Crown Princess Mary and The Mary Foundation : 2007 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many Thanks to Roskilde for your post of 741 and to you Muhler for your post of 745. Taking the time to write all that is much appreciated.
Cheers T.

Indeed a very interesting accessory, but I wonder what it is made from? could it be ivory from walrus tusks or polar bear teeth?:whistling:

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I assume the pendants were most likely made from the same as most tupilaqs are made of these days: reindeer antlers or bones. It's Greenlandic/Inuit culture – just because it isn't your culture, doesn't mean it's something to :whistling: about ;)

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I assume the pendants were most likely made from the same as most tupilaqs are made of these days: reindeer antlers or bones. It's Greenlandic/Inuit culture – just because it isn't your culture, doesn't mean it's something to :whistling: about ;)

pardon: a cultural error as I had thought:whistling:meant wondering as I whistle!Thank you for the information:flowers:

Ready for a beautiful picture taken by Mary herself? :)

Last night Frederik and Mary held a dinner for the Mary Foundation and they have shared this picture on their Instragram Profile:

"The Banqueting Hall provided the setting when the Crown Prince Couple last night held a dinner for the Mary Foundation Presidium."

Photo: H.R.H The Crown Princess"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKDSrPjgCoI/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

I really enjoy that Mary so often take the pictures herself instead of using a prof photographer. It's a nice and personally touch :)

Ready for a beautiful picture taken by Mary herself? :)

Last night Frederik and Mary held a dinner for the Mary Foundation and they have shared this picture on their Instragram Profile:

I really enjoy that Mary so often take the pictures herself instead of using a prof photographer. It's a nice and personally touch :)

beautiful table setting. Nice that we got some info, most times they have these dinners or meetings and its not even included in the calendar.
Next time Mary, sit Frederik next to the table, it would make the picture even more beautiful ;)

polyesco said:
Next time Mary, sit Frederik next to the table, it would make the picture even more beautiful ;)

Thank you, polyesco - I needed a smile today. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very impressive (the landscape - not the sound of the video ;-))!

Quite interesting also to see various royal houses now experimenting with homemade videos on social media. In 10 years we'll be nodding ours heads when we look back at it I'm sure, just like the royal websites from circa 2000...

beautiful table setting. Nice that we got some info, most times they have these dinners or meetings and its not even included in the calendar.

Yes, a bit frustrating isn't it? But maybe a picture will pop up later...

A beautiful video from Mary :flowers:

Thanks Muhler.

It's so lovely Mary so often is behind the camera herself. It gives such a personal touch!

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #36, 2016.
By our reporter in Greenland, Marianne Singer.

You'll find the scans here: https://app.box.com/s/5mtuk91b9lku2o8l2dzenn5tgkx38oak

This is the second part of Mary's visit to Nuuk in Greenland, to attend a conference about social issues and promoting the Greenlandic version of Free From Bullying, Kammagiitta.

Domestic abuse and general social issues is a very real and serious issue in Greenland. Mainly due to alcoholism.
And that was indeed the topic of the conference Mary attended.
- Basically such a conference and as such the topic, would have got much less attention, even in Greenland, had Mary not been there.

Mary was received at the conference by fourteen year old Michelle and a project leader, Najaaraq Møller. (*)

Mary said about being in Greenland to our reporter: "Greenland has gotten a special place in my heart.
The first time I was in Greenland was with my husband, the Queen and the Prince back in 2004. Then one (**) was overwhelmed by the beautiful nature and of course the open and warm reception one got. I came as a part of the family, who have always had a big place in the hearts of the Greenlanders.
but over time I have build up my own relationship to Greenland and my own network with co-operating partners of the Mary Foundation. And we are in the process of a very important work here. It's a great joy for me to see that we in the Mary Foundation can contribute with important topics here in Greenland in order to improve the situation for women and children".

Mary gave the opening speech at the conference, saying: "It's decisive that we address the violence because that makes it more real. It's getting closer. It looks us in the eyes, so that we cannot ignore it. It can be frightening, because what must one do and what can one do - but it's necessary. Only when we face the difficulty and acknowledge it, can we begin to do something about it. And it delights me - and probably all of you as well - that there has come more focus on violence and iot's consequences here in Greenland.
More and more break the silence (domestic and social issues are a big taboo in Greenland) and find the courage to stand out and address the violence".

Mary met two at the conference who has suffered from abuse and had a chat with them.
A women who had been living in an abusive relationship for 27 years and a man who had been subjected to physical abuse since he was six years old.
Mary said afterwards: "It's incredible brave of them to stand up and tell their harsh stories. That they are willing to stand up in a hall full of people who occupy themselves with the topic of violence in the home is incredible strong and shows a big surplus of mind. I think we are all grateful for them being willing to stand up, so that be can get a better understanding for what it means to be in a abusive relationship, what it does to one and that there is hope".

And no, there is no info in the article about the brooch Mary is seen wearing.

(*) In Greenland it's very common with a Greenlandic first name combined with a Danish surname.

(**) Where you in English would use "you" in such a sentence, "one" is way more common in Danish. Which is probably why it is noted when Mary occasionally use the more "posh" one, when speaking about herself in English. - For simplicity I usually translate with you, but not this time.

And as predicted Mary has come under attack from PETA Australia for wearing sealskin during her recent visit to Greenland: Princess Mary is slammed by PETA Australia for wearing a seal skin coat | Daily Mail Online

Sigh!

Some animal activists, PETA in particular live IMO in an alternative world. Often far away from real nature and they have an unrealistic glorified, perhaps disneyfied is a better expression, of animals and wildlife.

So lets put a few things right:

Seals are not clubbed in Greenland - they are shot.

Baby-seals are not used, only adult seals are killed, eaten and their fur used.

For obvious reasons Greenland isn't geared to normal farm animals, like cows, pigs, sheep even poultry is a problem, so that sort of meat is also expensive in Greenland since it very much has to be imported. So the main source of protein is from fish and seal.

Sealskin is a major export and as such essential for the economy.

Even though tourists do come to see seals, they are far to few to make an economic alternative to hunting seal.

Seal hunting is an integral part of Greenlandic culture. They've been doing it since the first Inuit arrived there some 1.000 years ago.

Seal-blubber is the main diet for dogs in Greenland. Dogs in Greenland work, few are pets.

Seals are very efficient hunters! Since the number of polar bears are going down, the only ones left to keep their numbers down are humans.
When the seal population goes up they vacuum the fjords for fish, before venturing out along the coast (where the killer whales are waiting). That means nature cull the seals in a very brutal and effective way: starvation and disease. The young, weak and old die first.

But you don't see PETA showing starving animals due to there being a surplus of animals. Because Mother Nature is totally ruthless and unsentimental.
No, they seem to believe that if all animals are allowed to live, they will automatically live a happy carefree life... And when the time comes they will graciously allow themselves to be eaten by a polar bear because that's part of The Pact of Nature as described in Lion King.
Bull dust! If seals could vote they no doubt vote yes to this question: Should all killer whales and polar bears be exterminated?

Naturally animals and wildlife should be protected and groomed but there is no reason to fanatical about it.

The seals who owned the skin Mary is seen wearing are dead. They tasted great and the dogs liked their blubber, so why not use their skin as well?

PETA is an extremist organisation who doesn't believe in the exploitation of animals for any reason whatsoever. They are even against using wool shorn from sheep. If they had their way, the much reduced world population would be living in caves subsisting on berries. I agree wholeheartedly with your common sense views, Muhler.

By the way, here we say PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Meat - or should!

Oops! People Eating Tasty Animals, I meant to say!

:previous:

Thanks a lot Iceflower :flowers:

Nice video!

Mary is one enthusiastic, smiling and involved hard working Crown Princess! She may be hugely popular and respected, but she should have a lot more credit for her working load.
'Netwerk' is one of the Mary Foundation's offers to young people - a network of young study people to reduce loneliness (which unfortunately is a huge problem!).

Mary and the Mary Foundation's visit today shows Mary's involvement - it was a visit to see and hear with their own own how their project works in practice. And the students tells enthusiastically how Mary Foundation's project makes a difference. Mary is a clever woman and don't let her dupe - in the video you can hear Mary ask: "And, do you teachers also thinks it makes a difference? Or is there something we can do so it will be even better?"

In the video we see Mary is too low to be in the group game :D She hardly can see anything behind all those tall young people :lol: The game was about everyone was asked: "Are you to rock or pop" or "sugar or sugar-free" and so one should jump to the side they chose.

ADDED:
I see DR is with Mary and Mary Foundation, so that's means their event will be covered in the main tv-news at DR tonight, I guess.

Two good videos from BB and Roskilde Technic School:

https://www.facebook.com/roskildetekniskeskole/videos/1119272298151544/

VIDEO: Kronprinsesse Mary blev modtaget som superstjerne | BILLED-BLADET

VIDEO: Kronprinsesse Mary deltog i sjov øvelse | BILLED-BLADET

((Attention, shallow comment! ;)) Mary's face has aged quite a bit these past 2 years I think. Maybe a different hairdo would give her a softer image?

In the BB video we learn that Mary prefer dogs rather than cats, coffee rather than tea and rock music rather than pop music. (Well, Mary isn't Frederik's wife for nothing ;) It's rock all the way :cool:)

Feature from DR's tv-news tonight about Mary's and the Mary Foundation's visit today:
https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/tv-avisen-med-sporten/tv-avisen-med-sporten-2016-10-05#!/11:41

Thanks Polyesco,

I see even the cool young men with tattoos couldn't resist a selfie with our crown princess :p
http://sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cache/54/868954_930_9300_0_18_1575_1088_2.jpg

HQ pictures from the DRF's official Facebook page:

"More than eight percent of the students in Denmark feels lonely.
Today, HRH Crown Princess visited Roskilde Technical School where the Mary Foundation and the voluntary social organization, Ventilen, are behind the project 'Netwek' who wish to fight the loneliness among Danish students."

https://www.facebook.com/detdanskekongehus/posts/359246297747291

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=5ab2cac856ae197663b32a8c4bd0d1cb&oe=5869D2DD

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=08cb54293b3f46a78ee5822faab36c5d&oe=5875B584

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=8ff241a1cf0c308f5c591e618238f793&oe=586416E3

"Hi Crown Princess Mary. Thank you for the help. I and my little brother are happy. Best regards" ❤

https://www.facebook.com/maryfonden...105584289489492/?type=3&hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

The Mary Foundation once in a while share some of all those card they receive from the children they help.

From their Facebook:

"Such a 'guldkort' (a precious card) in the Mary Foundation's mailbox we must share with you. We just received this beautiful postcard from two of the over 2,000 children every year in shelters with their mother in Denmark, Greenland and the Faroe Islands. All the children receive a backpack including toiletries, a teddy bear and school supplies as well as a postcard with a greeting from the Crown Princess and an invitation to send a greeting or drawing return.

The Backpacks is handed out in close cooperation with Ole Kirk's Fund and LOKK - Land Organization of Women's Crisis Centre. Read more: www.maryfonden.dk/da/rygsække"

This morning, Crown Princess Mary opens the SFI Conference "Education and vulnerability" with the Mary Foundation,

"During the SFI-conference, researchers and professionals from both education and the social area discuss how educational institutions can accommodate young people with social challenges and how we best prepare young people to do well in the educational system."

First pictures:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cwpwb3FXUAEhs1N.jpg

ADDED:

And very fast an article and picture from Billed-Bladet:

Kronprinsesse Mary kom med sneen | BILLED-BLADET
"Crown Princess Mary arrived with the snow"

The pictures shows CP Mary arriving in company with Director of the Mary Foundation, Helle Østergaard in the snow - it's the first snow in Denmark this year :flowers:

Billed-bladet reports that an enthusiastic Crown Princess Mary spoke about the Mary Foundation's work at the social conference, "Education and vulnerability" in the DGI-Byen in Copenhagen.

SFI, the Social Research Institute had invited Crown Princess Mary in her capacity as President of the Mary Foundation.

Great picture from DGI - today we had the pleasure to have HRH CP Mary on visit
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMhIql_DSSD/

Very nice pictures from Daily Mail article:
Princess Mary appears to show off shorter hair at conference in Copenhagen | Daily Mail Online

Large gallery from Bernard Rübsamen:
Crown Princess Mary attends SFI Conference "Education and vulnerability" with Mary Foundation - Images | Bernard Rübsamen

Today, Crown Princess Mary holds the conference "Loving Discussion" together with the Mary Foundation :flowers:

"Kærlig Talt"-konference med Mary Fonden | Kongehuset

The "Loving Discussion" conference "Respect on the schedule" is for teachers and about how to focus on relationships, conflict management and communication in school.

Crown Princess Mary will hold the speech and then visit a number of stations where the conference's participants will conduct exercises. Crown Princess Mary will attend the exercises and have the opportunity to talk to the participants. The stations deals with various themes, including aggressive, passive and respectful communication and dating violence.

"Loving Discussion" is a course for students in Denmark's schools. The ambition is to develop young people's abilities to handle difficult emotions so they can better maintain secure relationships to each other, and so they later in life aren't subjected to dating violence or other forms of violent relationships.

"Loving Discussion" is the Mary Foundation's own project.

And that is what makes Mary to such a respected Crown Princess. She does not just meet up... she creates her own projects.

:previous:
A first and lovely picture of Mary holding the speech and conference today :)

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...20_8354223518996635051_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

https://m.facebook.com/maryfonden/p...0594147871/1143460005701920/?type=3&source=54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom