Crown Prince Frederik's 50th Birthday Celebrations: May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What did the Queen mean in her speech, "On Monday you have all of Denmark to manage"?

Just watched Mary’s speech. Although, I couldn’t understand a lot of it, I can tell it was funny and moving. Frederik’s tears are flowing.

That's it, the show is over.

More tomorrow evening.

And the award for the most beautiful speech ever goes to:

MARY!:wub::in_love:

Does Margrethe now wear some sort of hearing device? It seems she was cupping her ear as she was listening to Mary's speech, which was lovely, both the speech and the act of actively listening to Mary, because QM could've totally stopped and just read along in the program.

Also, what a way to end the show.

What did the Queen mean in her speech, "On Monday you have all of Denmark to manage"?

It should be: "Monday you made all of Denmark run."

Google isn't perfect. ;)

A better translation of that part of her speech was 'on Monday you had all of Denmark running with you' referring to the Royal Run last Monday.

What an amazing speech from CP Mary :wub: Just so emotional, and what an ending. Hearing Lis sing and then Mary's speech! ?

Agree - speech of the night goes to Crown Princess Mary (although they were all good)

Does Margrethe now wear some sort of hearing device? It seems she was cupping her ear as she was listening to Mary's speech, which was lovely, both the speech and the act of actively listening to Mary, because QM could've totally stopped and just read along in the program.

Also, what a way to end the show.

Queen Margrethe has worn hearing aids for quite a few years now but I have to admit it's the first time I've seen her cupping her ear like that in order to listen.

http://hearinghealthmatters.org/hearinginternational/2015/the-royal-danish-hearing-loss/

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - Crown Princess Mary gave an amazing speech. What an ending! Frederik looked like he was on the verge of tears at various points. She really loves her Frederik, that much is clear.

I hope a transcript is posted.

Wow - Crown Princess Mary gave an amazing speech. What an ending! Frederik looked like he was on the verge of tears at various points. She really loves her Frederik, that much is clear.

I hope a transcript is posted.

Frederik is a very emotional man. We never see public displays of emotion like that in the British royal family for example.

It is nice, but it can reinforce a perception of immaturity which has plagued him since he was a young man (which he is not anymore BTW).

Forgive the long post :)

The song in Danish with english lyrics

I see them come
See them leave
for a moment

from the moment they are born
until they are longing to leave
for a moment

Eyes that become
so vacant
it does not matter what you say

another sailor mother's son
Sailor and sailing
Packing up his gear and saying a prayer
Sailor and sailing
Going away and finding his reward

There where fortune turns around
rainbows end
until you are finally holding the treasure
in your hands
a treasure chest full
full of gold which blinds every fool

full of the stars of night
full of all the shooting stars in the sky

I see them come
See them leave
for a moment

and these days are like years
from this moment
and nights that become
darkness no matter how much you stare

another sailor mother's son
Sailor and sailing
Packing up his gear and saying a prayer
Sailor and sailing
Going away and finding his reward

There where fortune turns around
rainbows end
until you are finally holding the treasure
in your hands
a treasure chest full
full of gold which blinds every fool

Muhler, thank you for the link to the lyrics, I didn't even think about it, lol! :)
I can always handle more F&M romance :wub:

Last edited:
Frederik is a very emotional man. We never see public displays of emotion like that in the British royal family for example.

It is nice, but it can reinforce a perception of immaturity which has plagued him since he was a young man (which he is not anymore BTW).

No it doesn't. Oh, please....Seriously...

The man is listening to a speech like that and is "immature" because he gets emotional.

This is Denmark and this has nothing to do with the British royal family.

We have seen some displays of emotion by the BRF, most recently last Saturday.:whistling:

That is an old fashioned macho attitude to think a man must keep all his emotions buried and hidden. It is a sign of an modern evolved man to show and express emotion.

That's disappointing. I've never understood that. It takes a great deal of maturity to understand your feelings, allow yourself to feel them, and remain composed.

We have seen some displays of emotion by the BRF, most recently last Saturday.:whistling:

They didn't quite shed tears in public, did they ?

Take the sailor's song for example. Yes, the lyrics were appropriate, but Frederik seemed to overreact to them, unless the song has some unknown deeper meaning to him which we don't know (and that's why I asked).

Last edited:
They didn't quite shed tears in public, did they ?

Take the sailor's song for example. Yes, the lyrics were appropriate, but Frederik seemed to overreact to them, unless the song has some unknown deeper meaning to him which we don't know (and that's why I asked).

Yep, he sure did. He wiped tears from under both eyes.

I don't like to judge what has meaning to others.

Last edited:
Did anyone else shed some tears during Mary's speech? 'cause I sure did!

Blog Real, Thank you for the video of Frederik and Mary's dance. The Crown Prince Couple dance extremely well!

Blog Real, Thank you for the video of Frederik and Mary's dance. The Crown Prince Couple dance extremely well!

Seconded. Many thanks!

It’s always a sure bet that Fred and Mary will grace the dance floor. Some of the other couples were really grooving too. lol Hope more videos are released!

Thanks for the photos Ilse.
Some very elegant gowns there. Has Queen Margrethe worn that tiara before?

Back
Top Bottom