Christening of Princess Isabella: July 1, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep saying "Princess Isabella; Isabella and Christian; Frederik, Mary, Christian and Isabella" over and over in my head and sometimes outloud. I'm trying to get used to her name, because even though it's beautiful, it's hard to get used to her being "Isabella" when she's been "Lillepigen" for so long. I think it's like that when most babies are named. You have to get used to putting the name to the face.

HRH Princess Isabella of Denmark

Yay! I love Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Frederik! Talk about my serious connection to Denmark! I am so happy that the lovely baby Princess has been named Isabella, which is my first name! :lol: Isabella is the Italian version of Elizabeth, which is CP Mary's second name (her name in Spanish would be Maria Isabel = Mary Elizabeth). Going back to my connection to Denmark, the other funny thing is that my fiance Christian is Danish and my maternal grandmother's name is Henrietta! Not my intention of giving anyone a historical breath of knowledge here, but I am not surprised that Isabella was one of the names on the Crown Princely Couple's list as it is a historical name. King Christian II married Isabella of Hapsburg, Infanta of Spain, Archduchess of Austria in 1515 (I love history as you can see). So it is the name of a past Danish Queen Consort.

Long live HRH Princess Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe of Denmark and her lovely family!

Edit: Sorry about the history part about the name. It had been mentioned already by another member. It's just that I am so excited I couldn't help pointing it out! :lol: And a big thanks to everyone who posted links to the pictures.

Last edited:
Isabella...mmm. Beautiful name for a regular girl - for a princess, it somehow seems too, precious, I don't know.

But whatever. After making us wait for all these months to announce the name (and yes I know, it's tradition), I can't exactly say that by the time, now, that they do announce it, that I still care. I somehow don't , time's moved on and there seems to be less, well, relevance now, as when the girl was born. Anyone get what I'm trying to say? That by the time they reveal the not-that-original-name, I could actually care less. Had they announced it at birth, I might have, on the other hand.

Christian looked lovely, Mary looked ok, Fred, handsome as usual but also with a usual clueless look in his eyes..
Crying at the ceremony? Without having watched it, it seems self indulgent somehow..cannot help my opinion..
good looking fam though!

I like the name Isabella , but I must confess I 've expected another one for this little princess. And I was more than amazed when I saw how much she changed in some weeks! I believed the baby should be black haired and black eyed...LOL...She was blonde with blue eyes. Hahaha.

Vanesa.:D

Mary & Fred surprised many people with the name Isabella certainly not a name that entered my mind. Love the colour of Mary's dress but not sure about the style. Thought Prince Christian looked cute in his suit but why did he not have knee-hii socks on, his suit reminded me of the outfits the boys in the Sound of Music wore! Wish I was able to view the ceremony live, none of the links worked for me.

Thanks to all who posted pictures and links.

Stellad

Thought Prince Christian looked cute in his suit but why did he not have knee-hii socks on, his suit reminded me of the outfits the boys in the Sound of Music wore!
Stellad
Yes he did look like one of the Von trapp family. i like the long socks too and little lace up shoes- he still looked cute though... I am fixed on that tiny chair :wub:

I like the name Isabella , but I must confess I 've expected another one for this little princess. And I was more than amazed when I saw how much she changed in some weeks! I believed the baby should be black haired and black eyed...LOL...She was blonde with blue eyes. Hahaha.

Vanesa.:D

She is definitely not blonde - yet. She may become blonder but for now she is dark haired. Like all other infants her eyes are now blue(ish) but I think they will turn brown like Mary's.

Oh I like her name, very much.

I like that it is a name just for her. It is not someone else in the family's name (well, that I know of).

THEN she has her family names ... I find it very touching that Mary's mum is honoured first. Lovely.

Hurrah! :daneflag:

No, the Italian form of Elizabeth is Elisabetta. Isabella is a (maybe Italian) variant of the Spanish form of Elizabeth (Isabel), but it does exist as a name for itself in Italian.
I don't like the name Isabella... It reminds me of a schoolmate of mine who was nor beautiful nor nice.

Isabella is the Italian form of Elizabeth, Mary's middle name. I like that.

Last edited:
Oh! I also wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who has provided photos.

Isabella is a nice name. Henrietta is awful. Ingrid is nice too . . .
But why does every princess need such a long name? IMO thats completely unnecessary! Princess Isabella would be enough!

I will throw in my two cents:

The best dressed ladies IMHO were Princess Benedikte and her daughter Princess Alexandra, both looked elegant (love the long pearl necklace).

Mary looked radiant, healthy and with a nice complexion, much more relaxed then I remember her from Christians christening. However I don't like the dress too much, though the colour is nice. After Christians christening many said that the headpiece was more suitable for summer... well, IMHO it isn't a succes in July either ;).

Mathilde looks different then usual, I am happy that she isn't wearing the regular Natan coat/suit. I wonder if it is Brussels lace btw, still... the overall effect isn't too nice, but that might be my personal taste. What is more important: IMHO a great choise for a godmother! A pity that the Duke didn't attend though.

Queen Margrethe...well, what can we say? I tend to 'forgive' her the awfull daytime clothing, so let's say that the flowers were at least appropriate for a summer event. The Prince was the only man in a light suit I believe, very summer-like too and as Henrik is an excentric I tend to 'forgive' him too ;).

Mette-Marit and Victoria... though they weren't dressed badly I don't find their creations very appealing/special. As one isn't there to attract attention I assume it is appropriate to wear something neutral like they do. Victoria's headpiece was funny though :)

I wonder why on earth Alexia borrowed a dress from her cousin, but especially, why would she borrow this particular dress? It does nothing for her!

All children are lovely, I like Joachims boys and little Christian looked very adorable in that suit and he behaved so well! The baby is rather pretty and I like her names, at least they are traditional and seem royal.

btw, did Prince Gustav and Princess Nathalie of Sayn-Witgenstein-Berleburg attend? I don't think I saw them.

Finally on an over-all note: the idea of a headpiece instead of a hat was rather refreshing and fun a few years ago, but when almost the entire younger female attendees are wearing a headpiece the originality fades. So next time I hope to see more hats!

btw, did Prince Gustav and Princess Nathalie of Sayn-Witgenstein-Berleburg attend? I don't think I saw them.
Gustav did - WITH Carina Axelsson even though they are not formally engaged. A fact that was commented on in Danish TV - seems like the family sees it the way that they would have been engaged/married had it not been for that stupid will. I like that.:)

Did anyone notice that Mary had a new diamond ring on her right hand, I wonder if this was a gift for the birth of the new Princess?

In the video I thought it was a nice touch when Prince Henrik stopped to personally greet Crown Princess Victoria, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit. Overall a lovely service. Christian was very well behaved:flowers:

What a cute little princess !:wub: Christian and Isabella are so adorbale !

What a nice choice for Mathilde and Alexia being godmother !

Isabella is a nice name. Henrietta is awful. Ingrid is nice too . . .
But why does every princess need such a long name? IMO thats completely unnecessary! Princess Isabella would be enough!

Henrietta was the name of Mary's mother who passed away. I think it is touching that they gave it to the little princess.:flowers:

Crisscross1 I love that name Henrietta - it's really cute for a little girl to have and I also agree that it was lovely to have used this name after her mother.
It's tradition to have several names- My children have 3 also- not including their surname...:flowers:

How come Countess Ingrid wasn't there? I know her parents and little Richard attended, but I didn't see Ingrid at all. What I thought was really cute was that the bishop invited all the children to come up to the font (or at least I think he did, I don't speak Danish) and the three little boys came up to watch. I was just imagining Nikolai and Richard whispering back and forth to each other during the ceremony!

Ohh...and I noticed that on the Dr.dk broadcast, and even on the Danish Royal Watchers page, they call him Friedrich? Is he going by his first name now? Oh, and who were those three absolutely beautiful little girls? On this site (Isabella) they are on the third page, second row.

Last edited:
When I was watching the Christening, I thought I saw Mary wink at someone, I dont think it was directed to either Christian or Frederik, does anyone know? Or am I just mistaken.

I love the name Isabella.
About the Mary's dress, i´ve seen her better.

yes, thought her dress was a bit similar in style to what Mary was wearing and beautiful. (I only did not like Caroline's shoes, light grey and boring)

im not sure if this is off topic but Caroline Heering is looking beautiful today(not usually fond of her), dress/hair etc very nice. im wondering why she was choosen as a godparent along with her husband.

A wonderful christening! I enjoyed to see all the many great pictures and shows on TV, so lovely to see how touched Mary and Frederik were again and how cute the baby was. But best of all was little Christian, a real young prince behaving the best possible - just think of other royal children at their sister's and brother's christenings - running around, needing attention..:) Christian was great! :)

QUEEN ANNE MARIE; PRINCESS BENEDICKTE; PRINCESS MATILDE; PRINCESS ALEXANDRA AND PRINCESS VICTORIA ALL LOOKED LOVELY. I especially like Princess Matilde just beautiful. Princess Mary looked fantastic also. Congratulations to the Crown Princely family.

I will throw in my two cents:

I wonder why on earth Alexia borrowed a dress from her cousin, but especially, why would she borrow this particular dress? It does nothing for her!

So it is Infanta Cristina's dress that Alexia borrowed? It looked so familiar to me and reminded me of Cristina's dress. She wore it during Alexia's wedding didn't she? Too bad it didn't suit Alexia as well as it did her cousin, who looked great in it!

I was surprised that countess Alexandra wasn't there. I guess, they really are not closed.

Last edited:
I thought Mary looked beautiful. They all looked so happy, and Christian & little Isabella were so well behaved. What a lucky family they are. Congratulations to them.
Thanks to all of you for such wonderful pictures & links.

In the video I thought it was a nice touch when Prince Henrik stopped to personally greet Crown Princess Victoria, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit. Overall a lovely service. Christian was very well behaved:flowers:

I know but I noticed he did not greet Mary's father and stepmother. Isn't that incorrect?:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom