CP Frederik, CP Mary and the Save the Children Fund: 2005 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary looks great, we're starting to see some of the pregnancy weight. I think the really high pumps makes the coat seem kind of short. I love the dark blue color, it's perfect for autumn/winter.

True, she looks tired, but she's absolutely radiant! Love the dress and jacket combo, the hair, the make-up...everything. Everyone's right, she has gained a bit of flesh around her face which makes her look even better. I always thought she looked the best and the most flattering when she was pregnant.

Mary looks fabulous!! I absolutely adore her coat!! :wub:
Thanks for the pictures guys! :flowers:

Just a quick question, can anyone see the Isifa pictures that dazzling posted? When I tried to open some of them, it said I needed to register...

I don't think Princess Mary looks tired...but she does look like she is already in Tasmania...bit vacant, preoccupied

I am sure the princess is looking forward to a bit of a break, she does look a little tired but still gorgeously beautiful and yes, pregnant. Stunning.

Mary looks absolutley lovely...The pics of her with children are amazing...she as a natural maternal instinct!!!!!I agreed that she looks a bit tired, but we can forget that she´s traveled a lot these days!!!

Crown Prince Frederik had a work meeting yesterday with one of his patronages, Save the Children Fund, Denmark

HRH The Crown Prince, as patron, participated in a work visit with Save the Children

Save the Children website has an article: Red Barnet - Nyheder

and pictures: Red Barnet - Kronprins Frederik

Last edited:
Fair is fair--why only bash Mary's few mistakes (the current brown belt) when Frederick's outfit at Friday's "Save the Children" hqrts was way below par? I'll admit, though, he is so deliciously handsome, I preferred it to a pretty-boy image.

October 5, 2009 - Crown Prince participates in the launching of Save the Children's campaign against infant mortality, in Save the Children's premises in Copenhagen at 10:45

Save the Children collect knitted hats into a new international campaign that Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Anne of Great Britain is the patron of. They both participate when the campaign will be launched on Monday by Save the Children in Copenhagen. The two royals ... - Article in english

:previous:
I didn't know that Princess Anne was invovled in Save the Children fund aswell. :flowers:
It will be nice to see them together, is Princess Anne attending the IOC meeting? :)

British Princess Anne (L) and Denmarks Crown Prince Frederik of rows each a knitted hat for Save the Children - Director Mimi Jakobsen (R) Monday D.5 October 2009 on the occasion of the presentation of the new campaign Save the Children 'Knit a hat'. Crown Prince and Princess Anne, who are both patrons of Save the Children, had not even knitted caps. 'Knit a hat' - the campaign is part of Save the Children international campaign against infant mortality - Save the Children.

Picture Gallery

I love the photos of CP Frederik and Princess Anne- He is really looking great these days, very mature, confident and "manly" (instead of boyish). Seems to be growing into to his role as future King quite nicely imho.

:previous:
Lovely pictures. Both Frederik and Princess Anne look wonderful together, I love events that involve royalty from other countries. :flowers:

How are the Crown Prince and Princess Royal related

One way that they are related is through Alexandra, who was Danish and became consort to Victoria's son.

How are the Crown Prince and Princess Royal related

Distant cousins I believe through various different people.

CP Frederik is inline for the british throne through great-grandmother Princess Margaret of Connaught, the third daughter of Queen Victoria's third son.

Here is an article on Fred while visiting the save the children fund. Article is translated to english.

Frederik and save the Children is also involved in social issues in Greenland.

Here is what Frederik wrote about that in 2008. The issues have recently been addressed and Greenland has begun a co-operation with UNESCO to help combatting the socials problems there.

From my archive:

Tæt på mit hjerte – Close to my heart.

Written by Crown Prince Frederik/Red Barnet – Save The Children.

He found spontaneity and closeness with the children in Qaanaaq.
Today Crown Prince Frederik is delighted that the drop-in centre he presented the children with in return has been a success.

His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik took in 2000 part in a dog-sledge expedition around the northern tip of Greenland. The lasted four months and stretched for 2.795 kilometres and the purpose was to monitor the uninhabited coast. (*) In the months before the expedition the Crown Prince and the five other members of the expedition lived in Qaanaaq, where they prepared for the rough/really hard trip.
The Crown Prince talks with warmth in his voice about his special relationship with the children of Qaanaaq:
- “Qaanaaq will always be close to my heart. The town and its inhabitants really enchanted me. Qaanaaq is a completely unique place – partly due to its geographical isolation from the rest of Greenland, and partly because they have managed to maintain the original Greenland culture. It was a time of magic. I got a very overwhelming and enthusiastic reception”.

- “Such is the Greenland (**) mentality. But when the curiosity and excitement of the children had settled down, I became part of the day-to-day life in Qaanaaq.
Some of the things that are clearest in my memory are actually the children. They were not afraid of approaching. They sneaked up around our house and peeked in the door, when we sat and worked on practical task for our journey. They were very welcome to do that. Often they sat with us and watched videos and drank fizzy water. That meant a lot to them, because there is a limit to what they have of that sort of things in Qaanaaq. They were really sweet and straight forward”.
- “I feel really well being with the children. They have a special form of spontaneity. They are on the other hand not bombarded with all sorts of effects, impressions and electronics like Danish children.
I cannot help being swept along by their joy and spontaneous behaviour. In Denmark we only have time for very few people beside ourselves. In Greenland they show more caring and nearness. That stems from earlier times where everyone was a part of a community and had to help each other. Otherwise you would be ostracized and die of starvation. The mindset of the Greenlanders has fortunately not changed much in that respect. (***)
I hope the Greenland children maintain their spontaneity. That’s a very positive side of their culture. It has been very educational for me to experience – and something I wish to pass on to my own children”.

A gift from the Crown Prince.

After the journey on dog sledges the Crown Prince and the five other members of the expedition published a book with the memories from the journey. The surplus went to a drop-in centre for youths in Qaanaaq, which was started with the help of save the Children. In 2004 the CP couple inaugurated the drop-in centre, which is today called Sirius:
- “When we were in Qaanaaq, we put a lot of effort into providing some positive experiences for the children. We were among other places in the sports centre to play football and handball. We couldn’t really talk due to the language, but we could play ball, against and with each other. That was quite funny. I think they experienced our presence as a breath of fresh air. Also because the apparently wasn’t used to playing with adults.
Even though we generally met happy children, we were however aware that many of them had problems behind the walls of their homes. And there were also many children who played outside – often until very late despite the cold and the darkness. The day-to-day isn’t so happy for all of them – far from that. It is obvious that there are problems in the Greenlander community and also some fear of addressing the issues. Life has probably never been a rose garden for the Greenlanders. That’s why we quickly agreed that it was a pity that there wasn’t a drop-in centre or after-school centre. A sanctuary, where they with other children could get away from home a little and get some diversion, play table-soccer, computer or have a cosy time in the “quiet-room”. We would like to do something for the people who had been very hospitable towards us. That’s why we decided to give them a drop-in centre”.
- “When you enter there is great energy and joy. There is noise and music. Some dance, some play. The young say it has had a major influence on their lives and has played a part in breaking the social pattern (for inheriting the problems) and the alcohol problems. The drop-in centre is a positive fix-point in their lives and it helps strengthening their self-discipline. That makes me tremendously happy to experience. It really a total sunshine-story for Mary and me, (****) who has also visited the drop-in centre. That often makes me think that it isn’t always the size of the amount that matters. Often even small amounts can create great joy. Small means can have very large results. In Greenland too”.

Patron for Save the Children.

Crown Prince Frederik is patron for Save the Children. The Crown Prince took over the role in 2002 after his grandmother (mormor), Her Royal Highness Queen Ingrid, who was patron from the foundation of Save the Children (DK) in 1945:
- “I’m glad that Save the Children and I started a smashing co-operation. We agreed that there was a need to have a look at Greenland. You always talk about the conditions in Africa, but there are also problems close by. In our own kingdom. I’m very pleased that Save the Children and I can benefit from each other and together do something for the Greenlander children and youth”.

(*) The Sirius Patrol’s main function is to maintain Danish sovereignty over North Eastern Greenland. According to international law you must do that by having a physical presence in the area. As such the Sirius Patrol is not just as military unit, it also act as police, civil servants and as the highest-ranking representatives for Danish and/or Greenland authorities in the area.

(**) I’ve been told that there is a considerable difference between the Inuit/Eskimos of West and East Greenland. They are basically two tribes.

(***) That is unfortunately no longer correct. See my remark at the end.

(****) Frederik is here talking “modern”, but I’m sure you get the meaning. – And putting Mary before himself.

There are huge problems in Greenland. Not least with children.
Greenland has had home rule for many years now. However the rapid transition from a hunter/fishing society to a relatively modern society with offices, schools, factories and so on has not been easy. That combined with alcohol has resulted in really serious social problems. The main victims are as always the children. Children are abused, neglected and molested on a horrific scale. With the tragic result that the social legacy continues.
There has in the past couple of years been focus on the problems, especially in regards to children. Even to the point where an intervention from the government in Denmark has been considered. In other words: Putting Greenland or at least part of Greenland’s home rule under direct administration by the Danish state.
The Greenland politicians are not at all interested in the Danish state meddling in anything at all! – In the meantime the children suffer – and animals too.
However Qaanaaq, which is isolated, has as Frederik said, maintained it’s original Greenland lifestyle to a very large extent. The rest of Greenland…..
Greenlanders have indeed a closer social network than Danes in general, because the population is so much smaller and so are the communities. But the large social problems are stretching the ties beyond breaking point.

from the royal website, Crown Prince Frederik's program for his visit to Bangladesh from March 16th to March 19th

H.K.H. Crown Prince raises today as the patron of Save the Children in Bangladesh, Dhaka, where the Crown Prince until 19 March 2012 will visit selected sites with a focus on child labor.

There is in Bangladesh up to 8 million child laborers, many working under hazardous conditions and are unable to attend school.

The Crown Prince will begin his stay in Bangladesh to visit the children working as domestic servants in private homes, including a 11-year-old child who for 6 years has worked in several different households. The following day the Crown Prince will visit the children of workers at a steel factory.

On the last day trip visited Save the Children project Work2Learn working with, among other Scandinavian textile companies to create better and safer conditions for child workers. The work serves as a placement for the children, trained in a particular area of ​​production, giving them a better position to get jobs later in life, and knowledge of working conditions. The project also offered the children schooling beside the work.

Crown Prince's residence concludes with a visit to a slum where the children in the organization Child Brigade helps other children to get out of child labor through learning about rights and building networks.

The visit is part of preparations for Save the Children's national collection of 2 September 2012.

In my opinion Frederik is great at these events. His interaction with children is beautiful (for example, his visit to Japan after the 2011 Tsunami)

i found another short article with a picture of Crown Prince Frederik of his visit to a UCEP school in Bangladesh in his role as patron of Save the children

daily sun | Metropolis | Crown prince of Denmark visits Ucep schools

The Crown Prince talked to the students of different trades at the UCEP Technical School and was impressed by the enthusiasm of the children who were learning while working for their livelihood.

You are right User Dane this worthy cause deserves more recognition. I would love to see Fred and Prss Anne do something similiar to what they did a few years ago to gain more attention for the Save the Children fund.

Thanks Polyesco, for keeping up updated on Frederik's trip to Bangladesh. :flowers:
Something the Danish press has completely ignored.

Thanks Polyesco, for keeping up updated on Frederik's trip to Bangladesh. :flowers:
Something the Danish press has completely ignored.

You're welcome.
Yes i agree that there has been little coverage. Maybe we will see more coverage of it closer to September during the danish national collection.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #15, 2012.
Rejsen har gjort stort indtryk på mig - The jouney has made a big impression on me.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Save the Children will hold a national fundraiser on the 2nd September and Frederik trip to Bangladesh was to create awareness about that.

Bangladesh is three times larger than DK but has a population of 147 (repeat 147) million people and it's one of the most poor countries in the world.
Together with the general secretary for Save the Children Denmark, Mimi Jacobsen, Frederik visited a project in a slum area of the capital of Dhakar.
Each day around 1.000 children under the age of five die from what we would consider trivail deseased, accidents and malnoutrition.
The rest, well, their living conditions are miserable.
More than 80 % of the population live beneath the poverty limit, which is set at 12 DKK a day (= 2$). As such children have to work long hours as well.

Frederik said: "The journey has made a big impression on me.
- It put the conditions of our own children in perspective. But it's clear to me that through dedicated and co-ordinated effort, from authorities, businesses and organisations like Save the Children, a great work is done daily in order to create better conditions for the children.
- Despite poverty and tough living conditions I met children who from just a couple of hours of attending school or access to a community center/shelter displayed an incredible strength and willingness to take on life. That shows how little is really needed in order to make a big difference for the children".

Mimi Jacobsen said: ".... and it was obvious that he has an unusual rapport with children and young. Even though the Crown Prince and his own family live a life far from slum and misery he can easily form bonds/connect and create trust in the children he met".

One of those he met was twelve year old Rony, who work twelve hour shifts six days a week in a lunchbox factory.

Frederik also learned about a project called Work2Learn, where children are taught to read and writ and later to have a practical education, enabling them to get a proper job. These children are also taught about their rights. - I guess they are the fortunate ones.

Last edited:
As you know Frederik went on a trip to Bangladesh with Save the Children, the aim was to look at projects that help promote education and schooling and as far as it is practically possible reduce child labour.

He has now been interviewed to a magazine called Samvirke. The magazine aim at middle aged readers like me and Mrs. Muhler and it's about lifestyle and healty living as far as I understand, because neither of us have ever seen it in this part of the country. Weeeell, perhaps we live too far out in the countryside....:p

Anyway, there is a pdf file with the magazine, including a well illustrated article about Frederik in Bangladesh. Læs Magasinet Samvirke fra August 2012

Translating from a pdf file is hell! So I'll only translate a couple of quotes about what Frederik said about his own children.

"We talk a lot with Christian about him appreciation the world. He is well and he should know that not all children are so fortunate as children in Denmark.
It's so lovely to be a father. My children give me so many joys - and children are so direct. (*) When you become a parent your perspective on the world changes. I can feel it deep in my heart when children are not treated well".

(*) You bet! One of my favorite anecdotes goes back a number of years when our daughter was little. She and I were driving and she noticed some cows grasing. One of them was wearing an udder-support. (They are still not that uncommon, for all sorts of reasons) And she asked why the cow was wearing a bra. In an attemt to avoid a looong explanation I said that the cow was shy. And my daughter said: "Oh, because she's got big udders, just like mum".
We almost ended up in the ditch! The rest of the way I desperately tried not to laugh, because it was so innocent. :ROFLMAO:

:previous:thank you for the link to the article and for the translated quotes:flowers: there are some nice pics of Frederik.

Im glad this trip is getting a little bit more attention.

And that story of your daughter is priceless:ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom