Christening of Princess Isabella: July 1, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw a picture, Isabella is just too cute, and Christian was a very well behaved young man. Did she suck on her fist a little bit? I thought I saw a little of that.:flowers:

Right now, the they are taking an extra round in front of the journalists (after the official photo session inside the castle). Jes Dorph-Petersen (the Jes Dorph-Petersen ;)) just named the very calm and collected big brother Christian Cool :)

When they were outside did Christian point at something? He usually does when cameras are around. Did Isabella sleep through her baptism?

Oh, and I'm going to stop asking stupid questions, but how do you pronounce Ingrid? Is is In-GRID of In-GREE?

Last edited:
They are walking back to their home from church and pass all the people instead of using cars. That is new. :)

Article from Side2
Side 2
I guess they'll add a Picture gallery soon (as the usually do this) ;)

About the name:
I really love the name! Great choice!
Isabella was the name I was hoping for when Infanta Sofia was born. :lol: Well, now it's the little Danish Princess who got the name and I really like it!
The other names, Henrietta Ingrid and margrethe, are very traditional and not very surprising. I like them all! I expected Mary and Frederik to chose Henrietta as first name.. well, but I'm glad they decided to take a non-traditional 1st name and combine it with traditional names. :flowers:

I don't really like the Christening outfit worn by Princess Mary ... it doesn't look very well-fitting.. anyway I like the colour and I absolutely love the recycled head-piece!
The pictures of the family are wonderful!

Oh, Christian looks simply adorable in his cute suit! They dressed him really well today! he's such a charming boy!
His little sister is too cute for words, too! Her dark eyes are so stunning!

The choice of Godparents was really a nice surprise! It's great to see Princess Mathilde as Isabella's Godmother! It's also great to Princess Alexia.. t shows the connection between the Danish and Greec Royal Houses..

The Guests were all well dressed! All very summery and happy!
Victoria and mathilde looked great!
I have to say I also like Mette-marit's coat.. it's great to see her in bright colours this time (I didn't like the dark outfits she wore for Christian'a and Sverre's christening)...

Seems as if lsabella gets blue eyes like Christian. It looked a little like that when her eyes could be seen close. They seem to become blue.

Great choice, Isabella is really beautiful name. Victoria and Mathilde looked great.

Spain/Denmark name decision

I find it odd, that the Spaniards give their daughter a name that sounds a little Danish and the Danes give their daughter a name that sounds Spanish...
Isabella of Denmark IMO doesn´t sound well suited. And you always think of a very beautiful looking girl when you say the name "Isabella" so hopefully little princess will become a beauty...

I find it odd, that the Spaniards give their daughter a name that sounds a little Danish and the Danes give their daughter a name that sounds Spanish...

Leonor or Sofía 'sounds Danish'?
Really?

Danish for me are Grethen, Kirsten, Mia, Birthen, Asta, Brigitte, Susse, etc.

Questions about guestlist

The first part of the guestlist reads, amongst more:

Hendes Kongelige Højhed Prinsesse BENEDIKTE
Hendes Højhed Prinsesse ALEXANDRA zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
Greve Jefferson-Friedrich von Pfeil

Isn't Benedikte "Hendes Kongelige Højhed Prinsesse Benedikte zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Prinsesse av Danmark" ?

Isn't Alexandra "Hendes Højhed Alexandra Grevinde von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth, Prinsesse zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg" ?

Isn't Jefferson "Greve Jefferson-Friedrich von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth" ?

Remarkable mistakes in the guestlist.
:ermm:

I love the name Isabella!

I too was hoping that the new Spanish Infanta would be named Isabella (such a beautiful name with a lot of hisotry---too me at least) but I think the name Isabella is perfect for the little Danish princess.

I also knew that Henrietta Ingrid Margethe would be in there as well...I am just glad that none of the names were chosen as first names.

And great choice of Princess Alexia as a godmother....I am a little surprised by Mathilde...what a dark horse!

Luckily, I saw the whole thing, including the interminable chatter beforehand (well, I couldn't understand a word that they said):)

I think that DK tv should be congratulated. There I was, sitting in cold old Melbourne. Australia, and watching the whole thing live on my old warhorse computer. The sound was perfect and the picture never wavered once. Well done, Denmark!

I thought it all just delightful. I didn't know who many of the guests were, but those that I did know looked attactive and nicely turned out. Mary, to me, looked summery and lovely. I really like the colour of her dress, and I think that both she and The Queen should be praised for recycling apparel. Perhaps Mary wore the same headpiece for luck. The Queen looked spectacular and seemed to really be enjoying the occasion, singing with gusto, smiling and beaming with approval on the family. TV shots of Mary, Frederik and children were wonderful. Such a handsome family! And the older boys looked very handsome, too. I absolutely loved the music and hymns, even more so as I knew the last one in English and sang along.

I like the name Isabella. True, it's very fashionable here, too, but I had a Scottish grandmother and her name was Isabel and there are two other Isabel's in the family. Maybe it has some family meaning for Mary as it's apparently an old favourite Scottish name? Or maybe they just liked the name.

All in all it was a great pleasure and a joy to watch. I hope that the little princess has a long and happy life.

Isabella is a beautiful name..perfect choice i reckon for the first name!

can't wait til the official pictures are realeased.

Does anyone know who the Godparents, Dr. Nadine Johnston and Mr. Christian Buchwald are and what their relationship is to the Crown Prince and Princess?

Leonor or Sofía 'sounds Danish'?
Really?

Danish for me are Grethen, Kirsten, Mia, Birthen, Asta, Brigitte, Susse, etc.

I don't know much about Danish but I'm pretty sure Leonor is very much a spanish name and Sofia is officially greek. Definitely not danish. Is Isabella a danish name though? It sounds more italian to me, not spanish, for then it would have been Isabel. How is it pronounced in Danish?

This is not directed to anyone in particular BUT

I think we need to consider that although Isabella is a Princess of Denmark and will represent Denmark in the future she is also daughter of Mary of Australia/Scotland and perhaps some of her name (Isabella Henrietta) is representative of Mary's heritage.

Maybe Mary's been reading up on a certain Spanish Queen and thought it'd be nice to have a religious fanatic in the family? Seriously though, Isabella is so not Danish but it's a nice name. I think they should have gone with Ingrid personally but heigh ho.

I don't know, I don't really like the name Isabella. It's a pretty name, but it doesn't seem to really fit the little princess in my opinion. oh well, i'm pretty sure it'll grow on me. I was hoping for Ingrid as well, but then I guess that's a little out of the question because of Ingrid Alexandra of Norway?
Isabella is definitely a surprise though.

I like Ingrid as well...but it is the name of Ingrid Alexandra who is Frederick's god daughter.

Maybe Frederick should have said to Haakon when he was naming his daughter...hey! You know that's my grandmother name right? I got dibs on the name!

Off topic story-road trip with my roommates before one of them gets married. We are driving to South Carolina calling dibs on names for our kids (who have yet to be born!) I called Taylor...years later one of my girls mentions that might be a possible name. You know I reminded her that I had dibs on the name:lol: She laughed like I was joking but I was dead serious:ohmy:

Okay...back to Isabella...LOVELY Name. I like the nick name Bella..I know it doesn't sound to regal but Isabella is a regal enough name when she gets older.

I don't know much about Danish but I'm pretty sure Leonor is very much a spanish name and Sofia is officially greek. Definitely not danish. Is Isabella a danish name though? It sounds more italian to me, not spanish, for then it would have been Isabel. How is it pronounced in Danish?

The danish version is Leonora and it is famous due to Leonara Christina infamous favourite daughter of Cristian IV, who spend over 20 years in prison after her fathers death.

:)

Isabella is a pretty name, it wasn'tt he name I expected but its nice. (I don't know what I expected them to name her) I liked Mary's dress nice pink but I was hoping she would wear a hat and not the the same flower thing she wore to her son's christening. Only two godmothers? I really thought they would aleast have Mary's other sister and another woman be her godmother.

Last edited:
I've now lost the link due to carelessness and tiredness, but I read on the net tonight that there was a Queen Isabella of Denmark and Norway. I think that she was Austrian born (around 1500) and the wife of Christian II Oldenburg who seemed to have been King of almost all of Scandinavia before he was deposed. Isabella was also known as Elisabeth. So there is some small historical context for the name, after all, as well as possibly some more personal connection.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Any and all posts that consist only of lovely name, oh how cute or anything else that is not contributing to the conversation will be deleted.

Danish Forum Mods

Quick observation on the godparents -- not sure how the Lutheran Church views this question, but CP Mathilde is according to Catholic doctrine only a "witness" because this was a non-Catholic baptism.

"Likewise, a Catholic may participate as a witness of a non-Catholic baptism, but not as a godparent." CUF.org :: Catholics United for the Faith

Maybe the same applies to Princess Alexia as a member of the Greek Orthodox church?

Anyway, it's a technical point.

Anyway -- kudos to Mary on her outfit (except for her recycled "aigrette"); a beautiful summer broad-brimmed hat would have been gorgeous (but the cameras couldn't have seen her face as readily. :-( ). I really liked the fresh cut of the dress; very summer-ry and appropriate. Also, Princess Benedikte -- WOW! How beautiful an outfit she sported!

Can I hire whoever is training Christian to be so well behaved when I have children?

Last edited:
A few thoughts:

1.) I had three of the four names ... Isabella? Nice, but a bit of a dark horse.
2.) I wish a member of Mary's family had invited to be a godparent -- like her step mother, Susan
3.) Nice touch that Mary wore the same headpiece as she did at Christian's christening ... didn't love her dress
4.) Alexia and Mathilde -- very nice choices ... two perfect ladies!
5.) Benedickte looked much better than what she wore at Chrisitan's christening -- still trying to figure that out!
6.) As always, Queen Anne Marie looked beautiful (BTW, would have been a nice touch if she had been invited to be a godparent ... but, then again, Alexia is her daughter)

All in all ... very nice.:angel:

Back
Top Bottom