The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
Normally American security takes precedence over foreign security whether in the US or overseas, i.e. Queen Margrethe would be protected by the State Department's Secret Service or NYPD (if in NY) while President Obama would be protected by the Secret Service when in Denmark even though Denmark provides excellent security for any visitor.

Does that make sense?
Yes, to some extent.
I noticed that PET provided close protection, while, as far as I could tell, uniformed NYPD and some civillian officers I've never noticed before acted like the next ring of protection.
Are foreign security officers allowed to be armed in New York/USA? If not, the task of the PET officers is slightly different, like when they visit Australia.

- I know this is trivial details, but it's that kind of details I often use as notes, when writing summaries and it genuinely interest me.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

Another question:
The white shirted officers in the background, are they school safety officers or NYPD?
Kronprinsparret på officielt besøg i New York - Børnene er vilde med Mary
Security at the Settlement House.
NYPD doesn't wear white shirts as part of their uniforms unless they are high up the hierarchy (as in Chief of 'so-and-so' Affairs, and thus wouldn't be personally providing protection)

Quote:
Yes, to some extent.
I noticed that PET provided close protection, while, as far as I could tell, uniformed NYPD and some civillian officers I've never noticed before acted like the next ring of protection.
Are foreign security officers allowed to be armed in New York/USA? If not, the task of the PET officers is slightly different, like when they visit Australia.

- I know this is trivial details, but it's that kind of details I often use as notes, when writing summaries and it genuinely interest me.
I don't know about other states but in NY they would be allowed to be armed if they satisfied permit requirements (which they obviously would). As you know, the United States rightly or wrongly guarantees the right to be armed no matter who you are, and as that has not been ruled unconstitutional yet in NY to my memory, it still stands.

For instance, and this is a bit off-topic, I found it interesting in the Danish tv drama 'Anna Pihl' that the constables had to lock their guns away at the end of their shifts. That was remarkable to me because many NYPD and, I assume other American officers, often take their guns home with them. They would probably think it was foolish to have to leave your weapon.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Majesty

Thank you for your great reply, American Dane

As for the Anna Pihl series, (I didn't watch it, but Mrs. Muhler gave me a very comprehensive summary, oh yes!) some Danish police officers take their pistol with them home. Depending on their jobs and so on, local police constables for example keep their weapon in their office, which is also their private home. They just have to store their weapon very securely. But most uniformed officers, if not all, simply lock their pistol away at the end of their shift.

There are of course ways to circumnavigate any prohibition against carrying firearms in a foreign country. They are simply granted diplomatic status and their weapons is then transported inside the country in the diplomatic luggage.
That is something FET agents often use. (This is supposed to be a kind of cloak-and-dagger-smiley).

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
I don't know about other states but in NY they would be allowed to be armed if they satisfied permit requirements (which they obviously would). As you know, the United States rightly or wrongly guarantees the right to be armed no matter who you are, and as that has not been ruled unconstitutional yet in NY to my memory, it still stands.

For instance, and this is a bit off-topic, I found it interesting in the Danish tv drama 'Anna Pihl' that the constables had to lock their guns away at the end of their shifts. That was remarkable to me because many NYPD and, I assume other American officers, often take their guns home with them. They would probably this it was foolish to have to leave your weapon.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Thank you for your great reply, American Dane

As for the Anna Pihl series, (I didn't watch it, but Mrs. Muhler gave me a very comprehensive summary, oh yes!) some Danish police officers take their pistol with them home. Depending on their jobs and so on, local police constables for example keep their weapon in their office, which is also their private home. They just have to store their weapon very securely. But most uniformed officers, if not all, simply lock their pistol away at the end of their shift.

There are of course ways to circumnavigate any prohibition against carrying firearms in a foreign country. They are simply granted diplomatic status and their weapons is then transported inside the country in the diplomatic luggage.
That is something FET agents often use. (This is supposed to be a kind of cloak-and-dagger-smiley).
Haha, and on that note, the US (and this might show my position on the matter) would more often than not actually recommend for foreign security to be armed. Gun crimes tend to be a problem in the States...
Old 10-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the wonderful pics and videos, all of you! Sasco, I really like the broad picture of the street with the bicycles in front and that's a wonderful closeup of Mary. And, Muhler, I was wondering who that poser was with Fred and Mary draping herself on Fred; that was too much. Thanks for the ID. The ones of the couple strolling the street looking like your normal urbanites are cute, especially with Fred clutching his coffee like a typical commuter. But, Mary, you need to be wearing sneakers or flats, the de rigueur footware for the city. As Mirabel says, you won't get far at all in those heels!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasco View Post
I was at the Aamann's opening in Tribeca today and Frederik and Mary couldn't have been cuter! They both looked great! Frederik is very handsome in person (nice suit!) and Mary looked lovely. I waved at them from outside the window and they BOTH waved back with little clandestine waves and smiles -- very sweet. Here are a few photos:
I ALSO saw them yesterday in Tribeca! After having to work Saturday and missing them, I was able to stop in NYC and they were very easy to spot! I got there for their entrance to the restaurant. There were about 10 photographers and 6 "fans" outside the restaurant. VERY low key, that's it and everyone was super well behaved. Three adorable young girls and their mother, most likely the owner, were outside to greet them.
Sasco, were you the one standing with the photographers, or did you just get there when they were leaving?
I was not prepared for how fashion model thin Mary is. As I saw her mostly from the side, I will try to post my 3 pix later, she seemed to almost disappear! The pictures mostly really do not portray it. Also, Fred is extrememly charismatic and comfortable with the cameras, something else that isn't usually conveyed. Her outfit, as one poster commented, really does not fit the Tribeca/SOHO area and she looked as if she was going to a cocktail party on the upper East Side of Manhattan. The singer was dressed in the downtown "uniform". I later walked a few blocks over to SoHo and saw their protection agents again, walking down Greene St. They were SO noticeable I started laughing. Tall and husky, blond crew cuts and cheap black suits with very loud colorful shirts that American men would never wear. I didn't see them again but they certainly wouldn't have blended in. SoHo was simply teeming with European tourists. Oh also, I recognized the DRF pr person, Lena Hallaby(sp?) on a smoking break before they arrived at the restaurant. She is very tall, at least 6 ft, and was wearing a form fitting grey dress and has a very slim killer figure! (but bad hair and no makeup).
Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasco View Post
I was at the Aamann's opening in Tribeca today and Frederik and Mary couldn't have been cuter! They both looked great! Frederik is very handsome in person (nice suit!) and Mary looked lovely. I waved at them from outside the window and they BOTH waved back with little clandestine waves and smiles -- very sweet. Here are a few photos:
Thank you for sharing your photos! I wanted to try and make it over there, but alas, was running late with errand-running. Glad you had a glimpse of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I ALSO saw them yesterday in Tribeca! After having to work Saturday and missing them, I was able to stop in NYC and they were very easy to spot! I got there for their entrance to the restaurant. There were about 10 photographers and 6 "fans" outside the restaurant. VERY low key, that's it and everyone was super well behaved. Three adorable young girls and their mother, most likely the owner, were outside to greet them.
Sasco, were you the one standing with the photographers, or did you just get there when they were leaving?
I was not prepared for how fashion model thin Mary is. As I saw her mostly from the side, I will try to post my 3 pix later, she seemed to almost disappear! The pictures mostly really do not portray it. Also, Fred is extrememly charismatic and comfortable with the cameras, something else that isn't usually conveyed. Her outfit, as one poster commented, really does not fit the Tribeca/SOHO area and she looked as if she was going to a cocktail party on the upper East Side of Manhattan. The singer was dressed in the downtown "uniform". I later walked a few blocks over to SoHo and saw their protection agents again, walking down Greene St. They were SO noticeable I started laughing. Tall and husky, blond crew cuts and cheap black suits with very loud colorful shirts that American men would never wear. I didn't see them again but they certainly wouldn't have blended in. SoHo was simply teeming with European tourists. Oh also, I recognized the DRF pr person, Lena Hallaby(sp?) on a smoking break before they arrived at the restaurant. She is very tall, at least 6 ft, and was wearing a form fitting grey dress and has a very slim killer figure! (but bad hair and no makeup).
So glad you got to see Frederik and Mary before they departed back home. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Courtier

I too would like to add my thanks to Sasco and Frelinghighness for sharing their pictures and experiences with us. As Muhler noted, it is nice to read about someone's experience firsthand without an editor's heavy hand (my words not Muhler's).
Old 10-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Because Frederik is so un-eloquent, Mary always appears to be pushy or wanting to outshine her husband when holding the main conversation, what is not the case.
Very often, there is a question that could easily be answered by Frederik but he hesitates and finally Mary jumps in to end the embarrassing silence.

Its been said many times, he HAS to work on his public speaking abilities.
I agree DoM. Frederik's hesitations and pauses are a problem for him. He needs to address this situation as it is clearly not improving.

By contrast I did notice during the Danish portion of "A Royal Family" Queen Margrethe and Prince Joachim were much more relaxed, comfortable and animated when speaking on camera in English.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Here are some special pics: Mary and Frederik on a private walk in Soho yesterday:

** Danish Royals in SoHo ** Prince Frederik jokes around **
Is it me or do Mary and Fred look moody in the first pictures?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^ I noticed that too, Lumutqueen. Specially Mary...
Old 10-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Is it me or do Mary and Fred look moody in the first pictures?
Mary looks like she is cold. Not for the first time. She looked distinctly cold at the market as well. Typical, when your hands and feet are cold, you are shivering no matter what. - And you don't tend to smile that much either.
Well, if she was at home in DK today she would have frozen her ears off, dressed like that. The wind chill factor means it's down to near freezing.
It looks fairly warm in New York these days.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Mary looks like she is cold. Not for the first time. She looked distinctly cold at the market as well.
Well, if she was at home in DK today she would have frozen her ears off, dressed like that. The wind chill factor means it's down to near freezing.
It looks fairly warm in New York these days.
There's a cure for looking cold, wear warmer clothes. I would understand if Mary and Frederik looked moody due to intruding cameras but, as we see from later pictures, Frederik is quite happy to smile and joke with them.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
There's a cure for looking cold, wear warmer clothes. I would understand if Mary and Frederik looked moody due to intruding cameras but, as we see from later pictures, Frederik is quite happy to smile and joke with them.
You got that one right, Lumutqueen! - Buut people tend to forget the autumn cold is sneaking in on you, so they keep running around playing Tarzan. - Oh well, it keeps the doctors from starving...
- I was editing my post, while Lumutqueen was responding.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
You got that one right, Lumutqueen! - Buut people tend to forget the autumn cold is sneaking in on you, so they keep running around playing Tarzan. - Oh well, it keeps the doctors from starving...
- I was editing my post, while Lumutqueen was responding.
Oh the weather here is awful, I leave the house 6am so the weather is between 4-6'C, but by midday me in leggings, boots, thick long jumper and coat i'm boiling. We've just had a freak thunderstorm that arrived three days early. I suppose, weather being so unpredictable prepare for anything?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Not the best shoes for walking around Soho! Mary won't get far in those.
hahahaha...I thought the same Mirabel. But shoes are beautiful :-)
Old 10-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm new here on the TRF, or not actually "new", but I have not been very active here. But I have enjoyed following their trip here on the forum. It seems to me that it has been a successful visit and that their visit has been covered well. I really think Mary has looked so happy and lovely this week - I especially enjoyed the dancing images alot.

I thank you for all the photos and articles
Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Serene Highness

You would think being from Denmark she would be used to the cold. Thats odd. Anyway, I think she looks a little upset as well. I wonder what she was thinking other than maybe missing the children. Of course it could very well be the paparazzi They tend to get on anyones nerves!.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't think they looked moody at all, just a little cold:)

Thanks to everyone who actually got a chance to see them in NYC and post pictures. What a treat to see these and to hear your accounts.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Heir Apparent

M&F in Tribeca

Here are the photos I took on M&F visit to Tribeca.
I was having enough trouble seeing them and trying to photograph them too, much less being able to talk to them, or even wave!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M&F Tribeca 001.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	280667   Click image for larger version

Name:	M&F Tribeca 002.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	280668   Click image for larger version

Name:	M&F Tribeca 003.jpg
Views:	95