Crown Princess Mary and The Mary Foundation : 2007 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Muhler! A short part of that speech can be found in the following video:

** nyhederne.tv2.dk: Kronprinsesse Mary begynder den svære samtale **

Here's an additional gallery from sn.dk and some extra pics:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 **

A gallery from TV2:

** GALLERI: Kronprinsesse Mary kæmper mod ensomhed **

And one that combines Mary's event with the one Princess Marie attended today:

** Princesse Mary et sa douceur, princesse Marie et sa mini-grossesse, même combat **

** ppe gallery ** jv.dk gallery **

Last edited:
Thank you Muhler, and iceflower for providing the articles and pictures that dealt with today's event.

The issue of loneliness is something I feel strongly about, especially when it comes to children/people with special needs. I've seen too many kids and adults slip into severe depression because they were rejected by their peers, and what's worse, not given social skills that would allow them to hold a conversation, etc. I realize now how important it is to have those skills that most take for granted, and I hope that Mary and her foundation will provide tools that will help those who are struggling with socializing and befriending.

Excerpts from article in sn.dk Mary: - Jeg følte mig meget ensom - De Kongelige

Where Mary talks about loneliness.
Mary: Jeg følte mig meget ensom - Mary: I felt very lonely.

"There are many possible reasons for feeling lonely. Sudden life-crisises is one of them: Perhaps you have moved to new place. Perhaps you have been sacked. It can be illness within the family or that you have lost a parent. That's how it was for me, when I lost my mother. I felt very lonely with my grief during the period afterwards. A feeling of going around without interacting with anyone. As if the world went on and I stood still".

That so many young suffer from loneliness came as a surprise for Mary:
"When we in the Mary Foundation for the first time questioned our Young Think Tank about loneliness, we were surprised over the result. The analazys showed a tough/sinister picture: Many young feel lonely. Youths don't talk about their loneliness and more than one in three young believe their loneliness is their own fault. The young experienced it as embarrassing that they had no friends. It was obvious that additional knowledge, dialogue and debate about the subject was needed. Those who are lonely must know that there are many in the same situation".

Mary ended her speech by saying:
"We must be more attentive about those who are lonely. We must reach out - we must help find solutions.
We all have a responsibillity in looking after each other, just as we have a responsibillity for accepting helping hands. And there is fortunately help to be had - the first step on the way is to talk to someone about it".

Last edited:
Thank you for that Muhler. I have to say that Crown Princess Mary is tackling a very worthwhile cause. I nodded my head as I read most of that post. Her description of loneliness was obviously from the heart. I sincerely hope Mary can spread the word and save many Danes from the terrible feelings that lonliness brings.

Billed Bladet #46 is out and this week we have the following treats:

Our Marie and the National Association for Autism. Apparantly someone very close to Marie has autism.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...arities-and-patronages-28040.html#post1338248

The ballet for UNICEF, attended by QMII and Countess Alexandra.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...arities-and-patronages-22375.html#post1338254

We learn that the Regent Couple has become homeless or rather palace-less after the damage as a result of the cloudburst this summer.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f231/amalienborg-palace-copenhagen-19002.html#post1338263

We have a few details about M&F visiting Sydney.

The Q&A this week are
The Remembrance poppy.
Why didn't Mary wear a uniform at the 50th anniversary of the Home Guard?
Was Princess Diana ever in DK? - Yes, once. In 1995.

We follow Mary at the naming of the new frigate, with special emphasis on her clothing and shoes.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...rt-10-september-2010-a-28753.html#post1338267

There is an interview with Joachim and his Marie, who are both very talkative. The fair Marie in particular is smitten by Japan.

QMII has written a preface for the Artrisis Association, which will turn 75 soon.

Roger Moore praise M&F for their effort for UNICEF and East Africa.

And this:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #46, 2011.
Jeg følte mig meget ensom - I felt very lonely.
Written by Anna Johannesen.

By now you know what Mary spoke about in connection with the emphasis on loneliness, the new initiative launched by the Mary Foundation.

Mary also said in her speech:
"Loneliness hurts. It gives it a little sting in the heart to be rejected or to experience to be outside the (social) community. We all have a basic need for being seen/noticed and acknowledged. We need a partner/buddy, who keeps an eye on us and look after us.
It should not be embarrassing or akward to be lonely. Its hard enough as it is.
We need to speak out loud about loneliness".

Mary told our reporter afterwards about how she dealt with her own feelings after the death of her mother:
"Time helped me, but it's a bit hard to describe. I naturally sought help from family and friends and got it, so that's why my loneliness wasn't a long term state of affairs or evolved into chronical loneliness. It was a hard time in my life, but I moved on.
My familiy meant a lot but I lived somewhere else, away from them, when I lost my mother, so I felt very alone with my grief, which will be there for the rest of my life. Because that's how it is when you lose someone you cared for and who was so close to you".

Mary was still struggeling with the last stages of her cold, when she met representatives for the organisation the Valve.
The Valve has fourteen places all over DK, where young between 15 and 25 can meet and deal with their loneliness.
The Mary Foundation has started a cooperation with the Valve.
One of those she met was ten year old Victor who has lost his father. Victor now has an adult friend, the 38 year old Martin. And that has had a clear affect on Victor, who has become more cheerful.
Victor explains: "Martin comes visiting two or three times a week. It only takes him seven minuttes to ride a bicycle out to me".
Victor hope that other children will have an adult friend "when they become really sad".

Last edited:
Finally something new.

The newspaper Jyllands Posten writes about the workshop organised by the Mary Foundation. Alle vil i workshop med kronprinsesse Mary

As you know, Mary will open the conference in New York about women suffering from domestic abuse.
The Mary Foundation has a workshop afterwards about providing economic help for such women, so that they can move on. (Often such women will lose everything, if they leave their husband/partner, as everything is in his name and because they are the ones leaving).
That workshop is the most sought after among the participants in the conference.
The manager of the Mary Foundation, Helle Østergaard, explains: "The organisers of the conference has send out an inquiery to all the participants about which workshops they would like to attend. And they have now reported back to us that our workshop is the one that is most in demand".

There are around 100 workshops from more than 90 countries at this conference.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seein CP Mary in DC this week for her foundation activities.

Thank you Muhler, and Florencia for information and first pictures. I'm glad Mary is working with such worthy causes. Her foundation appears to have helped so many.

Thank you Muhler, and Florencia for information and first pictures. I'm glad Mary is working with such worthy causes. Her foundation appears to have helped so many.

It most definitely is a worthy cause. Didn't it start as an anti bullying group and then grew to include the domestic violence part?

It most definitely is a worthy cause. Didn't it start as an anti bullying group and then grew to include the domestic violence part?

I think it started with the two areas “bullying and wellbeing” and “domestic violence”

Last edited:
Crown Princess Mary's speech at the opening of the conference:
Mary Fonden

Princess Mary attends a workshop at The Mary Foundation, a charity foundation established by the Princess, Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2012, at the second World Conference of Women's Shelters at the Gaylord Hotel in National Harbor
Pics: MYROYALS: PR

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary Fonden

Wonderful speech. I particularly enjoyed the poem by Marta Tikkanen which I had never read before.
The Mary Foundation deals with very complex and difficult situations; I'm glad Princess Mary chose that particular issue and appears to be devoted to it.

Mary Fonden

Thanks, Florencia :flowers:

The poem appears to have become some sort of (very suitable) signature for the domestic abuse part of the Mary Foundation, as it isn't the first time Mary has used it.

Apart from that Billed Bladet's woman in Washington, Anna Johannesen reports that Mary has now returned to DK and that she was accompanied by Caroline Heering.
The two of them went out to have a look at Washington together, when the official part was over.

I think she traveled only with Caroline Heering. She still works for Mary and always attends at the events connected with Mary Foundation.

agami.pearl said:
I think she traveled only with Caroline Heering. She still works for Mary and always attends at the events connected with Mary Foundation.

I think Caroline is member of the Board?

That's right, Jessrulz :)

Summary of a note in Billed Bladet #17, 2012.
Mary til Grønland - Mary to Greenland.

The Australian anti-bullying concept, introduced in Denmark by Mary was introduced in Greenland in 2009 and now Mary will go to Greenland to see what has benn the outcome.
As mentioned above the visit will take place in early June.

In Greenland the anti bullying project is called Kammagiitta.
Mary will visit a kindergarten in Saqqaq and a school in Illulissat.
She will also meet representatives for the municipalities Kanukoka and Naalakkersuisut, where the programme was first started.

Unfortunately social issues involving children is a huge problem in Greenland, in that context the little suitcases handed out to children, containing various toys and teaching and stimulating material have been a major success. - They are in particular handed out a family crisis centres.

One of the things Mary as patron of the Mary Foundation has focused on is violence and abuse within a relationship. In particular violence between teenagers.
Who being inexperienced sometimes don't know for sure what is acceptable and who to talk to about such issues.

This article from DR1 is about the result of a survey by the State Institute for Public Health. DIN MENING: Er det blevet mindre pinligt at snakke om vold? - dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland

Full translation:
Your opinion: Has it become less embarassing to talk about abuse/violence?
Written by Christine Hyldal.

For the past five years the number of 16-24 year old women who have been subjected to violence from a partner has dropped markedly from 10.5 % to 6.5 % within the past five years.
That's what new figures from the State Instutute for Public Helth shows.
The researcher behind the survey believe that the drop is the result of us no longer being afraid to talk about violence among sweethearts. In other words, it's no longer such a big taboo as it used to be.
(What follows is an encouragement to comment).

- As you can tell Mary and the Mary Foundation isn't mentioned, however it was about four or five years ago, Mary put focus on this issue, so perhaps in a small way the effort lead to something?

An article about the survey itself: Forsker: Åbenhed er skyld i færre tilfælde af kærestevold - dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland
The researcher, Karin Helweg-Larsen concludes that openness about the issue is the determining facor in the drop of abuse within relationships among youths.

3.000 youths took part in this survey and Karin Helweg-Larsen explains: "I think it's the major focus there has been on that youths should no longer put up with sweetheart-abuse, that has had an effect. This is a very vulnerable period in their lives, where they have to learn what a good relationship between sweethearts is.
There has become much more openess on physical abuse. Previously it was perhaps a loss of prestige, if you were subjected to violence. Now you know that it is something others are subjected to as well".

3.000 youths between 16 and 24 took part in this survey. Of those 6.5 % said thay had been subjected to physical, psycological or sexual abuse by a boyfriend.

In 2007 a similar survey showed that 10.5 % had been subjected to abuse.

That's right, Jessrulz :)

Summary of a note in Billed Bladet #17, 2012.
Mary til Grønland - Mary to Greenland.

The Australian anti-bullying concept, introduced in Denmark by Mary was introduced in Greenland in 2009 and now Mary will go to Greenland to see what has benn the outcome.
As mentioned above the visit will take place in early June.

In Greenland the anti bullying project is called Kammagiitta.
Mary will visit a kindergarten in Saqqaq and a school in Illulissat.
She will also meet representatives for the municipalities Kanukoka and Naalakkersuisut, where the programme was first started.

Unfortunately social issues involving children is a huge problem in Greenland, in that context the little suitcases handed out to children, containing various toys and teaching and stimulating material have been a major success. - They are in particular handed out a family crisis centres.

I'm so glad to see that bullying is receiving the attention it deserves. As a teacher for children with special needs (and a person who has a disability), I have seen first hand what harm bullying can inflict. It's lovely to see that Mary is passionate about this issue and is brining attention to it through her foundation. Thank you, as always, for your translation.

One of the things Mary as patron of the Mary Foundation has focused on is violence and abuse within a relationship. In particular violence between teenagers.
Who being inexperienced sometimes don't know for sure what is acceptable and who to talk to about such issues.

This article from DR1 is about the result of a survey by the State Institute for Public Health. DIN MENING: Er det blevet mindre pinligt at snakke om vold? - dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland

Full translation:
Your opinion: Has it become less embarassing to talk about abuse/violence?
Written by Christine Hyldal.

For the past five years the number of 16-24 year old women who have been subjected to violence from a partner has dropped markedly from 10.5 % to 6.5 % within the past five years.
That's what new figures from the State Instutute for Public Helth shows.
The researcher behind the survey believe that the drop is the result of us no longer being afraid to talk about violence among sweethearts. In other words, it's no longer such a big taboo as it used to be.
(What follows is an encouragement to comment).

- As you can tell Mary and the Mary Foundation isn't mentioned, however it was about four or five years ago, Mary put focus on this issue, so perhaps in a small way the effort lead to something?

An article about the survey itself: Forsker: Åbenhed er skyld i færre tilfælde af kærestevold - dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland
The researcher, Karin Helweg-Larsen concludes that openness about the issue is the determining facor in the drop of abuse within relationships among youths.

3.000 youths took part in this survey and Karin Helweg-Larsen explains: "I think it's the major focus there has been on that youths should no longer put up with sweetheart-abuse, that has had an effect. This is a very vulnerable period in their lives, where they have to learn what a good relationship between sweethearts is.
There has become much more openess on physical abuse. Previously it was perhaps a loss of prestige, if you were subjected to violence. Now you know that it is something others are subjected to as well".

3.000 youths between 16 and 24 took part in this survey. Of those 6.5 % said thay had been subjected to physical, psycological or sexual abuse by a boyfriend.

In 2007 a similar survey showed that 10.5 % had been subjected to abuse.

This is another area that deserves attention. Though today views about violence in relationships are different than they were several decades back, it's still something that is quite serious. Many young people (women and men) have no idea what a healthy romantic relationship should be for various reasons, such as lack of a good model at home, and they may see something that's dysfunctional as normal and acceptable. Again, I'm glad that Mary's foundation is focusing on this.

Last edited:
You are welcome, Daria S.

And you are right.

It's pretty horrifying in this day and age to learn about a twelve year old girl, who believe that "real men" beat you up.
This example is from another article about domestic abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom