Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine, News Part 3: November 2015 - June 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the Danish education system is the same as in Portugal (it looks like it). Here Primary Education is from 6-9 years old, Middle School from 10-14 years old, High School from 15-17 years old, University from 18 years old onwards.

Christian is 15, right? Hasn't he been in highschool for a couple of years (since about 12-13), then?
I have only the Dutch system as reference, of course, but here it is primairyschool ages 4 to 12, highschool ages 12 to 16-18 (depending on which highschool level you attend) and then practical education/college/university, or work (but only after you've turned 18).

It depends on what you call "High School". In the US and Canada, High School normally covers Grades 9-12 only (ages 14/15 to 17/18). Grades 6-8 (or 7-8) are "Middle School".

However, some people alternatively call Middle School "Junior High School" and High School properly is called "Senior High School".

Last edited:
Yes, that is why I wrote that I only have our own system as reference. There are such differences between countries. It made me curious about what the system is like in Denmark.

Christian is on his last year in primary school, 9th grade. That's why there was speculating as to what he would do after primary school....

Could you please explain how the Danish education system works and what options are available to the students?

Very briefly and very simplified.

Having finished 9th grade, the pupils con continue in 10th grade, especially if they are still not sure what direction to go, or simply feel they are not ready for high school.
Some 60 % will go to high school for three years attending one of several main lines, like the classical mathematical or language line.
Many opt for what is basically 10th grade at a continuation school, where they live. Many if not most continuation schools have a specialty, like sports.
Some will become au pairs abroad.
Others will become apprentices, typically for 3-4 years as painter, hairdresser, technician, shop assistant and so on, with schooling in between working.
A few go straight from school to getting a job. That is actually discouraged though as it is the aim of the Parliament that all should have an education.

Some will later return to what is a kind of high school for adults, HF, lasting two years.

It is common for people who have graduated from high school or who has finished learning a trade to appear in front of the draft board, typically at 18-21 years old. In reality all who become conscripts are volunteers, some 98-99 %.
Men must appear before the draft board. Women can appear if they wish to and also sign up for volunteer conscription.

After high school many if not most will take a year off, before going to university, trade school or some other education.
----------------
- So Christian: High school. Perhaps six months to a year doing something else, like working on a farm in Australia or travel. Draft board and volunteer conscription. Frederik and Joachim chose the army, but perhaps Christian will chose the navy or air force. NCO-school and officers academy.
Then in his early twenties Christian will attend university, both in DK and abroad. In between he will return to the military while moving up the ranks.

Basic school in DK is 0-9th grade. About 6-15 years of age.

Thank you Muhler, for your explanation.

Do you already know where Prince Christian is going to study this year?

Do you already know where Prince Christian is going to study this year?

No.

But there is a high school right next to the school he and his siblings attend, so a logic guess would be there.
Can't remember the name off hand.

Here in England the schools are returning next Monday.

Nice to hear that the Danish children can go back.

No.

But there is a high school right next to the school he and his siblings attend, so a logic guess would be there.
Can't remember the name off hand.

Do you mean Øregaard Gymnasium, the high school which his father and uncle attended?

Other possibilities would be the schools which have already been "tested" by his cousins: Gammel Hellerup Gymnasium (Felix) and Herlufsholm Skole (Nikolai).

I guess Christian's choice will be heavily influenced by the experiences of his relatives.

Or he and his parents will choose something completely new, just like with his primary school.

Do you mean Øregaard Gymnasium, the high school which his father and uncle attended?

Other possibilities would be the schools which have already been "tested" by his cousins: Gammel Hellerup Gymnasium (Felix) and Herlufsholm Skole (Nikolai).

I guess Christian's choice will be heavily influenced by the experiences of his relatives.

Or he and his parents will choose something completely new, just like with his primary school.

Yes, that's the one.

My bet is on Øregaard, because a number of children of M&F's outer circle of friends attend Tranegårds School and will likely opt for Øregaard High School. (Some may even have older siblings going there.) But also because a number of Christian's classmates are likely to cross the street so to speak to Øregaard. We must assume that Christian as well as his siblings, have found friends among their classmates.

New news from Prince Christian
⁣At the end of June, HRH Prince Christian concludes the ninth grade at Tranegårdskolen in Gentofte, where the Prince has been a student since the first year of primary school. The Prince wishes to continue his education at Herlufsholm Gymnasium in Næstved, where he is enrolled as a boarding student after the summer holidays.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/hkh-prins-christian-i-gymnasiet-paa-herlufsholm

More information about Prince Christian's new school:
https://herlufsholm.dk/uddannelser/gymnasiet/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herlufsholm_School

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but if you don't mind I have to point out that the translation is a bit off:

"At the end of June, His Royal Highness, Prince Christian's will finish ninth grade at Tranegårdskolen in Gentofte, where the Prince has been a student since 0th grade. ⁣

⁣The prince wants to continue his schooling at Herlufsholm Gymnasium in Næstved, where he is registered to be a boarding student after the summer holidays."

So he will attend the same school as his cousin Nikolai.

I'm sorry but if you don't mind I have to point out that the translation is a bit off:

"At the end of June, His Royal Highness, Prince Christian's will finish ninth grade at Tranegårdskolen in Gentofte, where the Prince has been a student since 0th grade. ⁣

⁣The prince wants to continue his schooling at Herlufsholm Gymnasium in Næstved, where he is registered to be a boarding student after the summer holidays."

Thanks! So, he is up to boarding school (makes a lot more sense than the 'food department' :flowers:). Is that a normal practice in his social class in Denmark?

Last edited:
ROFL Food department? It’s modern times! Perhaps Google thinks the Future King of Denmark needs a side gig as a caterer;)

ROFL Food department? It’s modern times! Perhaps Google thinks the Future King of Denmark needs a side gig as a caterer;)

As you can see, I don't understand Dane, and when I translated the statement, it did.
However, I have already corrected the post.

As you can see, I don't understand Dane, and when I translated the statement, it did.
However, I have already corrected the post.

English version of the news from the DRF
https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/hrh-prince-christian-will-attend-the-gymnasium-at-herlufsholm

The school also has day students but as it's located about an hour by car from Copenhagen, it would be more practical (and more fun) for Christian to be boarding.

Does anyone know if Princess Alexandra's daughter Countess Ingrid is still at Herlufsholm?

Wow, didn't expect that. Was sure it was gonna be between Øregård and Gammel Hellerup Gymnasium – both secondary schools close to Tranegårdskolen in the Hellerup-Gentofte area. But then, he's always seemed pretty close to Nikolai, and it seems Nikolai was very fond of his years at Herlufsholm, so there's a good chance he may have recommended it.

Bummer, I was more invested when I thought Prince Christian next educational endeavor was cooking school. :lol:

Didn't see that one coming.

I too expected Christian to go to high school in Copenhagen.

But it makes sense in hindsight. As mentioned Nikolai was fond of attending Herlufsholm - not least because he met his now longterm girlfriend there...
And I guess Christian has been talking with Nikolai about going there.
Also, Some children of friends of F&M will have or are attending Herlufsholm and perhaps one or two from Christian's school will go with him, so it's not like Christian will be alone.
It will also mature him in the sense that there is a certain discipline at Herlufsholm, not strict as such, but there are expectations and things and rules you must adhere to. That will mature him and teach him to stand on his own two legs.
The majority of those who attend Herlufsholm belongs to the segment, where being friends with or at least meeting regularly with the DRF is far from uncommon.
Some may think that Christian's choice is a little too elitist, but Herlufsholm is a good school, so in regards to education it's not a bad choice. And Christian will mingle again with ordinary Danes when he is going to be a recruit.

Vincent may think it's pretty unfair to leave him alone with the girls. :D
And Mary may feel a little sting in her heart when "mother's little boy" leaves the nest.
Danes here may think of Lis Sørensen and the song: Fuld af nattens stjerner.

Well, after one year of mostly homeschooling and being confined to his home and family, Christian is obviously ready to leave the nest and to experience boarding school which he did not in Switzerland.

Interesting news!

Presuming he stays at this school until he graduates, will he be there for two or three years?

I suspected when they announced that the children would board short term in Switzerland it might have been planned partly as a trial to see if Christian wanted to start boarding school, in Denmark or elsewhere, for this coming school year.

Nikolai went to the same school but Felix stayed in Copenhagen, right?

:previous: The gymnasium is three years.

Felix chose Gammel Hellerup Gymnasium near Alexandra's old house. The first Danish royal to attend a non-private secondary school, I believe.

Interesting news!

Presuming he stays at this school until he graduates, will he be there for two or three years?

I suspected when they announced that the children would board short term in Switzerland it might have been planned partly as a trial to see if Christian wanted to start boarding school, in Denmark or elsewhere, for this coming school year.

Nikolai went to the same school but Felix stayed in Copenhagen, right?

Three years.

High school (gymnasium) in DK is three years.
Correct, Nikolai went to Herlufsholm, while Felix opted for a high school in Copenhagen - a high school, that as far as I understand, has a large segment of students from the more affluent parts of Copenhagen.
At Herlufsholm the majority of students are from affluent families all over DK. The difference between Herlufsholm and the high school Felix is attending is perhaps that showing off is frowned upon at Herlufsholm. ;)
Jet-set versus old money.

AFAIK, they didn't board in Switzerland.?

Last edited:
No, they didn't. They stayed in a chalet with Mary (and Frederik who dropped in when he could).

Oh, ok. I thought I read somewhere at the time that the plan was for them to board for at least part of their time there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom