Crown Princess Mary and The Mary Foundation : 2007 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree. It's not as if they don't share anything. The "CP Couple Culture Prize" (which actually consists of a culture and a humanitarian prize) was founded 3 years ago, now Mary has a foundation of her own as well.
And Frederik has 2 foundations of his own: D.K.H. Kronprinsparret - Fonde

Frederik may have less publicity than Mary but IMO that goes for all cp couples. The focus is on the women, whether they show initiative and independence or whether they are just accessories.
And when it comes to popularity Frederik does not need the help of Mary, he is just as popular as she. There was a poll this year - superwomen and supermen of DK - and Frederik was on top of the men just as Mary was on top of the women.

The Danes have one of the highest percentage of working women in Europe, Danish women are quite independent and IMO this is reflected in the way how Mary presents herself. She has her own foundation and she has her own new years reception, with the approval of the court, I'm sure.
This is IMO what is expected of her, the Danes would not be content with an "accessory"-cp.

I agree, and I don't quite understand the fuss about the name of Princess Mary's charity fund. She initiated it, she's one of the chairwomen and Prince Frederik is not on board - it's as simple as as that. The only thing I would have added is 'Princess' because just 'Mary' might suggest some religious connection.
A job like this is exactly what I expect the wife of a Crown Prince to do these days. I am glad that Mary rather follows the example of Maxima by creating a role and duties of her own, using the privileged position she has to do some good work independantly and in her own name. I can't help to compare her situation to Princess Letizia's who might be immensely suited to take on a higher profile and either chooses not to do so or is advised to stay away from it. There are working, independant women in Spain too, times have changed. Hats off to CP Mary, I'd say.

I am impressed with the way that the Danes and Mary have continually developed her role as future consort. She appears to be very hands on in her official duties and does not hesitate to get involved in any of the activities. I still smile when I think of her and the trampoline. Bravo Mary!

The only thing I would have added is 'Princess' because just 'Mary' might suggest some religious connection.

Given that the primary area in which the foundation will work is Denmark, and in Danish the mother of Jesus is called Maria, I don't see the problem. When someone says Mary in Denmark, people think of the Crown Princess.

I find it very curious and almost egoistic to establish a foundation named after only her, not her and her husband. Without her husband, who would have known Mary Donaldson?

Without Frederik no one would know Mary Donaldson, that's the reason she didn't create this Fundation when she was single :) Now she is very famous and beloved and I think Denmark is very proud to have such pretty and smart lady who stands up for Tolerance and Social Development. I wish her the Best.

Mary is completely overshadowing Fred in a way I've not seen among other royal couples. It's almost like she's the future monarch and he's the consort. They've only married for three years. I wonder how this will play out in the next 10 or 20 years.

To be honest I think she is not overshadowing Frederik. I think she is just doing her job with style and savoir-faire. I think there are others crown princesses who enjoy a lot to overshadow their husbands but that doesn't happen with Mary (imo). If Portugal was a monarchy I would prefer to have a Princess like Mary who can go alone to any event, who talk in public with confidence and professionalism than a princess who does nothing except smiling and waving. But that's me. :)

Oh, I forgot to say: I love Mary's dress!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don´t see what all the fuss is about, it is obviously a wonderfull initiative, one to which many will make a donation I hope.

Over the last decades centruries there were MANY people who married into (other) royal families and who gave their name to a foundation, thus gaining more publicity and more money for the cause.

Some examples:

- Prince Bernhard culture foundation
- Queen Emma foundation against tuberculosis
- Queen Fabiola foundation (mentally handicapped)
- Foundation Queen Paola (protection of children)
- Princess Mathilde foundation (weak social groups in society)

I am sure there are others in other countries.

And if it is Mary who is a patron of the foundation, it would be a bit senseless to include Frederiks name too, when he is not involved.

--

Now about modestmess of not including a title... that depends on the perspective you are judginbg it from. Wasn´t it the epithomy of arrogance when King Phillip II of Spain signed his decrees with ´Yo´ (I), or the Duke and Duchess of Orleans who were simply known as ´Monsieur´ and ´Madame´ ;).
Just a joke people, don´t call for my blood immediately please.

Quite well I'm guessing ;)
The objective of The Mary Foundation is ‘to improve the lives of children, adults and families who as the result of their environment, heredity, illness or other circumstances find themselves socially isolated or excluded. The Foundation aims to fulfil its objective by creating opportunities for these individuals and giving them a sense of affiliation and of belonging to a community. The Foundation furthermore undertakes to encourage tolerance of diversity and the revival of hope.’

As to the first part, yes, as to the second, it will be an utter failure due to the excesses of multiculturalism and political correctness. Just pick up a Danish newspaper if you need further proof.

Love the dress.

As to the other discussion, since it is the "Mary Fund" is she using her own (or rather Frederik's) money or are taxes covering the cost?

Money was donated by corporations and a gift by the people on their wedding for this purpose. It will be funded through donations.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this day and age meant to be all about women's independence and all that? She doesn't have to do something only cos Frederik is involved, I am sure Mary is independant enough to do some ventures on her own. Which is what she is displaying here with this Mary Foundation

Please, you're preaching to a feminist here. :rolleyes: I'll agree that Mary should use her name if she puts up HER OWN money to do good deeds. That's not the case here, is it? She's using her position as the crown princess of Denmark to raise funds in order to do good deeds. The donors are not donating money because of Mary Donaldson. They're donating money because of her title and her marriage to Fred. She's by no means an independent, self-made woman. It's like Donald Trump's wife starts a charity with only her name.

Last edited:
I think Mary has established a very promising foundation in her name. I'm guessing she wanted to start this project and use her influence as Crown Princess to help others. Hopefully she'll be very active with the foundation and not just in name. Yes, she wouldn't be the Crown Princess of Denmark without Frederik but Frederik isn't involved with this project. I don't think the name of the foundation is truly that important, as long as it's not inappropriate.

Some examples:

- Prince Bernhard culture foundation
- Queen Emma foundation against tuberculosis
- Queen Fabiola foundation (mentally handicapped)
- Foundation Queen Paola (protection of children)
- Princess Mathilde foundation (weak social groups in society)

And the commonality among all these examples you gave is: The title is part of the name. They got to have their own foundation because of their position.

Last edited:
Please, you're preaching to a feminist here. :rolleyes: I'll agree that Mary should use her name if she puts up HER OWN money to do good deeds. That's not the case here, is it? She's using her position as the crown princess of Denmark to raise funds in order to do good deeds. The donors are not donating money because of Mary Donaldson. They're donating money because of her title and her marriage to Fred. She's by no means an independent, self-made woman. It's like Donald Trump's wife starts a charity with only her name.

Fact is, Mary is known to the public, regardless of how she became known. She is known and people recognise her name.
Since when do royals use their own money to do anything anyway? I dont think this whole name thing matters at the end of the day does it? I think it is pretty irrelevant to anything important. Maybe she should just close the foundation and let people accuse her of not doing much or just being fashion oriented. I mean she is doomed either way.

Last edited:
Would this be a problem if it were a different princess or do we object simply because it's Mary? I'm asking an honest question.

I think it is a bit of a petty arguement myself...it is called the Mary Foundation because it will be serving an interest and cause close to Mary's heart...just like Fred's foundation is serving the needs of scientific research related to the artic oceans (correct me if I wrong...just what I gathered from a previous post...Mary is interested in people and Fred is interested in the ocean (I actually joked to myself that Fred's fund might help retired sailors...an ulterior motive you could say, when he himself retires ;) )...and their joint foundation is related to arts and culture, probably a cause they are BOTH passionate about...

And I am certain that if this new foundation, dealing with social issues, etc had been called the "Mary and Frederik foundation" people would have been up in arms and said...why is she riding on her husband's coattails, Frederik is not even a board member, can't Mary stand on her own two feet and just establish a foundation in her own name????

She is doomed if she does and doomed if she doesn't...I personally think it is a good move...spreads the love :)

It must be noted that although she is a royal by way of marriage only, it does not curtail her function as a worthy patron or indeed co-founder of any charitable service :)

I don't see the problem with Mary starting her own foundation, Yes shes married well and would still be just be plain old Mary Donaldson if she hadn't but shes got the postition so why not use it to do some good.

And the commonality among all these examples you gave is: The title is part of the name. They got to have their own foundation because of their position.

Is that what bothers you? Fret no longer - Mary's title is actually part of the original name TRH The Crown Prince Couple - HRH The Crown Princess of Denmark establishes The Mary Foundation - which says '‘The Mary Foundation – HRH Crown Princess Mary’s Foundation’ – or also known as the Mary Foundation'.

If those active in the work of the foundation have decided to use a shorter and easier name it must be their decision I would say.

highpriestess, first of all, the initial capital for this foundation was DKK 1.1m - collected from citizens in Greenland and Danmark and given to the bridal couple Frederik and Mary; now, Mary was part of that bridal couple was she not?

You seem to argue that it is wrong for her to use her position as the crown princess of Denmark to raise funds in order to do good deeds - which argument defies any logic when we are talking about royals! Of course she is - what did you expect? What is any royal doing when he or she accepts a patronage - or agrees to open an art event - or anything that might attract media attention? They are using their position as a XXX to do good deeds!
Do you think for example that the Danish Girls' Choir have countess Alexandra as a patron because Alexandra Christina Manley of Hong Kong was such a fascinating person they simply had to enlist her?? Of course not.

If your argument that it is not right for a royal to use his or her position to do good deeds was valid, the outlook is bleak for a lot of institutions, foundations and charities in all the monarchies who benefit from having a royal attracting attention to their cause.

i love the dress and i think this is one of her favourites dress.

highpriestess, first of all, the initial capital for this foundation was DKK 1.1m - collected from citizens in Greenland and Danmark and given to the bridal couple Frederik and Mary; now, Mary was part of that bridal couple was she not?

You seem to argue that it is wrong for her to use her position as the crown princess of Denmark to raise funds in order to do good deeds -

Re-read my post. You're either intentionally tweaking my words or you need to read more carefully.

I said Mary can put her name all over the place if she uses her own money to fund the foundation. It's odd to use ONLY her name while she's using her position to attract donors for the foundation. Where did I object to royals using their position to raise funds for charity causes?

You said the money came from wedding gifts for Fred and Mary. If that's the case, it's even stranger to use only Mary's name. It's a gift for both of them, isn't it? And Danes gave them the gift because of their position. They would not have given to plain Mary Donaldson.

Highpriestess, maybe you should move on and get over it...what's done is done, it is called the Mary Foundation whether you like it or not...and as for the source of the funds, from Mary and Frederik's wedding gifts, well it is HER money too, what's yours is mine and what's mine is yours...that is a sign of a modern progressive happy partnership, which I think Mary and Frederik's marriage is...

Sounds like like clutching at straws while drinking sour grapes ;)

I said Mary can put her name all over the place if she uses her own money to fund the foundation

A somewhat illogical proposal, considering all royals who ascribe their names to a foundation don't use 'their' money, but that of the state which confers a disposable stipend, or, fiscal contributions from external company's who wish to be involved financially. So, the raison d'être you believe appropriate would ultimately mean that any royal who's name bears pride of place within any charitable organisation has no right to infact assign their name.

You seem to be stuck on the former Mary Donaldson's anonymity and I don't see what that at all has to do with this organisation or the fact that she is now the Crown Princess of Denmark. Infact, it has no bearing at all given she is HRH The Crown Princess.

Re-read my post. You're either intentionally tweaking my words or you need to read more carefully.

I said Mary can put her name all over the place if she uses her own money to fund the foundation. It's odd to use ONLY her name while she's using her position to attract donors for the foundation. Where did I object to royals using their position to raise funds for charity causes?

You said the money came from wedding gifts for Fred and Mary. If that's the case, it's even stranger to use only Mary's name. It's a gift for both of them, isn't it? And Danes gave them the gift because of their position. They would not have given to plain Mary Donaldson.
I am neither tweaking your words or need to read more carefully; I made a direct answer to points you have raised.
But I concur with Xeara and Madame Royale; I think you are on a really strange mission here - objecting that Mary uses her position to attract donors for a foundation - while in the same breath claiming that you do not object to royals using their position to raise funds for charity causes. There is no sense in arguing that what is OK for other royals to do is not OK for Mary :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, this begs the question. Should Royals only marry mulitmillionaires or whose parents can foot the bills? Mary was doing quite well as a single woman. So she wasn't making millions? There are not too many people rich or otherwise who use their own money to set up foundations, with the exception of Bill and Melinda Gates. It is standard to get corporate donations. As for the wedding gift, I'm sure Fred was happy to let her have it. They don't keep score on money. Besides, they made a large donation to Greenland I believe from Rock and Royal, which was to a cause close to Fred's heart.

Well, in reading all the posts, here's my two cents. She could be sitting on her royal bottom and just show up for the meet and greets and the walk abouts. From what I have seen, she has picked some key issues that are very problematic in today's society among children. At this point if she had never married a royal she could have still started her own foundation but we will never know. Yes it is easier to raise money when you have a title. The point of the foundation is what it does, not what it's called. As a woman of a certain age who has had to combat the glass ceiling, I find her interesting. She has found ways to be herself yet maintain an image that defines her position. Let's see how her foundation does over the next few years before we tear her apart. JMO

It will be interesting to see how the foundation will work out. Does anyone know how they will find these people who are excluded? Will it be something that people apply for or have their names put up for? Or how does the process work?

It will be interesting to see how the foundation will work out. Does anyone know how they will find these people who are excluded? Will it be something that people apply for or have their names put up for? Or how does the process work?

Yes, and once they are found what exactly will Mary and staff do for them to get them "included"?

Ah, I can see from the statutes/press release that this will go through organizations and that people can't apply directly to the foundation for grants. I'll look forward to seeing how it will work, at any rate. :flowers:

I am neither tweaking your words or need to read more carefully; I made a direct answer to points you have raised.
But I concur with Xeara and Madame Royale; I think you are on a really strange mission here - objecting that Mary uses her position to attract donors for a foundation - while in the same breath claiming that you do not object to royals using their position to raise funds for charity causes. There is no sense in arguing that what is OK for other royals to do is not OK for Mary :rolleyes:

You've proven you couldn't understand my point. I'm not going to waste my breath explaining for the third time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom