Crown Princess Mary and the Danish Home Guard: 2008 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the daily chuckle, Iceflower. :lol:

While the writer of the article at least has done some effort, it is clear that she has no clue about military matters. There are a number of basic mistakes.
Some of them are due to Google translate I think.

Had a look at the DRF calendar. Looks like Mary is close to being promoted to captain in the Home Guard.

She is attending a course next week in order to prepare her her skills for a promotion to captain.

Interesting! You normally have to be a career officer in order to be a captain (company commander) in the Home Guard. And a basic requirement is to have graduated from the officers academy. - Mary hasn't.
But of course as Crown Princess, Mary is special and as far as I know she has rarely if ever played an active role on a platoon or company level in the company she formally belongs to. She is de facto lieutenant a la suite in the Home Guard. I.e. without a command. So I guess an exception is made for her.

I wonder if she will climb further up the career ladder in the Home Guard? Still without having a formal command of course. (She would hardly be qualified for that in real life.)
The next step after captain would be major, but the requires a basic staff officers training.
I guess she can get a crash course in that as well - she could ask her brother-in-law to prepare her. ;)

PH, in his capacity as Prince Consort (and in Danish context that meant he held the same rank as QMII, except in regards to Constitutional issues) was made a full general and admiral - and he didn't have a formal officers education behind him either, even though he was a trained soldier who had seen active duty in Algeria. So why not Mary?
The reason was of course the traditional close affiliation between the DRF and the military, almost dictating that PH had to if not have a military role, then at least wear uniforms. Beforehand that was no problem, because since PH was the first Prince Consort in Danish history, the queen consorts before him just maintained a civilian role.
But today things are more blurred. Women can and do, and are indeed encouraged to, join the armed forces. So it's only natural that female members of the DRF play some sort of role within the Total Defense as well.
With Mary of course being the highest ranking (in the future) she will have to play a role that in some way is equivalent to the role PH played.

That is interesting in relation to the late Prince's allusions to the differences in treatment of female and male consorts. Apparently the military role of consorts is moving towards more gender-neutral treatment - does that imply that the Crown Princess is (or will be) attired in military uniform when attending the same events where the late Prince Consort used military attire?

That is interesting in relation to the late Prince's allusions to the differences in treatment of female and male consorts. Apparently the military role of consorts is moving towards more gender-neutral treatment - does that imply that the Crown Princess is (or will be) attired in military uniform when attending the same events where the late Prince Consort used military attire?

That will be interesting to see.

Not to the same extent, I think. I think we will see Mary more in a uniform when it is in a military context, say on the annual Flag Day. In particular when she becomes queen. Mary has after all handled Flag Day commemorations on her own.
But on gala occasions I think we will still see Mary in big dresses rather than uniforms - and I think we should be pleased with that. A king and queen both in uniforms is I think a bit of an overkill, but Mary in a dress providing the feminine contrast to Frederik wearing uniform is fitting I think. - So the New Year Courts are safe. ;)
Another matter is that there simply isn't a gala uniform made for her yet.
The Home Guard doesn't have a gale uniform, only a full dress uniform (which Mary may very well get, especially now that she will soon be captain.*)
But that will be the Army Home Guard dress uniform we will see her wear. We will not see her wear the arguably more attractive looking Navy Home Guard dress uniform. (**)

Even if the heir was a woman, I don't think that would make that big a difference. Women have the privilege of more freedom to maneuver than men in regards to attire. - And may that never change!

(*) As a "civilian volunteer" Mary is already "breaking the rules" by becoming a captain in the Home Guard.

(**) Here is the army full dress uniform for women. Apart from the tent hat, the officer here is wearing, it is identical to the Army Home Guard uniform. Here with pants instead of the optional skirt.
https://scontent-lax3-2.cdninstagra...8&ig_cache_key=MTkzOTgxODM5MDgxODQyNjk3Mg==.2
And that's the uniform I believe we will see Mary wear in the near future.

Now, had Mary been attached to the Guards Hussars, then we would have been in for a treat! (And keep in mind there is both Isabella and Josephine lurking in the horizon...)
The gala uniform of the Guards Hussars if it had been worn by Mary:
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...oe7RkT9H9xaEc4CM9ndGDEJkk89USiy&itok=zr7IZG2X
The dress uniform of the Guards Hussars, also worn by Mary and with a feminine cut:
https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagra...n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram.com
The mounted dress uniform:
https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagra...n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram.com
And finally one for the ladies:
https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagra...m&ig_cache_key=MTg4NDIyMDczODI1NDEyMzMzOQ==.2

Last edited:
Today Mary visited Jonstrup barracks to visit the Home Guardsmen who have played a role in tracking down infected and potentially infected persons during the pandemic. They also man a hotline where the public can ask various questions and that Mary witnessed as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's so lovely to see! I love her attachment to the Home Guard. I feel like Mary's had quite a lot of engagements recently that haven't figured in the DRF's calendar. I wonder why that is?

Always enjoy her visits and involvement with the Home Guard.
And like a theme with Frederik and Mary, not everything is on their offcial calendars.

She looks fantastic, very elegant.
I love that she took part, since she did some training with the Home Guard.

She looks fantastic, very elegant.
I love that she took part, since she did some training with the Home Guard.

In 2019 she was made Captain in the Home Guard. I wonder if she still participates in some of their military training/exercises?

The first time: Crown Princess Mary managed a new significant role to top marks | BILLED-BLADET (billedbladet.dk)

Article says in part:

Crown Princess Mary participated in her capacity as captain in the Home Guard in the Home Guard's May 4 parade at the Citadel in Copenhagen, where she had complete control of the military agenda.
Normally you mostly see the Queen and the Crown Prince inspect large military parades, but on Wednesday evening it was the Crown Princess who, in her capacity as captain in the Home Guard, had the prominent role.

Thus, Crown Princess Mary was in charge at the Home Guard's May 4 parade, which marks the liberation on May 4, 1945, when the German troops in Denmark surrendered after five years of German occupation.

I'm proud
Crown Princess Mary gave a strong speech during the parade, where she thanked the Home Guard for their efforts.

- A very big thank you for your efforts. You can be proud of that. I am, said the Crown Princess, who began as a private in the Home Guard in 2008.

Link to Video from article: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...mary-klarede-ny-markant-rolle-til-topkarakter

How wonderful for Mary to be given this honor and important task!**

Post on DRF Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CdJg4J6AYUg/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited:
The Home Guard was formed directly as a consequence of the Occupation 1940-45, under the slogan: Never again a 9th April. - The day DK was occupied.

It was based on a core of former Resistance fighters and people who found the Danish surrender in the morning of 9th April disgraceful.
The purpose of the Home Guard was to set up a citizens militia, who has weapons and ammunition at home and who would continue fighting, regardless. And in the case of an occupation would go underground and keep fighting as a resistance movement.
In that respect the Danish Home Guard is different from say the Swedish Home Guard, that is based on British Territorials, and just like them are mobilization units attached to a regular parent regiment.
The Danish Home Guard work alongside the regular military forces but is under pretty much independent command, fighting in their own neighborhood.

The Home Guard reached it's peak towards the end of the Cold War where almost 1½ % of the total population was a member of the Home Guard.
To put that into perspective, that's equivalent to around 300.000 Australians or some 5 million Americans.

There has been several attempts to disband or at least disarm the Home Guard over the years, but with only limited success.
The regulars were very much against the Home Guard whom they saw as armed "weekend warriors" of very limited military value, especially as many members of the Home Guard would called up to serve in the military anyway in case of a mobilization.
There was admittedly a good deal of truth in that. While a good deal of the members were very active, a just as large group were de facto only members on paper, I.e. very inactive.

Today the Home Guard has been slimmed down and only active members are allowed to stay on. They have been issued much better equipment and get better and more regular training.
The Home Guard today is now more equivalent to the US National Guard. It is still first and foremost for territorial defense, but members of the Army Home Guard in particular are regularly called up to serve abroad, especially for base security, freeing regular soldiers for tasks they are better trained and equipped for.
Members of the Police Home Guard also very regularly perform traffic control and guard crime scenes, freeing police officers for tasks where they of more use.
Especially the navy Home Guard are busy. Having their own small vessels, they are often and quickly called out for all sorts of duties. Coastal patrols, helping civilian boats in distress, investigating pollution, search and rescue and if need be help the police boarding ships (drunk crews sailing through Danish waters is not an uncommon phenomenon!)
The Air Home Guard has gone from being observers on the ground to also operate drones and small planes.

So today hardly anyone are talking about disbanding the Home Guard, because they perform a number of tasks at a very low cost and at a very short notice.

In 2019 she was made Captain in the Home Guard. I wonder if she still participates in some of their military training/exercises?

The first time: Crown Princess Mary managed a new significant role to top marks | BILLED-BLADET (billedbladet.dk)

Article says in part:

Crown Princess Mary participated in her capacity as captain in the Home Guard in the Home Guard's May 4 parade at the Citadel in Copenhagen, where she had complete control of the military agenda.
Normally you mostly see the Queen and the Crown Prince inspect large military parades, but on Wednesday evening it was the Crown Princess who, in her capacity as captain in the Home Guard, had the prominent role.

Thus, Crown Princess Mary was in charge at the Home Guard's May 4 parade, which marks the liberation on May 4, 1945, when the German troops in Denmark surrendered after five years of German occupation.

I'm proud
Crown Princess Mary gave a strong speech during the parade, where she thanked the Home Guard for their efforts.

- A very big thank you for your efforts. You can be proud of that. I am, said the Crown Princess, who began as a private in the Home Guard in 2008.

Link to Video from article: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...mary-klarede-ny-markant-rolle-til-topkarakter

How wonderful for Mary to be given this honor and important task!**

That's because even though she is "only" captain, as the Crown Princess and direct representative of the Commander in Chief, QMII, she outranks everybody else present.
That includes the head of the Home Guard, who is a major general.

In such a situation, Mary is only outranked by QMII herself or Frederik, had they been present.

Had say Joachim been present, he would salute to Mary and he would have inspected the honor guard prior to Mary arriving, because he was the highest ranking until Mary arrives, and to ensure that everything is in order with the honor guard, prior to Mary inspecting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad that she was promoted too!
some words of praise for her "Her Royal Highness has been a visible and powerful role model for us all. She has actively contributed with engagement, questions and ideas. At the same time, she has helped to increase awareness of the Home Guard," said the Chief of the Home Guard, Major General Jens Garly.

large gallery

Mary said "The home guard has given me many good and educational experiences. I have been a part of something that creates security and comfort for the Danes, and I am proud of it. It's special that the appointment takes place at 4. May. More than anything else, that date symbolizes what the Home Guard is and why it’s important."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr1PwzwsE3B/

More from the Home Guard site: https://www.hjv.dk/oe/HJK/nyheder/Sider/Udnavnelse-af-Kronprinsessen.aspx

Including some of Mary's speech:
"The Home Guard has given me many good and educational experiences. I have been a part of something that creates security and a feeling of safety for the Danes and that I'm proud of.
The promotion to major also mark my transition from active to non-active soldier. It is something special that the promotion happens on the 4th May. That date symbolize more than anything else, what the Home Guard is why it's important."

Nowadays volunteers in the Home Guard can reach to the rank of major or navy captain. Previously everyone over the rank of lieutenant were career officers.
The reason is that the Home Guard has gone from being a kind of citizens militia under the Defense Command, to a mix between a territorial army and a national guard - in the sense that members can be called upon or volunteer to serve abroad in Home Guard units. (Mainly base security.) Freeing up regular units to focus more on whatever task that is the reason for the deployment.

Mary is no longer an "active soldier" (she actually never has been. never having held a command on her own) because as a major she is now either a battalion commander, alternatively the second-in-command of a battalion or a staff officer. As Mary is mainly attached to a staff company in the Greater Copenhagen area, my guess is that she will "continue" being a staff officer.
Because the largest tactical Home Guard units are companies, commanded by a captain. Hence why she is no longer an active field officer.
In order to be promoted to major you have to pass the first of two staff courses. It is IMO likely she will attend the second course at some point, enabling her to eventually be promoted to lieutenant colonel and after that full colonel. But I doubt that will happen until she becomes queen.

Tonight is indeed a special night in Denmark.
It's 21:52 as I type this. On 4th May 1945 the whole of Denmark erupted into a nationwide street party, that lasted all night.
At 18:30 the Germans signed the capitulation for German forces in the Netherlands, North West Germany and Denmark.
And that was announced by BBC, Danish news, at 20:36.
That newsprogram started out as usually with various reports about the war, everybody knew it would end soon, so most who possibly could were clued to the wireless that evening - even though it was strictly illegal. Even German units listened in on BBC all day.
Then there was a sudden silence... before the announcement came. And Denmark exploded! People ran into the streets and celebrated. Blackout curtains were torn down and burned. Candles were placed in the windows. Lights were lit in every room in many places. (Normally German and HIPO = Hilfs Polizei = Danish collaborators - Collaborator is a very negative word in Europe! - would shoot through the windows if there was a crack in the black out.
That made an erasable impression in Sweden. Suddenly the dark Danish coast lit up by countless lights. No Swede who saw that would ever forget the sight.
The German troops were ordered back to their barracks. It was over. They were alive. They made it.
That included the German guards posted at Amalienborg. They vanished during the evening, never to be replaced. So for a few hours the DRF was actually unguarded. Until the Resistance organized a detachment to guard Amalienborg.
Even though my family (they are all dead now) told me about it many times, it is still impossible for me to fully comprehend the feelings on that evening. The five years of frustrations, anger, fear and humiliation. All those feelings were released that night in one big party.
- For most... Because Danish collaborators were not partying! Danes who had been profiteering were not partying. Danes who had reported other Danes, sometimes for nothing more than simple malice, were not celebrating. Danish women who were dating German soldiers were mostly not celebrating. (There were some who were so naive that they thought that nothing would happen to them. They were wrong...)
The Liberation, as we call it, was to take effect on 5th May so that is officially the Liberation Day and also a flag day.
The Resistance, some of whom had joined very recently..., began taking up positions all over the country according to the orders they received via BBC. Because right after the announcement on BBC the special messages began - and there were many that evening!
Herberts cup is cracked. - Jonas will climb the tree. - etc.
The celebrations continued for days. But it was also bad days! More people were killed in the days after the Liberation than during the entire five years of Occupation.

The Home Guard was established after the War under the motto never again a 9th April. (The day DK was occupied.)
Many of the first members of the Home Guard were former Resistance fighters and they vowed that if DK was ever attacked again, that they would fight on. As such most Home Guard members were issued their personal weapon and 100 rounds of ammunition to be stored in their homes, when possible. So that the Home Guard could move out and go into position right away.
That was still the case when I joined the Home Guard back in the 80's. Upon signing on, I also signed a pledge that I would not obey a command to capitulate, even if it came from the government. That was at one of the most cold periods of the Cold War and at that time the membership of the Home Guard was at a record high, some 75.000 - or at the time 1½ % of the entire population.
Since then the Home Guard has been slimmed down, to around 30.000 I believe. Much better trained, much better equipped and much more professional. In my time most of us were really "weekend warriors". Well motivated but poorly trained amateurs.
I spend the years in Army Home Guard preparing to take on the East German divisions that were to have rolled up through Jutland. Would we have made a difference? Perhaps, but not in combat, I think. The nuclear missiles that were targeting Denmark were located in East Germany and they were to have been launched at the beginning of a war, we have later learned. They would have detonated less than ten minutes later.

Anyway, to this day many people still put two candles in the windows on this evening. So have some of our neighbors. I noticed it earlier when our dog took me for a walk.
https://cdn.east.bazo.dk/images/2506e001-31e0-4356-908e-86e88d8cd51d/d/16-9/s/2000
https://smooth-storage.aptoma.no/us...9745f5944be17c69056104dd3262731b74750d12929fb

Here is a short video depicting the days after the Liberation. You'll notice a couple of segments of British troops moving in. And quite a bit focusing on German troops moving out. (That took several months in fact. There were more than 200.000 German soldiers in DK.) Some of them don't look particular unhappy about losing the war...

And QMII talking about that night, when she woke up to a lot of commotion outside:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom