Christening of Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine: April 14, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I missed the christening since I had to be elsewhere... :bang: Is there a place where I could watch the whole thing? Vincent... well that certainly is a surprise and I'm not sure I like it. The only other famous Vincents that come to mind are Van Gogh and Price. Josephine I like very much. :) But the other names... Josephine Sophia Ivalo Mathilda..?! Ivalo as in the place in Finland? Is that even a name?! Vincent Frederik Minik Alexander... Don't know about Minik... It sounds weird too.

Last edited:
Beautiful chistening gowns on both children. Doees anyone know if they've been used previously; or are they new?

Love, love, love Josephine :) In either spelling - Josefine is lovely too. Jury's still out on Vincent, but I guess we'll get used to it in time.

Lovely choice to honour Greenland with Minik and Ivalo.

Can you please explain to me the significance of those names - Minik and Ivalo - their meanings ?

One interesting fact about the name Vincent, it's the name of one of the patron saints (Vincent of Saragossa) for vintners, as prince Henrik mentioned.

Vincent was a surprise name, but I like it and it's quite popular in Sweden as a name for boys, it was the 20th most popular given name in Sweden in 2010, I don't know how it is in Denmark.

I had hoped for the name Caroline Mathilde for the little princess, after queen Caroline Matilda of Great Britain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia of Denmark, her life was very sad and she died young.

Josephine Sophia Ivalo Mathilda..?! Ivalo as in the place in Finland? Is that even a name?! Vincent Frederik Minik Alexander... Don't know about Minik... It sounds weird too.
Oh yes, both Ivalo and Minik are greenlandic names.

Can you please explain to me the significance of those names - Minik and Ivalo - their meanings ?

They are a reference to the hunter gatherer culture in Greenland.
Hence the in modern context odd reference to Minik meaning something like blubber
And Ivalo meaing something like sinew.

Things of crucial importance in a culture which hunt polar animals.

What a beautiful day! Vincent & Josephine are nice names! Mary is really beautiful as always!! Christian & Isabella holding hands are so cute. Isabella in her dress is a little doll!
Vincent & Josepine are precious!!
All together made a beautiful family! I wish to them the best!!

Mary's mother in law dress is so...well it misses me the words ;-)))

What a beautiful day! Vincent & Josephine are nice names! Mary is really beautiful as always!! Christian & Isabella holding hands are so cute. Isabella in her dress is a little doll!
Vincent & Josepine are precious!!
All together made a beautiful family! I wish to them the best!!
Yes,very nice names and unexpected!Never thought of French names in their case,maybe if it was Marie...Classical and beautiful in a word!

This is why I find the name Ivalo strange: Ivalo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia For me it is the same as if the child had a name like Copenhagen or Helsinki. I do understand why they wanted to include those names in there, Minik and Ivalo. Just sounds weird to me regardless, being Finnish. ;)

Vincent and Josephine are beauitful names, to suit beauitful children.

I am happy I just saw them getting named, all is good, I get to see it before most Aussies are awake, now it is time for me to say good night

Last edited by a moderator:
Vincent is a "handsome" name - Prince Vincent - imagine him when he is older - in his 20's for example - it would suit him more then.

Josefine - an old-fashioned name - and I am sure it will grow on us as her personality develops :)

Prince Vincent Frederik Minik Alexander is an adorable name, Vincent was very unexpected & I guess that was why Erik Norman Svendsen said that we'd be surprised. I'm happy to see Alexander there, such a beautiful name.
Princess Josephine Sophia Ivalo Mathilda is an incredibly beautiful name. I'd kinda expected Josephine & I think it fits the little princess very well :) I'm extremely psyched to see Sophia & Mathilda there (I really believed we'd get a Princess Mathilda).
Minik & Ivalo are such beautiful names & it's such a big honor to give them Greenlandic names. Especially Ivalo is an amazing name IMO.
Prince Christian & Princess Isabella were adorable, they were so affectionate around their younger siblings, it was so cute.
Crown Princess Mary was beautiful (as always) & Crown Prince Frederik looked so proud.
It was nice to see that Crown Prince Felipe is a godfather although he wasn't present.

A gallery from Jyllands Posten: JP Foto

A gallery from jv.dk: JV.dk - Nyheder - Indland - Nu er de royale tvillinger døbt: Se tvillingers navne her

I now learn that Minik means "the one who is thirsty for breastmilk"
And Ivalo means, among other things, "little sister" or "butterfly".
But that´s not true... :ermm::ermm::ermm:

According to links from Madeleine, then this is the meaning:
Links from "Our Madeleine" about the greenlandic names:

Minik
Minik (Minik)
Girls and boys name originally from Avanersuaq/Thule. The name has since spread to the rest of Greenland.

Meaning: Samuel Kleinschmidt defines the word minik in his Greenlandic dictionary (Den grønlandske ordbog fra 1871 p. 211), that minik is "1) Blubber, which has become a viscous glue-like substance (of which a thin layer has been exposed to the action of the air, fex. outside, or on the rim of, a blubber vessel); 2) earwax.)"

According to Jonathan Petersen’s ’ordbogêraĸ’ from 1951 p. 101 the word minik means ’hardened layer of fat’.

Kleinschmidt's next entry is: 'minippaa or minitserpaa, pastes the seams of the boat with minik.'

The name Minik might derive from these definitions. A significant portion of Greenlandic names have their origin from the daily life, some of them dealing with the household and its tools, as well as hunting life and its equipment. Minik might belong to this category, however a mainstream interpretation is Kleinscmidt's no. 2 definition.

Minik might also belong under the cathegory of babbling names, which is quite common in Greenlandic names. Minik could derive from the diminutive ending –mineq (inumineq: little piece of man fex.), with the ending remaining. (It would be the same as the German diminutive in Gretchen, where the name Gretel has been omitted in favor of -chen.) Several diminutive endings have found their way into the approved names list, names such as: -nguujuk, -nguaq, -kuluk, which all bear the meaning´dear little one’. Due to cooing with babies and constant use, consonants often weaken. A good example is the girls' name Natuk, which is believed to be a babbling form of inequnartoq (cute and sweet), with the following process: unoqunartoq -> uukunattuk -> nattuk -> natuk). Thus mineq can become minik.

The name is short and easy to pronounce, and this might be the reason why it is so popular. Also the fact that several books were published about the controversy concerning the boy Minik, who in 1897 was brought with his family to New York by Robert E. Peary, might have had an impact on the popularity of the name. According to statistics, only a handful of people (10 persons) bore the name Minik in the 50s, 60s and the 70s. But after the books were published, there was a marked increase of boys being named Minik, 57 persons in the 80s and 84 persons during the 90s.

Number of name bearers: Minik 152 (72 in DK), totalling 224, of which only 4 were girls.

and

Ivalo
The CPC has chosen the old spelling for Ivalo :)
Ivalu (Ivalo)
Girls name originally from the Thule region.

Meaning: sinew.

Number of bearers: Ivalu 128. Ivalo 103.

Last edited:
The Crown Princely Couple would gave them more beautiful names, I think.

Notice the magnificent model of the sailing ship suspended from the ceilling. The man of war, Christian Quintus is from the 1600's.

You'll see ships like that in most Danish lutheran churches.
The ship symbolize the journey through life - so it has nothing to do with this being a naval church.

Actually, the ship symbolizes the passage in the Bible where Jesus says "I will make you fishers of men." Lovely.

Were there previous Danish royals or ancestors named Josephine and Vincent? I can think of the Empress Josephine and her granddaughter who became Queen of Sweden, and they have descendants named after them. Any ideas about a Vincent?

But that´s not true... :ermm::ermm::ermm:

According to links from Madeleine, then this is the meaning:
Links from "Our Madeleine" about the greenlandic names:

Minik

I don't know. :ermm:

Billed Bladet and Berlinske says Minik = thirsty for breastmilk and Ivalo = little sister/butterfly.

Doesn't matter that much to me. I like that they selected Greenlandic names, whether the meaning is a reference to the hunter culture or more a sort of loving nicknames for children isn't that important to me.

I like the same, but hopes that it will be a name in the swedish royal family later on
princess madeleines middle name is Josephine

I don't know. :ermm:

Billed Bladet and Berlinske says Minik = thirsty for breastmilk and Ivalo = little sister/butterfly.

Doesn't matter that much to me. I like that they selected Greenlandic names, whether the meaning is a reference to the hunter culture or more a sort of loving nicknames for children isn't that important to me.
I agree with you :flowers:

Is there a video of the entire ceremony? The YouTube video is great but it's only about 10 minutes.

What others royals were present? Besides the Danish royals? Any of the Swedish or Norwegian royals attend?

Wow! The Babies are adorable! Princess Mary looks BEAUTIFUL! Prince Christian looks so dapper, Princess Isabella looks like a little doll. I think it's nice that Mary has worn the same facinator for all three christianings. Kind of links them all together! And she's wearing the same brooch she wore for Christians event.

Back
Top Bottom