Prince Christian's First Day of Nursery School: March 27, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GlitteringTiaras said:
Will it be a public nursery school for Prince Christian? The Sunday Herald Sun newspaper believes so. Read more about it here.

That article was in the Sunday Mail (local Adelaide Sunday newspaper) today too.

Is there any official statement saying that he will attend a nursery school?I think he will be mucht more happy spending the day playing with other kids and having some contact with them, then spending his time at home with his nanny! He will learn how to behave with other kids, he will learn how to share toys, to wait to eat his meal, to sleep without having always his moom or his nanny around him!He will learn how to be a real boy in this society!That is very good!My congratulations to Princess Mary and Prince Frederick!

I don't believe there has been any official statement about Christian going to a school.

I do think that Christian probably has contact with other children right now. Their parents have many friends that have kids, so I'm sure he gets to interact with other children.

On the other hand, I think he is still pretty young (1 1/2 years) to be an active participant in playdates, like a 4 year old would.

biboquinhas said:
Is there any official statement saying that he will attend a nursery school?I think he will be mucht more happy spending the day playing with other kids and having some contact with them, then spending his time at home with his nanny! He will learn how to behave with other kids, he will learn how to share toys, to wait to eat his meal, to sleep without having always his moom or his nanny around him!He will learn how to be a real boy in this society!That is very good!My congratulations to Princess Mary and Prince Frederick!

Aaw! how nice for him! And very good that it is a while before the new baby is born, so he will not feel exchanged. Maybe it is a strategy that he won't get too jealous when his sibling arrieves and his Mommy has less time for him, because by then he will be used to going away anyway for a short time and playing with other children.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what kind of daycare it is? Like a nursery school thing? Or just simply daycare for when his parents can't be with him? Or is it a daycare that is designed to help Christian get more used to being with other kids his age?

This seems a little strange to me especially since Mary has wrapped up her public appearances already. But then again I can't read this press release b/c I don't speak Danish. So if someone could just explain a little more about this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I think Mary probably doesn't want to have any engagements when Christian starts daycare. She and Frederick will probably take him to daycare and pick him up.

It's good for Christian to know that Mom and Dad are still waiting for him, even when he is in daycare.

Aurora810 said:
This seems a little strange to me especially since Mary has wrapped up her public appearances already. But then again I can't read this press release b/c I don't speak Danish. So if someone could just explain a little more about this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

ldt20 said:
I think Mary probably doesn't want to have any engagements when Christian starts daycare. She and Frederick will probably take him to daycare and pick him up.

It's good for Christian to know that Mom and Dad are still waiting for him, even when he is in daycare.

Yes, I can understand that. But my main question is what is daycare in Denmark? Here in America no child has to go to daycare, it's not mandatory it's not a school thing. It's by choice when parents are working and can't be at home with their kids they put their kids in daycare.

So that's what I'm wondering what is daycare like in Denmark? Is this something Christian has to do or is it something that is traditionally for children of working parents that can't be home? Sorry but I'm having trouble understanding why a royal child would need to go to daycare unless it's something different then what American daycare is like.

I think the word in America is nursery. It is not mandatory. Just a place where parents can send their kids for a few hours a day, so they can start learning things (numbers, colors, etc.) and play with other kids. I know some stay-at-home moms do it so their children can interact with other children and they can also have some "mommy-time" to run errands, relax a bit, etc ;)

Another american word I think is Pre-School.

Aurora810 said:
Yes, I can understand that. But my main question is what is daycare in Denmark? Here in America no child has to go to daycare, it's not mandatory it's not a school thing. It's by choice when parents are working and can't be at home with their kids they put their kids in daycare.

So that's what I'm wondering what is daycare like in Denmark? Is this something Christian has to do or is it something that is traditionally for children of working parents that can't be home? Sorry but I'm having trouble understanding why a royal child would need to go to daycare unless it's something different then what American daycare is like.

ldt20 said:
I think the word in America is nursery. It is not mandatory. Just a place where parents can send their kids for a few hours a day, so they can start learning things (numbers, colors, etc.) and play with other kids. I know some stay-at-home moms do it so their children can interact with other children and they can also have some "mommy-time" to run errands, relax a bit, etc ;)

Another american word I think is Pre-School.

Alright that makes sense. But it still seems a little strange for a royal child to be going to daycare. I've just never heard of this for a royal child. Don't get me wrong this sounds as though it might be good for Christian but it also sounds rather "normal" to me. I just think sometimes there's a fine line between royals doing normal things and royals doing things in a more "royal" way. Not meaning to upset anyone just giving my opinion. :)

Apparently it's not that odd I just went over to some past threads of Catharina-Amalia and she has been going to nursery school as well. I think I'm getting tripped up on that word daycare that to me would be unbelievably weird for a royal child to go to daycare. Also I think Christian is just so young to be doing nursery school he's not even 2. But what do I know about this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the point (I mean: "normal-ness").
According to BB Mary & Frederik want their child to grow up as "normal" as possible, especially regarding his interaction with others.
As far as I understood their main reason to put Christian to day nursery is to train his social skills.

Day nursery is not mandatory but very "normal" in DK.

Last edited:
ricarda said:
That's the point (I mean: "normal-ness").
According to BB Mary & Frederik want their child to grow up as "normal" as possible, especially regarding his interaction with others.
As far as I understood their main reason to put Christian to day nursery is to train his social skills.

Day nursery is not mandatory but very "normal" in DK.

Yes, that's a great goal to want to raise a future king "normal" but it's not achievable. It's certainly achievable at this stage of Christian's life but at some point in his upbringing his training will have to become more "royal". I doubt we will see Christian attending a public high school. Get what I'm saying? At some point the prestigious will need to and will have to win out. After all he's a future KING.

Also not meaning to get picky but magazines and newspapers don't seem to reliable to me when it comes to stating the reasons that Mary and Fred put Christian in nursery school. Unless Mary and/or Fred gave a sit down exclusive interview I am careful on what I choose to believe but that's just me. Besides its not important what their reasons are their the parents and they can do what they want but why would they take it to a magazine first. This wasn't even announced by Fred or Mary it was announced on the RF's web site as a press release and signed by Thornit. Magazines and newspapers are sometimes just trying to sell their product.

Aurora810 said:
Yes, that's a great goal to want to raise a future king "normal" but it's not achievable. It's certainly achievable at this stage of Christian's life but at some point in his upbringing his training will have to become more "royal". I doubt we will see Christian attending a public high school. Get what I'm saying? At some point the prestigious will need to and will have to win out. After all he's a future KING.

Also not meaning to get picky but magazines and newspapers don't seem to reliable to me when it comes to stating the reasons that Mary and Fred put Christian in nursery school. Unless Mary and/or Fred gave a sit down exclusive interview I am careful on what I choose to believe but that's just me. Besides its not important what their reasons are their the parents and they can do what they want but why would they take it to a magazine first. This wasn't even announced by Fred or Mary it was announced on the RF's web site as a press release and signed by Thornit. Magazines and newspapers are sometimes just trying to sell their product.

Both Crownprince Frederik and his brother prince Joachim both attended a very public high shcool so i dont see the problem why Christian shouldnt

Aurora810, I agree with you.

No matter how "normal" you want to raise a future King, the bottom line is that he will be King.

On the other hand, it is much easier to have Christian have a normal lifestyle now that he is one, rather than in his teenage years and twenties when he'll have to understand his place in society.

To be a good royal, you can't be that different from the people, so when Christian is CP or King he'll be able to remember and utilize his "normal" experiences as a kid growing up.

Also, from what I've read, Frederick had a very "royal" childhood, didn't even seat to dinner with his parents till he was much older and was always with nannies. I think he regrets that and doesn't want it for Christian.

Aurora810 said:

Well, maybe there high school was technically a public school but it's still very "esteemed" type of school. It doesn't sound as though it's your typical high school. I would imagine children of well known people would go there. Not just anyone. And also Fred and Joachim did also attend boarding school in Normandy. They've had a decent balance of prestigious schooling. And also at wikipedia I read they attended schooling in Amalienborg palace, see that's more what I meant that at some point the schooling will have to be a little different.

ldt20 said:
Aurora810, I agree with you.

No matter how "normal" you want to raise a future King, the bottom line is that he will be King.

On the other hand, it is much easier to have Christian have a normal lifestyle now that he is one, rather than in his teenage years and twenties when he'll have to understand his place in society.

To be a good royal, you can't be that different from the people, so when Christian is CP or King he'll be able to remember and utilize his "normal" experiences as a kid growing up.

Also, from what I've read, Frederick had a very "royal" childhood, didn't even seat to dinner with his parents till he was much older and was always with nannies. I think he regrets that and doesn't want it for Christian.

Agreed! I think Fred and Mary will make sure there is a balance of normal and royal schools along with normal and royal experiences. That's the only way to do it. Right now it's easier for them to do that but later on I would think it would get harder. Although it seems that RF's can find ways to allow their children some privacy to grow up and to participate in normal life. Most of the current CP's went to universities in America, I'm sure they were treated more normal there b/c people wouldn't really know who they were. Victoria was able to get away from Sweden for awhile and be in America and really find herself while she was dealing with some things.

Aurora810 said:
Well, maybe there high school was technically a public school but it's still very "esteemed" type of school. It doesn't sound as though it's your typical high school. I would imagine children of well known people would go there. Not just anyone. And also Fred and Joachim did also attend boarding school in Normandy. They've had a decent balance of prestigious schooling. And also at wikipedia I read they attended schooling in Amalienborg palace, see that's more what I meant that at some point the schooling will have to be a little different.

Yes its a very normal high school named Øregård. Everyone can attend that school if ppl want too.

Oh I can not even begin to imagine being Mary on Tuesday, it is such a big think for Christian to be going to daycare.

In a way I think it would be harder for me if I was like Mary and not really having to put my child into a nursery, if you needed to work it would make it seem more important.

How many days would a child Christian's age attend daycare and for how many hours?

betina said:
Yes its a very normal high school named Øregård. Everyone can attend that school if ppl want too.

Okay, now I'm getting confused is it totally public? Meaning no one has to pay to go there? That's the difference in America between public and private, you must pay for a private school. Therefore children of more well known people attend private schools the schools are smaller and sometimes associated with a religion. Not that all private schools are that way but there's usually a certain type that chooses to go there and the students there definitely have extra guidelines that are followed then at public schools. Private schools here are also known as having higher education goals. So at Fred's high school would you see regular people's children there or is the majority of students from well to do families?

Aurora810 said:
Alright that makes sense. But it still seems a little strange for a royal child to be going to daycare. I've just never heard of this for a royal child. :)

Both Dutch princesses Amalia and Alexia attend Day care, Maxima talked about it during her Australian visit last year.
Norwegian princess Ingrid attends Day care, there was a photo opportunity the day she started and then the press were asked to let allow her to play and interact with other children without being photographed.

Even William and Harry attended nursery school, although they were a little older.

Aurora810 said:
Okay, now I'm getting confused is it totally public? Meaning no one has to pay to go there? That's the difference in America between public and private, you must pay for a private school. Therefore children of more well known people attend private schools the schools are smaller and sometimes associated with a religion. Not that all private schools are that way but there's usually a certain type that chooses to go there and the students there definitely have extra guidelines that are followed then at public schools. Private schools here are also known as having higher education goals. So at Fred's high school would you see regular people's children there or is the majority of students from well to do families?

Yes its totally public and you dont have to pay to go to that high school and the majority is regular kids :) Most ppl in Denmark attend normal high schools. we dont have that many privates.
The most pristigious school in Denmark is Herlufsholm where many rich kids attend, but the royals have never went to that school and as for prince Christian i will expect that he start in a high school in the Copenhagen area and a very public one too.

Charlotte1 said:
Both Dutch princesses Amalia and Alexia attend Day care, Maxima talked about it during her Australian visit last year.
Norwegian princess Ingrid attends Day care, there was a photo opportunity the day she started and then the press were asked to let allow her to play and interact with other children without being photographed.

Even William and Harry attended nursery school, although they were a little older.

Yes, I already did some research and posted that I realize now it isn't that strange. I'm still learning about royalty, in one way I understand they must do normal things to appeal more to the public. But at the same time I would think that the public wouldn't want them to be too normal b/c then what is the difference really. Does that make sense? On one hand I don't want them to be too different from me that I can't connect with them but at the same time I wouldn't want them to be so similar to everyone else that the sparkle of royalty gets lost in the mix. Know what I'm saying? It seems like a fine line!

betina said:
Yes its totally public and you dont have to pay to go to that high school and the majority is regular kids :) Most ppl in Denmark attend normal high schools. we dont have that many privates.
The most pristigious school in Denmark is Herlufsholm where many rich kids attend, but the royals have never went to that school and as for prince Christian i will expect that he start in a high school in the Copenhagen area and a very public one too.

Interesting Betina, pardon all my questions before but I'm just trying to learn.

Aurora810 said:
Interesting Betina, pardon all my questions before but I'm just trying to learn.

That is totally ok :flowers: Just keep asking its why we are here. Wish you good weekend

isnt christian abit too young for day care? how many hours does he have to go for?

How old were Alexia, Amalia and Ingrid when they started day care ?

Aurora810 said:

Just a couple slight sticking points. I am not a child of a well-known person nor am I a well-known person myself and I went to private school. I kinda got the feeling you were making private schools out to be some exclusive enclave, which some are...but most aren't. I went to an all-girls Catholic H.S. that was for those in the surrounding neighborhoods to attend. I can also attest that none of the girls in my H.S. were kids of well-known people. I didn't live in that part of Chicago, nor did I wish to.

And there are a TON of public schools with education goals higher than private schools. New Trier in Winnetka, Illinois for example. It is consistently rated the top public H.S. in the entire country. My sister went to the top public H.S. in the state of Georgia.

Sister Morphine said:
Just a couple slight sticking points. I am not a child of a well-known person nor am I a well-known person myself and I went to private school. I kinda got the feeling you were making private schools out to be some exclusive enclave, which some are...but most aren't. I went to an all-girls Catholic H.S. that was for those in the surrounding neighborhoods to attend. I can also attest that none of the girls in my H.S. were kids of well-known people. I didn't live in that part of Chicago, nor did I wish to.

And there are a TON of public schools with education goals higher than private schools. New Trier in Winnetka, Illinois for example. It is consistently rated the top public H.S. in the entire country. My sister went to the top public H.S. in the state of Georgia.

I described a private high school and then if you notice I followed it up with "Not that all private high schools are that way". I was just trying to ask and explain in a way where I could really get a feel for the type of school Fred went to. I wanted to know if Fred's school was the type of school that "well knowns" would attend or not.

Gee, I really didn't mean to start anything I was just trying to understand the differences between Denmark schools and American schools. I understand there are exceptions and some public schools are very good. But also remember America is a big place and our school systems are not nationally equal to each other. Some states have better systems than others. I also understand that there are different types of private schools: the ones that are more open to lots of people and the ones that are very exclusive. And that's what I was trying to get at with the questions I was asking.

dazzling said:
isnt christian abit too young for day care? how many hours does he have to go for?

I haven't heard how many hours Christian will attend yet. But apparently it is common in Scandinavian countries to start at age 1 at a daycare so Christian is obviously a little past that.

Aurora810 said:
Does anyone know what kind of daycare it is? Like a nursery school thing? Or just simply daycare for when his parents can't be with him? Or is it a daycare that is designed to help Christian get more used to being with other kids his age?

Danish Royal Watchers: Christian to begin nursery school

Courtesy Gigi & Lotte.

It's perfectly normal for a kid his age to go to nursery school in Denmark,as is explained in the article.

NO tutoring at home a là the last century please,the earlyer kids learn to commucate with lots of others their age the better.

Thanks Lucien. I don't know why I didn't think to look at the Danish Royal Watchers. Of course they would have stuff in english that I could read. Silly me!

I wonder if we can see a video online of the photocall Tuesday? I can't wait for the pictures though. Christian is such a cutie:flowers: :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom