Crown Princely Couple's Working Visit to New York and Boston: October 20-25, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for those photos. It's impossible to believe Mary is the mother of four, smh. How glamorous she looks in that slinky gown.

Last edited:
That's a nice interview of the royal couple; I'm fascinated to hear Mary speak and note that she does have a strong Australian accent. It's said that she speaks Danish with barely an accent, so she must be getting very proficient at it. And I think this is the first I've heard Fred speak English. They're a charming, stylish couple and are good ambassadors for their country. I'm glad that they're enjoying themselves here in New York and they're getting a warm welcome from the public.

I found Mary's voice to be very soft and soothing. Her accent was very prominent when she spoke. I've never heard Frederik speak either English or Danish, and I think he's got a nice voice as well. Both of them could be great candidates for reading audio books. They appear very comfortable with each other and on camera as well. Great representatives for the DRF and Denmark alike. Their stylishness is very NYC. They fit in rather well. Some members of the general public at Union Square couldn't believe that they were royal, because they looked like any other New Yorkers enjoying a Saturday at the Farmers' Market.

These are great shots. Thanks so much. What a great-looking couple.

Thanks for those photos. It's impossible to believe Mary is the mother of four, smh. How glamorous she looks in that slinky gown.

I'll second that. I hope we all may be this lucky after having a few children.

They have 3 weeks off after returning from the US, before they head to Australia...What a life! :)

I was at the Aamann's opening in Tribeca today and Frederik and Mary couldn't have been cuter! They both looked great! Frederik is very handsome in person (nice suit!) and Mary looked lovely. I waved at them from outside the window and they BOTH waved back with little clandestine waves and smiles -- very sweet. Here are a few photos:

2 more photos:

I also have a video which I will try to post tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, checked their official calender...only 2 events on Monday 31st October and Tuesday 1st November and that's it until the 19th November when they leave for OZ...Maybe they have kids stuff to do, planning for the trip, clothes shopping/organising (Mary anyway) but basically no official outings...Oh for such a life! ;)

Last edited:
Yep, checked their official calender...only 2 events on Monday 31st October and Tuesday 1st November
2 events at the moment, but the calendars (cp couple and DRF) are updated on Thursday next time. The DRF calendar is always updated for events for the next two weeks, but the CP couples often add events only for the next week or so.

Last edited:

Here are some special pics: Mary and Frederik on a private walk in Soho yesterday:

** Danish Royals in SoHo ** Prince Frederik jokes around **

Oh Frederik, why did you have to get coffee from Starbucks when there's so much better coffee in every other coffee shop in the city! Mary and Frederik seem to love SoHo when they're in New York, don't they? I remember Mary was spotted with Bella running in SoHo in the early morning back in 2007.

Thank you, Sasco :flowers:

I've truly enjoyed yours and Daria_S :flowers: accounts from your meetings with M&F, becuase these are genuine, first-time impressions which haven't been through the filter of an editor.
That makes them so much more authentic.

I was at the Aamann's opening in Tribeca today and Frederik and Mary couldn't have been cuter! They both looked great! Frederik is very handsome in person (nice suit!) and Mary looked lovely. I waved at them from outside the window and they BOTH waved back with little clandestine waves and smiles -- very sweet. Here are a few photos:

2 more photos:

I also have a video which I will try to post tomorrow.

Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsesse Mary og Medina i New York
When M&F were at the Aamann eatery (didn't the sign outside say that?) a popsinger called Medina sang a few songs.
Fine, she then retreated and was approached by M&F, who talked to her before posing with her.

Now, Medina is a hot name home in DK and I have two children, so I know her music to the point of my ears falling off!
But why, oh why, can't "popstars" pose like normal human beings?
Don't know about you, but in my eyes she looks silly standing there between M&F doing the victory/peace sign - and keeping on doing it! (there are more pics on My Royal Blog). - We need a good-grief-smiley.

Oh what a delightful video clip of the Frederik and Mary in New York. I loved the interview. Absolutely wonderful. This couple is just so down to earth and full of fun. They are very special ambassadors for Denmark.

Last edited:
DUDE - All cellphones off please!!!:ohmy:

'The Today Show' covered their visit and talked to them.
Bites - Danish food gets the royal treatment in New York

Because Frederik is so un-eloquent, Mary always appears to be pushy or wanting to outshine her husband when holding the main conversation, what is not the case.
Very often, there is a question that could easily be answered by Frederik but he hesitates and finally Mary jumps in to end the embarrassing silence.

Its been said many times, he HAS to work on his public speaking abilities.

Last edited:
Oh Frederik, why did you have to get coffee from Starbucks when there's so much better coffee in every other coffee shop in the city! Mary and Frederik seem to love SoHo when they're in New York, don't they? I remember Mary was spotted with Bella running in SoHo in the early morning back in 2007.
Because it's trendy to have a cup of coffee from Starbucks in the hand even if you do not drink it :whistling:...and yes pure coffee from Starbucks is bad, but Caramel Macchiato is the best :flowers:

Last edited:
Because it's trendy to have a cup of coffee from Starbucks in the hand even if you do not drink it :whistling:...and yes pure coffee from Starbucks is bad, but Caramel Macchiato is the best :flowers:

Not in New York it isn't. Quite the opposite actually...

A gallery from BT, with Mary and Frederik playing football: Griber Mary bolden? | www.bt.dk

ADDED:
I've recogniced two, possibly three PET officers around M&F.
As NYPD also provides protection, what are the rules regarding foreign security officers in USA? Or are the rules different from state to state?

:previous: Normally American security takes precedence over foreign security whether in the US or overseas, i.e. Queen Margrethe would be protected by the State Department's Secret Service or NYPD (if in NY) while President Obama would be protected by the Secret Service when in Denmark even though Denmark provides excellent security for any visitor.

Does that make sense? :flowers:

:previous: Normally American security takes precedence over foreign security whether in the US or overseas, i.e. Queen Margrethe would be protected by the State Department's Secret Service or NYPD (if in NY) while President Obama would be protected by the Secret Service when in Denmark even though Denmark provides excellent security for any visitor.

Does that make sense? :flowers:

Yes, to some extent. :)
I noticed that PET provided close protection, while, as far as I could tell, uniformed NYPD and some civillian officers I've never noticed before acted like the next ring of protection.
Are foreign security officers allowed to be armed in New York/USA? If not, the task of the PET officers is slightly different, like when they visit Australia.

- I know this is trivial details, but it's that kind of details I often use as notes, when writing summaries and it genuinely interest me.

Last edited:
Another question:
The white shirted officers in the background, are they school safety officers or NYPD?
Kronprinsparret på officielt besøg i New York - Børnene er vilde med Mary

Security at the Settlement House.
NYPD doesn't wear white shirts as part of their uniforms unless they are high up the hierarchy (as in Chief of 'so-and-so' Affairs, and thus wouldn't be personally providing protection)

Yes, to some extent. :)
I noticed that PET provided close protection, while, as far as I could tell, uniformed NYPD and some civillian officers I've never noticed before acted like the next ring of protection.
Are foreign security officers allowed to be armed in New York/USA? If not, the task of the PET officers is slightly different, like when they visit Australia.

- I know this is trivial details, but it's that kind of details I often use as notes, when writing summaries and it genuinely interest me.

I don't know about other states but in NY they would be allowed to be armed if they satisfied permit requirements (which they obviously would). As you know, the United States rightly or wrongly guarantees the right to be armed no matter who you are, and as that has not been ruled unconstitutional yet in NY to my memory, it still stands.

For instance, and this is a bit off-topic, I found it interesting in the Danish tv drama 'Anna Pihl' that the constables had to lock their guns away at the end of their shifts. That was remarkable to me because many NYPD and, I assume other American officers, often take their guns home with them. They would probably think it was foolish to have to leave your weapon.

Last edited:
Thank you for your great reply, American Dane :flowers:

As for the Anna Pihl series, (I didn't watch it, but Mrs. Muhler gave me a very comprehensive summary, oh yes!) some Danish police officers take their pistol with them home. Depending on their jobs and so on, local police constables for example keep their weapon in their office, which is also their private home. They just have to store their weapon very securely. But most uniformed officers, if not all, simply lock their pistol away at the end of their shift.

There are of course ways to circumnavigate any prohibition against carrying firearms in a foreign country. They are simply granted diplomatic status and their weapons is then transported inside the country in the diplomatic luggage.
That is something FET agents often use. :cool: (This is supposed to be a kind of cloak-and-dagger-smiley).

I don't know about other states but in NY they would be allowed to be armed if they satisfied permit requirements (which they obviously would). As you know, the United States rightly or wrongly guarantees the right to be armed no matter who you are, and as that has not been ruled unconstitutional yet in NY to my memory, it still stands.

For instance, and this is a bit off-topic, I found it interesting in the Danish tv drama 'Anna Pihl' that the constables had to lock their guns away at the end of their shifts. That was remarkable to me because many NYPD and, I assume other American officers, often take their guns home with them. They would probably this it was foolish to have to leave your weapon.

Last edited:
Thank you for your great reply, American Dane :flowers:

As for the Anna Pihl series, (I didn't watch it, but Mrs. Muhler gave me a very comprehensive summary, oh yes!) some Danish police officers take their pistol with them home. Depending on their jobs and so on, local police constables for example keep their weapon in their office, which is also their private home. They just have to store their weapon very securely. But most uniformed officers, if not all, simply lock their pistol away at the end of their shift.

There are of course ways to circumnavigate any prohibition against carrying firearms in a foreign country. They are simply granted diplomatic status and their weapons is then transported inside the country in the diplomatic luggage.
That is something FET agents often use. :cool: (This is supposed to be a kind of cloak-and-dagger-smiley).

Haha, and on that note, the US (and this might show my position on the matter) would more often than not actually recommend for foreign security to be armed. Gun crimes tend to be a problem in the States... :whistling:

Thanks for the wonderful pics and videos, all of you! Sasco, I really like the broad picture of the street with the bicycles in front and that's a wonderful closeup of Mary. And, Muhler, I was wondering who that poser was with Fred and Mary draping herself on Fred; that was too much. Thanks for the ID. The ones of the couple strolling the street looking like your normal urbanites are cute, especially with Fred clutching his coffee like a typical commuter. But, Mary, you need to be wearing sneakers or flats, the de rigueur footware for the city. As Mirabel says, you won't get far at all in those heels! :lol:

Last edited:

I ALSO saw them yesterday in Tribeca! After having to work Saturday and missing them, I was able to stop in NYC and they were very easy to spot! I got there for their entrance to the restaurant. There were about 10 photographers and 6 "fans" outside the restaurant. VERY low key, that's it and everyone was super well behaved. Three adorable young girls and their mother, most likely the owner, were outside to greet them.
Sasco, were you the one standing with the photographers, or did you just get there when they were leaving?
I was not prepared for how fashion model thin Mary is. As I saw her mostly from the side, I will try to post my 3 pix later, she seemed to almost disappear! The pictures mostly really do not portray it. Also, Fred is extrememly charismatic and comfortable with the cameras, something else that isn't usually conveyed. Her outfit, as one poster commented, really does not fit the Tribeca/SOHO area and she looked as if she was going to a cocktail party on the upper East Side of Manhattan. The singer was dressed in the downtown "uniform". I later walked a few blocks over to SoHo and saw their protection agents again, walking down Greene St. They were SO noticeable I started laughing. Tall and husky, blond crew cuts and cheap black suits with very loud colorful shirts that American men would never wear. I didn't see them again but they certainly wouldn't have blended in. SoHo was simply teeming with European tourists. Oh also, I recognized the DRF pr person, Lena Hallaby(sp?) on a smoking break:bang: before they arrived at the restaurant. She is very tall, at least 6 ft, and was wearing a form fitting grey dress and has a very slim killer figure! (but bad hair and no makeup). :flowers:

Thank you for sharing your photos! I wanted to try and make it over there, but alas, was running late with errand-running. Glad you had a glimpse of them.

I ALSO saw them yesterday in Tribeca! After having to work Saturday and missing them, I was able to stop in NYC and they were very easy to spot! I got there for their entrance to the restaurant. There were about 10 photographers and 6 "fans" outside the restaurant. VERY low key, that's it and everyone was super well behaved. Three adorable young girls and their mother, most likely the owner, were outside to greet them.
Sasco, were you the one standing with the photographers, or did you just get there when they were leaving?
I was not prepared for how fashion model thin Mary is. As I saw her mostly from the side, I will try to post my 3 pix later, she seemed to almost disappear! The pictures mostly really do not portray it. Also, Fred is extrememly charismatic and comfortable with the cameras, something else that isn't usually conveyed. Her outfit, as one poster commented, really does not fit the Tribeca/SOHO area and she looked as if she was going to a cocktail party on the upper East Side of Manhattan. The singer was dressed in the downtown "uniform". I later walked a few blocks over to SoHo and saw their protection agents again, walking down Greene St. They were SO noticeable I started laughing. Tall and husky, blond crew cuts and cheap black suits with very loud colorful shirts that American men would never wear. I didn't see them again but they certainly wouldn't have blended in. SoHo was simply teeming with European tourists. Oh also, I recognized the DRF pr person, Lena Hallaby(sp?) on a smoking break:bang: before they arrived at the restaurant. She is very tall, at least 6 ft, and was wearing a form fitting grey dress and has a very slim killer figure! (but bad hair and no makeup). :flowers:

So glad you got to see Frederik and Mary before they departed back home. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I too would like to add my thanks to Sasco and Frelinghighness for sharing their pictures and experiences with us. As Muhler noted, it is nice to read about someone's experience firsthand without an editor's heavy hand (my words not Muhler's).

Because Frederik is so un-eloquent, Mary always appears to be pushy or wanting to outshine her husband when holding the main conversation, what is not the case.
Very often, there is a question that could easily be answered by Frederik but he hesitates and finally Mary jumps in to end the embarrassing silence.

Its been said many times, he HAS to work on his public speaking abilities.

I agree DoM. Frederik's hesitations and pauses are a problem for him. He needs to address this situation as it is clearly not improving.

By contrast I did notice during the Danish portion of "A Royal Family" Queen Margrethe and Prince Joachim were much more relaxed, comfortable and animated when speaking on camera in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom