Crown Princely Couple's 'Dannebrog' Tour of Jutland: August 22-26, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Muhler, always enjoy your history telling. From the interior pics that I have seen of the Dannebrog she needs an upgrade of furnishings to bring her into line with 2011 tastes. Obviously the discussion of money may inhibit this. But I would like to see an upgrade for this beautiful ship. All my friends love the pics of the Dannebrog as a private yacht. But she does do a lot of entertaining - of and for Danes and an upgrade would be appropiate. These yachts from the 1930's are graceful looking and I am delighted that yours has been looked after so well over the years.

:castle3::castle3:Muhler, thank you so very much for the information on the tour and yacht.

The pictures of the babies are indeed very sweet.
Vincent and Josephine have such cute 'chubby chops' and watchful, alert eyes.
They seem to be taking in the view of the crowd.

I love the photo of the twins spying each other whilst wearing their matching woolley hooded jackets.
What a delightful two-some to come home to each night.

I bet their older brother and sister are looking forward to their return.

The third day has started early for Crown Prince Frederik, he arrived at 6:30 am at the fish auction office
of Hanstholm today, August 24, and attended the fish auction at the harbour. Besides this no other official
events are planned for today.

** nyhederne.tv2.dk video: Morgenfrisk kronprins solgte jomfruhummere **

And here's a second ppe gallery from yesterday including CP Mary's visit at a kindergarten:

** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
Yes Muhler, always enjoy your history telling. From the interior pics that I have seen of the Dannebrog she needs an upgrade of furnishings to bring her into line with 2011 tastes. Obviously the discussion of money may inhibit this. But I would like to see an upgrade for this beautiful ship. All my friends love the pics of the Dannebrog as a private yacht. But she does do a lot of entertaining - of and for Danes and an upgrade would be appropiate. These yachts from the 1930's are graceful looking and I am delighted that yours has been looked after so well over the years.
You are welcome Tarita, Emmily & Juliette.

Perhaps. She'll probably need a major overhaul within the next twenty years or so. But I think any refurnishing will have to wait until QMII has left the bridge, it's after all very much her ship.
It could be interesting to see what M&F would do with Dannebrog's interiour in regards to a mixture of traditional and modern furnishing and decoration. - It certainly worked with their new home.

__
And here's a second ppe gallery from yesterday including CP Mary's visit at a kindergarten:
** ppe gallery **

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:
Interesting!
It's very unusual for Mary to be accompanied on the job by an adjutant.
It's also a very "correct and official" way to do things.
So far we are used to seeing her LiW hovering in the background. I wonder if we from now on will get used to seeing an adjutant as well? Perhaps in particular in connection with official visits like this, where all flags are flying.

As far as I could tell, neither Frederik nor Mary were accompanied by Dannebrog's captain in his capacity as an adjutant. Being the Monarch's personal captain, the captain also outranks all other adjutants. - But I guess there should still be a difference between M&F and the Regent Couple after all, eh? - Well, I'm pleased to say I was proven wrong. Look a couple of post further ahead.

Last edited:

The third day has started early for Crown Prince Frederik, he arrived at 6:30 am at the fish auction office
of Hanstholm today, August 24, and attended the fish auction at the harbour. Besides this no other official
events are planned for today.

** nyhederne.tv2.dk video: Morgenfrisk kronprins solgte jomfruhummere **

Here are the first two pictures via day life

Pic 1 ** Pic 2

bt.dk picture gallery of Frederik at the auction

and the first article and picture of Frederik at the auction this morning by BB.
Translated article

Last edited:
I think the babies must have had a rough night as Fredrik looks a little disheveled:nonono:
I just wander does any one have any vague guess what this must cost? I think its wonderful for the Danes to see their Royals like this, but like I said before, it must take some work and money to pull this off!!!:previous:

Great photos again of day two. Thanks to those who posted.
Vincent and Josephine looks so very cute in their hooded jackets, and seem to be very contented and happy babies, they have lovely bright eyes. Mary and Frederik are extremly proud parents.
These tours are very popular, judging by the number of people that come to greet them.
Mary certainly loves animals she always finds one to connect with no matter where she is.

I think the babies must have had a rough night as Fredrik looks a little disheveled:nonono:
I just wander does any one have any vague guess what this must cost? I think its wonderful for the Danes to see their Royals like this, but like I said before, it must take some work and money to pull this off!!!:previous:

As you pointed out yourself such a visit means a lot for the locals as you can tell from the turnout. It's extremely difficult to put a specific amount on the value of such a visit, which is essentially a celebration of a town with the pr focus that entails.

I can't put an amount of the cost of the ship and crew either, because I haven't got the info.
The ship is crewed mainly by conscripts, who in this way get some practical sailing experience. And serving onboard Dannebrog give extra credits should they ever join the navy as professionels or enter another part of the maritime business.
The alternative is that they either don't serve onboard a ship, while being conscripts or that they serve onboard a warship in Danish waters where nothing will happen. Because the ships send out on international missions are manned exclusively by professionals and the crews serving in the North Atlantic and around Greenland needs to be of a very high quality as well. It is for real up there!
While serving onboard Dannebrog they do something useful and that is more cost beneficial than sailing onboard a patrolling warship near to home. - The Navy Home Guard can do that just as well, better in fact and cheaper.
Another matter is accommodation. It's not just M&F who sleep onboard Dannebrog, it's also their staff and PET officers.
The alternative is either to fly or drive M&F and their staff every morning from Copenhagen to Northern Jutland and back again late in the evening. That aint cheap either.
Or to house them in a local hotel and drive and fly them to a new town every morning and back in the evening. Again, not the cheapest option. - And that also require 24 hour police protection.
Dannebrog also enables the DRF to be on stage for twelve hours, because from 22.00 in the evening when the ship sails, they can go a few steps, put their feet up and go: "Phew, home and alone at last". Otherwise they wouldn't be home in Copenhagen before around midnight at the earliest.
And they know that until 10.00 the next day they are at home and alone if they want to. I'm sure that means a lot mentally.

Danneborg herself is stylish and anyone who has ever seen her entering a harbour with members of the DRF onboard knows how huge a crowd pleaser she is. It cannot be compared to the DRF arriving in Rolls Royce or a helicopter.
Royalty is after all very much about showmanship.
More than anything else Dannebrog stirs a feeling of pride, a sense of belonging, a sense of history and even a sense of patriotism, even though that's a very strong word.
You can be a hardcore republican and still feel delight in watching Dannebrog, because it's beautiful spectacle.

It's very difficult to a price tag on something like that, something that is basically about emotions.

Last edited:
Thanks Muhler for the details.
The Dannebrog is certainly beautiful , I would like to spend a few days on her.

Muhler, you give us great history and we really appreciate you and your knowledge! THANK YOU

Thanks Muhler for the details.
The Dannebrog is certainly beautiful , I would like to spend a few days on her.

It would be nice if she sailed to Australia sometime. But that's a long journey for an old ship.

Who knows? Perhaps when Frederik has become king. It wouldn't be such a big deal cost wise, because the pr-value would be very big. Especially if it was turned into an entire tour with Dannebrog visiting say, Australia, Vietnam, China, Japan and so on.
We can hope and dream.

Thank you, Rubies, I blush.

Last edited:
It would be nice if she sailed to Australia sometime. But that's a long journey for an old ship.

Who knows? Perhaps when Frederik has become king. It wouldn't be such a big deal cost wise, because the pr-value would be very big. Especially if it was turned into an entire tour with Dannebrog visiting say, Australia, Vietnam, China, Japan and so on.
We can hope and dream.

Thank you, Rubies, I blush.

That would be fantastic!

OMG those faces! Those are the best pics of the twins! I just love them!THanks Marika86

OMG! Those babies are so squeezable!

I guess this belongs here after all: Billed-Bladet - Mary og Frederik om Maries graviditet: Det er en rigtig god nyhed

It appears M&F have been sightseeing on their own or visiting someone. Whatever they were doing they were away from Dannebrog for five hours. The yacht is presently anchored outside Hanstholm harbour.
Our BB reporter caught them just prior to boarding a Navy Home Guard vessel, Jupiter, which would sail them back to Dannebrog.
And this is what they had to say about our Marie's pregnancy:
F: "It's really good news".
M: "We are very glad on their behalf".

And a little treat Foto af kongeligt besøg i Thy - Bertel Bolt Kommunikation
Some HQ pics of M&F visiting Thisted.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! Those babies are so squeezable!

Squeezable, kissable, pickable at, kissable again... Looking at these tiny, adorable creatures, i can't stop thinking how frail and precious the human being is and how one keeps forgetting it. Babies have that ability to remind us of our original inocence. All babies have this ability, but these two... Uhf, uhf, i so could kiss cheeks right now!!!

No events today for the couple except for Ferderik in the morning?

A casual-looking Frederik. Looks like he's having a good time.

Indeed. Frederik seems to feel right at home among people, who just like himself, appear to have a close relationship with their pockets. :p

Indeed. Frederik seems to feel right at home among people, who just like himself, appear to have a close relationship with their pockets. :p

I don't know a lot about this couple (however, these threads are helping a great deal). They strike me as rather easy-going. This picture shows that (well, at least with Frederik, though I have no doubt that Mary is similar).

The twins are very cute, nice they are pictured them we can see how they grow up very fast!!!

Tarlita - Where can I see pictures of the interiors? I looked for them yesterday but couldn't find any! Thanks!

Boy...is this family beautiful or what??? I can't look at these pictures without feeling that they are truly graceful, sweet, and clever...Prince Frederik transmits a real sensitivity, I think. I think Princess Mary and he are great partners for each other.

These are really some of the most beautiful pictures of them that I've seen recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom