The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-08-2019, 05:36 AM
Administrator

The dailymail about Mary's course this week (note: some of the photos are not recent - and what a caption..)

** dailymail: From the ballroom to the barracks! Crown Princess Mary swaps her heels for boots..**

Old 03-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks for the daily chuckle, Iceflower.

While the writer of the article at least has done some effort, it is clear that she has no clue about military matters. There are a number of basic mistakes.
Some of them are due to Google translate I think.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Had a look at the DRF calendar. Looks like Mary is close to being promoted to captain in the Home Guard.

She is attending a course next week in order to prepare her her skills for a promotion to captain.

Interesting! You normally have to be a career officer in order to be a captain (company commander) in the Home Guard. And a basic requirement is to have graduated from the officers academy. - Mary hasn't.
But of course as Crown Princess, Mary is special and as far as I know she has rarely if ever played an active role on a platoon or company level in the company she formally belongs to. She is de facto lieutenant a la suite in the Home Guard. I.e. without a command. So I guess an exception is made for her.

I wonder if she will climb further up the career ladder in the Home Guard? Still without having a formal command of course. (She would hardly be qualified for that in real life.)
The next step after captain would be major, but the requires a basic staff officers training.
I guess she can get a crash course in that as well - she could ask her brother-in-law to prepare her.

PH, in his capacity as Prince Consort (and in Danish context that meant he held the same rank as QMII, except in regards to Constitutional issues) was made a full general and admiral - and he didn't have a formal officers education behind him either, even though he was a trained soldier who had seen active duty in Algeria. So why not Mary?
The reason was of course the traditional close affiliation between the DRF and the military, almost dictating that PH had to if not have a military role, then at least wear uniforms. Beforehand that was no problem, because since PH was the first Prince Consort in Danish history, the queen consorts before him just maintained a civilian role.
But today things are more blurred. Women can and do, and are indeed encouraged to, join the armed forces. So it's only natural that female members of the DRF play some sort of role within the Total Defense as well.
With Mary of course being the highest ranking (in the future) she will have to play a role that in some way is equivalent to the role PH played.
That is interesting in relation to the late Prince's allusions to the differences in treatment of female and male consorts. Apparently the military role of consorts is moving towards more gender-neutral treatment - does that imply that the Crown Princess is (or will be) attired in military uniform when attending the same events where the late Prince Consort used military attire?
Old 03-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
That is interesting in relation to the late Prince's allusions to the differences in treatment of female and male consorts. Apparently the military role of consorts is moving towards more gender-neutral treatment - does that imply that the Crown Princess is (or will be) attired in military uniform when attending the same events where the late Prince Consort used military attire?
That will be interesting to see.

Not to the same extent, I think. I think we will see Mary more in a uniform when it is in a military context, say on the annual Flag Day. In particular when she becomes queen. Mary has after all handled Flag Day commemorations on her own.
But on gala occasions I think we will still see Mary in big dresses rather than uniforms - and I think we should be pleased with that. A king and queen both in uniforms is I think a bit of an overkill, but Mary in a dress providing the feminine contrast to Frederik wearing uniform is fitting I think. - So the New Year Courts are safe.
Another matter is that there simply isn't a gala uniform made for her yet.
The Home Guard doesn't have a gale uniform, only a full dress uniform (which Mary may very well get, especially now that she will soon be captain.*)
But that will be the Army Home Guard dress uniform we will see her wear. We will not see her wear the arguably more attractive looking Navy Home Guard dress uniform. (**)

Even if the heir was a woman, I don't think that would make that big a difference. Women have the privilege of more freedom to maneuver than men in regards to attire. - And may that never change!

(*) As a "civilian volunteer" Mary is already "breaking the rules" by becoming a captain in the Home Guard.

(**) Here is the army full dress uniform for women. Apart from the tent hat, the officer here is wearing, it is identical to the Army Home Guard uniform. Here with pants instead of the optional skirt.
https://scontent-lax3-2.cdninstagram...Njk3Mg%3D%3D.2
And that's the uniform I believe we will see Mary wear in the near future.

Now, had Mary been attached to the Guards Hussars, then we would have been in for a treat! (And keep in mind there is both Isabella and Josephine lurking in the horizon...)
The gala uniform of the Guards Hussars if it had been worn by Mary:
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/n...&itok=zr7IZG2X
The dress uniform of the Guards Hussars, also worn by Mary and with a feminine cut:
https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram...ninstagram.com
The mounted dress uniform:
https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram...ninstagram.com
And finally one for the ladies:
https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram...MzMzOQ%3D%3D.2

Tags
crown princess mary, crown princess mary and the danish home guard, danish home guard, princess mary, princess mary and the danish home guard