Christening of Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine: April 14, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funnily one of Mary's Goddaughters is also called Josephine :) Josephine Fleming :)

Last edited:
Love the names. Josephine reminds me of Napoleons wife and Vincent is so different. And Mary looked great. Don´t sure about Frederik.

As a woman who has gone through five pregnancies, I don't find it difficult to be in shape. Just don't eat too much, breastfeeding will be helpful to lose some more extra-kilos as well. As to Mary of Denmark, she looks prematurely aged but she was ravishingly dressed at the baptism.

How does she look prematurely aged?

for a women who is almost in her 40s, shes not prematurely aged.
i bet that many women around 40 would want to look like her, i think Mary looks like a 35 years old women actually...

for a women who is almost in her 40s, shes not prematurely aged.
i bet that many women around 40 would want to look like her, i think Mary looks like a 35 years old women actually...
Totally agree!Mary is good-looking for her age!

Initially I didn't like Vincent - it is not a common or popular name in Britain. But having heard CP Frederick pronounce it (equal stress), it sounds better than in standard English (VIN-snt). Don't know why, it just does. I will get used to it! Josephine also sounded better when said in the Danish way, although it wasn't top of my list. However, my new little Australian great-niece, born earlier today, is to be called Matilda - so I am warming to that as well! :)

Mary looks like what she is supposed to look like...a 40 year old woman......yes there are some women who don't like to age but Mary looks like a woman who has lived.....

When we (society) expect women not to age why are we so surprised when they attempt to stop the clock?

I think she looked fabulous and I am so taken with little Isabella. What a personality that one has!

i didn't had the opportunity to read all posts, and i don't know if someone commented about this, but take a look at patricia bailey at the christening, and mary a few years back, it's the same dress! and look queen margrethe back in 1968, with little frederik, and mary at the christening, they looked very equal!!!! here are the pictures...

ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

Mary looks like what she is supposed to look like...a 40 year old woman......yes there are some women who don't like to age but Mary looks like a woman who has lived.....

When we (society) expect women not to age why are we so surprised when they attempt to stop the clock?

I think she looked fabulous and I am so taken with little Isabella. What a personality that one has!

i tottaly agree with you, she looks fantastic, and what a body she has, after 4 kids!!!!

i think that you have to look your best, not try to look younger than you are(like some princess i know), because everyone will notice that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the links,I have finally had a chance to look at them all.

Mary looked beautiful, the whole look from top to bottom, the colour of the dress the the headpiece the shoes, and one of the many reasons I like Mary is that she has calm gentlness about her.The twins are sweet, the robe worn by Josephine was so pretty, how nice that the Queen could find something like that in the attic, it would be nice if we all had attics that held such treasures.

The older two children are absolutely delighful.
Christian a well behaved and ever charming child, played his part of big brother to perfection whilst anywhere near the church, he appeared older than his years, then on the walk to the palace the high spirited five year is back, I love that.
Isabella is the sweetest of children, an adorable child, she is so full of personality, I like her spunk.
Now we have two more littlies to watch and grow, and if the two older children are anything to go by what a delight this will be.

Or anyone German speaking.
This really seems to be a language/pronounciation barrier thing. It was quite interesting to read the comments and then look where the commentator comes from. Portugese speakers seem to dislike both names, English speakers seem to have a problem with Vincent ....

I like both names. They're not my favourites that I'd give to my own children but they're both nice. To me, Josephine and Vincent are in the same category as names like Sophia and Isabella - traditional, old fashioned names - but unlike Sophia and Isabella they're not trendy, (yet). I know fifteen or twenty years ago Isabella would have been seen as an unusual name to give a little girl where I'm from but now every preschool and kindergarten class seems to have four or five of them.

Prince Vincent Frederik Minik Alexander of Denmark
Prince Christian Valdemar Henri John of Denmark

Princess Josephine Sophia Ivalo Mathilda of Denmark
Princess Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe of Denmark

All the siblings have a name starting with the same letter

This pic may be a bit late - but here is a good one of the lady in the grey dress :) The lady on the left looks like Eva Longoria !
Barnedåb: Se alle kjolerne | Starlounge

they are Mary's friends, Baroness Helle and Caroline Heering.

I find it interesting that those friends and Mary all wore dresses with the same neckline, a bateau neck which photographs well.:flowers:

I hadn't seen these pics yet, so thank you. It gave me good chance to see what most guests wore. I am impressed by only a few though I have to say. More shockers then I would have expected.

Last edited:
Would anyone know the designer of the dress worn by Caroline Heering ?

Funnily one of Mary's Goddaughters is also called Josephine :) Josephine Fleming :)
There is an article in the Australian newspaper and apparently it said they named the baby girl after her- but who knows if this is correct. Interesting though.:)

I agree- she looks amazing- i wish I had her body and I have only had two kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two surprises about the christening for me-
1. The names- like them, but was not expecting them!
2. The choice of Prince Felipe for godfather, fine choice, but somewhat surprising!

Hire nannies, chef, personal trainer and stylists and you will look just a great.

Sadly that is not true for everyone, Christina Onassis had a terrible weight problem. Self discipline is the key and many women use it as successfully as Mary has after each pregnancy.

It's great to finally see some pictures of the little ones close up & with open eyes as the photographers really failed to capture them during their own Christening.

Hire nannies, chef, personal trainer and stylists and you will look just a great.
you are correct, her lifestyle help her to look like she looks, if you look at her sister she does not look as good as her, nor pretty. She has so much help in everything that it is so easy to look like that with all that help , thought you have to have a great canvas with what to work! I would love to experience her life just for a week just to see how it feels to be with that style of life!

i didn't had the opportunity to read all posts, and i don't know if someone commented about this, but take a look at patricia bailey at the christening, and mary a few years back, it's the same dress! and look queen margrethe back in 1968, with little frederik, and mary at the christening, they looked very equal!!!! here are the pictures...

i tottaly agree with you, she looks fantastic, and what a body she has, after 4 kids!!!!

i think that you have to look your best, not try to look younger than you are(like some princess i know), because everyone will notice that...
Awwww, that´s so familiar that you share your clothes with your siblings :wub: Though I didn´t thought that we would see it this clearly with the CPC, but it´s soooooo sweet :wub:

you are correct, her lifestyle help her to look like she looks, if you look at her sister she does not look as good as her, nor pretty. She has so much help in everything that it is so easy to look like that with all that help , thought you have to have a great canvas with what to work!
I actually think that Mary's sister has a great figure for a woman with three children. The slimness is obviously in the genes of the Donaldson family.
Of course Mary's lifestyle helps her to look more refined than the average woman (e.g. her sister) but there are other princesses with the same lifestyle and the same amount of help who don't look that good. So it's obviously not that easy even for a princess.
I would say Mary's good figure is the result of genes, lifestyle and especially self-discipline. It's like giving birth to twins the natural way: of course Mary had a lot of help but she was the one who had to push them out.

I read somewhere that Prince Henrik said "Twins are ugly, they look like Princess Isabella" Is is true?

I read somewhere that Prince Henrik said "Twins are ugly, they look like Princess Isabella" Is is true?

Not exactly, he said they looked like Christian and Isabella. As an aside he said, all newborns are kind of ugly..all scrunched up and wrinkled. Henrik, like the Duke of Edinburough, as a caustic sense of humor. I don't think he'd call his grandchildren ugly.

Not exactly.
What he (jokingly) said was: The twins are ugly like all newborns.
And after that general insult to newborns :) he said (no exact quote): They look like Isabella and she has become a pretty little girl.

I like both names. Vincent was a bit unexpected but great.

Not exactly.
What he (jokingly) said was: The twins are ugly like all newborns.
And after that general insult to newborns :) he said (no exact quote): They look like Isabella and she has become a pretty little girl.

I think there is some truth behind all jokes. And, It seems like he doesn't have joking skill.

Back
Top Bottom