Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine, News Part 3: November 2015 - June 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a lovely photo of Christian. I hope he's had a nice birthday - I cannot believe he is twelve already, time really does fly.

Looks like a standard preteen boy, not impressed by mom trying to snap his pictures. Mom took a picture when he was relaxed and willing to stay put for it. Little bit of character coming through :cool:

Haven't been around as long as many of you. Didn't venture past the royalty section of people magazine until around when Victoria got married. Until then I was mainly British royals (my first big royal thing though was watching Sophie and Edward marry). But I can still picture little Christian as a page for Victoria. Hard to believe that was seven years ago.

Congratulations to Prince Christian, who is now 12 years old. Despite the young age he has already a big place in the Danes hearts. And this in no surprise, says historian Lars Hovbakke.

- He is a sympathetic, natural and well-behaved boy who is very aware of his siblings. Interest for others is a good feature to have if you are going to be king.

- Understand in that the way he behaves when he is on official duties. He bows and remembers all the things that one can not expect of a boy at that age, he says, and continues:

- But in contrast to his father, Frederik, who had a hard time finding himself in the role when he was younger, Christian fell very naturally in his role.

TV2 News has made a little birthday-video:

Wonderful! :flowers: I find the linked video enchanting. One can see the emerging man in the boy.

:previous: How nice. thank you for sharing.
Great that he can do these activities with his schoolmates

(I‘m not sure where to put this, as it’s more a few thoughts an questions than „news“ but I can’t find a better thread either)

Seeing the pictures of Felix‘ confirmation in the documentary about Joachim I was wondering about Christian’s confirmation. I understand that a confirmation normally is quite important in Denmark – at least for the confirmand and his/her family? Does someone know/recall details about Frederik’s confirmation? Do you think Christian’s will be similiar?
At least for Nikolai’s and Felix‘ confirmations there were a few family photos. There are a few photos of Frederik’s and Joachim’s confirmations too- but I’m not sure when they were published?

It seems that it’s the DRF‘s tradition to have a „solo“ confirmation in the Fredensborg Palace Chapel. Do you think they will follow this tradition with Christian or will he join a confirmation group and/or be confirmed in a different church?

And do we know when Christian’s confirmation will be? If not, what is your guess? I looked for the confirmation dates of the older members of the DRF, they were all 13 or 14 years old at their confirmation:
Queen Margrethe was confirmed at the age of 14, a few days before her 15th birthday (01.04.1955). Frederik was confirmed a few days after his 13th birthday (28.05.1981), as was his brother Joachim one year later (16.06.1982). Nikolai was also confirmed when he was 13 years old (18.05.2013), three months before his 14th birthday. Felix was 14, so one year older, at his confirmation (01.04.2017 – the same day as his grandmother!). He turned 15 in October the same year.
Christian’s 13th birthday will be this year – but as it is in October I would guess that his confirmation won’t be a few days after his 13th birthday like his father’s and uncle‘s. Confirmations are usually in the spring, if I am not wrong?* That would mean that the confirmation will take place either in spring 2019 (when he’s 13) or one year later in spring 2020 (when he’s 14).

That would add up with information I found online which says (if I understand it correctly, I don’t speak Danish…) that the confirmation lessons in Denmark start in class 7 or 8 – and the confirmation takes place the following spring. As Christian started primary school in class 0 in 2011 he would start the lessons either this autumn (begin of class 7) or one year later.** However, as the DRF traditionally seems to choose for „solo“ confirmations, maybe all the things that usually are done don’t apply for Christian?***

*Which is why I find Joachims confirmation mid June a bit odd – it seems to me that they really wanted to confirm him that year no matter what?
**I can‘t find the school dates for the older DRF-members to check if they indeed were confirmed in class 7 or 8
*** And the confirmation dates at least for Frederik and Joachim don’t seem to be connected to the classes they were in – as they were both in the same class, IIRC?

Last edited:
Congratulations on your first post, Iolanthe :flowers:

And what a start! ;)?

It will indeed be interesting as to whether M&F will break with the royal tradition of a solo-confirmation.
One reason to continue the tradition is that Christian being confirmed with his class will be a public event usually at a local church. And that means the presence of the DRF will likely detract from the other confirmands and what to them is also a big day.
And there is also the logistic matter to take into consideration. Many local churches only allow a very limited number of relatives to attend the ceremony, simply due to lack of space. For the DRF it's a big family-event.

I think Christian will be confirmed next year again. I.e. in 2020. There is a tendency IIRC in Copenhagen to be confirmed when older than in western DK where the average age is around 14.

The confirmations can start as early as late March and end as late as mid June, depending on when it's Easter that year.

As for your questions regarding Joachim and Frederik's confirmations, that I think I'll leave to someone else. ?

Last edited:

And what a start! ;)?

It will indeed be interesting as to whether M&F will break with the royal tradition of a solo-confirmation.
One reason to continue the tradition is that Christian being confirmed with his class will be a public event usually at a local church. And that means the presence of the DRF will likely detract from the other confirmands and what to them is also a big day.
And there is also the logistic matter to take into consideration. Many local churches only allow a very limited number of relatives to attend the ceremony, simply due to lack of space. For the DRF it's a big family-event.

I think Christian will be confirmed next year again. I.e. in 2020. There is a tendency IIRC in Copenhagen to be confirmed when older than in western DK where the average age is around 14.

The confirmations can start as early as late April and end as late as mid June, depending on when it's Easter that year.

As for your questions regarding Joachim and Frederik's confirmations, that I think I'll leave to someone else. ?

While watching the documentary on Prince Joachim posted by Muhler, I discovered this documentary on the Danish Royal Year 2017 with (drum roll) English subtitles:flowers: Many questions will be answered by watching this hour long treat....enjoy

In the Lutheran Church the usual date for confirmation is Pentecost, and that does indeed depend on the date of Easter, as Muhler stated. Ascension Day (always a Thursday) is 40 days after Easter, the following Sunday is the Sunday after Ascension, and the Sunday after that is Pentecost - Whitsunday in some places. It wasn't always this way - I was confirmed on Palm Sunday, that's the way it was done in my parish. Nowadays Pentecost is the preferred day because of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.

Both of the recent documentaries are very good. Wish the one about Joachim also had English subtitles.

And what a start! ;)?

The confirmations can start as early as late March and end as late as mid June, depending on when it's Easter that year.

I'm of two minds. On one hand Mary and Frederik seem to prioritize Christian being a normal kid in his day to day life. On the other hand they haven't hesitated to expose him to the royal side of his life when appropriate - accompanying them to some events, letting him speak to the press, etc - and they have followed tradition quite closely with him in many ways, starting with his name. So I guess it depends on whether the confirmation is more of a personal or official event in their eyes.

Thank you all for your answers!

And what a start! ;)?
Thank you, Muhler! I really enjoy your posts here - they are in fact a huge factor why I come to this board regulary and tend to stay pretty long sometimes :whistling:

In the Lutheran Church the usual date for confirmation is Pentecost, and that does indeed depend on the date of Easter, as Muhler stated. Ascension Day (always a Thursday) is 40 days after Easter, the following Sunday is the Sunday after Ascension, and the Sunday after that is Pentecost - Whitsunday in some places. It wasn't always this way - I was confirmed on Palm Sunday, that's the way it was done in my parish. Nowadays Pentecost is the preferred day because of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
Thank you for your answer, MidwestMom! Not being relgious myself, I looked for information about (and maybe rules for) the usual confirmation dates but couldn't find something detailed. I guessed there had to be a connection to Easter (there always is;)), but the (official) church sites didn't state anything.
Slightly off topic, but when I understand you correctly an autumn, winter or late summer confirmation would theoretically be possible? As a confirmation on or around Pentecost is just a tradition/tendency and not a "hard rule"?

I'm of two minds. On one hand Mary and Frederik seem to prioritize Christian being a normal kid in his day to day life. On the other hand they haven't hesitated to expose him to the royal side of his life when appropriate - accompanying them to some events, letting him speak to the press, etc - and they have followed tradition quite closely with him in many ways, starting with his name. So I guess it depends on whether the confirmation is more of a personal or official event in their eyes.

Thank you camelot - I am thinking the same!
I would guess that if they see a solo Fredensborg Palace chapel as a DRF tradition, they will certainly follow this tradition, at least with Christian.
I would personally think that the most important part of the tradition is the Fredensborg Palace chapel - not necessarily the confirmand being alone. As Muhler pointed out the solo aspect could infact be just a logistical consequence.
Maybe they could compromise? E.g. Christian could take the confirmation lessons as part of a group, take part in its activities, maybe visit/take part in the confirmation ceremony of the rest of the group (as a guest) and still have his solo confirmation a few days later at Fredensborg Palace Chapel - maybe with the other group members attending to.

Obviously thats all just pure speculation. I'm courious what they will choose in the end, but it seems that we will have to wait for that for at least one year.

In Denmark the usual day for the confirmation is "St. Bededag" (Great Prayerday). It is always on a Friday. This day was invented by Struensee. This day is ca. 2 weeks before Ascension.
But it can also be on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd Sunay after Easter.

Thank you, FasterB!
Following yours and MidwestMom's posts I looked up Easter and the other holy days for the years in question.

It seems that the DRF is not following that or any other pattern for their confirmation dates. Or I am missing it:
If I looked it up correctly, Margrethe was confirmed on a Friday, one week before Easter.
Frederik was confirmed on Ascension Day, thus a Thursday.
Joachim was confirmed on a Wednesday, more than two months after Easter.
Nikolai was confirmed on a Saturday, one day before Pentecost.
And Felix was confirmed on a Saturday, two weeks before Easter.

So no tradition here that Christian would have to follow, I would think.

BTW: In a recent German article (I won't post a link here, because all my posts with links seem to get reviewed and thus not (or not soon) published) there is a reference to the biography book about Frederik stating that he was asked by Henrik to hold a small speech to thank his family at his confirmation. He was really nervous about the speech or better the few words he had to say - we already know about his problems with public speaking.

Last edited:
Thank you FasterB for that additional information. I should have clarified that my answer was based on the Lutheran churches in the US. Now I'm wondering if some of the Swedish Lutheran churches more prevalent in the plains states (farther to the west of where I live) observe the days you mentioned. I'll try to find out.

It's not a rule even for us. My youngest son was confirmed in the fall, simply because we didn't have a pastor for a while. By the time he arrived Pentecost was well past, so he accelerated the instruction period.

Who was Struensee?

They are beautiful. It's incredible that they are seven years now.

What wonderful new birthday pictures!
Can’t understand it is 7 years ago....
Josephine is a true mini-Mary, eyes, smile, shape, everything. Beautiful :wub:
Vincent is a good mix between Frederik and Mary, beautiful boy :wub:

Charming children. F&M create pretty children.
I think the first pictures is the annual school pictures. I also really like the two last pictures taken by Mary herself - they are from the familys Christmas in Australian.

Happy birthday Vincent and Josephine.
And thanks for the beautiful sunny weather today.

BT birthday article and video:

“Few twins have received so much attention, as Frederik and Mary's two youngest children, Vincent and Josephine, who are today seven years old. Ever since Mary's third pregnancy was with twins - incidentally to the surprise of the parents themselves - the two youngest have been Denmarks little charmers.”

https://www.bt.dk/royale/klar-tilly...ine-de-royale-tvillinger-fylder-syv-aar-i-dag

TV2 article:
Prinsesse Josephine og prins Vincent fylder år - TV 2

Last edited by a moderator:
So hard to believe they’re seven! Josephine reminds me more of Mary’s sisters than Mary herself but she favours the Donaldson side of the family, for sure. I don’t know who Vincent looks like but he’s a stunning child. If adolescence treats him kindly he’s going to be a very handsome man. Much more importantly they both seem like very sweet natured, happy children from what we’ve seen of them so far.

Which color are their eyes exactly? In the birthday photos it seems to me Vincent and Josephine have brown eyes. I remember their eyes as blue like Christian and Isabella.

They look deep blue to me. A shade darker than Frederik's eyes.

Vincent has blue eyes for sure. Josephine's always looked a bit green to me. Maybe a greenish blue?

Wow, time flies! I can't believe Josephine and Vincent are seven already. Their new photo is very sweet.

Tomorrow, 21st April, Isabella can celebrates her 11th birthday. :flowers::daneflag2:

While we wait for new birthday pictures.

Here a large gallery with pictures from Bellas life in chronological order.

(A bad Google translate of the gallery's text)

"While we are waiting for tomorrow's new birthday photo ....

Tomorrow, April 21, 2018, Denmark's Princess Isabella turns 11 years old. On April 21, 2007, Denmark is standing still when Crown Princess Mary gives Crown Prince Frederik a daughter and Denmark their first princess born in 61 years. A little girl was born at 16.02 and weighed 3350 grams and measured 50 centimeters...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom