Christening of Princess Isabella: July 1, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found this great chart on Wikipedia (I know, not the most reliable source :rolleyes:) of the Danish Royal Family from way back when, starting with the first King. And it had all the Princess Elisabeths (Isabellas as I've mentioned) listed as Isabella. But Elisabeth is a variant of Isabella, so whoever created the chart may have gone with the original name :flowers:

It's the other way round, Isabella is derived from the name Elizabeth, so the original name was Elizabeth. Which is why the Danish history books list them as Elizabeth.

It's the other way round, Isabella is derived from the name Elizabeth, so the original name was Elizabeth. Which is why the Danish history books list them as Elizabeth.

Whoops...:rolleyes: Then I wonder why they are listed as Isabella on the chart? Maybe these Princesses' names were Isabella, but were changed when they married whoever - like Henrik is now Henri

Whoops...:rolleyes: Then I wonder why they are listed as Isabella on the chart? Maybe these Princesses' names were Isabella, but were changed when they married whoever - like Henrik is now Henri

During the 1200s to the 1900s the language in court and diplomacy was French. In French, Elisabeth is changed to Isabelle (or Isabeau), thus probably in a certain time in official documents all princesses named Elisabeth were listed as Isabelles.

Bets on baby Bella boom

Princess Mary threw an Aussie-style pool party to celebrate the weekend christening of her Isabella.
Guests who attended the Fredensborg Palace Chapel in their Sunday best changed into togs for the post-baptism celebrations.
The casual luncheon spilled into a night-long party that finished some time after midnight.
Some of the cream of Danish society were photographed walking down the driveway carrying their bathers.

Bets on baby Bella boom | Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania

There are some very strange comments at the end of this article,
Has anyone here any idea what they mean?

That pool party seemed a great way to relax and celebrate after all the formalities were over.

I know I am kind of late to this discussion but I love the name Isabella. I am glad they decided to give the little princess a modern beautiful name while also honoring the past with all her middle names. I think it was a great compromise and choice.

Isabella is a very traditional royal name..although maybe not so much in Denmark. It is also the Spanish and Italian version of Elizabeth- very much a royal name.
They were very traditional with Christian's name- they are a little less traditional with this one. I like it!

During the 1200s to the 1900s the language in court and diplomacy was French. In French, Elisabeth is changed to Isabelle (or Isabeau), thus probably in a certain time in official documents all princesses named Elisabeth were listed as Isabelles.

Maybe, I didn't think of that.

BTW, this week's New Idea states, and quote "Frederik's younger brother Prince Joachim attended, with his sons Nikolai and Felix, and his ex-wife Alexandra was also present." I would love to know where they got this from, as Alexandra isn't on the official guest list or in any pictures XD

Maybe, I didn't think of that.

BTW, this week's New Idea states, and quote "Frederik's younger brother Prince Joachim attended, with his sons Nikolai and Felix, and his ex-wife Alexandra was also present." I would love to know where they got this from, as Alexandra isn't on the official guest list or in any pictures XD

It's because interest in Princess Mary is starting to wane in Australia, these poor people at the glossy mags are only trying to protect their jobs (who would blame them) they need to keep food on their tables.;) so they spice things up a bit.

It's because interest in Princess Mary is starting to wane in Australia, these poor people at the glossy mags are only trying to protect their jobs (who would blame them) they need to keep food on their tables.;) so they spice things up a bit.

Spoken like a true journo..anything you wish to share? :lol:

Interest is waning here? I don't believe that to be entirely the case. It's more that Mary is settled, and 'we', as observers are well acquainted with her 'story'. HRH is now a familiar face for millions of Australian's.

Last edited:
Spoken like a true journo..anything you wish to share? :lol:

Interest is waning here? I don't believe that to be entirely the case. It's more that Mary is settled, and 'we', as observers are well acquainted with her 'story'. HRH is now a familiar face for millions of Australian's.

No nothing to share, just an observation of the glossy mags in Australia in the last couple of years.
If they don't have a little “Creative Writing” from an unnamed source, they just don't sell and are RETURNED in dumpster loads. You only have to look at the comments on some newspapers sites to see what the Australian public thinks of the Danish Royal Family, some are quite funny some are downright rude. The reporters/writers on these mags just want to keep their jobs, thats all I am saying
When they handle the truth a little carelessly it is quite understandable, they want a monthly pay packet coming in.:neutral:

They finally fixed my internet! Might I add how cute Christian looked in his little chair! I wasn't particularly fond of Margrethe's dress though. Mary looked absolutely wonderful. Has she worn that hairpiece before?

Might I add how cute Christian looked in his little chair! I wasn't particularly fond of Margrethe's dress though. Mary looked absolutely wonderful. Has she worn that hairpiece before?

Margrethe is .... Margrethe!;) She and her husband seem to share a common love of colourful clothes which defy the description fashion or fashionable - LOL. But that must be the way they prefer it. Did you see the pics of Margrethe's rather eye-catching raingear at the birthday celebrations in Norway:)

Yes, Mary wore the same headpiece at Christian's christening.

No nothing to share, just an observation of the glossy mags in Australia in the last couple of years.
If they don't have a little “Creative Writing” from an unnamed source, they just don't sell and are RETURNED in dumpster loads. You only have to look at the comments on some newspapers sites to see what the Australian public thinks of the Danish Royal Family, some are quite funny some are downright rude. The reporters/writers on these mags just want to keep their jobs, thats all I am saying
When they handle the truth a little carelessly it is quite understandable, they want a monthly pay packet coming in.:neutral:

They get payed monthly? That must be awfull!! :ohmy: :ROFLMAO:

I do see where, it is, you are coming from.

I really think Christian had some extra classes on how to behave, he is so well behave for a 20 months baby! My son is 19 months and we went to a wedding last weekend and we couldn't stand for a couple of minutes quite and calm! He was always walking and running and he couldn't be seated in a chair for too long!!Well done Christian!

I remember the kerfuffle when Beatrice of York was named, too, and now, it's perfectly acceptable and never attracts comment.

:eek: Why? I could understand about Zara, definitely. But Beatrice? There had already been TWO British princesses named Beatrice (Queen Victoria's daughter, and her grandaughter, Beatrice of Edinburgh) Now if they'd named her Princess Catherine or Princess Joan or even Princess Matilda, I could see that because they weren't common names for a British princess (even Catherine, I don't think there's ever been a Princess Catherine of the UK, except maybe Henry 8's wife) but Beatrice was at least a name already used within the family, as a first and a middle name

Last edited:
Let's get back on topic! If you wish to discuss Mary's popularity in Australia, please start another thread. Beatrice of York and Zara Phillips have their own threads in the British forum where you can discuss their names at length. Further off-topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Thanks,

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator

Hi I know I've seen a picture of Caroline Heering somewhere, but cant relocate it. I was just wondering if anyone is able to help me please? Thanks in advance.

So wonderful to see the videos of Isabella's Christening. It was a beautiful ceremony. Christian is so cute sitting next to his papa.

Mary's purple/pink dress was so beautiful. She looked so elegant refined. The color is simply divine. No doubt it's one of her best looks.

Back
Top Bottom