Christian's Birthday Photos - Are Members' Expectations Realistic?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only here would you find such an "interesting" thread :ROFLMAO:

I completely concur with CasTrio...even more so as being one of those tax-paying Danes.
I am very suprised by some of the outbursts that have surfaced after Christians birthday. I too had hoped for some pictures, but my goodness, Christian is 2 yrs old and has, as yet, no royal duties, so he isnt obliged to "perform" for us....
Royalty or not, he is a child and therefore not a public figure....And his parents, i find, are nevertheless generous in sharing him with us all year round.
I hope he had a wonderful, and private, birthday:flowers:

He is a child, a royal child, but a child none the less. Why should he have to have pictures taken at every turn just to satisfy the whims and wants of other people. I must say that I find this whole topic over the top, as there are certainly plenty of pictures available of this child.

And more to the point, do any of you know how incredibly difficult it is to get a child to sit still for a photo. Why should they have to anyway? Children should not have to sit still for a photo simply because of who they are. There are plenty of other photos available and why do they not suffice.

Besides, even royal families are entitled to some private family time once in a while, and perhaps they chose to make this birthday private for him. Goodness knows that he has had a major change in his life, what with becoming an older brother and no longer being the center of everything for his parents. That is a tough adjustment for any child, never mind one who has to sit still for photos. And when a childs environment is changes, typically they need more one on one attention, and maybe that is what his parents chose to give him with his birthday this year.

Awesome, awesome post. I was reading through some of the posts here and was honestly taken aback by some of the sentiments expressed. If they want to release photos of Christian, they will. If they don't want to, they won't. That's their child, they are free to disseminate photos of him as they see fit. Would you want someone pitching a fit because you didn't put photos of your child's birthday party online or something?

I understand that as royal watchers and observers, we are interested in what they're doing and where they're going and what they're wearing....but there comes a time when some of the expectations we're foisting on them turn unrealistic and a tad insensitive. It's a 2 year old's birthday party, not someone's coronation/enthronement/accession or wedding.

The sense of entitlement in this thread leaves me speechless.

Has anyone thought that maybe one of the kids arent well & would like to include both in the picture or that the pictures didnt turn out any nice & they decided to do it all again th enet day or two days later or why dont we just assume there are no pictures, no picture taken at all:D

That's certainly a possibility. Personally, I think that some of comments are bit hasty and premature. No official reason for a lack of photo have been given, yet some are quick to pass judgments. :cool:

This reminds me of Willem-Alexander's quote (thanks HenriM.) :
"
The monarchy is no ape-theatre. Throw a nickel and we perform a dance."

I don't know very well the habit of this princely couple towards the press but it seems to me that up to now they have used it with a great complicity. It's the reason why it's understable that a lot of people was waiting shots for the two birthday of the little and cute prince Christian.
I say that also because it's seem to me that the other grand children of the Quen Margareth were shoten in photo for their respective birthday until a recent date.
More, as the little Christian is so cute and as the last year a lot of good and well componed pics were given to the public, it was very easy to think that Frederic and Mary were going to show how beautiful are their nucleus familial. So is understable that the lot of people were waiting for this pics and despointed for lack of them, because a baby birthday is always a so charming event liked by a great part of the people.

Yes, it's true that it's not an obligation for Frederic and Mary to show their little baby boy in front a cake, the mouth full of chocolate with a pointed hat on the head and surrounding of many gifts, but as you know, its too easy pics mad the day of so much people that it's difficult to understand why this year - and up to now- we don't have this so kind " clichés".

If we don't have Christian portrait for his two year may be we shall have for the next one, it's not a State Affaire, isen't it?

Last edited:

Yes I agree very interesting.
The way I see it is:
  • They are paid by the Danish taxpayer but does that give people the right to demand family photos, my firm could never demand I supply children’s birthday photos, even though they pay me.
  • One or both of the children are ill.
  • It could be a good marketing ploy, when the reaction reaches fever pitch they release something, Look at the public interest and publicity created by not naming the children for months until the Christenings,
  • Or could be THE BOOK! A lot of people are very good at reading “Body Language” (not myself I have to have something pointed out and then often I really can’t see it) could be a smidgen of truth and all is not as happy as could be.
  • Anyway as others have pointed out Christmas is fast approaching and there are sure to be photos then :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree. If you ask me, this is a non-issue! I think we see lots of pics of Christian on special occasions and even casual private pics if one pays attention to the DRW site. In recent months we have seen vacation pics of the family during the summer and we got to see pics of the family at Fred's sailing event in early September. No pics of his 2nd birthday, not a big deal, imo. I find this all a bit humorous to see what people choose to focus on though.:lol:

Or could be THE BOOK! A lot of people are very good at reading “Body Language” (not myself I have to have something pointed out and then often I really can’t see it) could be a smidgen of truth and all is not as happy as could be.

And so no photo's of Christian on his second birthday could support the claims? Hmmm, that doesn't seem very logical to me ;) Where's the connection between birthday pictures and Frederik keeping in touch with past flames or their families?

It could be a good marketing ploy, when the reaction reaches fever pitch they release something

A marketing ploy? Why would they need to do that? That too doesn't make much sense to me I'm affraid.

Last edited:

:lol: I agree Madame Royale

I was annoyed for a while that they didn't release any pictures for Christian's birthday but it's not a milestone and we see heaps of photos of him anyway so it's not the end of the world.

I agree with many of the posters. Christian is a young child - he lives so much of his life in the public (as already noted) and perhaps this is one way for his parents just to enjoy a private family occassion?

Every time there is a wedding, funeral, milestone birthday they have to do the "publicity dance" - not to mention the many official events (dinners, galas, tours away from their young children) which M&F are obliged to participate in.

I was hoping for a picture or two, but I really dont see that I can blame them for not releasing one.
Perhaps the only reason the past ones were released was the obligation, one which is not so strong for a 2nd birthday???

He is a child, a royal child, but a child none the less. Why should he have to have pictures taken at every turn just to satisfy the whims and wants of other people. I must say that I find this whole topic over the top, as there are certainly plenty of pictures available of this child.
And more to the point, do any of you know how incredibly difficult it is to get a child to sit still for a photo. Why should they have to anyway? Children should not have to sit still for a photo simply because of who they are. There are plenty of other photos available and why do they not suffice.
Besides, even royal families are entitled to some private family time once in a while, and perhaps they chose to make this birthday private for him.
Of course but that doesn't mean they would't release photos!

So why they release photos in the first year birthday? Why they relase photos at the first day in Kindergarten?Why they release photos of Christian in the swimming pool?? Yes it is needed because he isn't a normal baby, he will be the future king, he is a baby Prince so everyone has the rigth to know and to participate a bit in his life and in his important events!!!:flowers:
The photos that ussualy are taken of Christian are very normal photos, he doesn't have to pose for the photos! And those kind of photos it is what we have expected to see, maybe Christian playing with Mary and Ziggy, maybe Christian at the Kindergarten playing with his friends, maybe Christian at the Zwimming pool!!! He doesn't have to be sit still for a photos:rolleyes:

I agree with many of the posters. Christian is a young child - he lives so much of his life in the public (as already noted) and perhaps this is one way for his parents just to enjoy a private family occassion?

Every time there is a wedding, funeral, milestone birthday they have to do the "publicity dance" - not to mention the many official events (dinners, galas, tours away from their young children) which M&F are obliged to participate in.

I was hoping for a picture or two, but I really dont see that I can blame them for not releasing one.
Perhaps the only reason the past ones were released was the obligation, one which is not so strong for a 2nd birthday???
Obrigation yes!Why they were obligated to do that in the first one and in the second one they would't?Why bee obligated?Because is a Royal and royals must be obligated to give something to society and to show sometimes a bit of their private life, it's a package that comes with all!!!

So why they release photos in the first year birthday? Why they relase photos at the first day in Kindergarten?Why they release photos of Christian in the swimming pool?? Yes it is needed because he isn't a normal baby, he will be the future king, he is a baby Prince so everyone has the rigth to know and to participate a bit in his life and in his important events!!!:flowers:
The photos that ussualy are taken of Christian are very normal photos, he doesn't have to pose for the photos! And those kind of photos it is what we have expected to see, maybe Christian playing with Mary and Ziggy, maybe Christian at the Kindergarten playing with his friends, maybe Christian at the Zwimming pool!!! He doesn't have to be sit still for a photos:rolleyes:

I think they released pictures of his first birthday and his first day of kindergarten because they are milestones. I don't know why they released the pictures of him in the swimming pool

I don't see a child's second birthday as a milestone, unless the child was gravely ill and not expected to see their second birthday. As I don't think this is the case with Christian, to say that they are "obligated" to provide photos of a birthday party that isn't significant to anyone but the family is a tad bit skewed.

Royals are human beings too, they are not required to be "on" 24 hours a day. They should be afforded some semblance of privacy and right to determine when and how photos of their family are made public. No one here is entitled to see anything from anyone. We see things at THEIR discretion. Perhaps some should keep that in mind.

I just read that Mary and Frederick and the two children spent Christians birthday in the royal family's summer cottage in northern zealand...it had been their intention all along to make this a private birthday. Voila.

As a parent myself, I have had pictures taken of my daughter for every one of her 8 birthdays, but I have only given them out to friends and family when she was born, her 1st b-day, and her 5th. when she hits 10, I'll give them out again.

That is a very sensible way to do it. Every five years. Yes, I agree with many posters here, that sharing birthday photos every year is unreasonable, not only because it puts too much pressure on the family's private space, but because it's impractical. As many have said, indeed, Prince Christian has enough exposure. So I and many of us, I can feel it, will be most happy to have birthday snaps every five years! :D Many members just had high hopes, I think, because the 1st birthday photos were so charming! Those wonderful Steen Brogaard pictures, with Christian peeping out under the polar bear (??) costume, were simply the best, weren't they? :angel:

During the first year there weren't as many pictures of Christian as there have been during the last year.
Especially during his first three months, between leaving the hospital/first official pictures and the christening, there were only 2 pictures released, in connection with the announcement of the christening date, and I do remember the media complaining about that and some even came up with a story about Christian being seriously ill and therefore being hidden (the Spanish couple did a photo shoot during their holidays in Teneriffa, in contrast). There were many comments during the first year about his parents' protectiveness and reluctance to expose him to media coverage. And still, if you compare, it seems there are more pictures than of any other royal child.

The swimmingpool picture was released just before the summer holidays started and I personally think they tried to make a deal with the press. We give you some pictures and you leave us alone during our holidays. Just like they did with Christian's first day at kindergarten.
(It wasn't successful though, of course there were paparazzi pictures of them at the beach, just as there were pictures of Frederik taking his son to kindergarten.)

I personally wasn't surprised to see no pictures - I was more surprised that some seemed to take them for granted - and I also don't really exspect one at Christmas. IMO last Christmas was an exeption because of the larger family attending. But there haven't been any Christmas pictures in the years before IIRC. So, who knows, perhaps the next official pictures will be taken at Isabella's 1st birthday?

It seems strange to me: this couple (and the DRF) is more "public" than others, they live in a place which is totally open to the public including photographers (unlike e.g. Zarzuela), they don't sue every time a paparazzi picture is taken of their children (unlike the Dutch couple), so there are many many pictures showing them in their privacy. In a way they "give" more than others - and controll the media less then others - but still, when there are no official pictures there is an uproar as if they committed a crime. It seems the more you give the more is exspected of you.

Last edited:
I just think they should have relased some pictures of Christian this year! Even if they want to keep the birthady party private (they had keep the last on eprivate, we had no photos of the party!!!!) they should have relase one or two photos of Christian in order to celebrate with everyone this special occasio. To me a very negative point to Mary and Frederik!!!!

The sense of entitlement in this thread leaves me speechless.

Me to. Considering that Christian is going to be the King of Denmark one day, it is interesting to note, that there is no negative feeling in the danish medias about the missing birthday pictures neither among the danes.

Reading some of the postes here, I actually think it is a good thing that F&M has choosen not to release photoes of this very private event. I would hate to se Christian growing up having to live with the same crowed of papparatzia surrounding him as Princess Diana did. The sense of entitlement in this thread makes me fear that such a future could be his. Luckely this is Denmark, and hopfully we will never allow any of the persons in the DRF to have such a life - especially not the children.

He is just a cute little kid, having his second birthday. Leave him in peace.

I have been saddened by the sense of entitlement too, especially using arguments of taxpayers funding their lifestyles. Regardless of being royal or not, parents have a right to shield their children from public exposure and to give them privacy.

I don't think any picture from his second birthday could match the precious pictures of Christian marching this year or when he was picking raisins out of his father's pocket at the christening. Those moments were priceless.:wub:

It's only my private opinion, but I don't see the whole problem and fuss about the photos.
We all surely want pictures of Christian (or any Royal child) to say 'how cute' once more. But it's his big day, not ours. If his parent's don't think the poor boy should pose for every single brithday, then I respect the decision.

Of course, I think we will get pictures from the 'round birthdays' - 5 years, 10 years, etc, but why should we get pictures of a baby eating his cake?

Yes, Christian is not any private citizen, and nor are his parents. But that doesn't change the fact he is only ever a child.

I am sure he posed for pictures on his birthday they are only not given to the public.

It's only my private opinion, but I don't see the whole problem and fuss about the photos.
We all surely want pictures of Christian (or any Royal child) to say 'how cute' once more. But it's his big day, not ours.
If his parent's don't think the poor boy should pose for every single brithday, then I respect the decision.
Of course, I think we will get pictures from the 'round birthdays' - 5 years, 10 years, etc, but why should we get pictures of a baby eating his cake?

Yes, Christian is not any private citizen, and nor are his parents. But that doesn't change the fact he is only ever a child.

And so no photo's of Christian on his second birthday could support the claims? Hmmm, that doesn't seem very logical to me ;) Where's the connection between birthday pictures and Frederik keeping in touch with past flames or their families?

A marketing ploy? Why would they need to do that? That too doesn't make much sense to me I'm affraid.

What I was trying to say was, they need publicity to promote Denmark I read that Mary was worth millions (can’t remember just exactly how many) doing this and if they keep people guessing it creates more interest, hence more publicity.

As for the book comment it is possible they have some stress in their marriage at the moment, they are after all human and if by chance they are having a bit of a rough patch it would be hard to get a good family photo with people who can read body language picking it over with a fine tooth comb, which is what I thought would be posted. That’s not to say I believe any of the rubbish in that book either. Perhaps they just want to keep a low profile until all the talk created by the book dies down so this doesn’t happen.
Every newspaper, TV station and a couple of glossy mags in Australia have been carrying excerpts from the book all week, much more than what we have heard about the family for the last year or so. Releasing pictures at this time would possibly add to all the gossip, people would be looking for signs that not all was well in the pictures.

Now as I am a bit new to this posting and getting late I do hope I can get this posted right.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I was trying to say was, they need publicity to promote Denmark I read that Mary was worth millions (can’t remember just exactly how many) doing this and if they keep people guessing it creates more interest, hence more publicity.

Every newspaper, TV station and a couple of glossy mags in Australia have been carrying excerpts from the book all week, much more than what we have heard about the family for the last year or so. Releasing pictures at this time would possibly add to all the gossip, people would be looking for signs that not all was well in the pictures.

Now as I am a bit new to this posting and getting late I do hope I can get this posted right.

I guess youre statement about keeping people guessing refere to your earlyer post about keeping Christian and Isabellas names secret until the baptism. This has nothing to do with publicity. It's the way the DRF alwayes have done and not only the DRF - it is a quit common practise in Denmark also by commonors. I didn't know the names of my nieces and nephews until thier baptism.

I am surprises that the australian medias are so busy about that absurd book. Though the medias and newspapers i Denmark have responded to the book, the response wasn't massive and it was mainly in order to ridicule its content. I am positive that this silly book has nothing to do with the missing birthday pictures at all. It simply hasn't got sufficient interest i Denmark to make the DRF bring it into consideration. Why should they? The book was nothing but a one-day wonder without substance.

I have to agree. I can't believe some are calling them tacky for not releasing photos. I think some of us might be too obsessive.

I just read that Mary and Frederick and the two children spent Christians birthday in the royal family's summer cottage in northern zealand...it had been their intention all along to make this a private birthday. Voila.

As it should be. :flowers:

Of course the birthday party is private and if they intend to keep it that day so it should be, but release some photos doesn't have anything to do with it! I think it is a way of retaliation because of all the things it has been said regarding the Danish Royal family!

Frederik: Ha Ha! A book came out this week on my son's birthday. The book was a total bomb. A one day wonder, according to some Danes. But still because of this book I shall not allow any pics of Christian on his birthday. Oh I'll teach you people to give attention to some worthless book filled with rubbish and unsupported comments. Yep, no pics of Christian should hurt them enough!

Mary: You tell them Fred. That's right, because of a ridiculous book, no pics of Christian for the press and the public. We will show them!

;);););):lol::lol::lol:

Now me:
Please, they are a 'royal family'. And what is that second word? FAMILY! They have the right to choose not to release pics or to release pics. This is so not a big deal! Even if one wants to argue that they have released so many professional pics before of their family then one can argue that. However, can Fred and Mary not change if they want to? Possibly now they are both more experienced parents and wish to draw a line at the amount of pics released. After all do we not get pics of Christian ever? Nope, one can't say that we never see this child. We see him on a rather frequent basis, if you ask me! Granted those are not professionally done shots many times but still we see him. I personally think that Christian has likely been one of the most photographed royal kids during his life thus far. Fred and Mary celebrating his birthday in private, well I commend them for that! That is their right as a family!!!:)

Of course the birthday party is private and if they intend to keep it that day so it should be, but release some photos doesn't have anything to do with it! I think it is a way of retaliation because of all the things it has been said regarding the Danish Royal family!

I think that doesn't make sense as they can't hide Christian forever. It just doesn't add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom