Crown Princely Couple's Working Visit to New York and Boston: October 20-25, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ I noticed that too, Lumutqueen. Specially Mary...

Is it me or do Mary and Fred look moody in the first pictures?

Mary looks like she is cold. Not for the first time. She looked distinctly cold at the market as well. Typical, when your hands and feet are cold, you are shivering no matter what. - And you don't tend to smile that much either.
Well, if she was at home in DK today she would have frozen her ears off, dressed like that. The wind chill factor means it's down to near freezing. :penguin:
It looks fairly warm in New York these days.

Last edited:
Mary looks like she is cold. Not for the first time. She looked distinctly cold at the market as well.
Well, if she was at home in DK today she would have frozen her ears off, dressed like that. The wind chill factor means it's down to near freezing. :penguin:
It looks fairly warm in New York these days.

There's a cure for looking cold, wear warmer clothes. :flowers: I would understand if Mary and Frederik looked moody due to intruding cameras but, as we see from later pictures, Frederik is quite happy to smile and joke with them.

There's a cure for looking cold, wear warmer clothes. :flowers: I would understand if Mary and Frederik looked moody due to intruding cameras but, as we see from later pictures, Frederik is quite happy to smile and joke with them.

You got that one right, Lumutqueen! - Buut people tend to forget the autumn cold is sneaking in on you, so they keep running around playing Tarzan. - Oh well, it keeps the doctors from starving...
- I was editing my post, while Lumutqueen was responding.

You got that one right, Lumutqueen! - Buut people tend to forget the autumn cold is sneaking in on you, so they keep running around playing Tarzan. - Oh well, it keeps the doctors from starving...
- I was editing my post, while Lumutqueen was responding.

Oh the weather here is awful, I leave the house 6am so the weather is between 4-6'C, but by midday me in leggings, boots, thick long jumper and coat i'm boiling. We've just had a freak thunderstorm that arrived three days early. I suppose, weather being so unpredictable prepare for anything? :flowers:

I'm new here on the TRF, or not actually "new", but I have not been very active here. But I have enjoyed following their trip here on the forum. It seems to me that it has been a successful visit and that their visit has been covered well. I really think Mary has looked so happy and lovely this week - I especially enjoyed the dancing images alot.

I thank you for all the photos and articles :flowers:

You would think being from Denmark she would be used to the cold. Thats odd. Anyway, I think she looks a little upset as well. I wonder what she was thinking other than maybe missing the children. Of course it could very well be the paparazzi They tend to get on anyones nerves!.

I didn't think they looked moody at all, just a little cold:)

Thanks to everyone who actually got a chance to see them in NYC and post pictures. What a treat to see these and to hear your accounts.

M&F in Tribeca

Here are the photos I took on M&F visit to Tribeca.
I was having enough trouble seeing them and trying to photograph them too, much less being able to talk to them, or even wave!

Attachments

• M&F Tribeca 001.jpg
    M&F Tribeca 001.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 175
  • M&F Tribeca 002.jpg
    M&F Tribeca 002.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 168
  • M&F Tribeca 003.jpg
    M&F Tribeca 003.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 152
  • M&F Tribeca 004.jpg
    M&F Tribeca 004.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 165
  • M&F Tribeca 005.jpg
    M&F Tribeca 005.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 191
  • M&F Tribeca 006.jpg
    M&F Tribeca 006.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 162
Here are the photos I took on M&F visit to Tribeca.
I was having enough trouble seeing them and trying to photograph them too, much less being able to talk to them, or even wave!

Thank you for sharing. So happy that you were able to see them and take pictures.

Sasco, were you the one standing with the photographers, or did you just get there when they were leaving?

Yes -- I was standing near the photographers when they arrived and when they departed. While they were inside, I was off to the side speaking to a very nice Danish woman whose daughter was a journalist covering the event inside. She's the one who introduced me to the owners of the restaurant after the event. I also chatted with a Danish reporter who explained to me who Medina was. He mentioned that Medina is a big star in Denmark. She played two songs with an acoustic guitar and she sounded great.

I also noticed how thin Mary is. She looks really good, but her slimness is remarkable considering she gave birth to twins this year. In general, Frederik and Mary seemed very nice, low-key, happy and excited to be in New York. It wasn't very cold that day and they didn't wear coats when they arrived. Hopefully they have a day or two to enjoy the city privately before they go home since there's so much to see and do. ( I noticed their next event in Denmark isn't until Monday).

Frehlinghighness, too bad we didn't get to meet at the event. LMK if you want to meet up to compare notes once Aamann's opens in December!

Frelinghighness, too bad we didn't get to meet at the event. LMK if you want to meet up to compare notes once Aamann's opens in December!
Sounds like a great idea! I should have introduceed myself, since there were so few of us non-journalists there but I was defintely worried about operating my camera and dealing with my small overnight bag!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a really nice visit to follow, I do like seeing them on abroad visits whether official or not and it was great seeing quite a lot of joint events of the couple. Frederik & Mary both looked very relaxed on the trip even though they had a busy agenda. It was also nice seeing them have some free time and not only official events.

You would think being from Denmark she would be used to the cold. Thats odd.

Actually, she's not really "from" Denmark. And having a few aussie family members, I know that they are chronically cold when in just slightly colder climates than New South Wales.

I have no idea as to what the royals know about NY, but I often find myself surprised that the temperature is so "volatile". Heat in the summer and surprising cold in the autumn (or so is my perception). It's not unlikely that the roylas were expecting something a bit warmer - and with Mary being aussie and all, that she's freezing.

In Denmark, I've often seen women wearing way less that Mary is in these pictures in a lot colder weather - and bearing the cold surprisingly graceful, even if their clothes were not.

I don't know the temperature in New York but I thought Mary was very cold in some pictures, she was with a no sleeves blouse and just with a jacket she was cold!!:cool:

Actually, she's not really "from" Denmark.

She's lived in Denmark for how long 8 years? It's not like she's a part time Danish and spends half the year when it's warm in Hobart. Mary should be used to cold weather and know how to dress appropriately to stop herself looking cold or moody in front of cameras.

The change in temp can be quick & even if you are used to living in a cooler or colder region, it can still surprise you. Where I live the weather is just changing from autumn to the winter chill but its hard to know which coat to wear by looking outside. 1c last week felt warmer than it was yesterday. Mary probably dressed for one temp, and the weather cooled down. Plus being in a city with tall buildings makes for some cold drafts when the wind picks up.

Actually, she's not really "from" Denmark. And having a few aussie family members, I know that they are chronically cold when in just slightly colder climates than New South Wales.

I have no idea as to what the royals know about NY, but I often find myself surprised that the temperature is so "volatile". Heat in the summer and surprising cold in the autumn (or so is my perception). It's not unlikely that the roylas were expecting something a bit warmer - and with Mary being aussie and all, that she's freezing.

In Denmark, I've often seen women wearing way less that Mary is in these pictures in a lot colder weather - and bearing the cold surprisingly graceful, even if their clothes were not.

With relation to Australian weather - especially the southern states like Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania - the wind levels must also be taken into account. That is what boosts up the chill factor here, because we are surrounded by the ocean and near Antarctica. People can feel colder here in Melbourne when it's 15°C and windy, then when it's 10°C and not windy. My father was in Europe two Christmases ago, and despite feet of snow during his entire trip and being around -25°C, he said that it wasn't that cold - because there was not a lot of wind.

From the pictures, it looks windy in SoHo that day - making it colder than expected.

But I wouldn't say that Australians are chronically cold when the climate is colder then New South Wales - especially considering NSW is a middle-coast state! ;) Are we used to cold weather? Most definately, but it's not a chronic issue.

One would also assume that after being in Denmark for nearly a decade, Mary has acclimatised to colder temperatures this time of year.

I tend to agree. When one is on tour in a foreign country, one will always be in under the light of the press, so it is vital to keep the "right" pose at all times without moody lapses. Mary should know this by now as well as appropriate dress for the climate.

Last edited:
She's lived in Denmark for how long 8 years? It's not like she's a part time Danish and spends half the year when it's warm in Hobart. Mary should be used to cold weather and know how to dress appropriately to stop herself looking cold or moody in front of cameras.

Yeah, I know. But I think the Australian weather gets in your blood.

When one is on tour in a foreign country, one will always be in under the light of the press, so it is vital to keep the "right" pose at all times without moody lapses. Mary should know this by now as well as appropriate dress for the climate.

But that can still be a challenge.

An associate of mine was in France last week in a caravan. She said it was "shorts weather. Although the ones caravanning 100 m down the hill had to wear their winter clothes".

As mentioned, wind has a lot to say. And that can surprise you, not only from day to day, but from one corner of a building to the next! Or there's a slight delay leaving Mary in a windy direction for a minute longer than expected!

Point taken. Packing can be an absolute nightmare more especially when one is going to be constantly in the spotlight.

I find this picture of a smiling Mary from the same day at the same place - their private visit in Soho. And since Mary and Frederik have seen really happy and relaxed on this trip, these few pictures do not worry me. :flowers:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2drgpy1.jpg

I find this picture of a smiling Mary from the same day at the same place - their private visit in Soho. And since Mary and Frederik have seen really happy and relaxed on this trip, these few pictures do not worry me. :flowers:

Can you see my pictures when I upload this way? :confused:

Thank you for sharing. I love her smile in your shot.

I don't think she looks moody...she's just got her 'New York/SoHO' face on...she's just trying to look like everyone else around her ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom