The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #141  
Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
Normally American security takes precedence over foreign security whether in the US or overseas, i.e. Queen Margrethe would be protected by the State Department's Secret Service or NYPD (if in NY) while President Obama would be protected by the Secret Service when in Denmark even though Denmark provides excellent security for any visitor.

Does that make sense?
Yes, to some extent.
I noticed that PET provided close protection, while, as far as I could tell, uniformed NYPD and some civillian officers I've never noticed before acted like the next ring of protection.
Are foreign security officers allowed to be armed in New York/USA? If not, the task of the PET officers is slightly different, like when they visit Australia.

- I know this is trivial details, but it's that kind of details I often use as notes, when writing summaries and it genuinely interest me.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 AM
American Dane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York and Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

Another question:
The white shirted officers in the background, are they school safety officers or NYPD?
Kronprinsparret på officielt besøg i New York - Børnene er vilde med Mary
Security at the Settlement House.
NYPD doesn't wear white shirts as part of their uniforms unless they are high up the hierarchy (as in Chief of 'so-and-so' Affairs, and thus wouldn't be personally providing protection)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Yes, to some extent.
I noticed that PET provided close protection, while, as far as I could tell, uniformed NYPD and some civillian officers I've never noticed before acted like the next ring of protection.
Are foreign security officers allowed to be armed in New York/USA? If not, the task of the PET officers is slightly different, like when they visit Australia.

- I know this is trivial details, but it's that kind of details I often use as notes, when writing summaries and it genuinely interest me.
I don't know about other states but in NY they would be allowed to be armed if they satisfied permit requirements (which they obviously would). As you know, the United States rightly or wrongly guarantees the right to be armed no matter who you are, and as that has not been ruled unconstitutional yet in NY to my memory, it still stands.

For instance, and this is a bit off-topic, I found it interesting in the Danish tv drama 'Anna Pihl' that the constables had to lock their guns away at the end of their shifts. That was remarkable to me because many NYPD and, I assume other American officers, often take their guns home with them. They would probably think it was foolish to have to leave your weapon.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 10-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,772
Thank you for your great reply, American Dane

As for the Anna Pihl series, (I didn't watch it, but Mrs. Muhler gave me a very comprehensive summary, oh yes!) some Danish police officers take their pistol with them home. Depending on their jobs and so on, local police constables for example keep their weapon in their office, which is also their private home. They just have to store their weapon very securely. But most uniformed officers, if not all, simply lock their pistol away at the end of their shift.

There are of course ways to circumnavigate any prohibition against carrying firearms in a foreign country. They are simply granted diplomatic status and their weapons is then transported inside the country in the diplomatic luggage.
That is something FET agents often use. (This is supposed to be a kind of cloak-and-dagger-smiley).

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
I don't know about other states but in NY they would be allowed to be armed if they satisfied permit requirements (which they obviously would). As you know, the United States rightly or wrongly guarantees the right to be armed no matter who you are, and as that has not been ruled unconstitutional yet in NY to my memory, it still stands.

For instance, and this is a bit off-topic, I found it interesting in the Danish tv drama 'Anna Pihl' that the constables had to lock their guns away at the end of their shifts. That was remarkable to me because many NYPD and, I assume other American officers, often take their guns home with them. They would probably this it was foolish to have to leave your weapon.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 10-25-2011, 10:53 AM
American Dane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York and Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thank you for your great reply, American Dane

As for the Anna Pihl series, (I didn't watch it, but Mrs. Muhler gave me a very comprehensive summary, oh yes!) some Danish police officers take their pistol with them home. Depending on their jobs and so on, local police constables for example keep their weapon in their office, which is also their private home. They just have to store their weapon very securely. But most uniformed officers, if not all, simply lock their pistol away at the end of their shift.

There are of course ways to circumnavigate any prohibition against carrying firearms in a foreign country. They are simply granted diplomatic status and their weapons is then transported inside the country in the diplomatic luggage.
That is something FET agents often use. (This is supposed to be a kind of cloak-and-dagger-smiley).
Haha, and on that note, the US (and this might show my position on the matter) would more often than not actually recommend for foreign security to be armed. Gun crimes tend to be a problem in the States...
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 10-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,811
Thanks for the wonderful pics and videos, all of you! Sasco, I really like the broad picture of the street with the bicycles in front and that's a wonderful closeup of Mary. And, Muhler, I was wondering who that poser was with Fred and Mary draping herself on Fred; that was too much. Thanks for the ID. The ones of the couple strolling the street looking like your normal urbanites are cute, especially with Fred clutching his coffee like a typical commuter. But, Mary, you need to be wearing sneakers or flats, the de rigueur footware for the city. As Mirabel says, you won't get far at all in those heels!
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 3,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasco View Post
I was at the Aamann's opening in Tribeca today and Frederik and Mary couldn't have been cuter! They both looked great! Frederik is very handsome in person (nice suit!) and Mary looked lovely. I waved at them from outside the window and they BOTH waved back with little clandestine waves and smiles -- very sweet. Here are a few photos:
I ALSO saw them yesterday in Tribeca! After having to work Saturday and missing them, I was able to stop in NYC and they were very easy to spot! I got there for their entrance to the restaurant. There were about 10 photographers and 6 "fans" outside the restaurant. VERY low key, that's it and everyone was super well behaved. Three adorable young girls and their mother, most likely the owner, were outside to greet them.
Sasco, were you the one standing with the photographers, or did you just get there when they were leaving?
I was not prepared for how fashion model thin Mary is. As I saw her mostly from the side, I will try to post my 3 pix later, she seemed to almost disappear! The pictures mostly really do not portray it. Also, Fred is extrememly charismatic and comfortable with the cameras, something else that isn't usually conveyed. Her outfit, as one poster commented, really does not fit the Tribeca/SOHO area and she looked as if she was going to a cocktail party on the upper East Side of Manhattan. The singer was dressed in the downtown "uniform". I later walked a few blocks over to SoHo and saw their protection agents again, walking down Greene St. They were SO noticeable I started laughing. Tall and husky, blond crew cuts and cheap black suits with very loud colorful shirts that American men would never wear. I didn't see them again but they certainly wouldn't have blended in. SoHo was simply teeming with European tourists. Oh also, I recognized the DRF pr person, Lena Hallaby(sp?) on a smoking break before they arrived at the restaurant. She is very tall, at least 6 ft, and was wearing a form fitting grey dress and has a very slim killer figure! (but bad hair and no makeup).
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasco View Post
I was at the Aamann's opening in Tribeca today and Frederik and Mary couldn't have been cuter! They both looked great! Frederik is very handsome in person (nice suit!) and Mary looked lovely. I waved at them from outside the window and they BOTH waved back with little clandestine waves and smiles -- very sweet. Here are a few photos:
Thank you for sharing your photos! I wanted to try and make it over there, but alas, was running late with errand-running. Glad you had a glimpse of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I ALSO saw them yesterday in Tribeca! After having to work Saturday and missing them, I was able to stop in NYC and they were very easy to spot! I got there for their entrance to the restaurant. There were about 10 photographers and 6 "fans" outside the restaurant. VERY low key, that's it and everyone was super well behaved. Three adorable young girls and their mother, most likely the owner, were outside to greet them.
Sasco, were you the one standing with the photographers, or did you just get there when they were leaving?
I was not prepared for how fashion model thin Mary is. As I saw her mostly from the side, I will try to post my 3 pix later, she seemed to almost disappear! The pictures mostly really do not portray it. Also, Fred is extrememly charismatic and comfortable with the cameras, something else that isn't usually conveyed. Her outfit, as one poster commented, really does not fit the Tribeca/SOHO area and she looked as if she was going to a cocktail party on the upper East Side of Manhattan. The singer was dressed in the downtown "uniform". I later walked a few blocks over to SoHo and saw their protection agents again, walking down Greene St. They were SO noticeable I started laughing. Tall and husky, blond crew cuts and cheap black suits with very loud colorful shirts that American men would never wear. I didn't see them again but they certainly wouldn't have blended in. SoHo was simply teeming with European tourists. Oh also, I recognized the DRF pr person, Lena Hallaby(sp?) on a smoking break before they arrived at the restaurant. She is very tall, at least 6 ft, and was wearing a form fitting grey dress and has a very slim killer figure! (but bad hair and no makeup).
So glad you got to see Frederik and Mary before they departed back home. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 10-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Duchess of Durham's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 688
I too would like to add my thanks to Sasco and Frelinghighness for sharing their pictures and experiences with us. As Muhler noted, it is nice to read about someone's experience firsthand without an editor's heavy hand (my words not Muhler's).
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 10-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Because Frederik is so un-eloquent, Mary always appears to be pushy or wanting to outshine her husband when holding the main conversation, what is not the case.
Very often, there is a question that could easily be answered by Frederik but he hesitates and finally Mary jumps in to end the embarrassing silence.

Its been said many times, he HAS to work on his public speaking abilities.
I agree DoM. Frederik's hesitations and pauses are a problem for him. He needs to address this situation as it is clearly not improving.

By contrast I did notice during the Danish portion of "A Royal Family" Queen Margrethe and Prince Joachim were much more relaxed, comfortable and animated when speaking on camera in English.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 10-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
___________________


Here are some special pics: Mary and Frederik on a private walk in Soho yesterday:


** Danish Royals in SoHo ** Prince Frederik jokes around **
Is it me or do Mary and Fred look moody in the first pictures?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM
julliette's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 2,290
^^ I noticed that too, Lumutqueen. Specially Mary...
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 10-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Is it me or do Mary and Fred look moody in the first pictures?
Mary looks like she is cold. Not for the first time. She looked distinctly cold at the market as well. Typical, when your hands and feet are cold, you are shivering no matter what. - And you don't tend to smile that much either.
Well, if she was at home in DK today she would have frozen her ears off, dressed like that. The wind chill factor means it's down to near freezing.
It looks fairly warm in New York these days.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 10-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Mary looks like she is cold. Not for the first time. She looked distinctly cold at the market as well.
Well, if she was at home in DK today she would have frozen her ears off, dressed like that. The wind chill factor means it's down to near freezing.
It looks fairly warm in New York these days.
There's a cure for looking cold, wear warmer clothes. I would understand if Mary and Frederik looked moody due to intruding cameras but, as we see from later pictures, Frederik is quite happy to smile and joke with them.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 10-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
There's a cure for looking cold, wear warmer clothes. I would understand if Mary and Frederik looked moody due to intruding cameras but, as we see from later pictures, Frederik is quite happy to smile and joke with them.
You got that one right, Lumutqueen! - Buut people tend to forget the autumn cold is sneaking in on you, so they keep running around playing Tarzan. - Oh well, it keeps the doctors from starving...
- I was editing my post, while Lumutqueen was responding.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 10-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
You got that one right, Lumutqueen! - Buut people tend to forget the autumn cold is sneaking in on you, so they keep running around playing Tarzan. - Oh well, it keeps the doctors from starving...
- I was editing my post, while Lumutqueen was responding.
Oh the weather here is awful, I leave the house 6am so the weather is between 4-6'C, but by midday me in leggings, boots, thick long jumper and coat i'm boiling. We've just had a freak thunderstorm that arrived three days early. I suppose, weather being so unpredictable prepare for anything?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 10-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Naggi's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dusseldorf, Germany
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Not the best shoes for walking around Soho! Mary won't get far in those.
hahahaha...I thought the same Mirabel. But shoes are beautiful :-)
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 10-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Roskilde's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Roskilde, Denmark
Posts: 3,591
I'm new here on the TRF, or not actually "new", but I have not been very active here. But I have enjoyed following their trip here on the forum. It seems to me that it has been a successful visit and that their visit has been covered well. I really think Mary has looked so happy and lovely this week - I especially enjoyed the dancing images alot.

I thank you for all the photos and articles
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 PM
LadyGabrielle's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: kapaa, United States
Posts: 1,190
You would think being from Denmark she would be used to the cold. Thats odd. Anyway, I think she looks a little upset as well. I wonder what she was thinking other than maybe missing the children. Of course it could very well be the paparazzi They tend to get on anyones nerves!.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,204
I didn't think they looked moody at all, just a little cold:)

Thanks to everyone who actually got a chance to see them in NYC and post pictures. What a treat to see these and to hear your accounts.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 10-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 3,950
M&F in Tribeca

Here are the photos I took on M&F visit to Tribeca.
I was having enough trouble seeing them and trying to photograph them too, much less being able to talk to them, or even wave!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M&F Tribeca 001.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	280667   Click image for larger version

Name:	M&F Tribeca 002.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	280668   Click image for larger version

Name:	M&F Tribeca 003.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	280669   Click image for larger version

Name:	M&F Tribeca 004.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	280670  

Click image for larger version

Name:	M&F Tribeca 005.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	280671   Click image for larger version

Name:	M&F Tribeca 006.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	280672  
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Princely Couple Official Visit to Finland: October 22-23, 2013 fairy tale Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Family 12 10-27-2013 05:00 AM
Crown Princess Mary's Working Visit to New York: September 27-October 1, 2012 dazzling Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family 59 10-14-2012 07:25 AM
Working visit to New York by members of the JRF: September 17-24, 2011 Mademoiselle Lilo Royal House of Jordan 40 12-15-2011 07:37 PM
Crown Prince Couple visits New York - October 2010 Her_Majesty Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Family 23 10-31-2010 04:17 PM
Crown Princely Couple's Official Visit to Romania: October 8-9, 2007 Mandy Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family 80 10-11-2007 05:33 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit biography catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece haakon kate middleton king abdullah ii king abdullah in australia king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander madeleine member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess marie fashion princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises