Crown Princess Mary and The Mary Foundation : 2007 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's great news. I personally prefer when the spouse can do useful things to sharpen the own profile. Just imagine what people said about Mary if she wasn't active ... it's good that the Royal House trusts her - no question QM approved this step - and gives her opportunities to put the focus on a good cause. Mary likes to be the center of attention and why always putting this in a negative light? It suits her so make the most of it and I don't see her outshining Fred as everybody knows he's the heir etc.

Countries are different and there might be reasons why other CPs don't get these chances - they would take it if only they could :rolleyes: So too bad for them and no reason to blame Mary that she does - besides, the Danes seem to like how Mary lives her role and that's the most important thing, isn't it?

i'm quite proud of mary imo she's done an amazing job in just a couple of years (just think of all the major changes in her life-the mind reels) i'm pleased to see she is finding her place of importance to the family. she came into the marriage a mature, well rounded partner. thank goodness frederik doesn't have a "ego" problem and seems quite delighted mary and their children have taken the "center stage" and they can work together for the best interest of denmark. it's healthy she has her own interest and causes (ask anyone thats worked in a family business how messy it can be) being in each others pockets never made a relationship stronger. i must say
The Mary Foundation (TMF is a most unfortunate acronym in text messaging speak)lol ;0

i must say
The Mary Foundation (TMF is a most unfortunate acronym in text messaging speak)lol ;0

Well as the official name is : The Mary Foundation – HRH Crown Princess Mary’s Foundation’ The acronyms would be TMF-HRHCPMF;)

The intentions for this fund are not precise, - the target groups, and exactly how they will be nominated are not defined, a nebulous introduction! But, that said, and from the bumf issued by the palace, the resources will be used for marginally placed people, who are there for an assortment of reasons. It would appear to be addressing the people on the periphery that the danish state spends vast amounts of money on, the very people that are covered by the danish welfare system, which accounts for the greater part of public expenditure in that country - a parallel system of sorts! The proclamation of furthering ‘tolerance of diversity’ is a conundrum, considering the climate of opinion that she represents, and volatile ground to be walking on in her position as politicaly neutral.

Last edited:
It's also costly to set up a separate foundation for each cause. The legal costs and the staffing will eat into every dollar donation that comes in. That's the reason why Warren Buffet decided to donate most of his billions to Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation rather than set up a separate foundaton in his own name.

There's no denying that ego plays a big part of it in forming a charity in your own name. It's crazy to form a "third" foundation between a couple. To say that this would enable Mary to direct the charity work to her liking is simply naive. What prevents Mary from directing the work of the foundation in the previous two foundations in her and her husband's name? Especially considering the seed money for this newest foundation isn't a lot, it's just going to cut down a lot more. This seems like another venture that Mary and Fred did that had more photo ops and press but not much real benefit to the needy.

This seems like another venture that Mary and Fred did that had more photo ops and press but not much real benefit to the needy.

An extremely premature outlook, and one which has no credibility considering the foundation has been established not even a week!

This foundation is still in it establishment phase. The projects and more specified aims will be released Spring 2008. I think the announcement was made so that it would be known to the Danish public that such a foundation is being created and so that there wouldn't be questions about where the money Mary and Frederik received as a wedding present would be going towards. To have any extreme feelings towards this foundation, whether it be negative or positive, is very premature.

Just in case some members forgot:
:alien:
PLEASE RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS AND THEIR OPINIONS EVEN IF IT DIFFERS FROM YOUR OWN.

THANKS.
THE DANISH MODS

Celebrities with a cause | Herald Sun

Part of the article:

-------------------------------------------
There is no doubt that my profile helps in my role as chairman of the Alannah and Madeline Foundation.

Combined with that is my background and knowledge in business and the experience I gained in building high-performance America's Cup teams.
In addition, we have ambassadors and patrons who are a really important part of the work.

Our two patrons are Prime Minister John Howard and Princess Mary of Denmark, and they are clear examples of how celebrity can benefit an organisation. Walter Mikac is our founding patron.

The Prime Minister was first involved as a result of Port Arthur.
In his office, he has been of great assistance to the development of the foundation over the years.

I first met Princess Mary in the pre-wedding celebrations in Denmark, sailing in the so-called Royal Yacht Race. She was my guest tactician. She became intrigued with the Alannah and Madeline Foundation so I asked her to onsider becoming our International Patron.

After several months of due diligence by the Palace and her, she accepted the position. The royal palace doesn't make such important decisions rapidly. As one palace official said to me, the royal family has been in existence for 1000 years, we have been in existence for 10!

Mary has an amazing high profile in Australia. She is held in a similar sense of intrigue to that of Princess Diana. She regularly contributes, for example, to the launch of our annual updates which we send out to our thousands of supporters across Australia. Her input to the foundation has been absolutely superb.

She's a very intelligent woman. She told me that as a royal family member she felt she could make significant contributions in key strategic areas within the community.

The areas she has chosen are children and the environment.

Last week, I received a communique from the palace to say that the princess has launched her own foundation in Denmark.

It is called the Mary Foundation, and it's all about helping children. Earlier this year the Princess launched a modified version of the Alannah and Madeline Foundation's Better Buddies anti-bullying program into 30 Danish schools under the umbrella of Save the Children Denmark.

So Princess Mary is using her position to make a very significant difference for many children both in Denmark and Australia.

That's why in my opinion it's the responsibility for people with high profiles to involve themselves in just causes. They have the leverage to make things happen.
-------------------------------------------------------

I think you first have to be into something, you have to have a desire to help certain people and than establish a foundation for this issue. Here it seems to be the other way round: first have a foundation and then we will see what we are into???
And than there is this name: The Mary foundation....
{edited for content- Empress}
To Establish a foundation without having an idea what this foundation will be about is causing a bit of confusion. I guess Mary and her PR people choose this early point to promote the foundation although all is very vague because of the recent negative press about Mary spending to much money and having no clear charity profile.
It a possibility to communicate the message: Look I am doing charity. Probably it would have been to late to promote this in 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't narcism but a tradition. As I pointed out earlier lots of royals, also those who werent born as a royal, get a foundation named after them or start one themselves. The reason is rather obvious as the publicity and the name will get more people to be aware of the problem and donate money.

I don't think the Danish court has spindoctors etc. like Tony Blair had, so the most logical assumption would be that Mary is simply interested in the cause and wants to use her energies to promote it. It is rather normal for royals to be involved with charity, so this isn't Mary or PR people at the Danish court inventing something new to promote Mary. AFAIK Mary doesn't need more promotion as the Danes clearly appreciate here, as all polls show.

Recently there has been a lot of critical press regarding Mary and Frederiks overspending their apanages which come from Danish tax payers. The combination of overspending and focusing on fashion and posh holidays throughout the summer caused a lot of confusion in Denmark. Which is okay from my point of view. The Royal House is of course important to Denmark, Dansih people, their identity etc. Nevertheless it should be possible to critizise unappropriate behaviour.
The idea of a foundation is of course a good one. But the visions and issues that will be part of this project are totally unclear. No one knows what Mary is really interested in or has a passion for. And this foundation still gives no answers to that. A clear profile , a true vision , a hands-on attitude would help.

I find it very curious and almost egoistic to establish a foundation named after only her, not her and her husband. Without her husband, who would have known Mary Donaldson? Most couples would have a foundation together such as Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation. Most royals either have a foundation named after the couple or the title of the born royal. Not even Diana had a foundation named after only her. Did any other royal consort have foundation named after only the consort?

Mary is completely overshadowing Fred in a way I've not seen among other royal couples. It's almost like she's the future monarch and he's the consort. They've only married for three years. I wonder how this will play out in the next 10 or 20 years.

See what you're saying but the thought process behind this one probably is:

- Fred already has a couple of things named after him
- Mary has proven to be a marketing asset to this RF in more ways than one. They're probably thinking, Why not leverage that?

Santacruz: "Recently there has been a lot of critical press regarding Mary and Frederiks overspending their apanages which come from Danish tax payers. The combination of overspending and focusing on fashion and posh holidays throughout the summer caused a lot of confusion in Denmark"

Please provide sources for your claim that there is 'confusion' in Denmark about their summer holidays. I am sure that I - and my fellow Danes would like to know what we are so confused about

Overspending their apanage? Sounds too daft to be taken seriously.

I must now command you not to overspend your salary. See, sounds incredibly silly doesn't it?

But the visions and issues that will be part of this project are totally unclear. No one knows what Mary is really interested in or has a passion for. And this foundation still gives no answers to that.
Isn't one of the areas the foundation intends to focus on, anti-bullying? That would be your answer right there. Mary's interested in children's wellbeing. Cliche of course, a princess and children, but with a real focus, and a welcome and needed one, if I may say so. Bullying is a real problem among kids and can be extremely detrimental to the mental health of the individuals on the receiving end of the bullying. Good thing Mary's into this because there's a lot of work to be done in that arena. I commend her for taking this one on.

Recently there has been a lot of critical press regarding Mary and Frederiks overspending their apanages which come from Danish tax payers. The combination of overspending and focusing on fashion and posh holidays throughout the summer caused a lot of confusion in Denmark. Which is okay from my point of view. The Royal House is of course important to Denmark, Dansih people, their identity etc. Nevertheless it should be possible to critizise unappropriate behaviour.
The idea of a foundation is of course a good one. But the visions and issues that will be part of this project are totally unclear. No one knows what Mary is really interested in or has a passion for. And this foundation still gives no answers to that. A clear profile , a true vision , a hands-on attitude would help.
I can see where your opinion comes from. Gala.
I would advice you not to take everything seriously what is written in German media. Most of it is totally misinforming. Especially since they seem to overweigh the importance/creditability of EB and Se&Hoer (and even those haven't been very critical recently). Every country has it's share of print media which tries to sell by producing "scandals".

Actually, there is no confusion in DK.
Frederik&Mary overspent their apanage in the first year only.
And I think the Danish people have a very good idea what Mary is interested in and which organisations she is supporting.

You completely missed my points. One, I didn't question why her title isn't on there. I'm questioning why Fred's name isn't on the foundation title. Mary has name recognition among Danes and Aussies because of her marriage (BTW, this board has a very small audience in the big scheme of things.) Without Fred, no one would have known her. And it could be argued that it's more egoistic to have only her name on the foundation. As if everyone should know who the heck Mary is. (Most people outside of Denmark and Australia would think it's the Virgin Mary.) Princess Grace was a well known actress. She was much better known than her husband before marriage. BTW, she overshadowed her husband completely and that marriage wasn't the fairy tale it seemed.

Last, I didn't question whether their marriage will survive. I only wonder how her dominance so young into their marriage will do to their marriage. We all know how Diana-Charles' marriage turned out. Grace's marriage wasn't that happy in the later years.

highpriestess

Frederik's name is not on the title of the foundation, because it is called the Mary foundation. I can't see your base line from my end of the court, did that land in???
Secondly, some people on this forum I have read, say that the target, or aim of the foundation, being diversity, is too ambitious and is doomed to failure.
One thing Mary has in her favour, is that she was born in a country which has, along with the US and probably Britain, one of the most diverse populations on the planet.
Tolerance did not come easy to us "WASPs" and at times we required a little bludgeoning but apart from some Aboriginal issues, any group which is not assimilated into the community, is more than likely a group who chooses not to.
Mary knows more about diversity than Fred because she has lived in a racially and religiously tolerant society. She did it living with the masses, without the trappings of the rich and famous, just an average Aussie woman......
Hey look!! I have just responded to your statement that "Mary was not famous until she met Frederik". Of course she wasn't famous. Are we as commoners???
Diversity, is not just for minority groups. Women in Australia, as they would be in the majority of western civilizations , are a lot more aggressive about getting what they want, and shouldn't it be so???? Women were second class citizens for a long time.

If someone is to be successful in making inroads into Denmark being a more racially and religiously tolerant community, it will not happen with a timid foundation head. It does not follow though, that Mary can promote diversity outwardly and be dominant at home and it certainly doesn't follow that she would ignore protocol and act any differently than any other partner of someone intended for the throne.

Give her a little credit please?? P.S. Oh yes and comparing Mary with the virgin Mary is not being religiously tolerant at all. It's called Diversity if you are not familiar with the term. Any Roman catholics on the board may be greatly offended by your reference and rightly so.

Demolay

Last edited:
I love seeing Mary at events with small children. She comes across in the photos as being very natural and at ease with them. She looks like she genuinely enjoys meeting them rather than having to. :flowers:

Those are very sweet pictures. Love seeing Mary around children. Tha painting canvas looked really pretty & colorful also liked the picture of her with the children enjoying a laugh on the floor. thanks paty.

a few more lovely anp pictures
pic 1 -- pic 2 -- pic 3 -- pic 4 -- pic 5 -- pic 6 -- pic 7

Last edited:
Beatiful photo's. But i could not notice that Crown Princess Mary was not acompanied by her new lady in waiting, but by Caroline.

try holding the ctrl button down when you click the photo link, i have to do that with some photos :) good luck
i love marys coat today and nice to see caroline again.

Very beautiful pictures!
As said before I also enjoy Mary during events that deal with children!
She looks more relaxed then and doesn't pose that much.
I love the pics of Princess Mary walking hand in hand with this little kids.

I've been away for a week or so and it's nice to come back and see some pics of the CPS. She looks very nice and seems at ease with the children. (Her face looks a little fuller to me) I wonder why her old L-I-W was with her when she is supposed to be her personal secretary now? Does she fill in or alternate with the other lady who is supposed to be her current L-I-W?

She seems to be very happy when children are around. It's a good trait ina princess, and most in a Crownprincess. She laso has a beatiful smile.

Vanesa.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom