Crown Prince Frederik's Old Girlfriends

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it true Frederik was still in a relationship with Bettina Oedum when he met Mary in the Slip Inn in 2000? I always presumed he was single at the time.

The police is searching for Tena Windelev, a former fling of Frederik's.
Kronprinsens eks-kæreste forsvundet: Stadig intet spor at Tena - Krimi | www.bt.dk

I can hardly remember Tena Windelev. IIRC she was a fling he met briefly while studying in USA and he dumped her after a short period. I believe she couldn't keep her mouth shut - whatever.

She was a fledging model at the time but became an addict of alcohol and drugs as well and her live went completely down the drain. She ended up in a homeless shelter.
She is now a recovering alcoholic, but she hasn't been heard from for eight days now, so the police is looking for her. - She is not considered suicidal.

ADDED: She has been found and she's fine.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
On the one hand, Frederik and Bettina only broke up in March 2001
Fairytale royal romance ends

when they were already an item?
Mary from the start: Discovered by the Danish press

Nice find.

I don't know how these things work - but Ødum might have been "off" Frederik for some time. The relationships of Frederik were always unofficial and perhaps even the girls weren't always aware of they were in or out.
The reply from Ødum in the article could be a decent way to get out of Frederik's hair - althoug it may have been reality for some time beforehand and only now did the occation arrive to sort of publizise it.

Looking at the other relationships Frederik has had, he seems on reasonably good terms with his ex's. Could be that the court "has a word" of sorts with the women - or maybe they are just intelligent and decent enough to let go.

I don't know how these things work - but Ødum might have been "off" Frederik for some time. The relationships of Frederik were always unofficial and perhaps even the girls weren't always aware of they were in or out.
The reply from Ødum in the article could be a decent way to get out of Frederik's hair - althoug it may have been reality for some time beforehand and only now did the occation arrive to sort of publizise it.
Years ago, I read somewhere (book? interview?), that the relationship ended in January, before Frederik went down to Australia to meet Mary for the second time.
Don't know if it's true, of course.

Thanks. It's all just guessing on our part of course.

I always assumed that when Fred&Mary met that first night at the Slipp In 'something' happened, so the relationship with Bettina must have already been so-so at that point. I hadn't thought about it before. I believed Fred to be single in 2000.

Frederik actually proposed to Katja in 1995, and she said yes, but kept it a secret for some time, because the royal family didn't approve of her.
The law in Denmark says that the Queen or King has to approve the marriage, If an heir to the crown is going to marry someone. Otherwise he or she will lose hit/her right to be king/queen - and so will their kids.
He first told his grandma the former queen Ingrid about it, and she was okay with it, but when he told the The Queen she said no. This made Frederik very sad/angry, and as a result of it, he cheated on Katja with Maria Montell - which led to Katja breaking up with him.

The problem with Katja was not her personality, that she wasn't royal or anything like that - but the simple fact that she was danish. In Denmark there is an unwritten law saying that members of the royal family (especially the crown princess / crown prince ) can't merry a dane. The Queen has stated that everybody has a past but if you marry someone from eg. Australia, the past doesn't walk around in the streets with you.

There is a danish article about it here:
Tomorrows crowned heads: ♔ Det vigtigste er, at han er glad ♔

Frederik actually proposed to Katja in 1995, and she said yes, but kept it a secret for some time, because the royal family didn't approve of her.
The law in Denmark says that the Queen or King has to approve the marriage, If an heir to the crown is going to marry someone. Otherwise he or she will lose hit/her right to be king/queen - and so will their kids.
He first told his grandma the former queen Ingrid about it, and she was okay with it, but when he told the The Queen she said no. This made Frederik very sad/angry, and as a result of it, he cheated on Katja with Maria Montell - which led to Katja breaking up with him.

The problem with Katja was not her personality, that she wasn't royal or anything like that - but the simple fact that she was danish. In Denmark there is an unwritten law saying that members of the royal family (especially the crown princess / crown prince ) can't merry a dane. The Queen has stated that everybody has a past but if you marry someone from eg. Australia, the past doesn't walk around in the streets with you.

There is a danish article about it here:
Tomorrows crowned heads: ♔ Det vigtigste er, at han er glad ♔

Congratulations on your first post. :flowers:

I don't think it's the fact that Katja was Danish or even Katja herself, that was the issue.
I happen to know her family and also Katja, albeit on a limited basis. (DK is a small country). But certainly well enough!
Let me put it like this: It is good, very good, that Frederik did not marry Katja.

And that is all I will ever say on this matter on a forum like this.

Yes, very welcome Marlene and congratulations on your first post :flowers:

But oh, please don't bring the famous Trine Willeman's nonsense and conspiracy theories about the royal family with you.

I don't think it's the fact that Katja was Danish or even Katja herself, that was the issue.
I happen to know her family and also Katja, albeit on a limited basis. (DK is a small country). But certainly well enough!
Let me put it like this: It is good, very good, that Frederik did not marry Katja.

The PAST can be anywhere. In the streets or anywhere in the world. That's a stupid law. That's the royal family less Danish i know.

The PAST can be anywhere. In the streets or anywhere in the world. That's a stupid law. That's the royal family less Danish i know.

I think you misunderstood Malenemalene's post as well as my response.
There is no law prohibiting members of the DRF, let alone the heir, from marrying Danes.
The most common thing over the centuries was for the heirs to marry foreigners - for political and dynastic reasons.

Somewhere, I saw a brief discussion concerning a weekend party that QMII gave so Frederik could meet some young ladies from other noble houses before he became engaged to Mary. If it was on this forum, could someone direct me to the proper thread?

Both Katja Storkholm and Maria Montell were photographed on quite official events - given that Frederik is wearing the order of the Elephant. So, that seemed to have been quite serious for them to join him to an official event. What events were they and how long had they been together when the event happened?

Edit: according to this blogpost Frederik and Maria were in a relationship for about 2 years around 1999, so that sounds as if they had broken up not that long before Frederik met Mary. Good to see that they are still friends (or at least were friends in 2009).

I think Bettina Odum also accompanied Frederik to some event.
But yes, relationships with Katja Storkholm, Maria Montell and Bettina Odum must have been Frederik's most serious relationships before meeting Mary Donaldson.

Last edited:
I think these pictures of Frederik with the order of the elephant and girlfriends are at various weddings. So private not official events.

Wow. Must have been bad huh?

I’m new to this forum, so I’m still attempting to navigate how this works lol. Being that I am from America, I just found out about the Danish Royal family. From what I’ve been finding out, they are amazing :)

It is interesting to read about all his old flames before he met Mary. I did read somewhere that QMII did not approve of their relationship and encouraged him to find another girl of royalty in particular, but he was deeply in love with Mary. I just can’t remember the article name. I think it was a weekend on a ship? If someone can direct me to it that would be great!

Very interesting insight about Katja, Muhler. ?

Welcome. :flowers:

I can very clearly say that QMII expecting Frederik to find a royal girl is not true.
That must have been something some journalist made up.

Two reasons:

QMII's parents tried to set her up with suitable royal bachelors when she was young - and she did not appreciate it! (She said that in a TV-portrait. Can't remember which one, but I can still se her face, telling that story.)

The second reason is from a press conference from the early 90's or late 80', where a journalist (I believe it was Bodil Cath from BT) asked whether Frederik's future girlfriends should be blue-blooded, to which QMII flattened her by laughingly retorting that they didn't want a blood-sample...
I may find that question on YouTube.

I did read somewhere that QMII did not approve of their relationship and encouraged him to find another girl of royalty in particular, but he was deeply in love with Mary. I just can’t remember the article name.

Perhaps that part is from that Australian movie about Frederik and Mary's romance? ;)

From an interview with Mary in 2004, short excerpt and google trans:

"- It was at Amalienborg that I met the Queen for the first time. She respected and understood the importance of keeping the development of our relationship completely to ourselves. She could see that it was serious ... Had the meeting been negative, I have no idea what had happened. "

Which means, Mary got the "green light" at the first meeting which was spring/early 2002.

Thank you both for the speedy replies :)

I also read an excerpt from Fred’s book “Under the Beam” (thanks to Muhler) that the first meeting was very impressive, and that Queen Ingrid would approve.

I thought the book was very interesting, and was very happy it was translated into English :)

I also read that Fred was dead set on marrying Katja. I wonder what would have happened if he did indeed marry her and then met Mary? Hmmmm

Sitting here on a grey afternoon where I live in America, I must say it is interesting to learn about different royals/ with Frederick and Mary being my favs!?

I also read that Fred was dead set on marrying Katja. I wonder what would have happened if he did indeed marry her and then met Mary? Hmmmm

Well, he didn't and I think he and Denmark can be grateful that he eventually met Mary instead.
Marrying Katja, is a what-if that is discussed on a TRF forum in an alternative universe, and let us leave them discuss to their hearts desire there, eh. ;)
It would only be speculations anyway.

Katja married and divorced an attorney. Her father is fairly recently dead, I understand.

Interesting.

Although you did say, and it was underlined that it was great that Frederick did not Mary Katja. I wonder what happened there?

They decided to break up, for reasons we can only speculate about.

I know some first hand details about Katja and her family, but I will not go into any further details.
That would be inappropriate and unfair towards Frederik and towards Katja and her family.
It's in the past, let us leave it there.

And with that I think that particular subject has reached the end of the line.
There are as you point out many, many other things to discuss in regards to the DRF. ?

Oh no, it wasn’t my intention to go into any details. I’m sorry if you took it that way.

YES!!!! Did I say she was fantastic???? I don’t mean to bring up the past. The past is the past. The way F and M met is an absolute fairy tale

Oh no, it wasn’t my intention to go into any details. I’m sorry if you took it that way.

I didn't. ?
But discussing what is basically unverifiable gossip, is very much frowned upon here. And that's good, we try to keep TRF informative and factual.

Back
Top Bottom