Crown Prince Frederik as Patron of Soldaterlegatet: 2009 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have :flowers:
It is a new grant which will be given to soldiers sent home from missions broad or family members of soldiers killed in action. The aim is to hand out these grants as discretely as possible.

The article says that more than 40,000 Danish soldiers have been sent on foreign missions since the early 1990s. More than 40 have been killed and a number have returned home with serious injuries. Lately, there has been increasing focus in the Danish media on the psychological consequences for e.g. the children of these soldiers and their need for help.

Crown Prince Frederik Patron of Soldaterlegatet

Thank you UserDane, this is a nice Patronage for Fred and hope to see Mary attending it as well.

Thank you UserDane, this is a nice Patronage for Fred and hope to see Mary attending it as well.

I don't think any of us will ever see Frederik or Mary when grants are given from this patronage. According to the link posted above - whenever grants will be given, this will be conducted with as much discretion as possible.

I think that it is great to see Frederik getting involved in this organization. It makes sense that Frederik should be involved in helping soldiers and their families. Is this a new royal patronage, or was this something that the Queen or Prince Henrik had previously been involved in?

:previous:
In the Q&A on the fund's website, it says that the fund was founded on October 28th last year.

:previous:
In the Q&A on the fund's website, it says that the fund was founded on October 28th last year.

Thanks, JessRulz! I didn't read carefully enough:flowers:

You have :flowers:
It is a new grant which will be given to soldiers sent home from missions broad or family members of soldiers killed in action. The aim is to hand out these grants as discretely as possible.

The article says that more than 40,000 Danish soldiers have been sent on foreign missions since the early 1990s. More than 40 have been killed and a number have returned home with serious injuries. Lately, there has been increasing focus in the Danish media on the psychological consequences for e.g. the children of these soldiers and their need for help.

It's wonderful that his royal highness has taken on a patronage like this, with his extensive background in the armed forces it's wonderful. And i do hope Mary attends some of the events.
x

Tuesday 26 October 2010, 10:00am
HRH The Crown Prince, as patron of the Soldiers' Bursary inaugurates the National Hospital rehabilitation project for injured soldiers at Copenhagen University Hospital. HRH The Crown Princess also participates in the event.
Photogallery: TV 2 Gallery

Thank you for the link Florencia.
It is certainly moving pictures of all these young men with missing limbs.

I don't understand why the caption in the link says that they brought their children - and then there is a picture with Mary and Christian and Isabella from the official hand-over of their Amalienborg palace?

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. :flowers:

I don't understand the caption in TV2's gallery either. As far as I could see the pic of Christian and Isabella was from Amalienborg. So I guess it's a mistake.
Why should they take small children along to a rehabillitation centre of all places?

Summary based on the BT article:

Højgravid Mary besøgte sårede soldater - Heavily pregnant Mary visited wounded soldiers.
Written by Katja Maria Salomonsen.

Frederik and Mary along with some officers visited the rehabillitation centre at Rigshospitalet for wounded soldiers. Rigshospitalet, where incidentally Mary will give birth, is the place where wounded soldiers are brought in and undergo treatment.
The main threat to soldiers in Afghanistan is IED's = Improvised Explosive Devices and the horrific injuries seen in the galleries is a testament to the effectiveness of these weapons.
The idea with opening a centre specifically for soldiers is due to the psycological healing of the soldiers but primarily because experience has shown that the presence of other soldiers helps maintaining morale and speed up the recovery process.
Soldiers who are more or less invalided are offered a contract with the military for life. I.e. until the age of normal retirement.

Mary spoke a long time with a soldier who had lost his left leg, presumably he was telling her his story.

Frederik said about what had made the greatest impression on him: "To see the courage from those young men, the soldiers her, who has been so severely stricken, but who have the will and who has been given some even better means to recover again, both physically but also in regards to the quality of life. It's pretty important that those two things go along". Mary nodded in agreement.

How about Peter Heering, a reporter asked. He is a lieutenant colonel of the reserves and is currently serving in Afghanistan. He is married to Mary's LiW, Caroline Heering.
Frederik replied: "You do realise, with all that is going on right here, that there naturally is a risk for everyone".

Peter Heering is such a high ranking officer, that the probabillity for him to become a casualty is relatively low.

Thanks for the pics. :flowers:

I don't understand the caption in TV2's gallery either. As far as I could see the pic of Christian and Isabella was from Amalienborg. So I guess it's a mistake.
Why should they take small children along to a rehabillitation centre of all places?

Summary based on the BT article:

Thank you for the summary Muhler:flowers: Seeing those young men with missing limbs is just heart breaking. It looks like Denmark is offering top notch medical care for them. Wonderful of F&M to make the visit. They need to know they did not make the sacrifice for nothing. They need to be acknowledged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the summary Muhler:flowers: Seeing those young men with missing limbs is just heart breaking. It looks like Denmark is offering top notch medical care for them. Wonderful of F&M to make the visit. They need to know they did not make the sacrifice for nothing. They need to be acknowledged.

You are welcome.

I see you are from Texas, so it may interest you to know that the equipment bought for the rehab centre was selected on basis of a visit by a Danish delegation to Brooke Army Medical Center in Texas. One of those who went there was a wounded soldier, who tried out the equipment used there.
Info from the Defence site: Kronprinsparret indvier nye genoptræningsfaciliteter

Yes, I am from Texas. I have been to Brooke one time and it is huge. We did not go there for the hospital. We had gone to update info since hubby had retired and our ID's needed to be updated. I am so glad they have the kind of medical care and are able to share it for these young men and women are needing to recover from their injuries.

Translation of article in Billed Bladet #43, 2010.
Kronprinsparret hos soldaterne - The Crown Princely Couple with the soldiers.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

"It was really exciting to meet Mary. She was very concerned/preoccupied with how I am and what is difficult for me in particular. She seemed genuinely interested and (she) was inpressed with what it is possible to train yourself up to".
Tells 24 years old Jesper Aagaard Nielsen, who lost both his legs when he on the 1st June stepped on a ten kilo explosive charge in Afghanistan. that happened on a Tuesday and only on Friday did he wake up at Rigshospitalet, where he had both legs amputated above the knee and had (recunstructive) surgery to his right elbow, which was completely shattered.
Jesper was one among nine severely wounded soldiers whom Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary visited this Tuesday at Rigshospitalet. Here they have recieved a grant for 1.8 million DKK from the Soldaterlegatet (the Soldier's Grant) for which Frederik is patron, for purchasing machines for training/retraining and employing an extra physiotherapist. A team from the hospital has been in Texas to learn how American soldiers are being retrained and it's experiences from there, that are now being used, so that Rigshospitalet now have the latest and most advanced traing fascillities for soldiers who have been injured in war.
Crown Prince Frederik too talked with the wounded soldiers and he had a long chat with 23 years old Martin Aaholm, who lost both legs and five fingers when he on 1st July last year stepped on a 50 kilos of homemade explosives during an operation near Gereshk. (*)
"There were no metal parts in it (the bomb) so our mine detector didn't locate the mine, before I stepped on it", explains Martin, who is deeply impressed with the interest of Crown Prince Frederik.
"Frederik doesn't show pity, but understanding for our situation. He has himself been through many of the things we have been exposed to, so he knows what we are talking about", tells Martin, who has recieved the Anders Lassen grant (**) for his service in Afghanistan.
The wounded soldiers are deeply grateful for the new equipment they have recieved and the train diligently. They all hope to as soon as possible to start a new normal life. Jesper will attend HF (***) and then he'd like to become a physiontherapist. Martin on the other hand hope that he will some day return to Afghanistan.

In a caption we are told: Mary had many questions to Jesper Aasgaard Nielsen, who lost both legs and had his right elbow crushed in Afghanistan. She asked what was the most difficult part of the retraining and Jesper replied: "To trust that the new leg doesn't suddenly collapse".

(*) The Danish soldiers mainly operate in upper Gereshk valley, now also inside Gereshk town itself, in the Helmand province. The tank squadron operate mainly further south in support of Afghan, British and US forces.

(**) The Anders Lassen grant is granted to soldiers who either have been injured physically or psycologically or to the relatives of soldiers who have been killed.
Anders Lassen was an officer in Special Boat Squadron during WWII and he recieved the Victoria Cross posthumous.
Special Boat Squadron, which Anders Lassen was instrumental in shaping is the direct inspiration for the Frogman Corps, in which Frederik served.

(***) A sort of high school for adults

You are welcome, Sternchen.

For the moderators: I don't seem to be able to edit my own post in this and some other threads. Why is that?

I should like to have added this link to my post: Billed-Bladet - Frederik og Mary hjælper sårede soldater

The Edit button is available for 48 hours after posting. After that, you need to contact one of the moderators or administrators if you want to edit your post.

Last edited:
Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

The Defence site has more on Frederik's visit: Værsgo

When wounded soldiers are released from Rigshospitalet, they are then transferred to their local regiments or municipalities, if they are no longer able to serve in the army. The municipalities often have very little experience with retraining soldiers. (*)
As such Soldaterlegatet = the Soldiers grant has set up facillities complete with machines in six places all over DK. Here wounded soldiers and veterans can get the necessary training after their stay at the hospital.
One of these facillities has been located Høvelte Barracks, the home of the Royal Lifeguard Regiment, which, being a combat regiment, has suffered considererable casualties for the past twenty years.
Just ten years ago, such facillities let alone the retraining, specifically aimed at soldiers were virtually nonexistant.

Frederik, who served as a volunteer conscript in the Lifeguards, inaugurated the new facillity.

- It is I think very commendable and a very good way of sharing the focus that Frederik deals with the physical rehabillitation of soldiers, while Mary deals with the mental rehabillitation.

(*) Experiences from Rigshospitalet have determined that soldiers are different from other patients. They are usually very fit, very determined and by the presence of other soldiers also very motivated than normal patients. As such soldiers use the machines on a generally higher level and more than normal patients. They also recover much faster than civillian patients.
The machines at the hospitals are after all aimed at the "average" patient, between 15 and 85 who can be superfit or very obese.

HRH The Crown Prince, as patron of the Soldaterlegatet/Soldier's Bursary, participates in the trust's annual meeting, at the Citadel, Copenhagen. May 27th, 2014

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net...=50936fa58a8b204a28ba4cebae71cdfb&oe=53F07F4C

Soldaterlegatet helps former civilian and military deployed in international military missions, their dependents and survivors after a show in need of financial assistance due to a physical or mental injury during deployment.

A few more pictures from yesterday's meeting. Frederik arriving
http://frederiketmary.f.r.pic.centerblog.net/4C7C6128.jpg
http://frederiketmary.f.r.pic.centerblog.net/4C7C6134.jpg
http://frederiketmary.f.r.pic.centerblog.net/4C7C6136.jpg
http://frederiketmary.f.r.pic.centerblog.net/4C7C6139.jpg

Ill put this news here, since its related to Frederik's involvement with wounded soldiers and in a way Soldaterlegatet

HRH Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark will be attending the Invictus Games in London on September 10-11
Together with the Danish Minister of Defence Nicolai Wammen and Chief of Defence, General Peter Bartram.

Frederik is patron of the foundation 'Soldaterlegatet' /Soldier's Grant.
"The purpose of the foundation is to support military personnel and civilians of Denmark posted in military missions abroad, and who during missions for the Danish defense suffers physical or psychological harm that fall in war or war-like conditions or who die in some other way.
review benefit purpose of the foundation. "

HRH Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark attending Invictus Games

This is great news. Denmark is one of the 14 countries participating.
This is not the first time Frederik has been involved with wounded soldiers and their rehabilitation through sports

HRH Crown Prince Frederik with wounded Danish veterans in 2011.
http://www.sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cache/16/200416_590_500_0_0_0_0.jpg
http://www.sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cache/18/200418_590_500_0_0_0_0.jpg

More information on Frederik attending the Invictus Games

On September 10, attends Crown Prince opening ceremony at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
The Crown Prince on September 11 in a joint breakfast with the Danish participants at the event and attends thereafter exercise of discipline athletics in the Lee Valley Athletics Centre.
Invictus Games - Kongehuset

Crown Prince Frederik in Norway 6.-8. December with Danish war veterans:

"HRH The Crown Prince has this week been on a training session in Norway with injured war veterans, who in March are to walk nearly
400 kilometers along the east coast of Greenland

-I think the project is really commendable. I have the greatest respect for the nine veterans with their various disabilities challenge our
conception of what is possible. 30 days in East Greenland during the coldest period requires serious preparation. The training trip in
Norway was just a small taste of what to expect, but all men showed great commitment, willpower and high spirits, so I'm sure they
all go great adventure ahead, said the Crown Prince."

Gallery from on the DRF's official Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=394222794249641&id=236903853314870

"The veterans have from Tuesday to Thursday this week had a visit from HRH Crown Prince at their training session in Norway.
Together they have for two days made the journey on skis with sledge and backpack. All this took place in the area around Trondheim."
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=ef742394b45753a3bae11f36431a861f&oe=58B39D82

"This week the Crown Prince participated in a training ride to Norway together with a number of injured veterans. The trip is the last
step before the veterans draws on a longer Greenland expedition to March."
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=61142c226f1d7d4ab8bde5a128b2bf40&oe=58B799C8

"In March 17 veterans, nine of whom are physically or mentally wounded, participate in Greenland Expedition Arctic Challenge,
where they will walk 400 kilometers along the east coast of Greenland at Turski."
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=068fffbbcbfeffaa48c8c8b5eece3d64&oe=58F410C9

"Veterans in Motion (VIM) is an association of wounded veterans who through extreme activities try to move their limits physically
and mentally. The veterans have different injuries. Among other leg amputations, other serious bodily injuries and PTSD."
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=2731d8316ba39b8a99a117ea31c0c425&oe=58FC4DFA

The People's Crown Prince and Crown Princess :flowers:

Nice picture of CP Frederik during the visit:
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=56098d07b52477b78abca7e4386d75f7&oe=58F53507

One more gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/veteransinmotion/posts/719690941512712

Wounded veterans here in DK have for years been actively encouraged to pursue sports on a high level, form basically the day they are out of surgery. With very good results, physically as well as mentally.
As a result we have by now a proportionally high number of elite athletes attending say the para-olympics.
I believe that was a result from the close co-operation between Danish and British troops for many years now - also when it comes to recovering veterans.
But they don't have the same royal advocate in the DRF, as the British have in Harry, who after all is veteran himself.
The nearest is Frederik, who after being a Frogman know firsthand how it is to push yourself way beyond your boundaries.

But nevertheless some veterans have taken to the woods. Where they live for weeks or months...

This is incredible. Excellent for Frederik to participate and highlight the strength of the veterans. I know he has worked in the past with injured veterans and attended events for veterans, for example the Invictus games in London.
HRH Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark attending Invictus Games

and recently the run in Washington DC with the veterans
Wounded Warriors Tackle Monument Run with Crown Prince of Denmark > U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE > Article

He is a patron of Soldaterlegatet for veterans
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...rik-as-patron-of-soldaterlegatet-19807-2.html

article regarding the days in Norway
SE BILLEDERNE: Kronprins Frederik på barsk tur | BILLED-BLADET
"- It gives the boys an important boost of energy that Crown Prince Frederik take the time to be part of the expedition and learn veterans to know, says Rune Oland Tanggaard, founder of Veterans in Motion and daily manager DIF Soldiers Project"

more picture and information about Veterans in Motion
Veterans In Motion

http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...ik-d-foto_brian_mouridsen_3.jpg?itok=1d1aRorF
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...erik-b-foto_brian_mouridsen.jpg?itok=SjByZv5F
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...erik-e-foto_brian_mouridsen.jpg?itok=4lb1Zg72

:previous: another article with bigger versions of the photos
Kronprinsen på træningstur i Norge med skadede krigsveteraner
"Crown Prince himself has extensive experience with the Arctic environment and not least the move skiing long distances in inaccessible environment. Lessons learned during his visit have shared with the veterans, and they can take with them on, "says Rune Oland Tanggaard, founder of Veterans in Motion and daily manager DIF Soldiers Project."

this story has been shared by various Danish veteran groups on facebook. All have given great support to this group of men and the crown prince :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom