The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Serene Highness

i'm very disappointed because i'm crazy about the lilleprince and was looking forward to a happy family photo to get the smear book off the front page. maybe they went out of town or soren steffen(usual photographer) had a conflict (they should call our girl madeleine , sickness (remember PH came home sick from korea), company etc-any # of reasons we don't have a photo yet (i'm still keeping my fingers crossed)
i will really be surprised if they don't release anything at all, but hey i'm a "sugah" i love them anyway, they've had enough piled on this week, i'm giving them a pass on this one.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

He is a child, a royal child, but a child none the less. Why should he have to have pictures taken at every turn just to satisfy the whims and wants of other people. I must say that I find this whole topic over the top, as there are certainly plenty of pictures available of this child.

And more to the point, do any of you know how incredibly difficult it is to get a child to sit still for a photo. Why should they have to anyway? Children should not have to sit still for a photo simply because of who they are. There are plenty of other photos available and why do they not suffice.

Besides, even royal families are entitled to some private family time once in a while, and perhaps they chose to make this birthday private for him. Goodness knows that he has had a major change in his life, what with becoming an older brother and no longer being the center of everything for his parents. That is a tough adjustment for any child, never mind one who has to sit still for photos. And when a childs environment is changes, typically they need more one on one attention, and maybe that is what his parents chose to give him with his birthday this year.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Intresting topic but I dont see the point. its simple, no pictures, whats the big deal ?! when we get pictures, the only things are said, "oh he is so cute" "he has grown so much, he looks more like Mum/dad" & it goes on. Cant we just wish him a Happy Birthday & a happy day with his family.

If we dont get to see pictures today we will tomorrow froma different event, its not like his parents are hidding him from us. Maybe pictures were taken, who knows? but the family would like to release them in about a week or two...

Complaining about no pictures wont make a difference....
Old 10-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Courtier

I am happy if there are photos and happy if there are no photos. As one or two posters have mentioned we see enough photos throughout the year of this cute Prince. The CP couple have every right to decide if they want pics released or not. I am sure they are like all the other CP couples who want their young children protected from the glare of the media because there time will come when they will be in the public eye continually. Fred is sporting an injured eye at the moment, if pics were released now, people will be speculating about how he picked up his injury instead of focusing on the little prince so who knows pics may come out within the next week. Who are we to complain, not even the Danish are complaining.

Stellad
Old 10-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Maybe it is reasonable for the Danish taxpayers to "expect" birthday pictures, and even to complain when they aren't forthcoming. But I think that personally, I don't have a right expecting anything. I can't speak for other members, but I don't think the DRF should cater to the "expectations" for pics of the royal children just for "us" (by "us" I mean the wider royal watching community beyond Denmark). I can't speak at all for what the Danish taxpayers should and shouldn't "expect" because I don't know the Danish tax system, i.e. how much is payed for the royal family and all that.
But personally, I just appreciate whatever the Crown Prince family wants to share with us. It was lovely to have Christian's first birthday photos, but if they don't release photos one year, I see that as a personal choice for them. They aren't obligated (from my POV, take it for what it's worth) and I think they do it when they are comfortable doing it. It is a privilege for me to see updates from the royal house on the development of Prince Christian, but I will never hold it as a right. But as I said, for people who pay taxes into the DRF, maybe it is a right. I can't say.
You are so right. I am a danish taxpayer and I don't think DRF are obliged to release pictures of Christian.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Royal Highness

It's disappointing that no pictures have been released, but it's not obligatory for them to release the pictures. I don't think that they would be angry over some idiodic book not to release pictures. There is some underlying reason: Christian might be sick (let's hope not, but it is possible, especially with a toddler) so they might do it in a week or two; they might be having private things right now, and release the pictures later; or they might not release them at all. We can complain all that we want, but in reality it can't do much of anything.

And I'm not saying it's not o.k. to be upset, angry, or disappointed. I was looking forward to seeing the pictures, too. But we need to focus on other things, because it's not in our control.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

While many are disappointed of the lack of photos celebrating Christian's second birthday, here are several photos that I have personally never seen before courtesy of Royals.Weblog.nl. That should tie many over until the next time there are official and unofficial photos released to the press (or by the media.)
Old 10-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Courtier

I find it kinda funny that people are upset, disappointed, ect that pics were not released for Christian's birthday.
As others have said, his parents are not obligated to release anything if they so choose to do so. Sure they did it when he was born, and then again for his 1st b-day, but show me a parent who has not done such a thing?
As a parent myself, I have had pictures taken of my daughter for every one of her 8 birthdays, but I have only given them out to friends and family when she was born, her 1st b-day, and her 5th. when she hits 10, I'll give them out again.
Maybe this is what his parents chose to do? Even though he is a Prince, childhood pictures are a very personal thing. Birthdays are very personal. He shares enough of his life with the public as do his parents, so maybe they decided to keep him out of the limelight for his special day to share just with him immediate family.
Who knows what their reasons are, but in my personal opinion, I don't think they need a reason at all.
oh and as for not releasing pictures because of a stupid book and all the press about it, seriously, any happy pictures of a cute child celebrating his birthday would knock that nonsense right off the front pagesso I don't think that should even be considered a factor in this.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
It could have been because of the book saying not so good things about the Danish Monarchy.
Yes lets wait and see!
That could be a feasible reason. Wouldn't it be better to have photos showing what a beautiful family they are with Christian being the star of the show and some with him and Isabella? Mary and Fred could look lovingly at their children and each other. This would be a good way to attempt to counteract what is written in the new book. What do you all think?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by starnightsky View Post
That could be a feasible reason. Wouldn't it be better to have photos showing what a beautiful family they are with Christian being the star of the show and some with him and Isabella? Mary and Fred could look lovingly at their children and each other. This would be a good way to attempt to counteract what is written in the new book. What do you all think?
Imo, i dont think thats the reason but if so, couldnt they put on a happy face & act for 5min that they are a happy family?

Has anyone thought that maybe one of the kids arent well & would like to include both in the picture or that the pictures didnt turn out any nice & they decided to do it all again th enet day or two days later or why dont we just assume there are no pictures, no picture taken at all

It doesnt always mean that one thing leads to other meaning that the book leads to no pictures, that would be a childish act imo
Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Only here would you find such an "interesting" thread

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Gentry

I completely concur with CasTrio...even more so as being one of those tax-paying Danes.
I am very suprised by some of the outbursts that have surfaced after Christians birthday. I too had hoped for some pictures, but my goodness, Christian is 2 yrs old and has, as yet, no royal duties, so he isnt obliged to "perform" for us....
Royalty or not, he is a child and therefore not a public figure....And his parents, i find, are nevertheless generous in sharing him with us all year round.
I hope he had a wonderful, and private, birthday
Old 10-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
He is a child, a royal child, but a child none the less. Why should he have to have pictures taken at every turn just to satisfy the whims and wants of other people. I must say that I find this whole topic over the top, as there are certainly plenty of pictures available of this child.

And more to the point, do any of you know how incredibly difficult it is to get a child to sit still for a photo. Why should they have to anyway? Children should not have to sit still for a photo simply because of who they are. There are plenty of other photos available and why do they not suffice.

Besides, even royal families are entitled to some private family time once in a while, and perhaps they chose to make this birthday private for him. Goodness knows that he has had a major change in his life, what with becoming an older brother and no longer being the center of everything for his parents. That is a tough adjustment for any child, never mind one who has to sit still for photos. And when a childs environment is changes, typically they need more one on one attention, and maybe that is what his parents chose to give him with his birthday this year.

Awesome, awesome post. I was reading through some of the posts here and was honestly taken aback by some of the sentiments expressed. If they want to release photos of Christian, they will. If they don't want to, they won't. That's their child, they are free to disseminate photos of him as they see fit. Would you want someone pitching a fit because you didn't put photos of your child's birthday party online or something?

I understand that as royal watchers and observers, we are interested in what they're doing and where they're going and what they're wearing....but there comes a time when some of the expectations we're foisting on them turn unrealistic and a tad insensitive. It's a 2 year old's birthday party, not someone's coronation/enthronement/accession or wedding.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 10-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Courtier

The sense of entitlement in this thread leaves me speechless.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Has anyone thought that maybe one of the kids arent well & would like to include both in the picture or that the pictures didnt turn out any nice & they decided to do it all again th enet day or two days later or why dont we just assume there are no pictures, no picture taken at all
That's certainly a possibility. Personally, I think that some of comments are bit hasty and premature. No official reason for a lack of photo have been given, yet some are quick to pass judgments.

This reminds me of Willem-Alexander's quote (thanks HenriM.) :
"
The monarchy is no ape-theatre. Throw a nickel and we perform a dance."
Old 10-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know very well the habit of this princely couple towards the press but it seems to me that up to now they have used it with a great complicity. It's the reason why it's understable that a lot of people was waiting shots for the two birthday of the little and cute prince Christian.
I say that also because it's seem to me that the other grand children of the Quen Margareth were shoten in photo for their respective birthday until a recent date.
More, as the little Christian is so cute and as the last year a lot of good and well componed pics were given to the public, it was very easy to think that Frederic and Mary were going to show how beautiful are their nucleus familial. So is understable that the lot of people were waiting for this pics and despointed for lack of them, because a baby birthday is always a so charming event liked by a great part of the people.

Yes, it's true that it's not an obligation for Frederic and Mary to show their little baby boy in front a cake, the mouth full of chocolate with a pointed hat on the head and surrounding of many gifts, but as you know, its too easy pics mad the day of so much people that it's difficult to understand why this year - and up to now- we don't have this so kind " clichés".

If we don't have Christian portrait for his two year may be we shall have for the next one, it's not a State Affaire, isen't it?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post

Yes I agree very interesting.
The way I see it is:
  • They are paid by the Danish taxpayer but does that give people the right to demand family photos, my firm could never demand I supply children’s birthday photos, even though they pay me.
  • One or both of the children are ill.
  • It could be a good marketing ploy, when the reaction reaches fever pitch they release something, Look at the public interest and publicity created by not naming the children for months until the Christenings,
  • Or could be THE BOOK! A lot of people are very good at reading “Body Language” (not myself I have to have something pointed out and then often I really can’t see it) could be a smidgen of truth and all is not as happy as could be.
  • Anyway as others have pointed out Christmas is fast approaching and there are sure to be photos then
Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I agree. If you ask me, this is a non-issue! I think we see lots of pics of Christian on special occasions and even casual private pics if one pays attention to the DRW site. In recent months we have seen vacation pics of the family during the summer and we got to see pics of the family at Fred's sailing event in early September. No pics of his 2nd birthday, not a big deal, imo. I find this all a bit humorous to see what people choose to focus on though.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Or could be THE BOOK! A lot of people are very good at reading “Body Language” (not myself I have to have something pointed out and then often I really can’t see it) could be a smidgen of truth and all is not as happy as could be.
And so no photo's of Christian on his second birthday could support the claims? Hmmm, that doesn't seem very logical to me Where's the connection between birthday pictures and Frederik keeping in touch with past flames or their families?

Quote:
It could be a good marketing ploy, when the reaction reaches fever pitch they release something
A marketing ploy? Why would they need to do that? That too doesn't make much sense to me I'm affraid.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 10-18-2007, 12:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I agree Madame Royale

I was annoyed for a while that they didn't release any pictures for Christian's birthday but it's not a milestone and we see heaps of photos of him anyway so it's not the end of the world.

Tags
prince christian