Christening of Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine: April 14, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thank you for being our tutor betina!!!!

it would be good to know how th cp couple calls their kids-except isabella, it's well known from this and another forums...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think both names are awful and antiquated. But to each their own.

I cannot get enough of Isabella. She is full of life. Christian is so grow up and acting like a big brother to his sister. Love it!

More HQ pictures of Mary, Frederik, Isabela, Christian and the twins

But still where did that nickname come from. I can understand Bella for Isabella
You're right Betina, no one in Denmark would understand anything of Christian becoming 'Kit'. But no need to discuss it since Vincent is never likely to be shortened in Danish :)

I understand Kit coming from Christian...and I am not saying that that is his nickname but if you understood child speech development and them attempting to say their own name, Kit is a logical step...Children usually have trouble with saying the R sound and the S sound, so an attempt to say Christian by a toddler might sound like Kitten, the R and the S sounds are skipped...and if he is (hypothetically) calling himself 'Kitten', which is cute, the family could run with it and abbreviate it to Kit...Prince Kit is cute...future alias Kit Frederiksen, perhaps ;)

I understand Kit coming from Christian...and I am not saying that that is his nickname but if you understood child speech development and them attempting to say their own name, Kit is a logical step...Children usually have trouble with saying the R sound and the S sound, so an attempt to say Christian by a toddler might sound like Kitten, the R and the S sounds are skipped...and if he is (hypothetically) calling himself 'Kitten', which is cute, the family could run with it and abbreviate it to Kit...Prince Kit is cute...future alias Kit Frederiksen, perhaps ;)
That may very well be the explanation, but still I cannot imagine Kit for Christian in Denmark; I have had three children through kindergarden, preschool etc. and there have been a number of Christians around during the years, but I have never heard a Danish child abbreviate it to 'Kit'. It's not a logical shortening in Danish.

It's funny that of the three Josephines I know in the US, two are Jodies and one is Josie. I haven't heard anyone mention Jodie (or Jody) as a diminuitive.
I agree also, that the more "nicknames" you have, the more endearments. Our second son John is John, Johnnie, John-John, Johnnie-boy, JR etc and son on

I was just interested in the names and figured they'd but good. Alas, both are awful.

Christian and Isabella got the luck in their names. Really nice on children and will age gracefully and just right. Vincent and Josephine are already up there in age. I think of a cute little old couple who's been married for 50 years with those names.

Not my babies, but as a sibling set with all 4 it's interesting how to me they don't go together. The oldest two do in names and the younger two in names but all 4 not at all.

I was just interested in the names and figured they'd but good. Alas, both are awful.

Christian and Isabella got the luck in their names. Really nice on children and will age gracefully and just right. Vincent and Josephine are already up there in age. I think of a cute little old couple who's been married for 50 years with those names.

Not my babies, but as a sibling set with all 4 it's interesting how to me they don't go together. The oldest two do in names and the younger two in names but all 4 not at all.
That must differ from country to country then. To my ears, the name Isabella is the name that differs from the others, that is to say, I could imagine having a brood named Christian, Josephine and Vincent but would personally not choose Isabella. But in the end it's all a matter of personal taste (by the way, Josefine/Josephine is in no way an old person's name in Denmark, quite the contrary really).

As to names being oldfashioned - that can change so rapidly. The feeling of a name being 'oldfashioned' is just a matter of hearing it a sufficient number of times.

I really do not care for either name.

That may very well be the explanation, but still I cannot imagine Kit for Christian in Denmark; I have had three children through kindergarden, preschool etc. and there have been a number of Christians around during the years, but I have never heard a Danish child abbreviate it to 'Kit'. It's not a logical shortening in Danish.

Absolutely.
If Christian is to have his name abbreviated, Chrisser would be more likely.
Pronounced in Danish as something like Kresser.

It's funny that of the three Josephines I know in the US, two are Jodies and one is Josie. I haven't heard anyone mention Jodie (or Jody) as a diminuitive.

I agree also, that the more "nicknames" you have, the more endearments. Our second son John is John, Johnnie, John-John, Johnnie-boy, JR etc and son on

I completely disagree here, because my opinion is that nicknames / abbreviations are a slap in the face for the kid and the parents. I would never use any if it wouldn't have been allowed by the parents (when the kid is to young to decide) or the kid itself. Because honestely, as a parent I don't search for month for THE name just to have it changed around again and again from other people. If I wanted to have a Jodie I would have named a girl Jodie and not Josephine.

Pet names on the other hand are a completely different case, because they don't slaughter the name itself. So, if I was in Frederiks and Marys shoes I would insist everyone would call the kids Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine and nothing else. But that's just me. Others may see it differently.

That must differ from country to country then. To my ears, the name Isabella is the name that differs from the others, that is to say, I could imagine having a brood named Christian, Josephine and Vincent but would personally not choose Isabella.

This really is a funny phenomenon, because in my ears Christian doesn't go with the rest of them. It's such an 80's name over here whereas Isabella, Vincent and Josephine are more 21th century.

OK, I just had an idea. Let's take a look on which place the names of the danish royal kids are on the 2010 list of Germany:

Christian: 95
Isabella: 70 (Isabelle: 56)
Vincent: 52
Josephine: 38

Nikolai: 326
Felix: 10
Henri: 33

Germanys Top 3 2010 have been:

Mia
Hanna/Hannah
Lena

Leon
Lucas/Lukas
Ben

How about other countries? On which place are the names in Denmark or Australia or USA or Italy or ... Japan ( :ROFLMAO: ), etc? And what have been your Top 3 in 2010? That could be very interesting wouldn't you think?

Last edited:
That must differ from country to country then. To my ears, the name Isabella is the name that differs from the others, that is to say, I could imagine having a brood named Christian, Josephine and Vincent but would personally not choose Isabella. But in the end it's all a matter of personal taste (by the way, Josefine/Josephine is in no way an old person's name in Denmark, quite the contrary really).
The same goes for me. It´s Isabella that´s the odd one.

I completely disagree here, because my opinion is that nicknames / abbreviations are a slap in the face for the kid and the parents. I would never use any if it wouldn't have been allowed by the parents (when the kid is to young to decide) or the kid itself. Because honestely, as a parent I don't search for month for THE name just to have it changed around again and again from other people. If I wanted to have a Jodie I would have named a girl Jodie and not Josephine.

Pet names on the other hand are a completely different case, because they don't slaughter the name itself. So, if I was in Frederiks and Marys shoes I would insist everyone would call the kids Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine and nothing else. But that's just me. Others may see it differently.
The same for me, the name given by the parents is, at least in DK, the name they want their child to be called.
I understand that in the US the child has a certain name after what the parents wants the child to be called - ex. William is Bill aso.
But not here in DK. Here you are called your christenname and can by parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles be called a "nickname/petname".
For example I have a nephew who is christened Ulrik. To me he has always been anything but Ulrik. His mothers brother is also called Ulrik, so you see it can be confusing when calling one of them. So to me my nephew is Rumle, but it´s only me who can call him that. It´s something he and I have :wub: And his parents are okay with that. They know we have a special relationship :)

OK, I just had an idea. Let's take a look on which place the names of the danish royal kids are on the 2010 list of Germany:

Christian: 95
Isabella: 70 (Isabelle: 56)
Vincent: 52
Josephine: 38

Nikolai: 326
Felix: 10
Henri: 33

Germanys Top 3 2010 have been:

Mia
Hanna/Hannah
Lena

Leon
Lucas/Lukas
Ben

How about other countries? On which place are the names in Denmark or Australia or USA or Italy or ... Japan ( :ROFLMAO: ), etc? And what have been your Top 3 in 2010? That could be very interesting wouldn't you think?

On the list I found - Denmark firsthalf 2010
Isabella: 2
Josefine: 14 (there is none Josephine in top 50)
Christian: 17
Nikolaj: 32
Felix: 34
No Henrik or Vincent in top 50 ...

In Denmark 1th January 2011 there are
37264 with the name Christian (16649 Kristian)
Isabella: 5600
Vincent: 446
Josephine: 3725 (6076 Josefine)
Nikolai: 1814 (9121 Nikolaj, 9359 Nicolai, 3225 Nicolaj)
Felix: 1282
Henrik: 43438

Top 3 born in 2010
1. Ida
2. Isabella
3. Anna

1. William
2. Noah
3. Lucas

Top 3 of all danes 2010
1. Anne
2. Kirsten
3. Hanne

1. Jens
2. Peter
3. Lars

Btw Hello everyone :wave:

Last edited:
The same goes for me. It´s Isabella that´s the odd one.

The same for me, the name given by the parents is, at least in DK, the name they want their child to be called.
I understand that in the US the child has a certain name after what the parents wants the child to be called - ex. William is Bill aso.
But not here in DK. Here you are called your christenname and can by parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles be called a "nickname/petname".
For example I have a nephew who is christened Ulrik. To me he has always been anything but Ulrik. His mothers brother is also called Ulrik, so you see it can be confusing when calling one of them. So to me my nephew is Rumle, but it´s only me who can call him that. It´s something he and I have :wub: And his parents are okay with that. They know we have a special relationship :)

I guess i didn't really express myself that clearly. Here in the US, often the parents will choose a "formal" name, like William or Josephine and say, his name is William, but we will call him Bill, or her Jodie. Or, she is named Elizabeth for my mother but we'll call her Beth. Also, what the child wants and their friends want to call them, holds more sway.
We named our son Thomas and didn't want to call him Tom because there were others in the family. When he went to school most of the children called him Tom or Tommy which he liked. When he was 8 he told us, "you can call me Thomas but my friends will call me Tom". He's 22 now and known by both names.
However, nowadays, more and more children here go by their given, "formal" names. Elizabeth, Henry, Katherine, Benjamin.

Last edited:
Those that are parents (on these boards) know that the process of naming a child is a big responsibility...And the one rule you have to remember is that you are naming an adult and not a baby...What seems cute on a baby or small child might not be so cute on a 40 year person, think of names like Molly, Sally, Cody, etc...

Because adulthood is a larger part of our lives than the 16-20 years of childhood and adolescence and because of the circumstances of the twin's birth and their future role as representatives of the Danish royal family, they need strong names to grow into to fit this role...the names might be a bit baggy, frumpy, old fashioned and ill-fitting NOW, but think about it, they are only 3 months old...Come back in 20 years, see the grown up Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine or just plain Vincent and Josephine, and see how much their names suit them then...?

I thought the same when the Windsor boys were named, William and Henry (Harry), what old man names, but now they are strong names to suit their strong personalities and emerging role within the family...Hey, we all have to start somewhere, don't we?

Those that are parents (on these boards) know that the process of naming a child is a big responsibility...And the one rule you have to remember is that you are naming an adult and not a baby...What seems cute on a baby or small child might not be so cute on a 40 year person, think of names like Molly, Sally, Cody, etc...

Because adulthood is a larger part of our lives than the 16-20 years of childhood and adolescence and because of the circumstances of the twin's birth and their future role as representatives of the Danish royal family, they need strong names to grow into to fit this role...the names might be a bit baggy, frumpy, old fashioned and ill-fitting NOW, but think about it, they are only 3 months old...Come back in 20 years, see the grown up Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine or just plain Vincent and Josephine, and see how much their names suit them then...?

I thought the same when the Windsor boys were named, William and Henry (Harry), what old man names, but now they are strong names to suit their strong personalities and emerging role within the family...Hey, we all have to start somewhere, don't we?

Good point. Also, many drop childhood names when they reach adulthood. Our own President, Barack Obama was known as Barry in his youth...

As to names being oldfashioned - that can change so rapidly. The feeling of a name being 'oldfashioned' is just a matter of hearing it a sufficient number of times.
you maybe say that because christian, vincent and josephine sound more scandinavian than isabella(i'm not saying those names are scandinavian names). isabella, written this way, is an italian name...

but, vincent and josephine are nice names, it's just a matter of time that those names will be natural for us, i think the issue with the names is that frederik and mary surprised everyone with their decision...

I really do not care for either name.

I don't either. Prince Vincent will inevitably be called "Prince Vince" which is awful and I just can't believe that wasn't taken into consideration. Josephine makes me think immediately of Napoleon's Josephine and she may have been an Empress but not the happiest role model. I hope in time the association for that name will move to Princess Josefine of Denmark.

Stilfinderen = the stylefinder in Billed Bladet #18, 2011 informs us that the golden ballarines Bella wore at the christening are from Sofie Schooner. The color is called peach and they can be obtained at the affordable price of 379 DKK. (Just divide by 5 and you have the price in Dollars).

Last edited:
How is $75 affordable? For a pair of kid's shoes that will most probably only be worn ONCE...Oh well! Hopefully Josephine will score Isabella's hand-me-downs?

How is $75 affordable? For a pair of kid's shoes that will most probably only be worn ONCE...Oh well! Hopefully Josephine will score Isabella's hand-me-downs?

No girl at Isabella's age wears their gold shoes only once! ;)
And the amount in Danish kroner is actually a bargain for kid's shoes in Denmark. Like everything else, children's clothes and footwear is expensive here.

My experience, having spent a good deal of my life living abroad on and off, I've noticed that many places in Europe do not abbreviate, or at least, are not as prone as english speaking countries which seem to enjoy abbreviating everything. So it's not that it's not true, it's just you evidently haven't experienced what I have ;)

I find this very surprising also, may I ask where you have lived in particular?

I was in doubt whether I should write about this now or wait another nine years or so.

Billed-Bladet - Hvordan foregår en kongelig konfirmation?

After baptism comes the confirmation as you know. For ordinary Danish children adhering to the Lutheran faith it takes place when the child is 13-15 depending on where in the country it takes place and what grade the child is in. usually the children have their confirmation at the same time as their classmates. The vast majority of confirmations takes place in May.
Some children, including my own son (so far at least), opt for a nonfirmation, where they are still celebrated by their family, but it's more a rite of passage - and to get presents...

A Lars Fjordbak asks in a Q&A in Billed Bladet #25, how a confirmation takes place within the DRF.

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that the DRF differs from ordinary citizens as they are confirmed alone.
In recent generations the confirmation has taken place at Fredensborg palace church and the priest performing the confirmation is the royal confessionarius. (Right now that would be Erik Normann Svendsen.)
QMII was confirmed in Fredensborg in 1955, Frederik in 1981 and Joachim in 1982.

- It will be interesting to see what will happen at Nikolai's confirmation. That could be an indication of what will happen when M&F's children get that far.
Personally I believe Nikolai will be confirmed with his classmates in Copenhagen and the confirmation celebrated at Alexandra or, but I don't find that likely, at Møgeltønder village church with Erik Normann Svendsen performing the ritual. I think they will leave that to Nikolai to decide.

On the other hand I'm almost certain Christian, Isabella and so on will be confirmed with their classmates. Based on how I know M&F as parents I think that's a qualified guess.

It is interesting this debate about the twins´names. I personally was disappointed by the choices.I like Christian and Isabella very much, but certainly not Vincent and Josephine. And it´s not just because they are old-fashioned names. Here in Brasil, there´s been a revival of old fashioned names, like Antonio, Francisco, Bernardo for boys and Luisa, Antonia, Marina for girls. By the way, Isabella is very popular
for girls, as well, after a multitude of Julias.

Back
Top Bottom