what the possibilities were for reducing sentences.
It’s long ago so it’s difficult to remember in details. But what I remember most clearly is how violent the spiral of violence is, in which women afflicted by domestic violence is in – and how hard it affect the reactional and behavioural pattern of the women. (***) My personal knowledge of bullying and domestic violence, primarily stems from my work as chairman of the Mary Foundation – and from the knowledge I have gained via my patronages in Denmark and abroad”.

Q: Your foundation has for the past two years developed rapidly. Are you proud of what you have so far accomplished?
- “We have only just started. But I think we have come far. I’m very pleased and proud of what the Mary Foundation is today. We have made a difference, because the issues we have touched have been seen and has created a debate.
That is some of the essential: That we have accomplished to shed light on some problematic issues – and to put focus on people in dire straits. But what makes me the most glad and proud is to get positive feedback from those we have wished to help”.

Q: What dreams and goals do you have for the Foundation in the future?
- “My greatest wish for the Mary Foundation is that it will be a part in making an even bigger difference for people who are socially isolated and who needs the tolerance, understanding and openness of others. And as such I hope the Mary Foundation will always be an important part of my life and that it will hopefully live longer than I.
So that it can be of benefit of really many people for very many years”.

Q: Have you addressed the issue of bullying with your son, Prince Christian?
- “As a mother I am very naturally preoccupied with bullying. I cannot bear the thought that my children will be exposed to bullying (****) or bully them selves. We all have a responsibility – both as parents, teachers and pedagogues – to teach our children basic values about how to associate one another and how to build up communities. That is something, we are very attentive about in the bringing up of our children”.

Q: You have a commercial background in advertising and marketing. How can you use these experiences in your work?
- “The Mary Foundation is a big and exciting part of my day to day and work life and I try to contribute in all aspects – at work – and in board meetings and in connection with the exchange of experiences from my travels and work with my patronages – where I believe it has relevans and can create something valuable.
It’s completely natural that you use your background and all the things you have learned along the way in your life to contribute where you can. I’m very fortunate that my background in advertising provides me with an opportunity to contribute within both the strategic and marketing analytic and also within the visionary and creative fields. Just as natural is it that I draw on meetings I’ve had with interesting people and issues, when we are discussing prospects for the future and upcoming initiatives. So both my background and my work is of benefit to me in my position as chairman for the Mary Foundation”. (*****)

- Apart from her involvement in an issue that is very commendable, I’m very impressed with her mastery of Danish. She is very articulated and she speaks a beautiful Danish, with a very varied choice of words. Her meaning comes across very clearly, which of course is a great help when translating. – Remembering that she has spend less than ten years immersed in a language, which is still quite different from English.

(*) Flashbacks of faces and sentences? I know them so well.

(**) Perhaps someone can elaborate?

(***) The concept of women having their self esteem abused out of them? And/or the concept of such women finding a new partner who is also abusive?

(***) Yes, but they don’t say it, if they are being bullied, which is why it is so important that we parents are vigilant.

(*****) Including the old trick of keep repeating something, you want people to remember. In this case the name of the Mary Foundation.

Thank you for the article Muhler :flowers:

I am really glad to see her foundation is doing well.
With the CPss on maternity leave, who is in charge of things?

I know Ms Juliane Bang would probably be acting chairman on the BOT and Helle Ostergaard is involved in the running of things so do you know a little bit more about both these ladies? What their employment history is and how did the CPss come about in her decision in appointing the two ladies in their current positions? Are they friends of the CPss or is it a strictly professional relationship?

Thank you for the article Muhler :flowers:

I am really glad to see her foundation is doing well.
With the CPss on maternity leave, who is in charge of things?

I know Ms Juliane Bang would probably be acting chairman on the BOT and Helle Ostergaard is involved in the running of things so do you know a little bit more about both these ladies? What their employment history is and how did the CPss come about in her decision in appointing the two ladies in their current positions? Are they friends of the CPss or is it a strictly professional relationship?

You are welcome :)

The one in charge is Caroline Heering.
That's a natural choice. Mary's former LiW, now private secretary, who with Mary has been very engaged in the work of the foundation herself.

Juliane Bang: Her CV: Women On Board
A pretty competent lady who is a member of several boards.
Her middle/maiden name is Meulengracht, a well known name. She's from a family of distinguished academics.

Helle Østergaard: Also a pretty competent lady. She's a project manager in the Foundation

You are welcome :)

The one in charge is Caroline Heering.
That's a natural choice. Mary's former LiW, now private secretary, who with Mary has been very engaged in the work of the foundation herself.

Juliane Bang: Her CV: Women On Board
A pretty competent lady who is a member of several boards.
Her middle/maiden name is Meulengracht, a well known name. She's from a family of distinguished academics.

Helle Østergaard: Also a pretty competent lady. She's a project manager in the Foundation

Oh yes Caroline Heering. Silly me! That is a pretty impressive resume for Juliane. It seems like Mary surrounded herself with people who know what they are doing. Interesting to see she had a background of Advertising too like Mary.

Do you know what their relationship, Helle and Juliane, is with Mary? Are they friends or only associate when it's work related? I don't think it would be as close of a relationship like Mary has with Caroline though. Or I could be wrong.

Oh yes Caroline Heering. Silly me! That is a pretty impressive resume for Juliane. It seems like Mary surrounded herself with people who know what they are doing. Interesting to see she had a background of Advertising too like Mary.

Do you know what their relationship, Helle and Juliane, is with Mary? Are they friends or only associate when it's work related? I don't think it would be as close of a relationship like Mary has with Caroline though. Or I could be wrong.

I think it's more of a working relationship. I don't recall having seen their names very often.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #20, 2011.
Mary hyrer reklamebureau - Mary hires advertizing agency.
Written by the Ulrik Ulriksen.

Mary has asked the advertizing/pr agency McCann Copenhagen for help for communication and branding of her projects in the Mary Foundation.

Mary is a pro bono costumer, which means that the agency doesn't charge a fee for their work.
The manager of McCann Copenhagen, Morten Ingemann, says: "For us as an agency the Mary Foundation is an incredibly exciting parter to work with, which works professionally, dedicted and detrmined in order to alliviate social isolation. That is a purpose we would like to take a responsible part in as pro bono partners - and as human".

Several of his employees have worked with the Mary Foundation before.

An illuminating interview from my archive:

Translation of interview in BT, 2009-09-13.

Her er mit livs project – Here is the project of my life.
Interviewed by Marianne Singer.

Q: Is it true that you have previously written a treatise about domestic violence while you were studying?
- “It’s true that I while studying wrote an analasys about a defence used in USA, which is known as “The Battered Wives Syndrome”, (**) and which was about how legitimate that defence was and what the possibilities were for reducing sentences.
It’s long ago so it’s difficult to remember in details. But what I remember most clearly is how violent the spiral of violence is, in which women afflicted by domestic violence is in – and how hard it affect the reactional and behavioural pattern of the women. (***)

(**) Perhaps someone can elaborate?

(***) The concept of women having their self esteem abused out of them? And/or the concept of such women finding a new partner who is also abusive?

Hi Muhler,

I know this is a bit late (and I'm not sure if someone else already elaborated) but...
Battered Women Syndrome was in the United States, up until the mid 1990s, a type of defense used by defense counsel to excuse/acquit a women who had been beaten -- by any person regularly -- and then killed/attacked her attacker. In 1997, a federal report ultimately rejected all terminology related to the battered woman syndrome, stating that the term were ‘no longer useful or appropriate'.
Basically, that being attacked regularly and frequently had somehow made a woman violent herself (though not towards the greater public). I don't know if you've seen it, or if it was released in Denmark since it did poorly in the US, but the plot of 'Enough' starring Jennifer Lopez is a good example of this.

Cheers :flowers:

Thanks, American Dane :flowers:

Abuse or battering has at least in one case led to an aquittal here in DK within the past twenty years, that I can remember off hand. That saved the woman in question from being sentenced for committing, what you in USA call first degree murder.
Her action was instead termed selfdefence.

Hi Muhler,

I know this is a bit late (and I'm not sure if someone else already elaborated) but...
Battered Women Syndrome was in the United States, up until the mid 1990s, a type of defense used by defense counsel to excuse/acquit a women who had been beaten -- by any person regularly -- and then killed/attacked her attacker. In 1997, a federal report ultimately rejected all terminology related to the battered woman syndrome, stating that the term were ‘no longer useful or appropriate'.
Basically, that being attacked regularly and frequently had somehow made a woman violent herself (though not towards the greater public). I don't know if you've seen it, or if it was released in Denmark since it did poorly in the US, but the plot of 'Enough' starring Jennifer Lopez is a good example of this.

Cheers :flowers:

Well, Thursday has come, Billed Bladet is out and it's an exceptionally slow week.

There is really only one story. The rest are a couple of details here and there.

We have something about the family gathering at Gråsten Slot this summer, and it's hinted M&F will not travel abroad this summer.

We have a couple of details from our Marie and the Civil defence.

There is something about QMII being scenographer for the Tivoli Christmas show 2012. - Let's save that for next year.

Members of the DRF will go to the Monaco wedding. - We already know that.

And this:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #26, 2011.
Jeg er simpelthen så glad - I'm simply so happy/pleased/glad.
Written by Anna Johannesen. - Who ought to know the difference between a comment and a speech!

Mary launched the Free from Bullying campaign five years ago and an survey has shown it to have been a success.
The survej contacted a number of randomly selected kindergartens and schools in DK and 80 % manage to integrate Free from Bullying in the day to day life. 98 % of the teachers who was questioned will continue to work on this project and a similar number will recommend it.
The article does not say who performed the actual survey.

Mary commented: "I'm simply so glad/happy/pleased that the analazys of Free from Bullying confirms the importance of what we continually work towards, to prevent bullying by teaching the children from early on, to be more caring and helpful towards each other in good inclusive communities of children". (*)
She adds: "Free from Bullying consist of a suitcase with pedagogical tools, which through conversation and play work towards preventing bullying stemming from the four values: tolerance, respect, caring and courage.
- One of the marked results of the analazys, of which I take particular note is that basically all teachers will recommend the programme to others. That just motivates us to continue spreading the awareness of Free from Bullying, so that the easily appliable and efficient tools can benefit even more children in the future".

(*) This must be from a speech, rather than a comment, as the article states(!) because no one, with the exception of Sir Humphrey, talks like that.
Having said that I'll add that you have to master a language in order to give a speech with such sentences, without ending up chewing on your tounge!

- I read an article the other day hinting that Mary's Sun Campaign hadn't had that much of an impact. The sun has been going at full throttle the last couple of days and the beaches were crammed with students in particular being scolded, forgetting all about UV index, sunscreen and what not.
Well, in defence of Mary and the campaign I'd say people grilling themselves on the beach are perhaps not the best selection for such a survey. Especially as you, when you are nineteen or twenty and have just left high school, consider yourself immortal. Skincancer is someone else's problem...
Or perhaps it has something to do with Danish mentality, which was illustrated very precisely by a Scottish comedian, Tom McEwan, who has lived in DK since the 70's. In a scetch he was sitting on the summit of one of the highest hills in DK under an umbrella. The rain was pouring down, the waterlevel had almost reached his behind, and he stuck his hand out to feel the rain and said in a typical optimistic fashion: "It's probably just a drizzle". (Danes may remember this from Kaptajn Klyde).

Last edited:
September 21, 2011 - Crown Princess participates with the Mary Foundation in launching of Free from Bullying Campaign in Esbjerg town hall.

Jv.dk picture and article and the translated version click here

An article from Billed Bladet: Billed-Bladet - Børnene jublede da Mary kom til Esbjerg

Esbjerg is the fifth or sixth largest city in DK and 25 schools and 64 kindergardens are going to utillize the Free From Bullying concept.
As this took place at the townhall my guess is that the entire municipality has decided to implement the Free From Bullying concept, instead of individual schools and institutions.
This, I believe, is the first large municipality that has adopted the concept, as such it's a considerable feather in the hat for Mary.
Danish schools, including private schools, are the administrative responsibility of the local municipalities. Ultimately supervised by the Ministry of Education.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #39, 2011.
Mary gør en forskel - Mary makes a difference.
Written by Ken Richter.

As you know Mary went to Esbjerg, because the entire municipality of Esbjerg has decided to implement Free From Bullying in all the schools and kindergardens there.
That is pretty significant as Esbjerg is the sixth of fifth largest city in DK. (*)
Mary said in her speech: "Bullying is an insecure condition/or state to be in which can influence/make an imprint on a person for the rest of the life. Free from Bullying show significant results. 60 % of the pedagogues and teachers who use the concept, experince that the children become more helpful (towards each other) and more caring. That's why it's nice that we can be a part of making a difference"

Mary also met children from a local kindergarden, who had brought with them "the little blue teddy bear", which is an essential part in the concept.

(*) As you know everything is smaller in DK. I define a city as having more than 100.000 citizens. Esbjerg is around 100.000 IIRC.
By that definition we only have five or six cities in DK.

Last edited:
Thanks Muhler.

It is great to see that the Free from Bullying campaign is having positive results.
A work colleague of mine had a young fourteen year old relative take his own life, due to bullying first at school then on the net. Such unnecessary heartache.

I am proud of Mary for her involvement, if it stops one person from being bullied, it is certainly a success in my eyes.

Crown Princess Mary at the inauguration of a new project with the Mary Foundation at Danalien Kindergarten in Aalborg, October 3, 2011.
picture gallery: PPE Agency

Thanks iceflower and fairytale.

Lovely photos of Mary with the children.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #40, 2011.
Mary læser højt for sine børn - Mary reads to her children.
Written by Ken Richter.
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2011/10/Mary%20laeser%20hoejt%20for%20sine%20boern.aspx

Mary visited the kindergarten Danalien in Aalborg, where a project called ReadPlay was presented.
The aim is to help kindergarten children in getting a larger vocabulary in order to help them form being socially isolated, something which the Mary Foundation put emphasis on.
Mary said in her speech: "Reading out loud (for your children) is a moment of comfort/safety, which no one wish to let go off. It stimulates the fantasy and creates images.
By reading to children, we give them a gift for life. Words open doors - also to knowledge and wisdom.
Children understand the world better, when they also understand the words. In that way they'll easier become part of a comunity".

She said afterwards about her own children: "We read to all four of them and not only bedtime stories. It depends a lot upon what it is we are reading. It's after all not always that bedtime is the best time for reading out aloud.
My daughter, Isabella, in particular, can be very insiting. She go on about wanting to have the same story read to her again and again."

Last edited:
Billed-Bladet - Bekymret Mary: Det gør ondt at være ensom

The Mary Foundation is now going to put focus on one more social issue - loneliness.

10% of all youths lack someone to be with - a friend.
65.000 Danes above the age of 65 feel lonely.
- We are not talking about someone to be with, but someone to confide in, again, a close friend.

The Mary Foundation will therefore launch a new campaign named Loneliness, at a conference in mid November.

Marys says: "Loneliness is a big and real problem in Denmark. And it hurts to be alone. In time it becomes akward and difficult to build relations to other people. It is my hope that we can take part in breaking the tabu about loneliness and contribute with an increased knowledge and models of soultions within the field".

- It is a genuine problem for those who are lonely. Mrs. Muhler, as a part of her job, works with a number of elderly who are lonely, and she has to kick butts sometimes, quite often actually.
According to her, the problem is not solved with just bringing people together. The problem is just as much about changing the attitude of those who are/have become lonely.
Either they and their spouse sat in front of the TV every night for the past fifteen years, before goind to bed and that was their life. Then the spouse died - and now there are noone.
Or they sit and feel sorry for themselves or just as bad, grumble and complain about everything. And who wants to be with someone like that? It's a huge problem to change their attitude to being positive. But once that happen everything changes.
Or those who remain at home saying: "I'm lonely, noone is visiting me". Of course you are, noone is kicking down the door and dragging you with them. You have to go out.
- The examples I mentioned above, they are the easy ones!

It's a big area Mary is about to deal with. I applaud her for going there.

Last edited:
:previous:

Today, November 14, Crown Princess Mary has launched the new campaign "Loneliness" supported
by The Mary Foundation in Copenhagen.
** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** bt.dk: Mary: Det giver et stik i hjertet når man bliver afvist **

Thank you. Iceflower :flowers:

Let's see what she had to say:

The new focus of the Mary Foundation is loneliness, which is in line with the focus on bullying and the concept that all children should not be excluded.

She said in her speech:
"To a lot of people loneliness is not merely a passing sensation. It's a constant companion. It can have big consequences to feel alone for far too long, among other things depression stems from loneliness.
That's why loneliness is an important and fitting area to set in for the Mary Foundation. We hope, we can help show what roads and initiatives, that can lead fom loneliness and into the (social) community.
Most have experienced loneliness. Have felt how it hurts, that sting in the heart it gives, when you are rejected. The sensation of not fitting in, in the conversation or the feeling of feeling outside the (social) community".

This initiative is not only directed at children, but also youths and elderly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom