Christening of Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine: April 14, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Archduchess Zelia said:
The Danish press wont though, "Jo" sounds very different when you say it in Danish from when you say it in American. In the matter of fact, "jo" is a way of saying "yes" in Danish.
I think the most common way to nickname a Danish Josephine would be "Jose".

That's understandable, but I wasn't just talking about the Danish press. For example, If she becomes well known in the US she'll be nicknamed Jo...that's what I was trying to say;)

i really like both names, vincent especially.
m&f looked very beautiful, i particularly loved fred's tie matching isabella's dress.
isabella is absolutely adorable and very lively, she is definitely my favourite child within the royal family. just hope vincent and josephine will turn out as energetic as she is, they will be a wonderful trio!

Finally watching it thanks to the links from DR. At first I didn't like the idea of having it at such a small church but turns out I really like the intimacy of it all as for the names haven't decided how I feel yet I'll hold off a bit on that one.

When we will see the official photos? Perhaps tomorrow?

Josephine is fairly stylish in the United States, especially with the Yuppie/hipster parents. It ranked somewhere around #308 for girls born in 2010 here. In Denmark Josefine is still in the top 20. It doesn't sound too old-fashioned to me. Vincent, on the other hand, is still in use in the U.S. but it's also out of style. It seems very Italian to me, the kind of name you'd hear on "Cousin Vinnie" in "The Sopranos." I wonder where they got it.

Thanks. any more pics of Mary's family as it looked like her brother was there.

Any information on the gowns. The boy looks the same as Christian and Isabella but the girl twins gown looks different.

I just love watching Isabella..energetic little doll, isn't she? I read somewhere that she flashed the peace sign during the pictures, anybody has a link for it?
And isn't Christian pretty adorable. playing the older brother role to the max. He was the one directing Isabella where to go and playing with the baby.
Also love Felix, Nikolai and Henrik...it was the children who stole the show during the event.

I must confess that the babies names totally came of as a surprise for me. Maybe Minik :baby: and Ivalo :baby: are old traditional danish names. Also, when i first saw the names written i tought they were sooooooo strange.... But the, when i heard P. Christian and P. Mary, actually pronoucing them out loud, they sounded so much nicer... :crown4: :crown4: :crown4:

:daneflag:

Any information on the gowns. The boy looks the same as Christian and Isabella but the girl twins gown looks different.

They didn't wore the same kind of gown. Prince Vincent wore the traditional gown & Princess Josephine wore a gown that the Queen had found when she was going through some stuff on Amalienborg. Apparently Queen Ingrid recieved it as a present when Margrethe was going to be christened, but they never used it.

I actually think that the name Ivalo is quite beautiful, I love it's uniqueness. I still have to get used to Vincent though, I see it's beauty (well actually, when I look at the name, I think of the TV show Judging Amy where Amy's brother is called Vincent), but I just don't think it fits when you say "Prince Vincent".

Last edited by a moderator:
What can I say? My name is Angela Josephine! I have personally always loved the name and thought it so feminine so I am really pleased yet from a Danish point of view I would have loved the princess to have been named Dagmar. As for the Prince I really hate the name Vincent, unfortunatley.

Last edited:
Just hope he doesn't end up by being called "Prince Vin" has he already has been over here :sad:

I must confess that the babies names totally came of as a surprise for me. Maybe Minik :baby: and Ivalo :baby: are old traditional danish names. Also, when i first saw the names written i tought they were sooooooo strange.... But the, when i heard P. Christian and P. Mary, actually pronoucing them out loud, they sounded so much nicer... :crown4: :crown4: :crown4:

:daneflag:
Minik and Ivalo are Greenlandic names. They used them because Frederik and Mary wanted to honor Greenland.

Just hope he doesn't end up by being called "Prince Vin" has he already has been over here :sad:
Well Princes Nicolai, Felix, and Bette Henrik can all say "Hey there's "My Cousin Vinny!";)

Am I the only 1 that likes both names??

I believe you are. LOL

No, she's not. Actually I'm more fond of Vicent than of Josephine. I like both names, but while Vincent is one of my absolute favorites for a while now (why haven't I ever thought about this name for Elvis?), Josephine is slowly falling down. Maybe it's because this name became more and more popular in Germany during the last years.

Also I'm very surprised about the greenlandic names. It's a very nice gesture and I like the name Ivalo. It sounds nice. But I'm a little confused about Minik. It's sounds to much like "mimic" = "facial expression". I really do have to get used to this name.

Last but not least: I guessed Mathilda right. YES! Even if it's just the last of all those first names (because I heard there are just first names in Denmark and no middle names. Correct me if I'm wrong here) I still had it right. And Sophia also has both my thumbs up. But than again, I'm known for being a Sophia-fan. Right, Lumutqueen? :ROFLMAO:

EDIT:

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this information yet. It's straight from the royal website:

Godfathers and Godmothers The Prince

Mr. John Stuart Donaldson

HRH Crown Prince Felipe des Asturies

H.H. Prins Gustav zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

Hofjægermester, greve Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille

Baronesse Helle Reedtz-Thott

Hofdame Caroline Heering

The Princess

H.K.H. Prinsesse Marie

Son Altesse Royale le Prince Charles de Bourbon des Deux-Siciles

Mrs. Patricia Bailey

Hofjægermester, lensgreve Bendt Wedell

Fr. Birgitte Handwerk

Mrs. Josephine Rechner

Last edited:
Prince Felipe is in Jordan right? So he wasn't present? I was, at first, hopely he and his wife would make an appearance until I remembered they were in Jordan. I am curious to know why very few ruling monarchies sent royals for the christening. Felipe and Letizia don't really seem as connected with the other royals. Is there any reason why? But then again the british monarchy doesn't either except Charles on occasion and Edward and Spohie.

Mathilda was my great-grandmother's middle name...spelled that way too. lol I can't decide now whether little Josephine looks like a Josephine or a Mathilda...

Maybe Josephine was for her godmother? And who stood in for Prince Felipe since he wasn't there?

Can someone identify the two ladies that were sitting behind Fred and Mary? The one in the blue dress and the one in the gray lace dress.

I'm totally caught off gaurd by Vincent. Josefine is not a suprise at all.

I absolutely adore Christian and Isabella. They are so charming. Christian already has the makings of a great king!

I love both names. Vincent is our boys name, should we ever have one (not going to hold my breath :)). Everyone looked good, but Isabella was definitely the star! :flowers:

I'm not a fan of the name Vincent, but I do love Josephine. I just didn't think Mary and Frederik would ever choose it.

I officially added these two bundles of Joy into my Family Tree Maker file. Christian and Isabella were so adorable! I wonder what gift Mary got for having twins.

Can someone identify the two ladies that were sitting behind Fred and Mary? The one in the blue dress and the one in the gray lace dress.

I'm not sure who the lady in the blue dress is, but the lady in the gray dress is Mary's L-i-W Caroline Herring. I'm looking for a good picture of her outfit because I absolutely loved it!

Maybe this photo can calm you down a bit :flowers:

Oh wow, Prince Vincent looks like his brother while baby sister Princess Josephine looks like... Princess Amalia and her sisters! :ROFLMAO:

Right, random observations:
The names are all right, not anything I'd go crazy for. I know so many Vincents, it's not Royal-sounding so I'm not really excited but as someone says, the baby is starting to look like a Vincent. :D Out of all his names though, I'm most loving Minik! *sigh* How I wish they'd named the little boy Victor Frederik instead of Vincent but ah well, no point to that now.

Josephine's ok as well. Epic fail on my powers of names prediction though, lol. That Fred and Mary, they sure like to surprise us.

V&J's names are all in all, just all right. The first two sound good together--Vincent Frederik and Josephine Sophia but adding the rest of their names don't make a very melodious first name, unlike Isabella's 4 names or Elisabeth of Belgium's.

Joachim's bunch is really good-looking. Henrik will grow up as handsome as his brothers. I think had he been Alexandra's kid, he'd still look like that, lol.

I think Isabella stole the show. She is so adorable and full of life! She seems like a really fun kid. I love how she's always playing with her skirt, like she's not used to wearing anything so girlie girl.

Oh and final, most striking observation: CP Frederik's one yummy daddy these days, what the beard and the salt and pepper hair and the smile. He used to look so boyish, now, onto his 40s, he is looking like a youngish middle-aged man. CP Mary is one lucky girl! Love that shade of blue on her, btw.

Back
Top Bottom