Crown Prince Frederik's Full Title

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

politikgirl

Aristocracy
City
Toronto
Country
Canada
I was just wondering what CP Frederik's full title is. Does he have any secondary titles like the ones they have in Sweden (CP Victoria, the Duchess of Vastergotland) or are the Danish royal family titles more along the lines of Norway, where there don't seem to be any secondary titles (but correct me if I'm wrong)?

Frederik's full title is: Frederik André Henrik Christian, Hans Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsen, Prins til Danmark

Frederik André Henrik Christian, His Royal Highness the Crown Prince, Prince to Denmark.

There are no secondary titles in Denmark, like there are in Sweden.

Though, I'm a bit curious about Prince Henrik's "Comte de Monpezat" title - in this regard.

Last edited:
Thanks! I had a hunch that was it, but I wasn't too sure. Thanks for the info. :D

According to Wikipedia, Prince Henrik is "Comte de Monzepat" because it was his title before marriage. Here's what Wikipedia says:

The Laborde de Monpezat family style themselves as "Counts", though their right to the use of the title ‘Count’ is at best, disputed: Pierre-Marie Dioudonnat's Encyclopédie de la fausse noblesse et de la noblesse d'apparence (p. 208) states that Jean de Laborde received letters of ennoblement in 1655, conditional on his reception in the Estates of the province, and this condition was never fulfilled. The "count" title is thus essentially a "courtesy title", meaning an usurped title that is allowed in social intercourse.

politikgirl said:
Thanks! I had a hunch that was it, but I wasn't too sure. Thanks for the info. :D

According to Wikipedia, Prince Henrik is "Comte de Monzepat" because it was his title before marriage. Here's what Wikipedia says:

The Laborde de Monpezat family style themselves as "Counts", though their right to the use of the title ‘Count’ is at best, disputed: Pierre-Marie Dioudonnat's Encyclopédie de la fausse noblesse et de la noblesse d'apparence (p. 208) states that Jean de Laborde received letters of ennoblement in 1655, conditional on his reception in the Estates of the province, and this condition was never fulfilled. The "count" title is thus essentially a "courtesy title", meaning an usurped title that is allowed in social intercourse.

Is Henrik the oldest male of his family, because if he isn't, he cannot be styled as Count of Monpezat and thus Frederik wouldn't be able to have the title either (well it doesn't matter much since one day he'll be King;) )

Will Fred inherent his fathers titles. I have a question about titles in general. How do they work in Denmark. Are there still Nobel Families and what kind of titles are there?

If Comte de Monzepat is really just a courtesy title used in social intercourse according to Wikipedia, then I guess it won't matter much if Frederik inherits it since he won't use it on a social basis anyway. I don't know if Henrik is the eldest sibling - does anyone know? It would be interesting if Frederik actually did inherit this title - because then would it be merged with the crown upon Frederik's sucession and after his father's death and one day be given to Prince Christian? I had never thought about Frederik inheriting Henrik's title(s) - what an interesting point.

Great question about Danish nobility, Princejohnny25. I really don't know any Danish noble titles other than Count/Countess and I don't really know how they work.

Last edited:
As far as I know, there are two kinds of counts in Denmark. Landgreve and Greve. The Landgreve is closest to a British earl, they're the head of the family and the inheritance passes to the eldest son (I think). Younger sons are styled simply Greve which is often translated into Count but they're closer in rank to the younger sons of an Earl who are styled Honorable.

ysbel said:
As far as I know, there are two kinds of counts in Denmark. Landgreve and Greve. The Landgreve is closest to a British earl, they're the head of the family and the inheritance passes to the eldest son (I think). Younger sons are styled simply Greve which is often translated into Count but they're closer in rank to the younger sons of an Earl who are styled Honorable.

It may happen with Danish titles, but the Monpezat title is French so what happens when a danish prince has it?
Also, the Monpezat family is one of the oldest in France and is descendant of the merovingian dynasty who ruled France in the Early Middle Ages (before the cruzades)

I'm surprised Henrik didn't have to give up his French title upon marriage, as some royals do when marrying other royals. If Frederik did inherit the title, it would definitely be strange to see a King Frederik of Denmark with a French count title.

Did Henrik give up his French Citizenship? France recognizes french noble titles as long as they are french citizens. If he gave up his citizenship then his title is just a courtesy title and will end with him. I want to know more about his family history and the history behind the title. I too wonder if he is the oldest in the family.

Good point. I'm pretty sure Henrik had to give up his French citizenship upon marriage to Margrethe, and you're probably right about the title being something that will end with him... so to bring this back to the Crown Prince... Frederik will probably not be inheriting the title. All is well - he doesn't need another title anyway. ;)

HRH Prince Henrik gave up his French citizenship when he married. According to the official website of the Danish monarchy, the official title of the Prince Consort is "Henrik, His Royal Highness the Prince Consort". Thus, the Prince Consort's countship is not part of his official title. The website does however state that he was born Henri Marie Jean André comte de Laborde de Monpezat, but does not include this in his present title.

norwegianne said:
There are no secondary titles in Denmark, like there are in Sweden
Secondary titles are not used much in Denmark, but Her Majesty the Queen did grant the title of "Countess of Frederiksborg" to her former daughter-in-law, HH Princess Alexandra on her 65th birthday. This is, however a personal title, so I do not know if it will count as a secondary title!

/Lasse Pedersen

His official title in Danish is "Hans Kongelige Højhed Kronprins Frederik af Danmark, Greve af Monpezat (His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, Count of Monpezat)".

Did Henrik give up his French Citizenship? France recognizes french noble titles as long as they are french citizens. If he gave up his citizenship then his title is just a courtesy title and will end with him. I want to know more about his family history and the history behind the title. I too wonder if he is the oldest in the family.
The Wikipedia article on Prince Consort Henrik indicates he had two younger brothers. Can it be concluded Henrik is the eldest son?

Back
Top Bottom