Crown Princess Mary and The Mary Foundation : 2007 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure which thread this should go in.

As expected in the wake of the notice that Christian and Isabella will both be at Herlufsholm next year, Mary's visit to Haslev Idrætsefterskole with the Mary Foundation's social well-being project Me&We was marred by the question of her personal association with Herlufsholm. The fact that journalists were questioning her wasn't really unexpected. They asked Frederik the same questions at Royal Run. (And got a snappy answer in return :rolleyes:). A few things stand out about the palaver surrounding this engagement though:

I agree this should be moved to the Herlufsholm thread.

Got a couple of PMs about the criticism M&F has got over this. Couldn't answer until now - work you know...

Anyway, there are two aspects in this.
But first. Yes, there has been some criticism in some parts of the press (not so sure how big this issue is in the eyes of the general public though.) that it's hypocritical of M&F to have Christian and Isabella attending Herlufsholm and that it is now developing into the largest crisis M&F, perhaps in particular Mary, has had so far. (Again, I'm not entirely sure it's that big a crisis.)

And now for the two aspects.
The cynic in me cannot help thinking that some parts of the combined Danish Worldpress (yes, that's derogatory) is miffed that M&F can't be bothered to answer their questions and preferably submit to a critical interview - preferably by said journalists.
The angling doesn't impress me in the least either: It's a typical one: You find experts and "people on the streets" who agree with the angling the media wish to present and publish that as documentation that this is a crisis for M&F.
I don't think any of the journalists would dare answer critical questions here on TRF - even if they read this challenge.
They wouldn't stand a chance.
- So as I see it, it's a story that is being blown up.

However, The DRF has been criticized by other members here on TRF for being bad at damage control. - That sure is very obvious here!
And it was even more obvious yesterday with Mary. Mary who is otherwise very good at handling the press, basically ran away. And you don't run away from the press, it's like running away from a predator.

I think it could be handled by being as simple and direct as possible: We have chosen to keep Christian at Herlufshom, because the school is actually actively trying to do something about the issues regarding bullying etc. So we are going to give the school a chance to prove that the culture can and will be changed.
And we are not going to pull out children out of schools, where they thrive and are among friends, each time there may be an issue. The schooling of our children is too important for that.
- In other words: Forget about the journalists, focus on the public.

Unfortunately M&F have placed themselves in a situation where they are now forced to issue an in depth statement, and preferably yesterday.

It's a rookie mistake any competent PR manager should have seen coming and prepared for in advance.

Last edited:
I agree this should be moved to the Herlufsholm thread.

Got a couple of PMs about the criticism M&F has got over this. Couldn't answer until now - work you know...

Anyway, there are two aspects in this.
But first. Yes, there has been some criticism in some parts of the press (not so sure how big this issue is in the eyes of the general public though.) that it's hypocritical of M&F to have Christian and Isabella attending Herlufsholm and that it is now developing into the largest crisis M&F, perhaps in particular Mary, has had so far. (Again, I'm not entirely sure it's that big a crisis.)

And now for the two aspects.
The cynic in me cannot help thinking that some parts of the combined Danish Worldpress (yes, that's derogatory) is miffed that M&F can't be bothered to answer their questions and preferably submit to a critical interview - preferably by said journalists.
The angling doesn't impress me in the least either: It's a typical one: You find experts and "people on the streets" who agree with the angling the media wish to present and publish that as documentation that this is a crisis for M&F.
I don't think any of the journalists would dare answer critical questions here on TRF - even if they read this challenge.
They wouldn't stand a chance.
- So as I see it, it's a story that is being blown up.

However, The DRF has been criticized by other members here on TRF for being bad at damage control. - That sure is very obvious here!
And it was even more obvious yesterday with Mary. Mary who is otherwise very good at handling the press, basically ran away. And you don't run away from the press, it's like running away from a predator.

I think it could be handled by being as simple and direct as possible: We have chosen to keep Christian at Herlufshom, because the school is actually actively trying to do something about the issues regarding bullying etc. So we are going to give the school a chance to prove that the culture can and will be changed.
And we are not going to pull out children out of schools, where they thrive and are among friends, each time there may be an issue. The schooling of our children is too important for that.
- In other words: Forget about the journalists, focus on the public.

Unfortunately M&F have placed themselves in a situation where they are now forced to issue an in depth statement, and preferably yesterday.

It's a rookie mistake any competent PR manager should have seen coming and prepared for in advance.

Thank you Muhler for the analysis! Personally, I have never been impressed with Lene B. Maybe she's been there too long and has not adjusted to how things are done NOW as opposed to how they were handled 20 years ago! I think anyone worth their PR job would have gotten in front of this better than Lene has and better advised M&F.

And ah yes...it is easy to "prove your point" when you only ask/listen to/quote people that agree with you and amplify that point! It is a case of "selective outrage" if that makes sense. If you search hard enough you can always find "analysts", "experts" that agree with you, especially if your objective is to throw dirt on your subject matter. And btw, you will always find teens that roll their eyes at adults feeling like they are being preached to...heck, maybe they are engaging in the behavior the Mary Foundation's program is aimed at so they don't like it. Just throwing that other angle out there given that there is always more than one side to everything! It is never a good idea to just look at a situation from one angle or the prism of one's own projection/opinion.

Also, there may be details of investigations, changes, administrative reviews, etc., that the public at large or these so-called "analyst", "experts", "arm-chair commentator" and even royal followers do not know at this point. Just another thought to ponder over as well.

And is SEogHer (Or whatever the name is) - is that an actual legitimate news outlet? Or is it more like our American Enquirer (a rag tabloid) that will write about celebrities actually being aliens, etc looking for the latest click bait scandal?!

Last edited:
Thank you Muhler for the analysis! Personally, I have never been impressed with Lene B. Maybe she's been there too long and has not adjusted to how things are done NOW as opposed to how they were handled 20 years ago! I think anyone worth their PR job would have gotten in front of this better than Lene has and better advised M&F.

And ah yes...it is easy to "prove your point" when you only ask/listen to/quote people that agree with you and amplify that point! It is a case of "selective outrage" if that makes sense. If you search hard enough you can always find "analysts", "experts" that agree with you, especially if you objective is to throw dirt on your subject matter. And btw, you will always find teens that roll their eyes at adults feeling like they are being preached to...heck, maybe their are engaging in the behavior the Mary Foundation's program is aimed at so they don't like it. Just throwing that other angle out there given that there is always more than one side to everything! It is never a good idea to just look at a situation from one angle or the prism of one's own projection/opinion.

Also, there may be details of investigations, changes, administrative reviews, etc., that the public at large or these so-called "analyst", "experts", "arm-chair commentator" and even royal followers do not know at this point. Just another thought to ponder over as well.

And is SEogHer (Or whatever the name is) - is that an actual legitimate news outlet? Or is it more like our American Enquirer (a rag tabloid) that will write about celebrities actually being aliens, etc looking for the latest click bait scandal?!

Se & Hør is a gossip magazine.
And even though they on occasion get a story right, by and large it's a magazine one should read with all critical filters on.
BB is also a gossip magazine, with the difference that they always tend to cover the persons they write about in a positive manner. They are rarely critical of the DRF - that is something one should always have in the back of the mind when reading anything from BB.
BB does however have one major advantage that other magazines don't use that much: They rely a lot on transcripts. That means lots of firsthand or at least named quotes. There are very few "sources" in BB. And almost never about the DRF.

And ah yes...it is easy to "prove your point" when you only ask/listen to/quote people that agree with you and amplify that point! It is a case of "selective outrage" if that makes sense. If you search hard enough you can always find "analysts", "experts" that agree with you, especially if your objective is to throw dirt on your subject matter. And btw, you will always find teens that roll their eyes at adults feeling like they are being preached to...heck, maybe they are engaging in the behavior the Mary Foundation's program is aimed at so they don't like it. Just throwing that other angle out there given that there is always more than one side to everything! It is never a good idea to just look at a situation from one angle or the prism of one's own projection/opinion.

For the journalist "experts" such as Jacob Heinel Jensen, this is absolutely true. But as someone who has taken lectures with lots of the historians who are routinely asked on matters surrounding the DRF, I think it's deeply unfair to accuse them of such biases. The same goes for the (many) students that were asked in the wake of Mary's visit to Haslev – they were all very respectful of Mary's work with the foundation but genuinely confused as to why she would then green light Herlufsholm by sending her children there (their words, paraphrased).

There is a such thing as selective outrage but at this point, I think it takes a lot of naivety not to recognise that broadly this is not a case of that. Confirmation bias goes both ways.

Se og Hør is a rag (and one that is scarcely linked to on here for the same reason). But Se og Hør is far from the only outlet digging at this. DR, the Danish equivalent to the BBC, have been as well. TV2, the other main network, was the ones who produced the documentary who set all this in motion and they too have been critical of the DRF and their lack of comments. So it's a misrepresentation to speak of this as a matter of sensationalist journalism.

Last edited:
Last edited:
From 23 to 25 August, the Crown Princess Mary and the Mary Foundation will travel to Greenland on a two-day visit to participate in a number of events and meetings, primarily within the Crown Princess's work as chairman of the Mary Foundation.

She also attends events as patron of 'Children, Youth and Grief', as President of WWF Denmark and visits UNICEF Denmark in Greenland.

All three protections are unfortunately very relevant in Greenland.

The number of children suffering various forms of abuse - including sexual - as well as witnessing domestic violence and having to seek refuge in a shelter, typically with their mother is very high indeed in Greenland.
Because alcoholism is a very serious problem in Greenland. - To the point where there has been calls in The Danish Parliament to take control and thus override the Greenland autonomy.

The climate changes are obviously very relevant for Greenland, presenting a whole range of challenges, problems, but also opportunities.

Suicide or simply premature death from alcoholism is also a relevant topic, so many Greenlandic children and young lose a parent, a sibling or another close relative prematurely.

Summary of article and interview in Billed Bladet #35, 2022.
By Marianne Singer.

This was the first visit to Greenland by Mary since 2016, where she was called Ukuarput by the locals when she visited with Frederik when they were newly married. Ukuarput meaning "our Daughter-in-law."

Mary during the visit addressed the issue of working on grief, which is not something that is talked openly about in Greenland.
That despite the fact that 20 % of all deaths in Greenland are from non-natural causes, with suicide alone constituting 10 %. Other causes are accidents and murder. (The murder rate is higher than in DK because the population in Greenland is a little more than 1 % of than population in DK. - As a matter of fact it's actually even higher, as these "non-natural causes" are almost exclusively among ethnic Greenlander,s as Danes and others working and living in Greenland can always return home either permanently or on extended leave. At lot of the causes are also directly contributed to alcoholism.) Yet, the issues those left behind have, not least children and young tends to simply being swept under the carpet and not talked about. - Basically how it was not that many years ago in DK as well.

Mary visited the capital of Nuuk and the language was a challenge when she met children, because they spoke enthusiastically in a mix of Greenlandic and Danish. And Danish spoken with a Greenlandic accent is not always that easy to understand. - But they managed. Not least when visiting the "fritidshjem" (a kind of after school activity place, but not related to the school, where children can stay until it's time to go home for dinner - or also come in the evening.) Aqqaluk. here she with fifteen children went to the beach to collect garbage floating in - Greenland is also having problems with garbage floating on the ocean currents and ending up on their shores. And as on cue the weather turned North Atlantic! Rainy and stormy. The temperature was already 5 degrees C (the same as your fridge) when she arrived.
Oh well, Mary and the children soldiered on, while talking about preserving nature. Mary was wearing a cap, borrowed by Frederik (and now commandeered by Mary, something most married men are familiar with...) a shawl made from moscus-wool around her neck and a rain-cape from Mackage. (See scans.)

Mary visited the activity center, Mælkebøtten = The dandelion, that also doubles as a crisis center four children. (There are serious social issues in Greenland, and sometimes children go to such a center to sleep, get a meal or just get away from home where mum and dad are fighting, drunk or simply not there.) M&F have followed this center since their first visit back in 2004 and it was Mary's first visit there since 2009. The aim of the place is to break the social pattern. Said brutally: To avoid the children ending up as losers on the bottom of the society just like their parents.

The exclusive interview with Mary by BB took place outside.
It has been a very intense and short visit, covering a wide range of fields, from grief, to social issues and preserving nature to innovative solutions to current problems in Greenland.

Mary first visited Greenland in 2004 and was taken by the stunning nature and friendly locals (they tend to be hardcore royalists in Greenland!) and of course Frederik's love and enthusiasm for the country has rubbed off as well.
Their children were also fond of visiting Greenland and while there are no specific plans, it may not be that long before the family comes visiting again.

And here are some scans, you may feast your eyes upon:
https://app.box.com/s/7sq3gr0bxmw5xoh9h5uziny3ri3ywf4g

The Mary Foundation shared a photo of Mary during the latest of the foundation's weekly meetings a couple of days ago. They prepared the agenda for 2023, discussed the Community Survey and the annual Christmas card:

** instagram post **

Crown Princess Mary attended the launch of the "Community Survey II" with the Mary Foundation and the Tryg Foundation in Copenhagen today, December 2, and shared a message on her way to the event:

How are the communities in Denmark doing? This is a big and important question. Communities are the glue of our society. And the feeling of being part of the community is absolutely important for each of us. I'm on my way to the Mary Foundation and the Relief Fund's launch of Community Survey II, and the results are troubling on many counts. More people feel lonely, more struggle with well-being, and more people say they lack trust in other people. I hope we can start a conversation about how we can change this trend. This is about all of us. And it will take some of all of us to change that. "H.K.H. The Crown Princess

** instagram post **

And at the launch itself:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** anp gallery ** instagram gallery ** instagram gallery 2 **

** BB video:Efter bekymrende oplysninger: Kronprinsesse Mary deler personlige ord **

Last edited:
The Mary Fonden has released Crown Princess Mary's Christmas message and the end-of-year review:

The Christmas holidays are a good opportunity for each of us to let others into our communities.

Because we get together on many occasions during this time, and at different places. But even if we gather, it is not certain that everyone feels that they are included. Because it is possible to be with others and at the same time feel lonely.

Therefore, we do not necessarily fight loneliness because we gather. We fight loneliness when we gather in safe and open communities that are based on the trust and care we all need.

Community is worth more than any Christmas present that money can buy. And it is a gift we all have the opportunity to give.

Thank you to all of you who face Christmas with openness towards the people around you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

** instagram post ** maryfonden: Året, der gik 2022 ** translation **

A new initiative, launched by the Mary Foundation, a number of municipalities and #CrownPrincessMary today, will try to curb the loneliness among young people.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...nprinsesse-mary-de-skal-findes-og-have-hjaelp

I see 2023 is starting off with a bang for the continuity of notincluding events on the official calendar for Mary. No wonder the bean counter blogs always have these inaccurate #s for engagements/days of "work" for Mary (and Frederik). Not only did Mary attend the launch of "LIft"...she also gave a speech at the event. Is The Mary Foundation not considered part of Mary's official duties/responsibilities?

Sounds like The Mary Foundation is off to the races already in 2023 with a new initiative launching in just the first days of the year.

Thank goodness at least The Mary Foundation is on top of things. Maybe they should handled Mary's (and Frederik's) calendar in general.

Yesterday, February 2, Crown Princess Mary attended the last introductory teaching day for nurses in Glostrup Municipality, who will work with the project "Together without violence" addressed at parents with little children.

Mary is quoted saying "As health nurses, you have unique access to families, and with your help, fewer children will grow up in families with intimate partner violence".

** instagram video **

February 2nd

Mary attended the final introductory training session of nurses participating in The Mary Foundation's latest initiative Together Without Violence, Parents with children. She gave a short speech seen in the video link and spoke to the participants.

The Mary Foundation Page also posted:

https://content.invisioncic.com/r38...book.jpg.596b49f39aca3d997ef22fe069c69698.jpg
https://content.invisioncic.com/r38...book.jpg.12d7aa181d8cdf289b74e6f550b60208.jpg
https://content.invisioncic.com/r38...book.jpg.af88dd7769785874a0e7a576a76f4613.jpg

https://content.invisioncic.com/r38...8910.jpg.267283a81f526aab56390c4bb0c315c1.jpg
https://content.invisioncic.com/r38...6394.jpg.6806bd72d8076152d8653e061d0966b8.jpg
https://content.invisioncic.com/r38...3423.jpg.6aa4f66d4e7afbb2ee99e7d93396e8f6.jpg

You'd think this would be on her calendar or does the DRF not think this is something worthwhile to highlight. ����. I mean is The Mary Foundation work no longer considered part of her work events? This should most certainly have been on the official calendar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely great work by Mary and her foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom