Crown Prince Frederik and Sailing Competitions: 2003 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #24, 2010.
Humpede ud på vandet - Limped out onto the water.
Written by Lisbeth Grube.

Frederik took part in the RC44 Championships off Zealand. And our journalist met him on the quay in Tuborg Harbour, before going sailing and here he was limping around. He explained: It's an old injury in my left leg". Indeed it was the injury he got in verbier, where he broke his ancle. He was fitted with a plate and that plate has now been routinely removed, so he was in some pain.
Frederik had a great time with the other sailers, because they hardly left the harbour that day, as it was blowing 20 m/s.
When he left he said: "It was a very big experience being out on the water. It's always a challenge to sail in strong winds but today I really had to hold the helm tight".

Q: Does Prince Christian share the interest for sailing (in races, litterally called: sejlsport = sailsports in Danish)?
F: "I try! I don't kick Christian into the boat but naturally I motivate (*) him in that direction".

(*) He used the word motivate not encourage.

what does he has Christina a t-shirt with british flag?

Thank you Iceflower for these photographs. Lovely to see Crown Prince Frederick out and about with his sailing team. I do love the way Mary, Isabella and Christian are always there to support him. I really do admire this family!

Last edited:
Juliette2 said:
It's from Burberry. I doubt it has any meaning...It's like wearing an alligator on a Lacoste...

They could be planning a British take-over ... :whistling:

Last edited:
Thanks iceflower for posting the link to the photos of Christian and Isabella on the boat.
It looks a lot of fun, I love the look of determination on Isabella's face when she is making her way to the front of the boat to where Christian is.

Could it be that both Christian and Isabella are both very strong-willed children ??
If so, am I right in surmising that they take after their Mum ??

Could it be that both Christian and Isabella are both very strong-willed children ??
If so, am I right in surmising that they take after their Mum ??

I think that both Fredrik and Mary are strong willed but in different ways. I also think that Fred is more quite about it.

see this pic: http://estb.msn.com/i/62/4F241481EF9AAEF3F14CFB1372477.jpg
I find it super cute! Izzy really is her daddy's darling, IMO it's adorable the way she and F have been wearing matching clothes recently (e.g. at the twins' christening, F's tie matched I's dress, and the same went for the presentation of Greenlandic boots to Christian). I can picture her insisting upon such a "grown-up girl" issue, and F complying!

wow, christian 2 days consecutive with the smae t-sirt!!!!! with the british flag!!!! may be he has several of them?

I love to look at the children's clothes: Princess Isabella's shirt is very pretty! And I noticed in the PPE gallery that Christian is wearing the same shorts that he was wearing during the summer photo shoot...but please, can someone tell me what's on them?? I do very much hope that it's not skulls....I hate skulls - most especially on children clothes!!

wow, christian 2 days consecutive with the smae t-sirt!!!!! with the british flag!!!! may be he has several of them?

I was thinking maybe it is the same outfit that Christian wore two days in a row...Even though they are royal, have laundry available 24/7, or have the option of having lots of copies of the same outfit...Maybe Mary and Fred want to teach their kids that clothes (especially play clothes) do not need to washed everyday especially if they are no visible stains or dirt...And that water needs to be saved, clothes can be worn again the day after, etc...Mary is wearing the same shirt and Isabella looks like she is wearing the same outfit and Fred, well, he's a guy, so chances are he is definitely wearing the same clothes as the day before...M&F look like they are trying to raise responsible adults, royal or not, not spoilt brats who complain about their clothes not being washed everyday...

I was thinking maybe it is the same outfit that Christian wore two days in a row..

Not that I would care much if Christian wore the same shirt two days in a row
(there are washing machines), but all the pics are from Sunday the 14th...?

Thank you Iceflower. Christian certainly looks very comfortable in a boat. Maybe he will follow in his father's footsteps and this is the start of a new sport for him. Frederik and Mary do have such lovely children.

You may wish to use the galleries posted by Iceflower :flowers: as a reference while reading this.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #33, 2011.
Kongeligt moleræs i Hornbæk - Royal pier-race in Hornbæk (*)
Written by the quay-sailor Ulrik Ulriksen.

Daddy Frederik went sailing off Northern Zealand in his boat Nanoq Sunday forenoon.
Mary, laden down with a huge bag with supplies, boarded a rubber dinghy along with Christian, Isabella and a couple of anonymous gentlemen (**) a couple of hours into the race. And off they went to watch dad sail.
In mid afternoon the race was over and Christian and Isabella joined the crew of Nanoq, - as "idlers" it seems. And they returned to Hornbæk marina at 15.00.
The race had attracted a big crowd of onlookers who had taken time off from their busy schedule at the golf course.
Hornbæk marina is not frequented by the least affluent in DK...

Mary joined her two boys and her daughter, when Nanoq had been moored at the pier. (***) After having assisted dad in steering the boat safely into the harbour, Christian discarded his lifejacket and darted down on the pier and from there onto some rocks, where the pier is anchored. Isabella had already onboard the boat shown that what Christian can, she can too! Albeit a little more clumsily and with some determination. Christian called for her to join him: "Kom nu, Bella = Come on, Bella". And with some hesistation, because it was a little bit dangerous, at least judging from the pictures, Bella gingerly stepped out on two wooden beams and joined her brother.
Okay, play among rocks?!? Big deal. Isabella found a rolled up hose and that was apparantly much more interesting to play with.

When they left the marina the family encountered a couple of dogs and Isabella and Mary simply had to pet them.

Frederik was pretty pleased with the race, his boat came in fourth.

Our reporter asked Mary: Congratulations on the first day in school for Prince Christian. How do you think it went?
Mary: "Thank you very much. It was a very good day".

(*) One of the challenges of translating articles by Ulrik Ulriksen is that he tends to enrich the Danish language by introducing words he has made up himself. There are a couple of examples of that in this article as well...
The older... I mean more mature among you may remember Leonard Sachs (from The Good Old Days)? He was an amateur compared to Ulrik Ulriksen!

(**) I need no longer look in cataloques for what is discreet and fashionable for men, I can just look at the PET officers. They were as usual among the most well dressed gentlemen present.

(***) Or whatever those long wooden thinghies on which you walk to get to your boat are called in a marina. Forgive my ignorance, being a pauper with only one house and only one car I cannot frequent Hornbæk Marina. What would people there think? They would surely have their butlers pelt me with golf balls....

Last edited:
On May 18 and 19 Crown Prince Frederik participated in the sailing competition of the Hellerup Sailing Club.

On the second day, May 19, Mary, Christian, Isabella and Mary's father were there to support him:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** pp: Princesse Mary : Sortie en mer avec les adorables Christian et Isabella **

Interesting, Iceflower.

The boat is civillian, but the two crew are from the navy. The third man onboard doesn't look like PET to me.
That's all new to me.

Correction: The third man in the boat is from PET.

Last edited:
I was pretty sure from how they looked at the christening Isabella and Christian must have gotten some sun lately!
It was nice to see John Donaldson with the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom