Crown Princely Couple's Working Visit to New York and Boston: October 20-25, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Daria. So refreshing to see such naturalness and ease. That they were so accessible is a credit to them. Loved that they matched sweater and scarf - very cute. Maybe it was a set and they shared.

I agree about Mary likely being taken a-back - possibly even tired - these things must be a strain no matter how often you 'do' them. Its funny how we judge someone in such an intensely public role so personally. Its helpful to see the situation from the person's perspective. Even then, we can never know really what it must be like to be under that kind of scrutiny. I especially like that she was not using the situation to be a clothes-horse making a fashion statement. Its a pleasure to see royals without hype.

Well, I'm finally home after a rather full day.

I did indeed make it to Union Square, and got a few glimpses (and shots) of the Crownprincely couple. What I found amusing, was the fact that after their part at The Cookout was done, they wandered around the Farmers' Market, and a crowd of people just shadowed them (I was in that crowd, along with another woman who was an admirer of the couple). We were never told to step away, but once were asked not to photograph. I got to have a few seconds of a chat with Mary, and just asked her if she and her husband were enjoying New York City. She said that they were, which is nice to hear. We followed them to their car, and wished them a good day at the Jets game tomorrow. The other girl told me that she didn't find Mary to be very friendly, but my thought was that perhaps Mary didn't expect two random Americans to just start talking to her. I know that if I were in her place, I would have been taken aback just a little bit. Of course we must take into account that she was there on an official visit, and had to pay attention that what the organizers were saying, and whatnot. Overall, it was a great experience.

Here's a link to my facebook album that deals with this visit. It's public, so take a look. The pictures are not the best, but I did what I could. The glare from the sun wasn't very helpful here.

Autumn in New York | Facebook

Great photos Daria, I am so pleased that you got so close and that they hung around the farmers market for so long. I am thrilled for you that you got to speak to her. A great memory to keep alongside all your other great memories of life. Your trip has thrilled the rest of us it seems.

So glad you enjoyed reading this.

:previous: I found that Mary is quite shy and so is still taken aback by the attention, esp. from non-Danes. She is extremely kind and nice and I'm glad you got to ask her about her trip to NY so far!

Congrats Daria on some great photos :flowers: Hope you enjoyed the Market at Union Square yourself, it's a beautiful place every Sunday.

I think it was shyness more than anything else. It's got to be daunting to be in a foreign country and get recognized by someone who's most likely not affiliated with Denmark.

DAria were you the purple sleeve in Pic 4 above - when i saw your personal photos I recognised the location and smile - you lucky thing getting such a warms smile.

Yep :D, the purple sweater was worn by me.

Wow Daria! What a success!! My jaw dropped when I read you were able to flollow them around and spoke to Mary. I really missed it! Thanks for being there for all of us and getting such great shots and sharing.
Mary does look cold in the pictures. What time DID they get there?
Were you offered samples also?

I'd guess that they got there around ten-thirty/ten-forty-five. It was chilly in the morning, and the event was in a stone archway/pavilion where the sun wasn't anywhere close. I'm sorry you missed this, and I hope you'll be able to come out for the next royal visit.

Thanks to all those who looked, read and commented. I'm glad you all enjoyed reading my account.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Frederik on the sidelines before the New York Jets
played the San Diego Chargers in week 7 of the NFL season at MetLife Stadium in East
Rutherford, New Jersey on October 23, 2011.

They also met Michael Douglas and son (pic 5).

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** belga gallery **

The game was not broadcast in my city. :/

But I'm happy that pics are available of them at the game. I hope they had a good time.

Daria - I so envy that you got your brush with royalty and how nice that the organizers at Union Square made sure you got a good shot of the princely couple. What wonderful pictures - thanks so much for sharing - and a fantastic memory for you; I can't get over that you actually spoke with Mary! If I wasn't working Saturday, I'd have come in and joined you.:sad: It's great that Fred and Mary seem to be enjoying themselves here and I'm thrilled they came to experience the Union Square greenmarket, one of the best ones in New York. I'm glad they sampled good food and got a great reception from us friendly New Yorkers! :flowers:

And I have to say, OT, that Michael Douglas' son is the spitting image of his mom, Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Last edited:
Great pictures Daria!! Thanks for sharing them with us!

Daria - I so envy that you got your brush with royalty and how nice that the organizers at Union Square made sure you got a good shot of the princely couple. What wonderful pictures - thanks so much for sharing - and a fantastic memory for you; I can't get over that you actually spoke with Mary! If I wasn't working Saturday, I'd have come in and joined you.:sad: It's great that Fred and Mary seem to be enjoying themselves here and I'm thrilled they came to experience the Union Square greenmarket, one of the best ones in New York. I'm glad they sampled good food and got a great reception from us friendly New Yorkers! :flowers:

And I have to say, OT, that Michael Douglas' son is the spitting image of his mom, Catherine Zeta-Jones.

You're welcome! Sorry that you couldn't have come out too. Would have been a great experience. I'm still in shock that I actually said something. I get very nervous when meeting new people, and usually don't say much of anything (let alone initiate the conversation). Glad that I stepped out of my comfort zone for this one time :D.

Great pictures Daria!! Thanks for sharing them with us!

You're welcome :).

You're welcome! Sorry that you couldn't have come out too. Would have been a great experience. I'm still in shock that I actually said something. I get very nervous when meeting new people, and usually don't say much of anything (let alone initiate the conversation). Glad that I stepped out of my comfort zone for this one time :D.

If you hadn't said anything to Mary, I'm sure you'd have been kicking yourself for a missed opportunity so I'm glad you mustered up the nerve. And that can be intimidating, so I give you a lot of credit. If you can initiate an exchange with royalty, my dear, you can now chat up a storm with everyone under the sun with perfect ease!:)

If you hadn't said anything to Mary, I'm sure you'd have been kicking yourself for a missed opportunity so I'm glad you mustered up the nerve. And that can be intimidating, so I give you a lot of credit. If you can initiate an exchange with royalty, my dear, you can chat up a storm with everyone under the sun with perfect ease!:)

Thank you :flowers:! I'll have to remember that next time I'm scared of initiating social contact:D. Though I will say that the fact that I'll most likely never meet this person again had a great deal to do with it. There was very little fear of being judged.

Just repeat the mantra: "I spoke with royalty, I spoke with royalty, I spoke with royalty...." and you'll do fine.:clap:

How lucky you were to see and talk with the Princess! It's my opinion that she was on an official function and, while probably surprised to have "ordinary folk" eager to chat with her, she ought to have been (and probably was) prepared for that. So for her to respond to you, however briefly, seems to be the normal thing to do.

She is so gorgeous! and Fred is not bad himself. :)

Last edited:
Thank you :flowers:! I'll have to remember that next time I'm scared of initiating social contact:D. Though I will say that the fact that I'll most likely never meet this person again had a great deal to do with it. There was very little fear of being judged.

Don't say that Daria_S.
M&F are in New York reasonably often, so who knows?
You may bump into them on the street again one day.;)

Daria, thank you for sharing your photos and your experience. I'm so excited for you that you got a chance to talk to CP Mary. What a very special memory to carry with you forever.

There have been a number of articles in NY papers,one in paticular after Mary's vist to Queens has a number of quotes from the children one in paticular from 14 yr old Nzingha Freeman said

"She had a glow on her, she made me feel special too"

Another said among other things "She was so nice"

These first hand accounts tell the real story of these visits, not some doing their best to put their own spin on things.

Last edited:
DUDE - All cellphones off please!!!:ohmy:

'The Today Show' covered their visit and talked to them.
Bites - Danish food gets the royal treatment in New York

Thanks for the video! My new acquaintance and I were behind the bushes, trying to get a picture, and were wondering just who was interviewing the couple. Of course we didn't snap any pictures until Mary and Frederik were done talking and started walking again.

Don't say that Daria_S.
M&F are in New York reasonably often, so who knows?
You may bump into them on the street again one day.;)

Now THAT would be a little awkward, but a treat nonetheless.

Daria, thank you for sharing your photos and your experience. I'm so excited for you that you got a chance to talk to CP Mary. What a very special memory to carry with you forever.

You're very welcome. Glad you enjoyed them both.

There have been a number of articles in NY papers,one in paticular after Mary's vist to Queens has a number of quotes from the children one in paticular from 14 yr old Nzingha Freeman said

"She had a glow on her, she made me feel special too"

Another said among other things "She was so nice"

These first hand accounts tell the real story of these visits, no some doing their best to put their own spin on things.

:previous: Exactly.

Mary looks cold - jacket zipped up, hands in pockets, arms crossed. But love the outfit!

Also sweet how Prince Frederik's scarf matches the Princess' sweater
!:wub::heart::twohearts: I often wonder about whether stylists arrange not just their female clients but also the male half of the princely couples. It is indeed quite interesting to see how the various european princes' and princesses often match one anothers colours when out on engagements!

Today, October 24, Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Frederik visited the Lifespire Inc. facility in
New York. Lifespire serves developmentally disabled people in a work environment and is supported by
the Danish company Team Online, and their user friendly system software called Bosted (pics 1,2 & gallery).

They attended a preview of Adam Aamanns restaurant 'Aamanns/Copenhagen' in Tribeca in New York (pics 3 & 4).

And Crown Prince Frederik visited Mount Sinai Hospital's Cardiac Facility (pic 5 & gallery).

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** daylife/AP gallery ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** gettyimages/daylife gallery **

** gettyimages/daylife gallery: Visit at the Adam Aamanns Restaurant **

** gettyimages/zimbio: Visit at Carl Hansen & Son Showroom **

Last edited:
DUDE - All cellphones off please!!!:ohmy:

'The Today Show' covered their visit and talked to them.
Bites - Danish food gets the royal treatment in New York

ADDED: A nice gallery from Popsugar: http://www.popsugar.com.au/Princess-Mary-Prince-Frederik-Pictures-New-York-Official-Duties-20119045

And a special gallery of M&F dancing: http://www.fabsugar.com.au/Pictures...YC-See-Her-Glam-Gown-from-All-Angles-20118042

For whatever reason I can't see the clip, only hear the sound.
Anyway, Politiken has an article about the segment. (Yeah, we do like it when they notice us out in the big world - and say something nice that is :p).
http://politiken.dk/politik/ECE1430897/tv-i-usa-dansk-kronprinspar-er-moderne/ (No pics, just text).

Five million viewers?
A modern CP couple, who has maintained a royal touch. That's a nice review.

How serious is the Today Show? Does it have a political side? Republican or Democrat?

Jacob A. Riss. Was he the photographer who spend years in USA making fantastic and very poigniant black and white portraits of people from the lower or poorer levels of society?
If it's him, they remind me of the photographs made during the Depression.
ADDED: No it wasn't the one I'm thinking of. This is Riis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_riis

Last edited:
For whatever reason I can't see the clip, only hear the sound.
Anyway, Politiken has an article about the segment. (Yeah, we do like it when they notice us out in the big world - and say something nice that is :p).
Tv i USA: Dansk kronprinspar er moderne - Politiken.dk (No pics, just text).

Five million viewers?
A modern CP couple, who has maintained a royal touch. That's a nice review.

How serious is the Today Show? Does it have a political side? Republican or Democrat?

Jacob A. Riss. Was he the photographer who spend years in USA making fantastic and very poigniant black and white portraits of people from the lower or poorer levels of society?
If it's him, they remind me of the photographs made during the Depression.
ADDED: No it wasn't the one I'm thinking of. This is Riis: Jacob Riis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi Muhler,
The Today Show is a 2 hour daily morning show (7am - 9am) that tackles both serious and soft news. It is on NBC which is one of our major television networks. They try to be unbiased (Republican vs. Democrat) as do most major news organizations over here. The 7am hour is mostly hard news and the 8am hour is more entertainment, cooking, health, etc. It's been around since the 1950s, so you could consider it an American institution. They have actually extended the show for an additional two hours with different hosts to capitalize on the success of the original, but the 7am-9am show is the original. Hope that helps! :flowers:

Hi Muhler,
The Today Show is a 2 hour daily morning show (7am - 9am) that tackles both serious and soft news. It is on NBC which is one of our major television networks. They try to be unbiased (Republican vs. Democrat) as do most major news organizations over here. The 7am hour is mostly hard news and the 8am hour is more entertainment, cooking, health, etc. It's been around since the 1950s, so you could consider it an American institution. They have actually extended the show for an additional two hours with different hosts to capitalize on the success of the original, but the 7am-9am show is the original. Hope that helps! :flowers:

It does.
thank you, Windsorgirl :flowers:

That's a nice interview of the royal couple; I'm fascinated to hear Mary speak and note that she does have a strong Australian accent. It's said that she speaks Danish with barely an accent, so she must be getting very proficient at it. And I think this is the first I've heard Fred speak English. They're a charming, stylish couple and are good ambassadors for their country. I'm glad that they're enjoying themselves here in New York and they're getting a warm welcome from the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom