Christening of Princess Isabella: July 1, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't think there is a problem with this name being given to a danish princess...it is beautiful name for a beautiful baby girl..I love the name, it is very elegant and sweet!

Isabella! Quite an odd name in Denmark!!! Never thought of it. I would have liked more Elisabet, it is more Danish name. I think, I have to get used to it,but it will take some time, I guess...

Many little girls in Denmark are named Isabelle. It would have been very odd to call the little girl Elisabeth instead. We already have a princess Elisabeth in Denmark

... It was even the name of a Danish Queen (though known as Elisabeth)...

"Isabella" has actually been used in this form before in the Danish Royal Family. Four times in fact, so those saying it has no Danish history/culture are not necessarily correct. The Isabellas were:
>the daughter of Eric V
>the wife of Christian II
>the daughter of Frederik I
>the daughter of Frederik II

:flowers:

"Isabella" has actually been used in this form before in the Danish Royal Family. Four times in fact, so those saying it has no Danish history/culture are not necessarily correct. The Isabellas were:
>the daughter of Eric V
>the wife of Christian II
>the daughter of Frederik I
>the daughter of Frederik II

In my danish history books is named a
princess Elisabeth (daughter of Erik 5. Klipping)
Princess Elisabeth (daughter of Frederik 1.)
Princess Elisabeth (daughter of Frederik 2.)

it says that in all my history books so where did you get your information that they were named Isabella?
The only danish royal I can find with that name is Isabella of Habsburg (married to Christian 2.)

Maybe F&M really really liked the name and decided to start a new history. They can't please everyone, and since they gave birth to her, they get to decide.

Maybe F&M really really liked the name and decided to start a new history. They can't please everyone, and since they gave birth to her, they get to decide.

Ain't that the truth :flowers:

Ugh...No "Arabella" was the title of a sad, sad, Italian soap opera I used to see when a teen.

And yes, I agree. They would have christened the girl with a Danish name. The fact her mother is (or was) Australian could not be important. Almost always, in the Royal couples, one of them was foreign, but this was not a pretext to name the Royal children with names of another root than the one of the adopted country of the father or the mother. For example: Alix of Hesse was of German origine, with a British breed (her grandmother was Queen Victoria), and married a Nicholas, the Tsar of all the Russias. Well, their children were named: Olga, Tatiana, María, Anastasia and Alexei...All four names were Russian. Princess Dagmar was Danish, but after marrying the Tsar Alexander III all her children wore Russian names: Nicholas, Georgy, Xenia, Olga and Mikhail..and so on...Of course, we can christen the children with names of another culture inspiration, but the translation must be from the country his father/mother is ruling and in which they were also born: for example, Queen Sofía of Spain christened her elder girl as Elena (who is the perfect translation of "from Greece") , but it is a name very common in most of European countries , and the other two children were named as Cristina and Felipe, very common also in Spanish nobility.

And the examples could go, and go...

Vanesa.

It IS a danish name !

It's the 20th most used in Denmark right now .

What is this madness about Isabella not being a danish name ?

This couple can really do no right to people on this board. It's insane .

Maybe F&M really really liked the name and decided to start a new history. They can't please everyone, and since they gave birth to her, they get to decide

Haha that is so true .. It's their baby, their life, will people just deal with that please. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of quick observations:

I think Isabella is a lovely name but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. Not to be snippy, but if you don't like the name...then don't name your child Isabella. Its apparent that Mary and Frederick like the name...and well that's all that really matters.

I also find it ironic that a majority of people who are complaining about the name not being Danish are well...not Danish. If they were, maybe then would acknowledge as other members have mentioned....its the 20th popular girl name in Denmark right now.

Having been named Isabella, makes her no less a HRH, or a Princess of the Kingdom of Denmark or third in line to the throne (at this point in time). It is quite simply, her name.

Hmmm. This made me think about what really bothers me about this name. Of course, legally it does not make her less of an HRH or third in line to the throne. But it does strike me as a reflection of the lesser status of the second child (and particularly a girl). Frederick and Mary adhered to the really narrow tradition for Christian's name, obviously aware of his destiny; yet for the girl they felt they could just give her any name, even one that wasn't remotely Danish. It sort of makes the statement that she does not have an important public role to play; that she is just their child and they can name her as they like.

I think Isabella is a beautiful name for a very beautiful baby .:wub:

Is it me or does Mary's dress and her lady in waiting's dress stick anyone else as simlar?

Hmmm. This made me think about what really bothers me about this name. Of course, legally it does not make her less of an HRH or third in line to the throne. But it does strike me as a reflection of the lesser status of the second child (and particularly a girl). Frederick and Mary adhered to the really narrow tradition for Christian's name, obviously aware of his destiny; yet for the girl they felt they could just give her any name, even one that wasn't remotely Danish. It sort of makes the statement that she does not have an important public role to play; that she is just their child and they can name her as they like.

While I respect your opinion, I can't help but doubt this. Why can't is just be possible that Mary and Fred like the name and wanted to name their daughter Isabella? It may not be 100% danish (like Dagmar) but it is, as people have pointed out, the 20th most popular girl name in Denmark at the moment and it does have royal history.

I just think it's funny that people can find a conspiracy or a negative to everything. Can't we just celebrate the birth of a beautiful girl who will be a part of danish history? Many people have already stated the same thing over and over, do we really need to keep discussing it?

...yet for the girl they felt they could just give her any name, even one that wasn't remotely Danish

A name which both parents clearly think appropriate and fitting for their daughter, and for a Princess of Denmark. I'm not sure as to whether or not you have read through the thread of late, but Isabelle/a is a name which is quite popular in Denmark, and so now part of the Danish culture. Whether it's origins are Danish or not.

It sort of makes the statement that she does not have an important public role to play..

It makes no such statement, and I can't understand how you feel it does.

that she is just their child and they can name her as they like

Interesting that, given HRH is their child first and foremost and as with any couple (royal or not), Frederik and Mary are answerable to no one regarding the name they chose for their daughter. They could have named her 'Daisy Doreen' if they had wanted, it was, and shall remain with any future children they may have, their choice to make.

Last edited:
i cannot understand why this name is so controversial....it is a beautiful name that i am pretty sure was picked out of love....just because it is not 100% danish does not make her less important....i just think GömdNatt made a good point why can't we just celebrate a new life and new princess than debate over her name.....:)

Princess Isabella of Denmark
or
Princess "Bella' of Denmark

It's beautiful and royal name among Elisabeth, Marie, Anne or Catherine...

We can like it or not but the little girl has this name which choose for her her parents.

Last edited:
If your observation was true - which it isn't in my opinion - the same would apply to Joachim and to Joachim's second son Felix. I still remember the 'WHAT!' reaction when Joachim was christened even though I was only a child. Joachim was definitely not a name that anyone connected with the royal family. It must be many years since any one had trouble with that name. The same goes for Felix (I know it is used in other royal families but it was definitely more sparsely used in Denmark at the time of Felix' christening than Isabella is now).
With the name Isabella, Frederik and Mary have continued the 'trend' in the DRF where the second (and any subsequent children) are given names that are not almost predetermined. Must be nice for the parents to decide for themselves.:)

I'm with the people who can't understand the furor over this little girl's name. It's a popular name in Denmark, so it's not like they named her Ruby or Star or Twinkle (not that they would anyway, but you see where I'm going) and it has royal connections, not just to Denmark but to other monarchies. It's a beautiful and dignified name and all this chest-thumping about how they should have given her a more Danish-sounding name is coming off a bit mean. They honored two very important women in Frederik's life, a very important woman in Mary's life and then for her first name went with one that was in the family, but that was not wildly used by said family. What's the problem with that? It makes her unique. There's plenty of Alexandras, Ingrids, and Elizabeths floating around that they wanted her to stand out and they chose a name that would allow her to do that.

I asked opinions from my Estonian friends and they said that Isabella is very beautiful and royal name but maybe danish expected some traditional and older name (Dagmar, Ingeborg...). Isabella is very snappy and innovative name in Danish monarchy and I think that new names will bring "new life" to Danish Royal Family.

It's a beautiful and dignified name and all this chest-thumping about how they should have given her a more Danish-sounding name is coming off a bit mean.

Ok, I'll stick to the allowed script:

Oh, what a lovely name, how pretty, and what a pretty baby.

Are you bored yet?

But it does strike me as a reflection of the lesser status of the second child (and particularly a girl). Frederick and Mary adhered to the really narrow tradition for Christian's name, obviously aware of his destiny
Well, that would be because they live in a monarchy and not a republic. Another point, and I can be completely wrong, I'm sure the Danish court (the Queen) approved the name before hand. Mary said they chose the name two weeks prior to the christenning.

I'm with the people who can't understand the furor over this little girl's name.
It's the beauty about a board like this - opinions are what keeps the forums up and running.

As for the name 'Isabella' - I adore it. I was hoping for a non-royal-related name as her first name. They did the traditional thing with Christian in full lengh, and were I have to say 'Christian' is a beautiful name, it might not have been so beautiful for Mary - but she complied (is that the correct word?)

Doesn't this name discussion reflect that we all look upon names from different angles? I am sometimes very surprised (read: appalled!) by the Danish or Nordic names that some English speaking posters really like (cf. the very long name thread before the christening). On the other hand, I found some of the suggested English sounding names almost hideous - while a number of posters seemed to like them.
We (the posters) seem to perceive names differently depending on where we come from. I just cannot understand why so many wanted Ingrid as a first name as I (sorry about this...) find that name a real no no for a small girl. Fine for an elderly lady yes, and OK as a middle name - but as the first name - no way! Lots of posters from other countries thought differently; some English names suggested in the name thread sounded quite lovely to me - while some posters had negative opinions about the name in question ('posh' / definitely the opposite etc.).
I suppose that Frederik and Mary, coming from opposite sides of the world, have had to 'weed' out names which for either one would just implicitly be a 'no no' - but which may sound quite lovely to the other one before they could agree on a name that would be acceptable to both.

Isabella is a beautiful name, however it was not expected and hence the frenzy! Obviously if Mary and Fred decided to name the child Dagmar or Inegborg or something ultra-orthodox, imagine what the child would have to go through!

She's a princess of the 21st century and obviously the only way she would inherit the Danish throne would be under the most unthinkable circumstance - which means that she would have to carve out a career for herself! I think her parents kept in mind her lineage yet also gave her the true blessing of an "ordinary" name!

I guess that the name is controversial because, supposedly, a great many Danes don't like it. But in time, they'll get used to it.

I remember the kerfuffle when Beatrice of York was named, too, and now, it's perfectly acceptable and never attracts comment.

Not to mention complaints when Queen Elizabeth named her first-born 'Charles'. According to royal biographers, Higham and Moseley, when asked for an 'explanation' Princess Elizabeth said that Charles was her favourite name!

The one name that I was confident that Mary wouldn't chose was 'Dagmar'. I understand that it's an attractive and popular name in some parts of the world but it would have held the little princess up to ridicule in Australia as the 'g' would have been pronounced, possibly making the name the butt of jokes in this country. The one name which would have thrilled Australians is 'Mathilde', but I suppose that that was too much to hope for. (I wonder if it's possible that that had any bearing on the choice of one of the godmothers?) We'll just have to be content with the very beautiful, international, Isabella.

I keep saying "Princess Isabella; Isabella and Christian; Frederik, Mary, Christian and Isabella" over and over in my head and sometimes outloud. I'm trying to get used to her name, because even though it's beautiful, it's hard to get used to her being "Isabella" when she's been "Lillepigen" for so long. I think it's like that when most babies are named. You have to get used to putting the name to the face.

I agree, it's so difficult to get rid of 'Lillepigen' and replace it for Isabella...

I remember the kerfuffle when Beatrice of York was named, too, and now, it's perfectly acceptable and never attracts comment.

And when Princess Anne named her daughter Zara. :ermm:
There have been some individual and unusual Royal names chosen over the years but I guess it is personal choice and although not, perhaps what a lot of people expected, Isabella is a pretty name.

I guess that the name is controversial because, supposedly, a great many Danes don't like it. But in time, they'll get used to it.

Not to mention complaints when Queen Elizabeth named her first-born 'Charles'. According to royal biographers, Higham and Moseley, when asked for an 'explanation' Princess Elizabeth said that Charles was her favourite name!

Remember the fuzz over Alexia van Orange! :rolleyes:

Ach... I remember when The Prince of Orange, live on television, answered on the question of the Mayor of The Hague: "Her names are Catharina-Amalia, with an hyphen like in my own name, Beatrix Carmen Victoria".

No one in the Netherlands expected "Catharina-Amalia" as a first name for the future Queen but soon enough it became rooted and almost everyone thought it was a quite regal sounding name.

Isabella is apparently not a common name in the Danish royal family. But neither was Joachim... And in the Dutch royal family we have to go back many centuries to find a Juliana in the family tree. Beatrix is even a 'new' name because her parents liked the meaning (She who brings happiness). Yet everyone thinks that these two name are quite regal. Juliana Regina.

Also note that for the younger royal infants tradition is not such a factor as for the Heir(ess). Isabella is a great name with a nice ring.

Last edited:
I'm commenting on this really late, but I just got back from a week's vacation.:D

I LOVE the official photos, especially the one where Prince Christian kisses his sister. Princess Isabella is lucky to have a big brother who will look out for her!

One last comment about the name: I like Isabella and think that it's regal. It's a nice name, and I don't think it's been used in a while for any main royal family (I don't know about any minor, minor royals with it). There are a ton of Princess Elis/zabeth's and Alexandra's of all ages, and it's nice for a break. Besides, it does have it's perks. I came across a museum in Boston, Mass. called the Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum, it's an art museum. Isabella Stewert Gardener, a wealthy art collecter, was extremely eccentric for her time (early 1900's). She set up meticulous rules for the museum in her will. One rule is that adults have to pay a fee, but any adult woman named Isabella, if she has i.d., can get in free. If Princess Isabella becomes interested in art, she can visit the museum as many times as she wants without having to pay a thing!!!!:lol:

In my danish history books is named a
princess Elisabeth (daughter of Erik 5. Klipping)
Princess Elisabeth (daughter of Frederik 1.)
Princess Elisabeth (daughter of Frederik 2.)

it says that in all my history books so where did you get your information that they were named Isabella?
The only danish royal I can find with that name is Isabella of Habsburg (married to Christian 2.)

I found this great chart on Wikipedia (I know, not the most reliable source :rolleyes:) of the Danish Royal Family from way back when, starting with the first King. And it had all the Princess Elisabeths (Isabellas as I've mentioned) listed as Isabella. But Elisabeth is a variant of Isabella, so whoever created the chart may have gone with the original name :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom