The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
do not think mary writes her speeches from a to z, but this is about being able to "talk" comprehensively. I almost feel a bit sory for him, it rather embaressing. I the old days it would have been hushed up and they would have him tag along.
No I meant the performance only. Yes I feel a bit sorry too but times change and a future king is expected to be able to do certain things that go with his role or other functions. Mary can't compensate everything. King Carl Gustaf was quite lucky I guess since he has been tagged along in certain areas where Silvia could not help but these days are over for the follow up generation. If there are deficiencies Frederik should work harder, just ask Victoria of Sweden

Old 11-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, in some things you can do training, work harder etc. and you will never learn. Frederik is almost 40 by now and I suppose as a crownprince he has done a lot of speeches et all, so if that isn“t one of his stronger points (which the DIF seems to believe) why would you want to keep going in that direction? Perhaps it would be better to focus on things that he does have very good skills for, like communicating witth he Danish public for example. Mind you, as a crownprince he should always have a basic level of speeches, debates and such, but to go and look look for it especially in an official function for another organisation (IOC) might be too much.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Heir Apparent

A very interesting article and newscast regarding Frederik, the IOC, and 2008 Olympics; click here to watch and read.

This is something that will be very interesting to see how it will play out. Will he? Or won't he? Personally speaking I wouldn't... heavens no.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Danish crown prince urged to avoid Beijing Games opening ceremony

...Three parties in the Danish parliament have backed calls urging the future heir to the Danish throne to avoid the opening ceremony to protest Beijing's human rights record.... - Article Source
Old 02-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the link, Dazzling.

Here is another article, but this one notes that The Reigning Couple of Norway, including Haakon, will attend, and it seems now Frederik has chosen to go according these news reports: here, here, and here.

So despite world outcries for him as well as other public figures not to attend the 2008 Games, due to China's horrific human rights violations, Frederik will be there.

tsk tsk
Old 02-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Courtier

I disagree, he should be there. This is the Olympics, it is where the world is to set aside their differences and come together. It should not be made an arena for political statements, however right or wrong they are. Frederick is going to support the danes and represent the danes. As a royal he is expected to be above political things.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100 View Post
I disagree, he should be there. This is the Olympics, it is where the world is to set aside their differences and come together. It should not be made an arena for political statements, however right or wrong they are. Frederick is going to support the danes and represent the danes. As a royal he is expected to be above political things.
That's a perfect way of putting it. If the DRF isn't allowed to take sides in politics, or interfere in politics, why should this situation be any different? Frederik is going to the Olympics to support his country, not to mention he enjoys sports so it's business and pleasure for him. (well perhaps not business, but he will be representing his country )
Old 02-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100 View Post

You're right.

Nonetheless, he is in a difficult situation especially since he wants to a member of the IOC. By attending he is also playing the political IOC "game." On the otherhand, if he doesn't attend it will look too political by snubbing the very people he desperately wants to be apart of.

Like I noted before, and again in another forum: I applaud the choice Prince Charles made.

Essentially, in the end, I sort of believe Frederik simply wants attend to support the Danish teams as well as signal to the IOC that he's desperately wants to be a member. I mean, afterall, it is an honor, right?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 AM
Heir Apparent

As I pointed out with the Norwegian royals attending (and as the Danish PM seems to agree with me on, in an article) - as long as the official Denmark sends athletes, the channels of diplomacy and trade remain open - Frederik would step outside his role as an apolitical figurehead, if he alone were to boycott it. Any diplomatic activity/negotiations with China from the official Denmark happens through the elected channels as it is today. If the Danish delegation were to withdraw, I'd agree that Frederik should do so as well, but as it is he's there primarily because of the Danish athletes. Denmark has an elected government to take stands, it has athletes who could take a stand - the only one who cannot do it because of the political implications, is actually Frederik, imo.

As the Danish Amnesty said: "It is a sporting event. If we were to criticize every time a sporting event was hold somewhere human rights were violated, we'd be very busy. As it is we're using the time during the Olympics to put the spotlight on the violations of human rights that happens in China."
Old 02-05-2008, 05:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

I know that the 2000 Olympics are in the past, but as a tourism major I have been lectured on exactly this issue - CHina's human rights record and how keep it out of the media spotlight. It was also discussed that the Sydney 2000 olympics brought the same sort of thing to Australia (this time about the treatment of the aboriginal "stolen generation" - here's the Wikipedia entry for the stolen generation if you're interested.

Now - as far as my own opinion goes, I agree with the posters who pointed out that the olympics are a sports event - and it should stay that way. There are other ways to make political views known.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
As I pointed out with the Norwegian royals attending (and as the Danish PM seems to agree with me on, in an article) - as long as the official Denmark sends athletes, the channels of diplomacy and trade remain open - Frederik would step outside his role as an apolitical figurehead, if he alone were to boycott it. Any diplomatic activity/negotiations with China from the official Denmark happens through the elected channels as it is today. If the Danish delegation were to withdraw, I'd agree that Frederik should do so as well, but as it is he's there primarily because of the Danish athletes.
I couldn't agree more Norwegianne
I find the ongoing discussion in DK about royal attendence or not very weird - why send sports delegations to the games and then require the royals to take a differenct political stand - doesn't make sense IMO.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
I couldn't agree more Norwegianne
I find the ongoing discussion in DK about royal attendence or not very weird - why send sports delegations to the games and then require the royals to take a differenct political stand - doesn't make sense IMO.
I agree. If you say yes to the one you must say yes to the other as well. The problem isn't the royal attendance - Denmark should have decided not to send any sport delegation at all. Doing this is a complet contradiction to our fundamental views regarding human rights and freedom of speach.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

and yet again, The Olympics were created in order to keep a friendly non political channel open between all nations. It would be terrible for any country not to send a delegation.

Think of it this way, by the Olympics occuring in China, they have all that more attention thrown on the human rights violations than would have ever been the case. And, additionally, the Games offer the chance for people to come together and show that you do not need to violate human rights to have an orderly society.

The games should not be boycotted, because then the games themselves becoem an instrument of politics, and that would completely debase them.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Hm, well typically I'm alone here on this forum when it comes to my feelings about this situation and public figures attending these OG. I refuse to turn a blind eye; now I know how Prince Charles must be feeling.

Clearly the DA is playing the "game"/let's not upset anyone so we'll play the diplomatic card. Furthermore, the Olympics are filled with politics. Doesn't anyone find it strange that the Olympics promote the idea of "Peace and Harmony..." all warm fuzzy feelings towards each other...and this time it will take place... in China!?

Ohhhh the irony...
Old 02-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
Hm, well typically I'm alone here on this forum when it comes to my feelings about this situation and public figures attending these OG. I refuse to turn a blind eye; now I know how Prince Charles must be feeling.

Clearly the DA is playing the "game"/let's not upset anyone so we'll play the diplomatic card. Furthermore, the Olympics are filled with politics. Doesn't anyone find it strange that the Olympics promote the idea of "Peace and Harmony..." all warm fuzzy feelings towards each other...and this time it will take place... in China!?

Ohhhh the irony...
Yes, I definutely see the irony - and am greatful that the issue has been given attention - it needed to IMO. But why "punish" the atheletes?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:18 AM
Royal Highness

The thing we should really object to I think is that China was awarded the games in the first place.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
The thing we should really object to I think is that China was awarded the games in the first place.
Hear, hear.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
and yet again, The Olympics were created in order to keep a friendly non political channel open between all nations. It would be terrible for any country not to send a delegation.

Think of it this way, by the Olympics occuring in China, they have all that more attention thrown on the human rights violations than would have ever been the case. And, additionally, the Games offer the chance for people to come together and show that you do not need to violate human rights to have an orderly society.

The games should not be boycotted, because then the games themselves becoem an instrument of politics, and that would completely debase them.
Hm, the Nazis used the 1936 games to show the world an ideolized picture of the "new" Germany, including removing all signs of the violation of Human rights of the jews and that worked so well that the other European nations continued with their appeasement politics, giving Hitler the time to prepare for WWII. So I am against the Olympic Games in China, because they do the same.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Aristocracy

Frederik gave an interview to Danmarks Idręt-Forbund.

OL i Beijing 2008 - Kronprins Frederik

Anyone able to summarize what he's saying?
Old 02-09-2008, 04:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4phage View Post
Frederik gave an interview to Danmarks Idręt-Forbund.

OL i Beijing 2008 - Kronprins Frederik

Anyone able to summarize what he's saying?
He states his delight in being approached by the Danish sports organisation and encouraged to seek an IOC membership - being an active sportsman himself and very interested in sports generally. As to the political aspects and any inconsistencies with the traditional Danish stance of the apolitical royals, he says that he will be engaged in matters relating to sports and leaving politics to others.
Asked about IOC's somewhat tainted reputation he says that this is changing and that IOC today is very different from what it was in the '90s.

He is asked which games made an impression in him and he mentions **surprise surprise *** the games in Sydney in 2000 because of the very strong enthusiasm about the games which the Australian displayed everywhere.

Finally, he is asked which sports he is looking forward to watch in the upcoming games and he mentions the Danish male handball team (the new European champions) and that he knows that most of Denmark will be following them too. He also mentions all the sailing sports, rowing and wrestling.

He speaks differently I think; more slowly - very deliberately. It seems to me he is really making an effort not to speak too fast, too enthusiastically, so he avoids running into the unfinished sentences he is prone to